AVS Forum banner

1841 - 1860 of 1865 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
This thread is very helpful. Thx.

Has anyone ever had a chance to see the UHZ65, side by side with the JVC LX-NZ3?

The store where I want to buy from has both but only the JVC on display. It looks great in their setup but what am I really comparing it to? I know there is one guy on YouTube who rips the JVC left and right but I would love it if someone had a side by side comparison.
I haven't seen them side-by-side. The JVC is less expensive, lower MSRP; the Optoma has a larger DMD chip.

·
Registered
2,382 Posts

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
What might be the effect of the larger DMD chip?
Technically, contrast and sharpness but from what I hear the JVC LX-NZ3 is pretty sharp. Funny thing now, I just saw that Projectorreviews.com says the LX-NZ3 has a .69 chip,
see JVC LX-NZ3 4K Laser DLP Projector Review - Projector Reviews

but I'm almost certain it has a .47 chip, just like the lamp-based version. Projector Central also say it has a .47 chip.
see JVC LX-NZ3B DLP Projector

Whether the .47 chip or .69, given that both the UHZ and LX-NZ3 are both laser projectors and the difference in MSRP between it and the UHZ65, it might be worth investigating. I know @Mike Garrett has one. Maybe reach out to him to ask which chip size or whatever other questions about it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the optical out carries through the sound from the connected source . As in if I connect an amazon 4k fire stick to HDMI can I use an optical cable from the projector to my Sonos sound bar set up ?
thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I know what your saying but I’ve got the new Sonos arc and gen 3 sub, which I’ve pinched from the tv until I get an amp and speakers I’d like. So in the mean time it would be handy for this to work this way for me (y)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I know what your saying but I’ve got the new Sonos arc and gen 3 sub, which I’ve pinched from the tv until I get an amp and speakers I’d like. So in the mean time it would be handy for this to work this way for me (y)
Just joking with you. Not something I have ever used as I only have video out going from my AVR to my projector but yes, what you want to do should work.

·
Registered
540 Posts
In some projectors this is limited to Stereo sound and there could be another limitations in the sound quality also. You should check the projectors manual for more info, but at least you should be able to get some sound out of it :)

·
Registered
445 Posts
Not a lot of traffic in the UHZ65LV owners thread,so does anyone know if it is the same as UHZ65 only WITH 3D? I cancelled my order for the UHZ65 if i can get the LV with 3D and it is the same i am very tempted,but if it isnt the same image i have to re-order the UHZ65..

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Given the decrease in price I'm somewhat getting interested in the UHZ65 as there are apparently no DLP alternatives available that provide satisfying black level reproduction (not sure about the Viewsonic X100-4K LED DLP and expect the LG Hu810P Laser DLP to be rather expensive).

However, two users in the German HiFi forum reported what appear to be issues with the latest two firmware updates, namely "16" and "17". Supposedly the CMS Color Management has been disabled, i.e. while you can change settings they supposedly will not reflect in the projection image.

Verification and feedback would be most welcome, thanx in advance.

·
Registered
670 Posts
some newer LED 4k DLP models are supposedly on the way sometime..... wonder if they might support dolby vision? hdmi 2.1 and all that?

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
some newer LED 4k DLP models are supposedly on the way sometime..... wonder if they might support dolby vision? hdmi 2.1 and all that?
Yeah, laser or LED is the way to go. I know that now that I have had my UHZ65 for almost a year and a half now I’ll never go back to bulb based projectors.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, BUT - according to Page 32 of the UHZ65 user manual the UHZ65 is supposedly 3D DLP-Link enabled, provided 3D program content is fed at [email protected] (only 3D resolution supported).

Admittedly this somewhat contradicts Page 29 stating: 3D: To experience the 3D effect, you need to have 3D glasses, make sure your PC/portable device has a 120 Hz signal output quad buffered graphics card and have a 3D Player installed.

Has anybody tried / verified this? All I found in this thread a couple of pages ago was a relatively new user, who claimed it wouldn't work, but the user manual says otherwise.

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I'm not trying to beat a dead horse, BUT - according to Page 32 of the UHZ65 user manual the UHZ65 is supposedly 3D DLP-Link enabled, provided 3D program content is fed at [email protected] (only 3D resolution supported).

Admittedly this somewhat contradicts Page 29 stating: 3D: To experience the 3D effect, you need to have 3D glasses, make sure your PC/portable device has a 120 Hz signal output quad buffered graphics card and have a 3D Player installed.

Has anybody tried / verified this? All I found in this thread a couple of pages ago was a relatively new user, who claimed it wouldn't work, but the user manual says otherwise.
It works using the very limited equipment requirements, and IMO relatively useless, described in the documentation. Not interested personally so never bothered to try it.

·
Registered
194 Posts

This post: Official Optoma UHZ65 Owners Thread from @Dan Shearer

is the most elaborated successful explanation that I have read.

Wanted to test by myself but I didn't find where to buy that equipment.

I have seen also that there is a box from Optoma itself called "Optoma 3D-XL", but I don't know if it is compatible with our UHZ65

Maybe I will explore that again, after watching Lichtmond The Journey in a very good 3D in a Panasonic 3D TV. I Would really like to watch it in my theater with the UHZ65 and Dolby Atmos. That is really a Redference Demo of both 3D video and Dolby Atmos.

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
Went back in my domestic (German) HiFi Forum thread to December 2019. A very active UHZ65 owner (Firmware C17) reported that he could make the 3D work using a conventional 3D Blu-ray player (output [email protected]): Optoma UHZ65, Projektoren / Beamer - HIFI-FORUM (Seite 11)

It's DLP-Link only (DLP-Link glasses required that compensate the red flash) and you can't apply PureMotion FI for 3D program content. However, ne noticed that during bright image content you'd notice a razor sharp line in the center of the image, "as if two sheets of glass would meet"

Curiously, I observed the same effect on my Optoma HD83(00) after testing various digital zoom modes which scared me into thinking that there might be a malfunction with my DMD. It looked like several vertical lines of micromirrors wouldn't accept image information and somehow this was compensated by joining the remaining left and right half of the image at this seam (never revisited this feature and glad that I haven't observed the effect since).

I think it's safe to say that with such side effects it's no fun watching a 3D film.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,860
Has anyone had just the HDMI2 port go dead and not HDMI1? I took a lightning strike and it appears to have taken out my receiver, my Ruipro Fiber HDMI cable, and my Netgear network switch. I talked with a repair place and they said it sounded odd that it would have only taken out the HDMI2 port and not HDMI1.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

1841 - 1860 of 1865 Posts