AVS Forum banner

1301 - 1320 of 1846 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Remote control: Power off -> up -> right -> up -> left -> menu

Choose "Factory Reset" from Main Service Menu
I have followed that sequence from my Remote and nothing happens. Just the main menu appears with last button press "menu".

Is this "Factory Reset" the same as the one that I find in the "Menu / Setup / Reset / Reset to Default" ?

What is the "Main Service Menu"? Is it another Menu different from the normal "Main Menu" with some more hidden options for maintenance service?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have followed that sequence from my Remote and nothing happens. Just the main menu appears with last button press "menu".

Is this "Factory Reset" the same as the one that I find in the "Menu / Setup / Reset / Reset to Default" ?

What is the "Main Service Menu"? Is it another Menu different from the normal "Main Menu" with some more hidden options for maintenance service?
It works for me.

Main Service Menu is a hidden menu which is different from the user menu. It shows all the service parameters which includes "Factory Reset".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Thank you for your answer.

And if I reset the parameters (or at least some of them, where I see the reset option) they would be reset to factory settings only for that signal, and only for that image mode?

I will have to test... and see.

Any hint for the ISF modes that I cannot see them? Is there anything to be done to have them available?

ISF Menu
Power off -> up -> down -> up -> up

·
Registered
25 Posts
Apparently there's no hit to the light output. At least according to TVS Pro:

Unlike other 4K projectors with conventional cinema filters the PureChrome©* Cinema filter used in the modified UHZ65 is able to produce up to 2,400 lumens and wide color gamut simultaneously due to the high efficiency of this new filter design.
2400 lumens vs the stock 3000 lumens... seems like a hit to me?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I was told the light output is about equivalent to running with brightness mode @ 70%

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi All,

I am having issues with how the uhz65 is interacting with my apple tv4k. I have uhz65 hooked up to denon 4400h via monoprice 30' fiber hdmi cable and ATV also hooked up to denon via monoprice 4' fiber cable. I cannot figure out how to get the ATV setup properly so that I am getting the best picture without it constantly having to switch from 4k UHD to 4k SDR to 4k HDR...50hz...60hz...and on and on etc etc! I have read about this issue in many places but yet to find a real solution. So when I have the settings in ATV so that I select 4k HDR....then match dynamic range and match rate.....I have the "washed out" apps image at homescreen of ATV....its looks really bad. So then I switch the setting to 4k SDR so that the apps screen looks good...but then of course anytime I want to watch and HDR content....the uhz65 has to switch over to that resolution.....makes a bunch of noise doing so....screen has a lag before it finally pops back on etc etc. This setup between the ATV and uhz65 to get the best image depending upon the content your watching seems very challenging with a bunch of "switching" of modes etc. I am a novice at this....but it really seems to not be a very smooth setup and I'm wondering if I just have something setup wrong or if this is simply what I need to live with regarding all of the switching of modes on the pj? I have also calibrated the projector to the settings that have been provided in this owners thread by Ronny, Dave and the rest....which is awesome! I just need to see if anyone can help with the best.....and least troublesome settings for the ATV uhz65 setup. Thanks for any input or guidance you guys can provide on this!!
Symptoms seem to indicate a poor cable. Or, at least, a cable that's too long for its quality (even though you said "fiber"; is it really? I now monoprice cables are very popular, but I'm not that familiar with them).

I've read countless reports, here and online, of longer cables having issues transmitting the signal as intended (that's why you get washed out colors, it just isn't using 10 bit or full 4:4:4), and that could also explain handshaking issues.

Switching from sdr to hdr should be seamless, even on the same input (been doing it constantly just to see the difference in various applications as I was setting up my unit).

Stupid question: are you hooking it up on the right port? Only one of the is hdmi 2.0 and supports the full 18gbps bandwidth.

Second stupid question: have you checked if your denon's hdmi inputs are set correctly? Some receivers need their port to be set to something like "enhanced" or "advanced" to get the full 4k bandwidth.

