AVS Forum banner

4601 - 4620 of 7345 Posts

·
Registered
675 Posts
You don't have a disc loaded while trying this, do you?

I have:

UDP20X.bin at 138086400 bytes in size.

If that is what you see and it is still not working with Setup -> Device Setup -> Firmware Upgrade -> Via USB then you might try burning an optical disc, instructions on OPPO's web support page.

-Bill
Thanks Bill for the help. I got it to work after downloading the file again. This time I made sure to not extract anything and load as is. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3 Posts
First of all, Welcome to AVS and to this Thread!

What you are describing are CLASSIC symptoms of HDMI cabling problems.

Everything that's working is going to your projector at 4K/24 or lower. I.e., 4K resolution at 24 frames per second, or lower resolution at any frame rate.

The things that are failing are going to your projector as 4K/60. I.e., 4K resolution at 60 frames per second. That greatly increases the demands on the cabling.

There are two things you can do to test this. First, set the OPPO to send out no higher than 1080p/60 video and then see if your problem discs now work correctly.

To do this, go into Setup > Video Setup and set:

Resolution > CUSTOM
Custom Resolution > 1080p AUTO

If that fixes the problem, you can be certain you are on the right track. Now the next step:

Temporarily move the player close enough to the projector so that you can connect Main HDMI out of the OPPO to the projector using the 6 foot HDMI Premium Certified cable that OPPO included with the player. Fire things up and make sure you have good video on the projector -- of course you won't have audio.

Now go into Setup > Video Setup and return your output settings to normal. Set:

Resolution > CUSTOM
Custom Resolution > UHD Auto

Check discs to see if things are working. If they are, then you can be certain the problem is in your current HDMI cabling to the projector. The reason your other devices are not giving you fits is they are not sending 4K/60 over that HDMI cable.

The new, higher bandwidth video signals for 4K require better HDMI cables. Depending on when you got your cables, odds are you currently have what are called "High Speed" cables. That's the PREVIOUS generation of HDMI cable specs. What you need are HDMI Premium Certified cables -- like the one OPPO included with the player.

I've written this up here:

--Bob
I have tried the Custom resolution 1080p setting with no improvement. And I am using the cable supplied by Oppo between the player and the pre-pro.

I do not have any 4k discs or any other 4k capable gear.

The OPPO BDP-83SE output 1080/60p with no problem and the system ran great. So this installation handled this material before.

Are you saying that the OPPO is outputting more demanding signal even when the source discs does not have anything encoded greater than 1080/60p?

And how come BLURAY movies at 1080/24 and 1080/60 play without issues.

The problems come in on DVD and music blurry which are often 1080i.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I guess I will have to take the player out of the rack and try it direct connected as you suggest.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Subscribed..... with the notion that I'll be getting the email from Oppo in the next week or two.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,435 Posts
I have tried the Custom resolution 1080p setting with no improvement. And I am using the cable supplied by Oppo between the player and the pre-pro.

I do not have any 4k discs or any other 4k capable gear.

The OPPO BDP-83SE output 1080/60p with no problem and the system ran great. So this installation handled this material before.

Are you saying that the OPPO is outputting more demanding signal even when the source discs does not have anything encoded greater than 1080/60p?

And how come BLURAY movies at 1080/24 and 1080/60 play without issues.

The problems come in on DVD and music blurry which are often 1080i.

Thanks for the quick feedback.

I guess I will have to take the player out of the rack and try it direct connected as you suggest.
Per the bolded question above, the answer is: POSSIBLY.

It depends on what Color Depth you were sending out with the 83SE compared to the 205. The 83SE is old enough that if your HDMI cables (other than the one that came with the OPPO) date back to that point, you could indeed be having problems. I'm talking specifically the cable connected to the TV.

It's actually pretty rare these days to see cabling problems with 1080p, but let's take it to the next step and see what we are dealing with:

Set the following in the OPPO 205:

Standby Mode > ENERGY EFFICIENT
Video Resolution > CUSTOM
Custom Resolution > 1080i 60Hz
Color Space > YCbCr 4:2:2
Color Depth > 8-bit

Turn the player Off and back On again and try your problem discs.

If these settings WORK, change just Custom Resolution, back to 1080p 60Hz and try again.
--Bob

·
Registered
256 Posts
Subscribed..... with the notion that I'll be getting the email from Oppo in the next week or two.
Oppo's site says that the last run is projected for August: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/lastbatch.aspx

It has been reported that there are more email addresses on file than the projected last run. Some of you may miss out. Just to be sure I have the best possible chance, I will not go to work or sleep in the month of August!

·
Read the FAQ!
35,435 Posts
Oppo's site says that the last run is projected for August: https://www.oppodigital.com/blu-ray-udp-205/lastbatch.aspx

It has been reported that there are more email addresses on file than the projected last run. Some of you may miss out. Just to be sure I have the best possible chance, I will not go to work or sleep in the month of August!
And THIS is how the tradition got started in Europe of EVERYBODY taking off the entire month of August!

:D
--Bob

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a question on hooking up the 205. For Blu-ray movies I will use the HDMI. But if I want it to play my CD's, SACDs,... Do I use the RCA analog for that? I will be hooking it up to a new Integra receiver. Thanks!

