AVS Forum banner

1861 - 1880 of 1884 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
My in-laws purchased the UHZ-65 last year and I installed it in their home theater, replacing the lamp-powered version of the same projector. It's hooked up to a Denon AVR-X6300H 4K receiver. Everything worked great for a couple of months, but then it stopped working with a 4K signal. By switching the HDMI cable on both devices to the non-4K ports (HDMI1 for the projector), I was able to keep it working with HD signals only. However, now it stopped even doing that. No video signal at all from receiver to projector. If I connect the projector directly to the cable box or Xbox, I get a picture, which makes me think there's a problem with the receiver. My hope is that there's some sort of setting that's causing an incompatibility, rather than a hardware issue. Anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
I noticed the last couple of weeks when I play 4K HDR games on my PS4 Pro then switch back to my HTPC the projector picture mode stays on HDR, even if the movies I play are SDR. any reason for this? sometimes it switches back normally to SDR/cinema and sometimes it just sits at HDR. any reason for this? it didn't do this before.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I noticed the last couple of weeks when I play 4K HDR games on my PS4 Pro then switch back to my HTPC the projector picture mode stays on HDR, even if the movies I play are SDR. any reason for this? sometimes it switches back normally to SDR/cinema and sometimes it just sits at HDR. any reason for this? it didn't do this before.
Make sure the projector is not in simulated HDR mode. When watching SDR content, set the PJ into the picture mode you desire. Then go to the dynamic range module and set it to "auto."

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
My UHZ65 will START a movie in HDR, and then moments later kick out of HDR to a dimmer picture. Any ideas?

·
Registered
202 Posts
It happens something similar to me when I start everything, first the Projector, then the AVR and finally the source SDR and the projector syncs at HDR.

I think it is some kind of wrong or incomplete HDMI handshake when changing from different sources. Also, when AVR is off, the HDMI passthrough of the last connected source may play a role in that mess.

When it happens, I reboot the Vertex2 that I have between the AVR and the Projector and, as it forces a new HDMI 'clean' handshake, it always solve the problem and the projector syncs at SDR.

Even my wife notice and knows about it, and when she see a more brilliant washed picture than normal, she says to me: "reboot that thing...".

Reactions: Balbolito

·
Registered
987 Posts
Is it stable and have most of the problems been resolved?

The last I read, the firmware updates improved the RBE and colour fidelity issues.

Any improvement in terms of tone mapping?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
According to two German users fimwares C16 and C17 disabled the CMS Color Management. They claimed to have moved the onscreen levers but nothing got saved.

·
Registered
987 Posts
According to two German users fimwares C16 and C17 disabled the CMS Color Management. They claimed to have moved the onscreen levers but nothing got saved.
Thanks Frank, could you kindly expand on your comments in a bit more detail. So are you saying that the UHZ65 has no colour management?

Onscreen levers ?

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Thanks, then it appears that there might be a problem with some European units, because what the two German HiFi Forum users described and lamented was the dysfunctional CMS Color management and while one is a new user (since 2019) the other one qualifies as a veteran (since 2017) IMHO. AFAIK Optoma Germany didn't get back into the problem and the current price of the UHZ65 in Germany (quite a bargain, I was interested myself) somewhat raises an eyebrow or two. :(

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've had my UHZ65 professionally calibrated, and everything looks great when the projector is outputting at 2160p 60hz, but when the output is 3840x2160 24hz (from a different source device) the picture/colors are washed out on the same SDR source file. All the projector settings I can find are the same across both output signals. Is there something I am missing for why this is happening? Any help you would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,348 Posts
I've had my UHZ65 professionally calibrated, and everything looks great when the projector is outputting at 2160p 60hz, but when the output is 3840x2160 24hz (from a different source device) the picture/colors are washed out on the same SDR source file. All the projector settings I can find are the same across both output signals. Is there something I am missing for why this is happening? Any help you would be greatly appreciated.
It sounds like that other source is sending wide color but the projector is set to SDR standard color rec 709. Even in SDR, that player may be set to SDR BT2020. Make sure your source devices are set to HDR Auto and then set your projector's Dynamic Range to auto.

Also, if that other source is going into the projector's HDMI port 1, that port is not for HDR which has the wider color capability.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Latest firmware is C17 and it excludes the CMS only when color gamut is set to Native.
If you get a bright picture at first and then it goes dimm, it is not due to the PJ kicking out from HDR, but simply adjusting to the information it is receiving and to the settings the user has made.
If you are using DB on 2 then this is more likely to happen especially if you followed the standard calibration procedures for gamma.
My suggestion is to calibrate gamma with DB 2 on. If done properly you will get rid of almost 100% of brightness jumps and the effect of high brightness for a section of a film when initially displayed in HDR. It took me almost 2 years to figure this out. Another thing not to be underestimated is a better colour pallet, which is maintained in bright as well as dark scenes. You are also getting less RBE and better contrast.
You may verify the effect of DB on vs. off by using the S&M UHD calibration disc and looking at the contrast pattern with DB off. The segments go from gray to bright white. When you switch to DB on, the brighter patterns turn to a yellow-ish tint. This is due to several adjustments the projector is doing at the same time: changing light output and modifying the gamma curve to compensate for the brighter and darkest areas displayed on screen at the same time.
Projectors that use an iris only limit the amount of light output to get deeper blacks (in practice it is limiting the amount of light reflected from the screen), while light dimming also changes the gammut, thus the reason of calibrating the gamma with DB on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks Norixone , this your tip "My suggestion is to calibrate gamma with DB 2 on ", it can make the turn on the correct use of the projector .
...curiosity what screen gain you have ?

·
Registered
293 Posts
Thanks Norixone , this your tip "My suggestion is to calibrate gamma with DB 2 on ", it can make the turn on the correct use of the projector .
...curiosity what screen gain you have ?
I have a 1.2 gain screen in a totally blacked out dedicated theater room.

1861 - 1880 of 1884 Posts