AVS Forum banner

5481 - 5500 of 7343 Posts

·
Registered
887 Posts
Bought another 27 units yesterday from Oppo. They suggested I flip them but I am going to build a fort for my cats to play in.
These Oppo boxes are exactly the right dimensions and are extremely sturdy. The metal electronic thingies inside them keep them weighted down, might I say, "purrrrrfectly".
At this point I have already traded in all my Krell equipment (the cats did not like the sharp metal corners at all).
Pic, please. :)

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
SO, after much gnashing of teeth the past few months I decided to purchase one of these, received it earlier this week and set it up last night.

I put my email address in just in case I wanted to get one, my number came up, and I purchased one from Oppo for regular price.

I will say, I was not a fan of the sound signature of the Oppo BDP-95 nor Oppo HA-1 at all as I felt they were overly bright, but Oppo has greatly improved the sound signature of the UDP-205 from these earlier products with a much more balanced sound that I was pleased with. Even with picky Sennhesier HD700 headphones the UDP-205 was not gratingly bright as previous Oppo products I have tried.

I am not sure I entirely needed a UDP-205 as I have a Marantz AV8802A which is sonically excellent, however I do like the build quality and the features I could use in select circumstances. Plus lets face it, might be last time we see Oppo player availability.

Panasonic's lack of aspect ratio control in the UB820 also led to my decision to buy this player, as I find this very important since there are a number of Blu-ray Discs which having framing errors that this can assist with.

My box also came with a "QA Passed" sticker on the top of the box, does that mean my unit was selected for individual QA inspection? Pretty cool if so. Or are they doing this with all of the last run players?

·
Registered
77 Posts
SO, after much gnashing of teeth the past few months I decided to purchase one of these, received it earlier this week and set it up last night.

I put my email address in just in case I wanted to get one, my number came up, and I purchased one from Oppo for regular price.

I will say, I was not a fan of the sound signature of the Oppo BDP-95 nor Oppo HA-1 at all as I felt they were overly bright, but Oppo has greatly improved the sound signature of the UDP-205 from these earlier products with a much more balanced sound that I was pleased with. Even with picky Sennhesier HD700 headphones the UDP-205 was not gratingly bright as previous Oppo products I have tried.

I am not sure I entirely needed a UDP-205 as I have a Marantz AV8802A which is sonically excellent, however I do like the build quality and the features I could use in select circumstances. Plus lets face it, might be last time we see Oppo player availability.

Panasonic's lack of aspect ratio control in the UB820 also led to my decision to buy this player, as I find this very important since there are a number of Blu-ray Discs which having framing errors that this can assist with.

My box also came with a "QA Passed" sticker on the top of the box, does that mean my unit was selected for individual QA inspection? Pretty cool if so. Or are they doing this with all of the last run players?
My 205 was delivered earlier this week, I still haven't opened it. My box also has the QA Passed sticker.

Like you, I have the AV8802A, but also have the 203. The Marantz sounds great and I am inclined to think that I might like the 205 more. I might sell off the 203 or just keep both.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I received my 205 in the first round in late June. The box also includes the QA PASSED sticker.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OPPO udp-205 disc player "over the air" motor noise when playing blu-ray discs

I received my new udp-205 about ten days ago. So far I have been mostly testing it as an audio player via the headphone jack. I have tested most forms of audio sources supported by the player, including: streaming audio over WiFi, streaming audio via the USB DAC input, plugging in a USB thumb drive containing audio files, and playing most types of "shiny discs" that the player supports. Until yesterday I was very pleased with all of my testing. Specifically, until yesterday, the player itself emitted no audible noise through the air (helped by the fact that it has no fan), and I could hear no audible background noise through my headphones connected to the player's headphone jack. Until yesterday I had only tested these types of shiny discs: CD, SACD, DVD, and DVD-Audio. My problem only began when I began testing with Blu-Ray discs yesterday: in most cases when I insert a Blu-ray disc into the player, I can immediately hear an audible noise from the player through the air. That noise is loud enough that I can sometimes hear it even when listening to music on headphones when seated just a few feet away from the player. The noise in question stops as soon as I eject the Blu-ray disc, which seems to confirm a likely theory that this noise is motor noise from the disc player in the udp-205. My question is: is this "over the air" motor noise (when playing Blu-ray discs on the udp-205) normal? Is there any way to reduce or eliminate the motor noise? The likely explanation for this noise, if it is normal, is that the higher data bandwidth when playing Blu-ray discs (versus the other disc formats I mentioned above) requires a much higher disc rotation speed, resulting in audible motor noise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Received mine yesterday, and played a couple of familiar discs through the av8802a to my Aerials....loving it! Truly improved sound. Not night and day, but extra detail, space and a feeling of ‘ease’ (sounds like esoteric bs, but I can’t think of another term to use). Definitely a step up from the 103’s audio.

