AVS Forum banner

15121 - 15140 of 38991 Posts

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,678 Posts
I did some research and found this link. It shows how to connect an iPad to an Oppo 103 via USB or HDMI. There is a response at the very bottom that states it did not work on the 203 but with no details. Do you think it would be worth a try? I would lean toward the USB connection as I would think it should be more stable than HDMI.

https://medium.com/@rezakabir/how-to-play-spotify-on-your-oppo-blu-ray-player-or-any-dac-5a5b98d4f516

I did some more research on connecting a computer to the Oppo and saw that there exist USB to HDMI adapters. Could I possibly use one of these from my laptop to the HDMI IN of the Oppo? Searches seem to indicate that Spotify can be connected to a TV via HDMI and the adapter does transmit audio.

https://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-External-Multi-Monitor-Graphics-USB32HDEH/dp/B00C2AS5C6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

There are also USB to RJ45 adapters, but I am guessing the Oppo is not designed to receive audio over the network?
That article doesn't specify which model Oppo model was used, but it would have had to be the 105 as the 103 and 203 do NOT have USB DAC inputs. The same method should work with the 205.

For HDMI, it really doesn't matter if it comes from your iPhone, iPad, or your PC as long as you're sending a standard HDTV resolution (i.e.: 1080P).

·
Registered
79 Posts
I did some research and found this link. It shows how to connect an iPad to an Oppo 103 via USB or HDMI. There is a response at the very bottom that states it did not work on the 203 but with no details. Do you think it would be worth a try? I would lean toward the USB connection as I would think it should be more stable than HDMI.

https://medium.com/@rezakabir/how-to-play-spotify-on-your-oppo-blu-ray-player-or-any-dac-5a5b98d4f516
As noted in the link, going through an Apple TV via AirPlay is a much simpler method (if you already have an Apple TV ;) ), and would bypass any potential problems with a 203. Or get a video card for your computer that does HDMI out.

Reactions: GGA

·
Premium Member
2,638 Posts
There is no way to change the background.

However you can use Pure button (upper left on Remote) to blank the screen entirely and also turn off the Front Panel display. Press Pure button again to get those back. I use Pure Mode this way all the time when playing music.

The Front Panel will also light up again, for a few seconds, each time you do an operation with the Remote (while the video remains blanked).
--Bob
Thanks for the suggestion Bob. I'll give Pure Mode a try. I'll still not see the info about what's playing but it's no doubt better than having the bright blue background on the TV lighting up the entire room (I often listen to music with the room lights down). That really spoils the mood for me.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Has anyone experienced the following issue? This happened to me so far with Inferno and Deepwater Horizon UHD Blu-rays. I am running the current public firmware (UDP20X-42-0329).

I power up my 203 (and the menu screen displays normally), open the tray, insert the disc and close the tray. After a few seconds, I hear introductory audio, but no image is displayed (a black screen, not an HDMI sync problem screen). The player then apparently locks - the counter stops incrementing and there is no response to commands other than Power. I press the Power button and wait for the player to reboot. After it reboots, it loads and plays the disc (which is still in the tray) flawlessly.

I am in touch with Oppo, but appreciate any thoughts from fellow users. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Has anyone experienced the following issue? This happened to me so far with Inferno and Deepwater Horizon UHD Blu-rays. I am running the current public firmware (UDP20X-42-0329).

I power up my 203 (and the menu screen displays normally), open the tray, insert the disc and close the tray. After a few seconds, I hear introductory audio, but no image is displayed (a black screen, not an HDMI sync problem screen). The player then apparently locks - the counter stops incrementing and there is no response to commands other than Power. I press the Power button and wait for the player to reboot. After it reboots, it loads and plays the disc (which is still in the tray) flawlessly.

I am in touch with Oppo, but appreciate any thoughts from fellow users. Thanks!
I can only say that I have Inferno and it played through with no issues at all. Including pausing for breaks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
are there news from Oppo about fixing the HDMI Audio Out Synch issue? dont want to replace my AV Receiver yet and want to use Oppo 203 to bypass the 4K signal. can't watch any UHDs as Audio is out of synch nor NETFLIX / Amazon 4k content via Nvidia Shield. Also onboard synch-tools are not helpful. TIA

·
Registered
64 Posts
Also I was considering getting an amplifier and use the oppo at a pre amp but would it be better to just get a marantz 1607 for the processing? I'm just going to be running a steep setup. sorry if the question is worded incorrectly. I am not very knowledgeable of audio components, but I'm trying :)

·
Registered
288 Posts
are there news from Oppo about fixing the HDMI Audio Out Synch issue? dont want to replace my AV Receiver yet and want to use Oppo 203 to bypass the 4K signal. can't watch any UHDs as Audio is out of synch nor NETFLIX / Amazon 4k content via Nvidia Shield. Also onboard synch-tools are not helpful. TIA
Doesn't your AVR have a lipsync adjustment? Have you tried setting the Oppo output to LPCM instead of Bitstream?

·
Registered
475 Posts
If I hook up a streaming device to the oppo players hdmi input, does the OPPO improve the quality since it has to process the image to the tv?
Yes, it improves the image.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Yes, but unfortunately only into one direction to make it worse. I deactivated displays picture processing feature and I am close to sync. Maybe just one or two frames off.
Hmmm, I don't understand that. Generally you need to delay the audio to account for processing in the display, which is what you do by adding delay in either the AVR or the Oppo menu. The fact that you've reduced the vision processing delay and made the sync better supports this. So I don't understand why adding more delay in the AVR isn't improving things.

·
Registered
21 Posts

Hmmm, I don't understand that. Generally you need to delay the audio to account for processing in the display, which is what you do by adding delay in either the AVR or the Oppo menu. The fact that you've reduced the vision processing delay and made the sync better supports this. So I don't understand why adding more delay in the AVR isn't improving things.
I have been keeping up with this thread since day one. I don't recall this being a problem for most and to my knowledge it is not a bug with the 203 . I think steve is right it is in your AVR or display settings.

·
Registered
361 Posts
How does the analog audio output of the 203 compare to that of the 83? Has anyone here owned both of these units?
I am curious about the stereo output in particular, which I use for regular CD listening.

I am considering upgrading to the 203, but would love to hear from anyone who has had both models and used the analog outs. Would I be taking a step backwards in quality?

·
Registered
179 Posts
Well time out . 205 arrived at 1780 euros here
As it shares same Fw i will wait for next Fw to see these resolved:
concerning the issues that remain in 203
a) hdmi lip sinc
b) hdmi in performance with lossles audio (Dts MA & Dolby tru hd)
c) lip sinc slider working for hdmi out2 with bitstream

All the best for you all

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
How does the analog audio output of the 203 compare to that of the 83? Has anyone here owned both of these units?
I am curious about the stereo output in particular, which I use for regular CD listening.

I am considering upgrading to the 203, but would love to hear from anyone who has had both models and used the analog outs. Would I be taking a step backwards in quality?
I have the 83 Nuforce, so it's probably not a fair comparison.
The 83 has a decent output, so it will outshine in stereo.
But as a transport, the 203 does a good job outputting to my Marantz DAC, and it's bang up to date, so it is my choice for a good audio and video transport.
However if your 83 is still working fine, then there's no real need to change it for now.
When it breaks down, you can still get the latest Oppo then. Cheers

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts

Not at all, possibly better. I say possibly better because a number of other factors come into play in the world of analog. The only reason I would upgrade is if you are interested in 4k Ultra disks, faster load times and firmware support. If I remember correctly its been a few years since the 83 got an update, which surprised me at the time given its age.

Reactions: chili555
15121 - 15140 of 38991 Posts