AVS Forum banner

4961 - 4980 of 7343 Posts

·
Registered
14,656 Posts
Auditioning gear in showrooms is iffy and should usually be used only for the basis of loose impressions. One may perceive that a piece of gear is pleasing to the ear, has potential and would probably make a great addition to serve your needs. Nothing beats a long term "audition" of time spent with that piece of gear in your own system. Those of us who consider ourselves to be "subjectivists' may not quite see eye to eye with the folk who take the empirical line of A/V evaluation. I think there are a great many who are a mixture of both ideologies utilizing both specifications of equipment categories as well as the proof of our ears and eyes as the final arbiter of performance. Sometimes, it just doesn't pay to argue about something that falls in the area of someone else's perceptions.

I personally would be very skeptical of firing up a brand new 205 out of the box with supplied cables and so forth and auditioning against well broken in and adapted gear in one's existing system. I plan on doing some burn in time prior and then trying some A/B testing with RCA's connecting to my integrated amplifier. The tricky thing will be doing comparisons of my current player (modded bdp-95) to the new 205 using XLR cables since I only have one XLR input available. But, the comparisons will still yield useful information and the XLR changeover will have to rely on the old audio memory, however short! I'm excited and I can't wait to see and hear the magic beginning in my home showroom. I already have a taste of the video magic via the 203/LG oled in my wife's video setup! Bill, I share your enthusiasm for the Oppo players and I continue to have an open mind as to the possibilities.
herodrh,

You make some very good points in your post, thanks :)! To compare the 95 and 205 does your integrated amp have multiple RCA analog inputs? If it does then you could compare both players with a quick switch of the inputs. That is why I used RCA analog when comparing the 105D and 205 as my XMC-1 only has one balanced input.

Correct. The value in Setup tracks the current Headphones volume. Think of it as Last Used instead of power on default. The last used headphones volume is remembered across power cycles.
—Bob
Bob,

As always thanks for your expertise :)! It cleared up my confusion on the discussion of the headphone volume level.

Bill

·
Registered
189 Posts
To the people posting about not liking the SQ of the OPPO 205..........

I will ignore the fact that as ex/non owners you are obviously posting in the wrong Thread and simply say that I hope you end up owning something that gives you even half as much pleasure as my OPPO 205 has given me.:)

If you do.............feel free to post all about it in the appropriate Owner's Thread.;)

·
Registered
72 Posts
herodrh,

You make some very good points in your post, thanks :)! To compare the 95 and 205 does your integrated amp have multiple RCA analog inputs? If it does then you could compare both players with a quick switch of the inputs. That is why I used RCA analog when comparing the 105D and 205 as my XMC-1 only has one balanced input.

Bob,

As always thanks for your expertise :)! It cleared up my confusion on the discussion of the headphone volume level.

Bill

I can use the S-1 and S-2 RCA audio inputs on my Krell S300i integrated to A/B the 2 players with the push of a button. This is only foolproof to a point since I don't have exactly the same single ended cables available for the hookup (both Morrow audio cables but of different grades) although I can alternately switch these out and continue to A/B. Conversely, the XLR cable would have to be switched from output of one player to the output of the other. In a way this will be a more comprehensive test of each players fidelity although it simply can't be accomplished instantaneously. Over time the sonic signature of the new player will be established and further nuances will be discerned as well. Its all part of the fun don't you know!

·
Registered
767 Posts
Can someone tell me if this is the best way to hook up an Oppo 205 given my current setup?

Oppo 205 balanced/unbalanced out Left and right (using interconnects RCA) to my Marantz SR7012 analog Blu-Ray input. I also have the HDMI out main plugged in there for movies, etc.

How do I tell the Oppo to prioritize the analog path when playing music? I know I've read that it outputs both simultaneously, do I just switch to direct mode on the receiver? Is there a better way? I don't want to hook the HDMI analog only out to the receiver because switching inputs on the TV is awful. Movies play perfectly in TrueHD etc, but I have no idea how to tell how its outputting analog audio to the receiver. There really isn't anything in the menu or on the remote to denote this either. Any ideas?

Greg

·
Premium Member
282 Posts
Can someone tell me if this is the best way to hook up an Oppo 205 given my current setup?

Oppo 205 balanced/unbalanced out Left and right (using interconnects RCA) to my Marantz SR7012 analog Blu-Ray input. I also have the HDMI out main plugged in there for movies, etc.

How do I tell the Oppo to prioritize the analog path when playing music? I know I've read that it outputs both simultaneously, do I just switch to direct mode on the receiver? Is there a better way? I don't want to hook the HDMI analog only out to the receiver because switching inputs on the TV is awful. Movies play perfectly in TrueHD etc, but I have no idea how to tell how its outputting analog audio to the receiver. There really isn't anything in the menu or on the remote to denote this either. Any ideas?

