241 - 260 of 5771 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Reactions: vaktmestern

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hum, there seems to be some disagreement on the dimming issue.

These link's are from a thread you did a lot of posting in. The say there is NP as long as the patch changes.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...nomaly-newest-new-lg-oled-6.html#post30947250

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/139-d...nomaly-newest-new-lg-oled-6.html#post30947058

btw, I am not saying you are wrong. Only that you are the first post I read that says there is a issue. And that is very troubling after thinking there was no problem.

ss

Hi all

I've owned a 930 ( uk ) since December and now have a 960. Had ZT before that ( my article by the way)

The latest firmware has upped the abl threshold on the 930.

The black level control in the options menu is actually the hdmi black level.

Low it is in of mode high is video mode and set correctly the set behaves in a totally different way.

The high setting is 16-235. Low is 0-255

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey, Bumtious, just finished reading your comparison writeup between EC930 and EG960: http://www.displayandsoundcalibration.com/world-exclusive-lg-eg-960v-vs-lg-ec-930v-2/
One quick question: How did you measure the input lag (Leo Bodnar or camera method) and did you rename the HDMI label to PC before measuring the input lag in game mode?
Thx

Yes and you can see the difference between the sets visually in the video.

Quick question for you guys. Does this site support prompts to subscribed posts through the tapatalk app.

·
Registered
935 Posts
That video confused me since I thought that it would somehow show the TVs displaying the input lag numbers (either Leo Bodnar or camera by hooking them to a monitor).

EDIT:

Noticed that there's no mention of near black banding or darker edges in your article. Or are those the "vertical lines" that you're writing about?
Do you also make trips to Germany/Hamburg? :)

·
Registered
100 Posts
That video confused me since I thought that it would somehow show the TVs displaying the input lag numbers (either Leo Bodnar or camera by hooking them to a monitor).

EDIT:

Noticed that there's no mention of near black banding or darker edges in your article. Or are those the "vertical lines" that you're writing about?
Do you also make trips to Germany/Hamburg? :)

Oh I see., sorry. No I just wanted to try and explain that looking in shops you can actually see the speed sets process. While that does not matter for tv viewing it is an issue for some gamers.
Germany sure. I've already done other parts of Europe. No further than some of the guys travel around the U.S. So sure it's do able.

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
Really? Not one of the 4K models, I hope? I was looking at that very same unit, but it's HDMI 1.4 and will only do 4:2:0 output @ 4K/60Hz.
Lumagen is working on the Radiance Pro which will be 4k in 4k out with full HDMI 2.0 if you configure it that way. Probably available late this year.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi all

I've owned a 930 ( uk ) since December and now have a 960. Had ZT before that ( my article by the way)

The latest firmware has upped the abl threshold on the 930.

The black level control in the options menu is actually the hdmi black level.

Low it is in of mode high is video mode and set correctly the set behaves in a totally different way.

The high setting is 16-235. Low is 0-255
Great write-up, