AVS Forum banner

13801 - 13820 of 38992 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have been gone for 10 days got back last night and there was an update message on the Oppo 203. What did this firmware Update? Thanks

Sent from my SM-T817T using Tapatalk
You have probably just updated to the latest official firmware 38-0222 since the Oppo doesn't prompt for updates for beta firmware. Latest beta is 41-0317B.

Reactions: gwsat

·
Registered
679 Posts
I haven't been into sneakers since way back when in high school I traded my Chuck Taylors for a pair of Adidas Superstars. Sneakers are a big, big deal in the neighborhood where I work and tonight I came across a store window that caught my eye. [see ]
Notwithstanding the fact that Dolby chose not the register the trademark for Atmos in the Boots, shoes, and leggings category, I've been thinking a lot about Atmos lately. Not that I have Atmos in my home, me having gotten my panties all knotted up fretting about which pre/pro to purchase to the point where I alleviated the anguish and plopped my money down on a decent DAC instead. Anyway, certainly Dolby tagged their TrueHD files are decorated with Atmos sprinkles, I asked myself. My search led to some code and discovered that code found its way into the latest version of MediaInfo, and sure enough, it correctly identifies audio tracks with those Atmos sprinkles. So, how does one ask Oppo to include this Atmos metadata in their detailed info pop-up window?

Regardless, two other questions:
Can the 203 read the newer but underutilized 256 byte EDID frame blocks? Can the 203 read HDMI InfoFrame?

Attachments

·
Registered
197 Posts
Units purchased from Oppo always seem to ship with the latest official firmware at the time of shipment. I remember from a posting on earlier Oppo models that it is their standard practice to update the firmware before shipping. So, even in the unlikely event that a new player had been on the shelf for months, an Oppo tech will update its firmware before shipping it to you. Now, if there is a beta firmware around at the time of shipment, you won't get that on your unit. If you wanted to apply that firmware, you would have to do it yourself when you got the unit.
Not always it seems. I just got one delivered yesterday direct from Oppo and it was on the original firmware. Though the update was quick and easy.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
I came across interesting behavior - it's probably going to be a disc authoring issue but since I'm not sure I'll just throw it out there.

I was watching the new Fantastic Beasts UHD (discussed previously) in glorious Atmos (after changing from the default). I turned everything off partway through since it was bedtime. Yesterday I restarted the movie and was asked if I wanted to continue where I left off. Sure! A minute later I realized that I was listening to the lowly DTS-HD MA track. Hmm...used the remote to change the audio track and all was well again. Just to verify, I stopped the movie, restarted, and DTS was active again.

I'm guessing the disc isn't writing the audio choice to persistent storage for restart. Or something similar.

The 203 is playing the movie flawlessly, so it's not a big deal really.

Thoughts? Should I go ahead and report this to Oppo anyway? I'm thinking yes...

·
Registered
HT Room: Atmos 7.1.4 with 117" 21:9 AT DYI screen & prism; Bedroom: Atmos 5.1.4 with 55" OLED
875 Posts
Can the 203 read the newer but underutilized 256 byte EDID frame blocks? Can the 203 read HDMI InfoFrame?
Yes, and yes. If the EDID were only 128 byte, it would be a DVI device. HDMI features (such as audio) require a 256 byte EDID. InfoFrames are also mandatory for HDMI devices. Outputs have to send them, and inputs have to parse them.

And, where did you get the idea the EDID is "underutilized"? It's bursting from the seams, especially in HDMI repeater devices like AVRs.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Yes, and yes. If the EDID were only 128 byte, it would be a DVI device. HDMI features (such as audio) require a 256 byte EDID. InfoFrames are also mandatory for HDMI devices. Outputs have to send them, and inputs have to parse them.

And, where did you get the idea the EDID is "underutilized"? It's bursting from the seams, especially in HDMI repeater devices like AVRs.
I was under the wrong impression, sorry. I was just trying to suss-out where HDR info fits in the EDID spectrum vis-a-vie the 203's HDMI In port and reasons it is hobbled in the 203. Will the HDR descriptor fit in the main 256 byte block or is an extension block and accompanying map required? Is there any info in an InfoFrame not in the EDID which the 203 could utilize?