Greg
Good evenzing Greg! For each source, you can enter the menu on the Marantz and select source input (see page 209 of the your Marantz manual). You need to select analog for when you to listen to through your RCA inputs, and either auto or HDMI when you want to listen to movies with the new audio codecs. I have a Marantz AV8802A preamp and have not been able to get auto to switch from analog to HDMI inputs on the player. You must select them individually as noted above. Hope that helps:)!

Reactions: muscles

·
Registered
767 Posts
Good evenzing Greg! For each source, you can enter the menu on the Marantz and select source input (see page 209 of the your Marantz manual). You need to select analog for when you to listen to through your RCA inputs, and either auto or HDMI when you want to listen to movies with the new audio codecs. I have a Marantz AV8802A preamp and have not been able to get auto to switch from analog to HDMI inputs on the player. You must select them individually as noted above. Hope that helps:)!
Dang, so I have to switch inputs and lose the video image while I am listening? I guess I can just use the App. I can't help but feel like this is a gimmick that will be short lived in my house and I will just end up listening to everything via HDMI out. Something about simplicity that always wins.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,423 Posts

Greg
Your Marantz should offer the option to play video from an HDMI connection while also playing audio from an Analaog connection. Set this way the audio on the HDMI cable would just be ignored.

In the Marantz, then, set one “Input” to use HDMI for both audio and video. Set another to use Analog for audio and HDMI for video. Select on the Marantz which you want to listen to at the moment.

To prove to yourself the audio is actually coming in on the Analaog connection you can temporarily set HDMI Audio OFF in the OPPO.

Or to prove to yourself audio is actually coming in via HDMI you can temporarily lower Analog output Volume on the OPPO. Volume does not alter the HDMI audio output (except for Volume 0, which is implemented as Mute).
—Bob

·
Registered
256 Posts
My perception is that soundwise (analog outs) 105D was audibly better; 205 is flat, lifeless and dry.
I think it is foolish for any of us to assume that the 205 or any A/V component, for that matter, must sound good to everyone in every system and in every room.

As wonderful as the 205 sounds to my ears in my room with my associated equipment, it isn't the end-all, be-all for all people. No component is.

All I know is the from the analog outputs, using the Oppo's DACs, the 205 is a big step up from my previous BDP-83 which was a big step up from its predecessor, the Oppo DV-980H.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
^ Each full step produces 0.5 dB change.

Changing volume by 10 is a 5dB change.
—Bob

Thanks Bob, I misinterpreted you. So every point you go up or down represents a plus or minus 1/2 dB change. I was thinking that that the volume meter on the screen would display it in .5 increments which is obviously not the case.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,423 Posts
I wondered if I should share my view on Oppo 205 in this forum full of praise; some may not like it;

based on discussions here I ordered (without testing) Oppo 205.

Two years ago I did thoroughly test 105D with pleasing results. Not in the same league as my SACD players but still acceptable for my special needs.
So I thought 205 must easily beat 105.

Salesman asked about 205 sound as compared to 105 told me "just cosmetics"
I had 205 for two days and returned it.
My perception is that soundwise (analog outs) 105D was audibly better; 205 is flat, lifeless and dry.
Decisive test was listenig to Pat Metheny Group DVD-A; My old Onkyo player (14 years) sounds like music; 205 - no emotions, just dry sound like from ordinary equipment.

I tried several DACs hoping that there must have been huge progress over 15 - 20 year (my players come from stone age) in DAC design, and hoping for big improvement in sound reproduction by using modern DAC but this is not the case. FPGA based DACs are my hope now; having tested some of them they are close to my expectations. BTW - I use Apogee Duet configured for 4 channels and enjoy it's sound very much. There is also Quartet that can be configured for 8 channels.
Since you no longer have your 205, there’s nothing anyone here can do to help on this. We’ll just have to treat it as a report at odds with almost all the existing professional and personal reviews.

If you still HAD the player I’d go over your setup and settings, as there are definitely simple setting errors which can screw up your Analog output quality.

And of course it is possible the particular 205 you got had a hardware flaw requiring Warranty service.

I’m not saying you didn’t hear what you’ve reported. I’m saying when your results are so at odds with what other critical listeners are reporting, the FIRST thought should be something is screwed up.
—Bob

·
Oppo Beta Group
10,678 Posts
Your Marantz should offer the option to play video from an HDMI connection while also playing audio from an Analaog connection. Set this way the audio on the HDMI cable would just be ignored.

In the Marantz, then, set one “Input” to use HDMI for both audio and video. Set another to use Analog for audio and HDMI for video. Select on the Marantz which you want to listen to at the moment.

