AVS Forum banner

1961 - 1980 of 38991 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
As you might know, there's no product that's truly perfect and that's what firmware updates are for. So please, stop calling oppo UHD-203 purchasers, beta testers.

·
Registered
954 Posts
When playing music from attached storage the 'browser' provides a range of options in the top right hand corner. From here I can select all songs and either shuffle or play in random mode.

This option doesn't appear to be there when playing music from a NAS. Is there any way of 'activating' this option up?

I was able to do this on my BDP-93 from both NAS and attached storage.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
So what's the glitch count so far?

- some HDCP 2.2 device error messages ("device does not support HDCP 2.2" - and the workaround is to go direct to the TV)
- some HDMI cables are having issues with 4k/60?
- loud 4k disc spinning
- stuttering and blank outs

Did I miss anything out?

Anyhow, what's a new product without a few glitches, then we would have nothing to post ;)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Got the oppo and loving the HDR on the epson 5040ub.
Question, are there basic free hdr test patterns for brightness en contrast available? Thanx!

·
Registered
6,600 Posts
the Audioquest Cinnamon works while playing the movie in 4K/24Hz but the home menu on the Oppo 203 flickers on and off cause it is 4K/60hz . The AQ Cinnamon is supposedly the reason. It is a 5 meter cable so likely the length of the cable causes this issue. Otherwise no issues with playback of movies!
If you read my earlier post, AudioQuest's web site says that the Cinnamon is certified for 18 Gbps traffic in lengths of less than 8 meters:

All AudioQuest HDMI cables up to 8 meters meet or exceed the 18 Gbps maximum data rate for HDMI and are approved High Speed with Ethernet cables. This means that all AudioQuest cables up to 8 meters are capable of transmitting 100% of the data required for all of HDMI’s current audio/video features including multichannel high-resolution audio, 1080p and 4k video, and 3D video from Blu-ray. All AQ HDMI cables will deliver 100% of the data required for 120Hz/240Hz/600Hz displays.

AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI web page
So if your 5 meter cable is having issues, contact AudioQuest, it could be a bad cable.

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

- some HDCP 2.2 device error messages ("device does not support HDCP 2.2" - and the workaround is to go direct to the TV)
- loud 4k disc spinning

Did I miss anything out?

Anyhow, what's a new product without a few glitches, then we would have nothing to post ;)
1) Red Push when stripping HDR meta data to obtain BT2020 w/SDR.

2) Something about auto resolution and ability to see the home screen. You'll have to read up I haven't paid much attention to that one.

·
Registered
24 Posts
UDP-203 NO Streaming Apps!!!

I don't know about the rest of you new Oppo UDP-203 owners, but I am disappointed! I really love the sound and picture quality of the streaming apps including with the BDP-103, especially Netflix, VUDU and TIDAL HiFi.

Unfortunately, with the UDP-203, the player is streaming capable, but currently no one wants to work with Oppo!!! I don't know why...

The player has the capability of supporting streaming services through firmware, but it is up to streaming service providers to support our platform, but so far none of our previous and new partners are willing to work with us. So at the moment there will be no streaming services support for our player.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119

·
Registered
9,874 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you new Oppo UDP-203 owners, but I am disappointed! I really love the sound and picture quality of the streaming apps including with the BDP-103, especially Netflix, VUDU and TIDAL HiFi.

Unfortunately, with the UDP-203, the player is streaming capable, but currently no one wants to work with Oppo!!! I don't know why...

The player has the capability of supporting streaming services through firmware, but it is up to streaming service providers to support our platform, but so far none of our previous and new partners are willing to work with us. So at the moment there will be no streaming services support for our player.

Best Regards,

Customer Service
OPPO Digital, Inc.
162 Constitution Dr.
Menlo Park, CA 94025
[email protected]
Tel: 650-961-1118
Fax: 650-961-1119
Maybe OPPO has higher standards than what the streamers want to provide. Maybe the big companies such as LG, Sony, Samsung, etc, want to destroy the smaller competition. More likely, they arent going to invest the time to support Oppo's platform.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts

- loud 4k disc spinning

Did I miss anything out?

1. auto resolution auto color space and everything else on auto. I get picture for blu-ray and DVD to my pioneer kuro. no picture with PAL DVD. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player

2. If I leave on auto resolution, auto colour and everything else on auto I cannot get oppo menu to display to my jvc x7000 projector. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player

3. If I put a uhd blu-ay in the oppo this will come up with a hdcp 2.2 error when I try to display an image on the pioneer kuro. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player

4. if running dual displays and I switch between displays, I note you cant run dual displays with uhd blu-ray. get no picture on the pioneer kuro and picture on the projector. if I select just the kuro I get no picture. if I just select the projector I will get an image. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player I can switch between displays on the fly always get image on either display or both as required.