·
Registered
22,170 Posts
I came across interesting behavior - it's probably going to be a disc authoring issue but since I'm not sure I'll just throw it out there.

I was watching the new Fantastic Beasts UHD (discussed previously) in glorious Atmos (after changing from the default). I turned everything off partway through since it was bedtime. Yesterday I restarted the movie and was asked if I wanted to continue where I left off. Sure! A minute later I realized that I was listening to the lowly DTS-HD MA track. Hmm...used the remote to change the audio track and all was well again. Just to verify, I stopped the movie, restarted, and DTS was active again.
Already discussed at length. the disk itself is forcing a default to the DTS track. The player has no choice in the matter. Complaints go to the studio.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Apologies if this has been discussed, but I didn't see anything about this other than converting HDR to SDR. I put in Arrival as a test, and while I know it's a darker movie, this seems really dark. Anything recommended to brighten things without washing it out? The Oppo menu itself is bright.

I have it going through a Denon AVR S710W via the provided HDMI, to a LG EG9600UB via HDMI. Everything is on current firmware.

·
Registered
9,929 Posts
Apologies if this has been discussed, but I didn't see anything about this other than converting HDR to SDR. I put in Arrival as a test, and while I know it's a darker movie, this seems really dark. Anything recommended to brighten things without washing it out? The Oppo menu itself is bright.

I have it going through a Denon AVR S710W via the provided HDMI, to a LG EG9600UB via HDMI. Everything is on current firmware.
By most accounts (including the filmmakers and studio) that is how the movie is intended to look in HDR. (You will notice an occasional bright day scene/flashback and it looks "normal" for a minute.)

Some people have decided to watch the BluRay version instead of the UHD because of this.

·
Premium Member
1,554 Posts
Already discussed at length. the disk itself is forcing a default to the DTS track. The player has no choice in the matter. Complaints go to the studio.

I know it was previously discussed...I don't recall anything being discussed about the same behavior on a restart though. Ok, disregarding and carrying on. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Not always it seems. I just got one delivered yesterday direct from Oppo and it was on the original firmware. Though the update was quick and easy.
Sorry to ask. Was wondering if your machine is from Nov 2016 manufacturing date?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,906 Posts

Yes, swap your OLED TV for a Sony Z9D!:D

As was already mentioned, this film was authored to look that way, as illustrated by the few flashback/flashforward scenes that are lit normally.

Nonetheless, the Arrival UHD Blu-ray's picture on my Sony XBR-65Z9D, although decidedly dark, had beautiful contrast and no loss of detail. The UHD-203 is delivering the signal faithfully; it's up to your display to convert that signal into an acceptable image.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
@Tom C Interested in your "by the way" comment that your 203 has defaulted to 1080p. Happened to me, too, when I played a 4k disc of "Inferno". It also defaulted to 2.1 stereo. I thought it might be a screwup by me. I'm on the latest official firmware, but not the Beta. Next disc played was a BR, and it properly went to DTS:HD+ Neural. I wonder if this is a bug?

Reactions: cTwining

·
Registered
379 Posts
Hi all,

Sorry for the dumb question, but what is this DTS:HD+ Neural? On some of my discs this is the audio mode on my Denon 4200. Is that better sounding? I only have 3.1 and usually swap it to DTS: HD MA.

·
Registered
679 Posts

Yes, it is a dark movie but I personally have quibbles about its authoring in HDR. Some adherents argue that it is the lowly masses with inferior TVs incapable of correctly rendering the movie. You can fiddle with the TV's settings and get an acceptable picture but you run into the issues inherent in going from HDR to SDR in a simple minded manner. An easy solution is to register the Vudu Digital HD redemption code and watch the streamed Dolby Vision version. IMHO that version is closest to the theatrical release. It's a great movie and the DV rendition is excellent and far more acceptable than the UHD disc..

·
Registered
45 Posts
December

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
That's about right as yours is a Dec 2016 manufactured machine.. thus getting a 1209 fw.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

13801 - 13820 of 38992 Posts