AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 7532 Posts

·
Read the FAQ!
35,762 Posts
Interesting. What features do "pass through" allow in the AVR? I understand I'm still using the DAC in the player.
See the two Reference links I posted at the top of this thread to posts I made in the 205 Anticipation thread regarding Analog vs Digital audio output and how to set up your AVR for Analog input.
--Bob

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'll probably not upgrade from 105D until it can play ISO files.
And I rarely use the headphone jack on the 105D, mainly use it as DAC/pre-amp for my Pathos Aurium, which sounds Amazing.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,762 Posts
Sorry, Bob. Should have made it clear I'm not using an AVR with my 105. Don't need one as the Oppo is my only source and works fine with my power amps.
Then what was your comment about re-digitizing referring to? MY point was that going through a pre-amp, preamp-processor, or AVR does not mean you have to re-digitize the Analog output of the OPPO so long as you are careful in the setup.
--Bob

·
Registered
3,002 Posts
You said the Analog outs are designed to be connected to a pre-amp. If I used that to make my decision, I would not buy the 205; the 203 would do fine.

Edit: that's just me. I'm sure others are ok using an AVR and re-digitizing, or not...

They appear to allow for stand-alone operation as a pre-amp.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I've been running my 205 on repeat all day today and decided to plug in my cans. I had the SACD of Holst's Planets on and it sounded great. Easily drove my HD600s to ample volume and it was very clean sounding.
you got yours already ? great stuff ! do we get treated to some pics ? I'm yet to see one of these in the wild. only see the CGI pics :)

plan to use for uhd as well ? or just as 2ch source sacd and the like ? good to hear enjoying the hd600s off the headphone amp. the hd600 is my favourite sennheisers :)

·
Registered
259 Posts
You said the Analog outs are designed to be connected to a pre-amp. If I used that to make my decision, I would not buy the 205; the 203 would do fine.

Edit: that's just me. I'm sure others are ok using an AVR and re-digitizing, or not...

They appear to allow for stand-alone operation as a pre-amp.

That's a good find. But also there are worthy preamps, integrated stereo amps, and even A/V pre/pros with analog pathways that sound good enough to justify a high end source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
893 Posts
you got yours already ? great stuff ! do we get treated to some pics ? I'm yet to see one of these in the wild. only see the CGI pics :)

plan to use for uhd as well ? or just as 2ch source sacd and the like ? good to hear enjoying the hd600s off the headphone amp. the hd600 is my favourite sennheisers :)
I actually listen to SACDs in 5.1 through my speakers... Yes (on watching UHD), in fact that's the only reason I upgraded to the 205 as I was happy with my 105D. I've got the 205 snugged up in my rack but I can take a few of the front. One thing I'm very happy about is the buttons for play/stop/ff/rwd, etc. They're actually buttons again! I have very poor vision due to an eye disease, so it's nice to have buttons you can 'feel' again :D

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
If FedEx delivers on time I should have mine on Wednesday. I plan to use the 'USB DAC' to play music from JRiver MC20. Right now I'm using the USB DAC in on my HA-1 and have the driver for Win10 downloaded from the HA-1 support page.
As of this morning there is no link on the UDP-205 support page for the USB driver. Do any of the Beta's know if its the same driver as the HA-1 or the Sonica DAC ?
I emailed Oppo about this but some of the people who have received their 205's may want to try this out before Oppo puts the driver download on the 205 support page.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Thanks for posting the pics ! Looks very swish indeed. Good to hear on the buttons. Yes nothing is bigger peeve for me these days are those silly persistent buttons likes of Samsung and pana use on their players. Give me real buttons any day :)

·
Registered
82 Posts
I ready to "BETA" test this THANG....:confused: tired of my 203

Reactions: Operon

·
Read the FAQ!
35,762 Posts
If FedEx delivers on time I should have mine on Wednesday. I plan to use the 'USB DAC' to play music from JRiver MC20. Right now I'm using the USB DAC in on my HA-1 and have the driver for Win10 downloaded from the HA-1 support page.
As of this morning there is no link on the UDP-205 support page for the USB driver. Do any of the Beta's know if its the same driver as the HA-1 or the Sonica DAC ?
I emailed Oppo about this but some of the people who have received their 205's may want to try this out before Oppo puts the driver download on the 205 support page.
Thanks,
Tom
If you are using a Windows computer to connect to the USB DAC Input of the UDP-205, you can get the needed driver from the Support page for OPPO's Sonica DAC here:

http://www.oppodigital.com/sonica-dac/sonica-dac-Support.aspx

I've put a message in to OPPO that they need to get that info on the new Support page for the UDP-205 as well.

-----------------------------

If you are using a Mac computer instead, no driver installation is needed.
--Bob

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
.......Just to be clear here. The Analog outs of the 205 are designed to be connected to the inputs of a pre-amp. OPPO is not suggesting folks should use it directly connected to a power amp. But just as with the 105 and 105D I suspect some will.
--Bob
But then you loose the wonderful new DACS from OPPO!

·
Registered
9,502 Posts
See the two Reference links I posted at the top of this thread to posts I made in the 205 Anticipation thread regarding Analog vs Digital audio output and how to set up your AVR for Analog input.
--Bob
My new AVR Anthem AVM-60 doesn't have analog audio input so the 205 is overkill for me:(

Plus I really love ATMOS and DTS:X ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
I will be connecting to my preamp using pass through with xlr cables using the Oppos dacs and then comparing that to the hdmi connection to see the difference in sound, my prepro is a Marantz AV8802A.
Has anyone else done this? I know Oppo uses SABRE PRO DACs and the Marantz uses AK4490 32-bit DACs, my assumption is there will be a difference, but how much and what kind? Also Marantz AV8802a has xlr in, that will use Marantzs' dacs.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,762 Posts
I will be connecting to my preamp with xlr cables using the Oppos dacs and then comparing that to the hdmi connection to see the difference in sound, my prepro is a Marantz AV8802A.
Has anyone else done this? I know Oppo uses SABRE PRO DACs and the Marantz uses AK4490 32-bit DACs, my assumption is there will be a difference, but how much and what kind? Also Marantz AV8802a has xlr in, that will use Marantzs' dacs.
If you want to hear the unmodified quality of the XLR outs of the OPPO 205 you should configure your Marantz to "pass through" the Analog input -- with no re-digitizing and no use of the DACS in the Marantz.
--Bob

21 - 40 of 7532 Posts