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
1. auto resolution auto color space and everything else on auto. I get picture for blu-ray and DVD to my pioneer kuro. no picture with PAL DVD. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player

2. If I leave on auto resolution, auto colour and everything else on auto I cannot get oppo menu to display to my jvc x7000 projector. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player

3. If I put a uhd blu-ay in the oppo this will come up with a hdcp 2.2 error when I try to display an image on the pioneer kuro. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player

4. if running dual displays and I switch between displays, I note you cant run dual displays with uhd blu-ray. get no picture on the pioneer kuro and picture on the projector. if I select just the kuro I get no picture. if I just select the projector I will get an image. this is not an issue with my samsung uhd player I can switch between displays on the fly always get image on either display or both as required.
Thanks Al - did you resolve that HDCP issue?
@Bob
Can you put all these into the first few pages?
Cheers

·
Registered
251 Posts
I don't know about the rest of you new Oppo UDP-203 owners, but I am disappointed!
I'm over the moon that there aren't any apps on this! I didn't need a fifth way to access Netflix or Amazon video or a sixth way to get Pandora in my AV rack. I'm so tired of everything with a power cord coming with its own set of "smart" apps and personally am thrilled that they're spending their hardware and R&D budget for this disc player on playing discs.

Letting a streaming box handle streaming services is the best solution. The graveyard of abandoned and feature-incomplete Netflix apps on older devices speaks for itself--no one cares about maintaining them or making the experience great, so including them in the first place is purely a result of everyone coming to expect them.

Modern AVRs suck because the budget and attention is spread too thin on gimmicky bells and whistles. Glad to see Oppo not falling for the same.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Wondering if anyone else can test and confirm:

Some of my media files are in MKV containers. Some of them I left in their original M2TS format.

The Oppo plays them both equally well EXCEPT subtitles in the MKV containers are detected by not displayed, whereas the same content, as a M2TS has fully functional subtitles.

(I have tested the MKVs in question in another player, other hardware, and sure enough the subtitles are there and fine.)
Hi,

Yes, that subtitle issue appears to be the case. It's exactly the same situation in the 103 too. I think you'll find that if you put the same file on a USB stick then the subs will display just fine (which is even more annoying in its own way!).

I'd like to ask if anybody else has got issues with DLNA serving of audio files not working. I'm using Serviio on both QNap and Windows platforms. In both cases I can see/list/view video files but audio only shows the artists/genres etc but absolutely none of the actual audio files. The exact same setup works just fine with all other devices including my 103. I've reported to Oppo but it'd be good to know I'm not alone!

·
Registered
3,747 Posts
I'm over the moon that there aren't any apps on this! I didn't need a fifth way to access Netflix or Amazon video or a sixth way to get Pandora in my AV rack. I'm so tired of everything with a power cord coming with its own set of "smart" apps and personally am thrilled that they're spending their hardware and R&D budget for this disc player on playing discs.

Letting a streaming box handle streaming services is the best solution. The graveyard of abandoned and feature-incomplete Netflix apps on older devices speaks for itself--no one cares about maintaining them or making the experience great, so including them in the first place is purely a result of everyone coming to expect them.

Modern AVRs suck because the budget and attention is spread too thin on gimmicky bells and whistles. Glad to see Oppo not falling for the same.
Amen, a man after my own heart.. I don't understand the need for an Oppo to be a Swiss Army Knife.. I want to pay a reasonable price for the finest transport I can find. The rest are frills.
I have a solid DAC, my AVR does the decoding and I have plenty of options for internet access.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi,

Yes, that subtitle issue appears to be the case. It's exactly the same situation in the 103 too. I think you'll find that if you put the same file on a USB stick then the subs will display just fine (which is even more annoying in its own way!).

Hi does that mean, that they work from external disc over USB? I have all my BDs ripped in BDMVs or to lesser extent MKVs , any possible problems from Oppo by playing them from external disc over USB?

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
Thanks Al - did you resolve that HDCP issue?
nope..still outstanding....

@Bob
Can you put all these into the first few pages?
Cheers
upto the OP I guess, but what id hope the OP would do is make a list of issues people are having. list the suggested work around for each one that we have at the present.

this might be use full in a few different ways. for potential buyers so they can see what they are up against if considering purchase.

for new owners so they can see the already established issues and the suggested work arounds ... so they are not pulling out hair when issues present and not here like ground hog day asking if people had seen the same issues and what the suggested fixes might be ?

though in the OPs hands I guess, and depends what this thread is seen as to achieve :)

·
Registered
273 Posts
$99+S/H JvB 203 Internal Mod. (kit) note 4 pin plugin. Attachment 1
Purchased because: Since summer I have waited for the Oppo as my first BR and UHD disk spinner, so I have been compiling a small library of films to see once I purchased the player. (Fedex failed to deliver tonight, so It will be Tuesday til I can Install).

Somehow I redirected back to Amazon last week and saw this on a Disk I had purchased, See attachment 2:
Playback Region B/2
Which I don't believe it said when I bought it in August.
It is a Ultra Disk 4K which is suppose to play anywhere.
PS. One thing I now look for: Ultra Disks are in a Black Box. IF it ain't black, It ain't UHD
I have also purchased the internal jvbdigital mod I spend my time between US and UK so it's an absolute essential mod for me.
It will be installed next week.
There is no region coding on UHD disc's.
Des.

1961 - 1980 of 38991 Posts