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,925 Posts
I have a question on hooking up the 205. For Blu-ray movies I will use the HDMI. But if I want it to play my CD's, SACDs,... Do I use the RCA analog for that? I will be hooking it up to a new Integra receiver. Thanks!
You can use either.

-Bill

·
Registered
122 Posts
What’s giving you that notion?

Right I miss-spoke, I meant the last 2 weeks of July or as soon as the slow boat from China arrives.

·
Registered
20 Posts
You can use either.

-Bill
So do i hook the HDMI main from the OPPO right into the back of my receiver? Then the receiver to the TV? Or do i run 2 HDMI's from the Oppo (One to the TV and one to the receiver)?
Then if i want to run the DAC from the Oppo do i use both the XLR outputs and RCA surround outputs into the receiver? This would be used for listening to CD's and such.

·
One-Man Content Creator
24,925 Posts
So do i hook the HDMI main from the OPPO right into the back of my receiver? Then the receiver to the TV?
That is the ideal method, the way HDMI is supposed to work.

Or do i run 2 HDMI's from the Oppo (One to the TV and one to the receiver)?
That is the fallback if the first method does not work. Content has been changing rapidly in recent years and some receivers cannot keep up and will not pass the signals required. Having 2 HDMI outputs allows you to bypass the receiver when necessary.

Then if i want to run the DAC from the Oppo do i use both the XLR outputs and RCA surround outputs into the receiver? This would be used for listening to CD's and such.
You can use both or either. The receiver should have some way of selecting which inputs you want to hear.

-Bill

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
So do i hook the HDMI main from the OPPO right into the back of my receiver? Then the receiver to the TV? Or do i run 2 HDMI's from the Oppo (One to the TV and one to the receiver)?]

This depends on your TV's and receivers capabilities. If your TV is 4K UHD HDR and the receiver is not able to pass the signal, then you will need to go 'main' to TV and 'audio only' to your receiver to get the advanced video. Doing it this way means you cannot view the receiver's info on the TV (like volume changes, etc.) while watching the Oppo. Not a big deal, but something to consider. The 'audio only' HDMI connection also has improved jitter control- also not a huge deal, but a consideration.

[Then if i want to run the DAC from the Oppo do i use both the XLR outputs and RCA surround outputs into the receiver? This would be used for listening to CD's and such.
For CD and stereo SACD listening the 'dedicated stereo outs' (either XLR or RCA) would be optimal since they use the 205's DAC. If you have M-CH SACD's or DVD-A or Audio BR's you may also want to use the multi-channel 7.1 analog outs. These also use the ESS Pro DAC. You could also use the 'audio only' HDMI for M-CH music, but you would be using your receiver's DAC.

The Oppo offers many different connections which are both a blessing and a curse. Your connections (and settings) are component dependant and personal preference. Some trial and error testing will be necessary for you to find the optimal setup for your system.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts

I wasn't thinking of participating in this but I might try anyway. With the Sonica DAC gone, the last Oppo 205s are still the least expensive two channel DAC in the class. Most of the other quality DACs are $2k+ and the Oppo does MQA now.

Hmmmm....

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,500 Posts
I wasn't thinking of participating in this but I might try anyway. With the Sonica DAC gone, the last Oppo 205s are still the least expensive two channel DAC in the class. Most of the other quality DACs are $2k+ and the Oppo does MQA now.

Hmmmm....

If there is a chance you are interested, sign up now because I suspect they are over subscribed and you are in line when some folks decide against buying.

- Rich

·
Registered
426 Posts

Hmmmm....

I have another more expensive MQA-capable DAC in the house (on another system), but I can say with confidence that the OPPO gives it a run for its money. I'd wait for them to fix the XLR outputs, though.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
If there is a chance you are interested, sign up now because I suspect they are over subscribed and you are in line when some folks decide against buying.

- Rich
Yeah I went ahead and signed up. Can't hurt. If I'm offered, I'll pull the trigger and apologize to my wife later. I don't really need an optical drive in that room since I recently conquered the SACD ripping issue and there's no TV in that room for 4K.

It would be nice to have a 205 do double duty between 2 channel audio for the living room and 4K for the LG OLED in the master bedroom but I'm not sure how I'd slay that technical dragon. Probably need an 4K HDMI over CAT 6a extender....luckily I already have that cable pulled in the wall between them.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Oppo Winding Down And No More Phone Contact

I am one of the people on the wait list for the UDP 205. As recently as a week to two weeks ago I spoke to Oppo regarding the arrival of the 205s for delivery. I called there 650 number and was informed that the arrival date is unsure, but possibly expected in late June.

Today I called Oppo and the voice message said as we are winding down and we are no longer taking phone calls and provided an email address to use to reach Oppo.

So this necessarily raises the question (l) what is the status of the UDP-205 in terms of further product for sale; (2) even if the product is for sale, what is the reasonable likelihood of product support, when they are no longer accepting phone calls.

A related question is if Oppo is not available to provide warranty or other service, what substitute organization has the expertise to service the Oppo UDP-205?

The latter question feeds back in whether someone should buy to begin with off the wait list.

Thanks for timely input.

4601 - 4620 of 7345 Posts