·
Registered
6,860 Posts
I only saw the 660+ to have the RGBRGB colour wheel. Where did you find that the 880+ has that sort of solution? Since it is speced to output 3000 lumen and coverage of 98% of hdtv I doubt that it does have the RGBRGB colour wheel
Rgbrgb would drop max lumens output by 15-20%, yeah.

But it has so many lumens to start with IMO more than enough room to take the lumens hit from rgbrgb and yellow notch filter. More a question of whether the software is ready for the differing timing from the typical laser 4 segment wheel output.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Happy New Year everyone. Hope you all enjoyed your Christmas holidays.

I have been playing around with the projector during the past few days to see the interaction between the different settings. I have been using Oblivion 2K and 4K (not HDR) and Bladerunner 2049 (4K HDR) for my testings and one of the things I found that by activating Pure contrast and setting dinamic brightness on 3 the laser is much more reactive to low APL frames.
The infimus sigar scene in Oblivion brings the laser to turning off for a few seconds if watched with DB set to 3, while when Pure contrast is turned on the laser shuts down only for a fraction of a second. However, when Freeman lights up the match and brings it to the sigar the brightness jumps up no matter the setting used. Strange thing though is that a very similar effect is also visible with the laser set to 50%, which indicates that it may actually be the picture itself that gets washed out in this particular situation due to the way it was filmed rather than being the fault of the VPR. DB only tends to exagerate such problem.
On Bladerunner during the scanning scene of the probe in the area where Dekker is hiding, I got a lot of banding in the sky regardless of the setting used (I have an Oppo 203 outputting 4:4:4 12 bit). Anyone else has seen the issue in that scene?

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Happy New Year everyone. Hope you all enjoyed your Christmas holidays.

I have been playing around with the projector during the past few days to see the interaction between the different settings. I have been using Oblivion 2K and 4K (not HDR) and Bladerunner 2049 (4K HDR) for my testings and one of the things I found that by activating Pure contrast and setting dinamic brightness on 3 the laser is much more reactive to low APL frames.
The infimus sigar scene in Oblivion brings the laser to turning off for a few seconds if watched with DB set to 3, while when Pure contrast is turned on the laser shuts down only for a fraction of a second. However, when Freeman lights up the match and brings it to the sigar the brightness jumps up no matter the setting used. Strange thing though is that a very similar effect is also visible with the laser set to 50%, which indicates that it may actually be the picture itself that gets washed out in this particular situation due to the way it was filmed rather than being the fault of the VPR. DB only tends to exagerate such problem.
On Bladerunner during the scanning scene of the probe in the area where Dekker is hiding, I got a lot of banding in the sky regardless of the setting used (I have an Oppo 203 outputting 4:4:4 12 bit). Anyone else has seen the issue in that scene?
I don’t recall any banding issues with Bladerunner 2049. If you can give me the time stamp I’ll check it out. The one caveat is that I’m not using an Oppo.
Sorry, looks like you were referring to the original Bladerunner. I have that blue ray too so just post the time stamp and I’ll take a look.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I cannot make the UHZ65 play in HDR Mode.

My source is a .mkv file. I suppose it is encoded with HDR as per Mediainfo says:
Comercial name: HDR10
Color primaries: BT.2020
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 4000 cd/m2
Maximum Content Light Level : 2013 cd/m2
Maximum Frame-Average Light Level : 393 cd/m2

I have tried from two players: Dune HD Solo 4K and Dune HD PRO 4K, with direct connection to the UHZ65 to the HDMI2/MHL input.

I have disabled HDR conversion on the Dune Solo 4K, and have Auto for the HDR/SDR conversion on the Dune PRO 4K. I have not found any other settings that could affect HDR output. Info Button on Dune's says HDR output.

BUT, in the UHZ65 I always get SDR modes (Cinema, etc...), with the HDR mode greyed out.

What could I be missing or doing wrong?

Is there any way to "force" manually the UHZ65 to detect and play HDR mode?

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
What is the contrast ratio on this projector (not on/off because the laser can shut off so that isn't fair)... but what does it typically measure on 1% ADL patterns? The improved one has better black levels, but has the contrast changed or is it simply lowering brightness? It's strange because when this was compared in video to the sony 385, it made it appear as if they were equal in contrast (not counting on/off) but now with this video you can see that the black levels weren't as good on the non-modded one which makes me wonder how accurate it was represented against the sony....

·
Registered
716 Posts
Hi All,

I am having issues with how the uhz65 is interacting with my apple tv4k. I have uhz65 hooked up to denon 4400h via monoprice 30' fiber hdmi cable and ATV also hooked up to denon via monoprice 4' fiber cable. I cannot figure out how to get the ATV setup properly so that I am getting the best picture without it constantly having to switch from 4k UHD to 4k SDR to 4k HDR...50hz...60hz...and on and on etc etc! I have read about this issue in many places but yet to find a real solution. So when I have the settings in ATV so that I select 4k HDR....then match dynamic range and match rate.....I have the "washed out" apps image at homescreen of ATV....its looks really bad. So then I switch the setting to 4k SDR so that the apps screen looks good...but then of course anytime I want to watch and HDR content....the uhz65 has to switch over to that resolution.....makes a bunch of noise doing so....screen has a lag before it finally pops back on etc etc. This setup between the ATV and uhz65 to get the best image depending upon the content your watching seems very challenging with a bunch of "switching" of modes etc. I am a novice at this....but it really seems to not be a very smooth setup and I'm wondering if I just have something setup wrong or if this is simply what I need to live with regarding all of the switching of modes on the pj? I have also calibrated the projector to the settings that have been provided in this owners thread by Ronny, Dave and the rest....which is awesome! I just need to see if anyone can help with the best.....and least troublesome settings for the ATV uhz65 setup. Thanks for any input or guidance you guys can provide on this!!
The correct way for most people is set 4k SDR and turn match dynamic range on. If you don't do it this way everything is in HDR and will not look right. Yes, the pj makes noises when HDR is available and because there is color wheel it can appear to be having fits. But its normal. So that is just the way it is, and its not a cable problem. But regardless of the media box you use, it will do the same thing when HDR is detected. But cannot watch hdr on always if you want things to look right.

Also best to set the denon to output everything 4k, and leave the match rate off in the apple. Less switching that way on the PJ. But I think the auto setting in the denon if fine if you leave that match rate off.

Plenty of netflix shows actually look better with hdr off. No all but more than a few do. Maybe you figured all that out by now though. Also you have to be sure enchanced is on with the Denon for hdmi.

·
Registered
41 Posts
My projector is on the way to TVS Pro. I decided to give it a shot. I'll let you know if there is significant changes that are worthy of the cost. It was not an easy decision but I thought I'm going to have this PJ while, let me see what else I can eek out via the mod.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I am currently on firmware C08.

I am considering going to a 2-1 screen and using the Superwide aspect ratio option. I had it on an older Optoma and it worked pretty good.

Only issue is that it doesn't work on the UHZ65. Instead the picture gets zoomed in about 10x. I have contacted Optoma to see what they say. Still waiting for a reply.

Just wondering if anyone can confirm if it works on their unit and also what firmware version they have.

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Sent mine off to TVS Pro today. Can't wait to have it back!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I was wondering if any of you have insights or answers to some of my questions. I appreciate any help!

I am looking to upgrade from an Epson 5030 (120” screen), which I love, but when I am playing 4K games such as Red Dead on Xbox One X, I can’t see targets off in the distance that I can see on my Sony 65” 4K TV.

I am hoping that an upgrade to a projector like the UHZ65 will allow me to see the details I am currently missing. Does anyone have any insights or similar experience to offer?

I am excited to see a few are going to explore the TVPros upgrade. I am interested in that. One of the big draws to me for the laser UHZ65 is the increase in brightness. My current set up is a converted garage. I can control the light, but it is nice to let a little air in, but as you all know just about any light washes out the Epson instantly. Does anyone have any real world insight into the brightness improvement vs. an older projector? Like for instance an adjacent hallway light that used to bleed into your movie room and ruin the image has less effect with the laser projector. I know 3,000 L is brighter, but I’d love to hear actual stories.