Picked up Avengers, Infinity War 4K on the way home for movie night tonight. As I look at the video settings, I see adjustments for video I’m not at all familiar with, and although I read the ‘recommended settings’ section in the link Bob posted, I have adjustments for ‘target nits’ and others I have no idea about. I’m sending video through the av8802a to a Sony Vpl285es projector. Glad I have a whole weekend to play with it....

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have decided to send my OPPO 205 to Korea for an hardware upgrade
However I decided to do first the USB Dac upgrade to the last version (0118) in order to benefit from the full decoding and rendering MQA. How I was happy. After listening for the first time to some very good MQA files, I decided to revert to Roon upsampling DSD. White noise from the 2 channels. What??? Yes it was true. After a couple of tests, I discovered that only DSD DoP was now accepted. Before, DSD native was running ok even if it was not fully feasable at 512 with my ST5. I tried 64, 128 and 256. No luck, white noise always without checking DoP. I turned to HQPe. Imediately the white noise started. So I enable the DoP. And I tried a couple of more tracks. Some were working others not. It turned out that every MQA track when upsampling to DSD was not working at all. No sound at all. What was really strange is that I could see that in Roon was showing DSD output but in my TV was just showing LPCM 768. Every non-MQA track was working fine if DoP was enabled. Turning again to Roon DSP and upsampling. When playing MQA tracks with DSD256 enabled and DoP I just had the normal MQA rendering and decoding without any upsampling to DSD… On the contrary, the non-MQA files were upsampled to DSD256. I am posting here because over the last 2 months there was also a couple of upgrades not just the one from HQPe from last week but also some related to the OS from STi5 and uR if I am not mistaken. So because I just switch on today my Oppo 205 for the USB Dac firmware upgrade I can’t know for sure if it is related to this upgrade or the STi5 or uR upgrades. Any help would be much appreciated. I am going to post my commentson other related fora. Thank you.

·
Registered
184 Posts
New UDP-205 - No video!

So I received my UDP-205 mid-week but was too busy to unbox and set up until today. Replaced my old BDP-83 using the Main HDMI out - sound is perfect - no video. Both my local monitor and projector detect the signal as 1080p/50Hz but just a black screen. Neither the Info button or Setup button brings up anything on screen. Resolution is set to Auto. Tried several different HDMI cables (started with the one from Oppo) with the same result. A bad unit? Any ideas on where to start?

·
Registered
743 Posts
So I received my UDP-205 mid-week but was too busy to unbox and set up until today. Replaced my old 83 using the Main HDMI out - sound is perfect - no video. Both my local monitor and projector detect the signal as 1080p/50Hz but just a black screen. Neither the Info button or Setup button brings up anything on screen. Resolution is set to Auto. Tried several different HDMI cables (started with the one from Oppo) with the same result. A bad unit? Any ideas on where to start?
Check to make sure you actually have it plugged into the HDMI port closest to the Ethernet jack. Maybe change the resolution to exactly match your displays.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

·
Registered
48 Posts
Maybe he plugged the HDMI cable into the Audio-only HDMI output.

I should have juts splurged and gotten the 205 originally instead of the 203 but it wasn't in the budget at the time. My own fault, I guess.
Maybe not your fault. The 203 was offered before the 205 so I had already purchased a 203 when the 205 came out. And by then I had two new Sony machines also, the X800 and X1000ES.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Mine was delivered this afternoon (was quite surprised to see it delivered on a Saturday) it also had a QA Passed sticker... :)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks so much. Unfortunately in my case, I have everything running through the Marantz, with just a single HDMI to my TV, so I never have to futz with changing the TV input (I don't even have the TV remote out anywhere). So that setup would solve the problem of having to change the audio input on the Marantz, but add a step in having to change the input on the TV.

Ultimately, I've decided to just leave the Marantz on the 7.1 analog input, change the setting when I play a Blu-ray (which isn't that often), and consider a much-needed upgrade to the 8805 which has the quick select functions!
OK I had to connect direct to the TV as the Oppo and the Marantz didn't seem to get on together, my AVR is the SR7012 a great unit but something is not quite right between it and the Oppo.

Perhaps you could try posting in the Marantz forum on AVS as you might get an answer there.