To prove to yourself the audio is actually coming in on the Analaog connection you can temporarily set HDMI Audio OFF in the OPPO.

Or to prove to yourself audio is actually coming in via HDMI you can temporarily lower Analog output Volume on the OPPO. Volume does not alter the HDMI audio output (except for Volume 0, which is implemented as Mute).
—Bob
On the Marantz, a given HDMI input can only be assigned to 1 of the “input” banks. The reason for this has to do with the wonderful world of CEC as the prepro wouldn’t know which “input” to switch to when a connected HDMI source told the prepro to turn on. Unfortunately, this configuration limitation remains even if the user disables CEC in the Marantz.

What he can do, as another poster alluded to, is configure a single “input” with the desired HDMI input and XLR, 2 channel RCA, or the 7.1 multichannel analog outputs from the Oppo and switch the audio input mode on the Marantz between Auto (which will pick HDMI as the highest priority), 7.1 analog, or XLR (or 2 channel RCA, depending on how that “input” is configured. When doing this, video will still come from the HDMI connection, regardless of where the audio is coming from.

There are several ways to get it to work, but the details are best discussed in the appropriate Marantz thread for his prepro.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts

This is basically how i handle this with my Marantz 8805 as you can set an HDMI video source to be displayed when playing audio from an Analog source connected to an Input like CD. I don’t do this with the Oppo Video as I have that connected directly to my TV but I use this feature with another source connected to HDMI1.

When watching a sporting event from source on HDMI1 I often prefer to listen to music from my Oppo so when on CD on the Marantz which is where I have XLR input set to there is a Option menu accessed by pressing Option button on the remote and on that screen there is a Video Select option which will allow you to set it to On and then select a Source to display when you select CD on the Marantz. This is a one time setting so anytime you select CD you will get audio from the XLR Inputs and Video from whatever Source you selected in the Video Select menu.

This IMO is the easiest way to handle this and eliminates the need to change Audio inputs on a single Input but as others have mentioned isn’t the only way to handle this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello,
Forgive me if i come across like a Neanderthal, i don't post very often.
I have noticed some spin noise coming from my 205 since updating to the latest firmware.
The noise only appears when playing MQA CD's, well actually the only one i own at the moment which is a Jazz compilation.
Anyway, this noise was not present before updating so im wondering if anybody else has noticed it.
Also, staying on the MQA subject, during playback the screen shows i am playing a 16/44.1 CD however when i press the info button i get the correct information.
Just to be sure i copied the disc to a Verbatim CD-R and still have the same spin noise, very similar to a fan in operation.
I have tried many different CD's/BD's/DVD's but it appears it is only during MQA disc playback. Odd.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Headphone volume

Does anybody think that the volume setting of 28 for the Oppo 205's headphone amp an extraordinarily low? I know this is headphone dependent but much higher than that and it hurts my ears.
I set my HP volume at 25 when starting to use the Oppo using Shure 1540 phones. That gives me a good point from which to increase slightly if I want to.

Reactions: Foothill

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have noticed some spin noise coming from my 205 since updating to the latest firmware.The noise only appears when playing MQA CD's, well actually the only one i own at the moment which is a Jazz compilation.
Anyway, this noise was not present before updating so im wondering if anybody else has noticed it.
Also, staying on the MQA subject, during playback the screen shows i am playing a 16/44.1 CD however when i press the info button i get the correct information.
Just to be sure i copied the disc to a Verbatim CD-R and still have the same spin noise, very similar to a fan in operation.
I have tried many different CD's/BD's/DVD's but it appears it is only during MQA disc playback. Odd.

Well,

[1] did you Factory Reset after the base FW update?

[2] did you update over USB to the latest USB Firmware (1.08) who supports really MQA (UK-OPPO do not show any USB Firmware, only found within OPPO USA). I had 1.02 and requires first 1.05 and afterwords the 1.08.
While this USB Firmware is for the XMOS USB CHIP :D

Cheers

Hp

·
Registered
767 Posts

—Bob
This was close to working but the Marantz doesn't let you use the same HDMI input on multiple inputs. I have racked my brain trying to figure this out. I guess I will just stick to just one HDMI cable for all my audio video needs. How did they not program a button on the Oppo to prioritize audio source? Seems like a huge oversight as 99% of people run AVRs. The difference in sound quality isn't probably worth the additional headache. Thanks for trying though guys, I appreciate it.

*****Sorry, I found a fix! I just hook up the analog to the same input and just switch the Input audio source on the Marantz. It's the fastest way to do this. I can live with this! Sorry for the long winded reply, I hope this helps someone else!****
Greg

4961 - 4980 of 7343 Posts