I wait anxiously to hear the feedback from the TVPros upgrade. Is it worth the loss of brightness? Is that the only possible downside.

Also, the cost of the TVPros upgrade puts it slightly more than the 4K Sony projector. Knowing you all have done as much (and more) research than I have…. Would that price jump make you consider the Sony more than before? I have seen the tests and comparisons. I was hoping for insight from non professionals.

One last one, I currently have a motorized 120” 1:1 gain screen from Monoprice. I love it. But I have read all the marketing on the 4K screens. I am in marketing, so this is why I would love some real world real human feedback. Do I really need to look into upgrading my screen to see a difference? Do I run the risk of spending $5K on a 4K projector and only getting some improvement, not all the glory? Have any of you done side by side with your older screen then with a new 4K screen?

Thank you all, I have such great respect for this forum and you folks,
Cheers,
Dino

·
Registered
3,925 Posts
I was wondering if any of you have insights or answers to some of my questions. I appreciate any help!

I am looking to upgrade from an Epson 5030 (120” screen), which I love, but when I am playing 4K games such as Red Dead on Xbox One X, I can’t see targets off in the distance that I can see on my Sony 65” 4K TV.
Have any of you done side by side with your older screen then with a new 4K screen?

Thank you all, I have such great respect for this forum and you folks,
Cheers,
Dino
I've had the Epson 5030, the JVC X750, and the JVCX990 and now have a Runco and Sony 695ES. I can tell you that the UHZ65's images, especially for HDR, really impressed me. I definitely liked it more than the 5030 and preferred its tone mapping abilities even over that of the JVCs'.

I returned the projector only because I was having issues with the menu screen/functions. Otherwise, brightness (calibrated lumens were around a good 2,600), sharpness, contrast, motion, and general color were all truly good to great and it's a laser! Assuming the menu issues were flukes with mine, in my opinion, the projector has so many pluses and only two weaknesses: 1) if you're RBE sensitive, you'll see them due to the speed of the color wheel (I would demo first); 2) at least in dynamic black two, I measured over 35,000:1 contrast, but you might see brightness compression in things like faces where the background is very dark and some visible dimming action.

I didn't use the machine for games, so I don't know, but expect an increase in sharpness and precision over the 5030 due to the UHZ being XPR 4K and being single chip.

Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I've had the Epson 5030, the JVC X750, and the JVCX990 and now have a Runco and Sony 695ES. I can tell you that the UHZ65's images, especially for HDR, really impressed me. I definitely liked it more than the 5030 and preferred its tone mapping abilities even over that of the JVCs'.

I returned the projector only because I was having issues with the menu screen/functions. Otherwise, brightness (calibrated lumens were around a good 2,600), sharpness, contrast, motion, and general color were all truly good to great and it's a laser! Assuming the menu issues were flukes with mine, in my opinion, the projector has so many pluses and only two weaknesses: 1) if you're RBE sensitive, you'll see them due to the speed of the color wheel (I would demo first); 2) at least in dynamic black two, I measured over 35,000:1 contrast, but you might see brightness compression in things like faces where the background is very dark and some visible dimming action.

I didn't use the machine for games, so I don't know, but expect an increase in sharpness and precision over the 5030 due to the UHZ being XPR 4K and being single chip.

Good luck with your decision.
How would you compare 4K SDR images to the JVCs?

i went from a RS520 to a Sony VW285, and back to the RS440 (as a placeholder until the JVC 4K units come out). While I have been very happy with the JVCs, I really miss the sharpness, non-convergence issues, and commercial film-like look of DLP. I mostly stream content from the Apple TV (4K SDR with dynamic matching for HDR). I'm really curious how previous JVC owners have felt about this projector as I'm really looking for a reason to get back to DLP.

thanks for the help

1301 - 1320 of 1846 Posts