·
Registered
88 Posts
My 205 shipped 9/4 and got delivered today. Unfortunately, it will stay in the box until I'm done with some other renovations.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Is anyone successfully using an HDMI switch to allow multiple sources to use the HDMI input on the Oppo 203/205?
If so, what brand and model?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I finally took the 205 plunge, with a few misgivings---it's a chunk of change!---but I have used the hell out of my 103D for a few years, so satisfaction with the kit itself is probably a no-brainer. Here goes.

Surely it's been discussed, but is there any noticeable practical advantage to using an SSD drive vs a traditional HDD when using the USB3 ports in the rear of the 205? (Virtually 100% for lossless audio.) Curious whether I'd notice any gains from an SSD (e.g. maybe a Samsung T5) vs. a HDD that has four times as much space at half the price (e.g. a little 2TB Seagate or WD portable). (As opposed to how they'd perform doing other things, like massive data transfer etc.)

BTW, late thanks to Bob for replying to a question of mine many pages back.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I received my new udp-205 about ten days ago. So far I have been mostly testing it as an audio player via the headphone jack. I have tested most forms of audio sources supported by the player, including: streaming audio over WiFi, streaming audio via the USB DAC input, plugging in a USB thumb drive containing audio files, and playing most types of "shiny discs" that the player supports. Until yesterday I was very pleased with all of my testing. Specifically, until yesterday, the player itself emitted no audible noise through the air (helped by the fact that it has no fan), and I could hear no audible background noise through my headphones connected to the player's headphone jack. Until yesterday I had only tested these types of shiny discs: CD, SACD, DVD, and DVD-Audio. My problem only began when I began testing with Blu-Ray discs yesterday: in most cases when I insert a Blu-ray disc into the player, I can immediately hear an audible noise from the player through the air. That noise is loud enough that I can sometimes hear it even when listening to music on headphones when seated just a few feet away from the player. The noise in question stops as soon as I eject the Blu-ray disc, which seems to confirm a likely theory that this noise is motor noise from the disc player in the udp-205. My question is: is this "over the air" motor noise (when playing Blu-ray discs on the udp-205) normal? Is there any way to reduce or eliminate the motor noise? The likely explanation for this noise, if it is normal, is that the higher data bandwidth when playing Blu-ray discs (versus the other disc formats I mentioned above) requires a much higher disc rotation speed, resulting in audible motor noise.
I hear it too. I just swapped out my 203 with a new 205, direct from OPPO. I noticed the 205 has vented top vs solid for the 203. Since the video section is the same, guessing the added audio components and load dictated more cooling. My AV rack is near my right seating position so I hear the spin-up on movie discs. Audio discs are good. I had to turn down my (2) AC Affinity 140mm fans to low since it's noticeable on med or high speed, too. The fans are on the lowest shelf, on top of my receiver. 205 is on the second shelf with 8" poles and it is very noticeable when playing BD/UHD movies. I haven't tried DVD or DVD-A, yet.

I may need to look at enclosed options with custom cooling if it starts to annoy me more. Since it's movies, my OCD is under control.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,423 Posts
^ Blu-ray and UHD discs are variable speed discs. When you launch these discs, the player will spin them at the top speed to shorten the time it takes to load the disc’s BD Java program and Menus. Normal speed is used once the movie starts.
—Bob

·
Registered
2 Posts
I hear it too. I just swapped out my 203 with a new 205, direct from OPPO. I noticed the 205 has vented top vs solid for the 203. Since the video section is the same, guessing the added audio components and load dictated more cooling. My AV rack is near my right seating position so I hear the spin-up on movie discs. Audio discs are good. I had to turn down my (2) AC Affinity 140mm fans to low since it's noticeable on med or high speed, too. The fans are on the lowest shelf, on top of my receiver. 205 is on the second shelf with 8" poles and it is very noticeable when playing BD/UHD movies. I haven't tried DVD or DVD-A, yet.

I may need to look at enclosed options with custom cooling if it starts to annoy me more. Since it's movies, my OCD is under control.
Just to clarify, in my post I was not complaining so much about the startup noise when a Blu-ray disc is first inserted into the 205. I am more concerned about the ongoing audible "disc spin/motor noise" that continues until I eject the Blu-ray disc. There is little or no such ongoing audible noise with other kinds of discs (CD, SACD, DVA-Audio). I can hear the ongoing Blu-ray spin/motor noise "over the air" when listening to a solo piano piece (on headphones) being played off the Blu-ray disc via the headphone output of the 205. This seems to make Blu-ray unsuitable as an audio delivery format (at least for headphone listening). Maybe this is not the fault of the 205, and is something that is unavoidable with the Blu-ray format? In any case I will not be buying any more Blu-ray discs for audio listening purposes.

5481 - 5500 of 7343 Posts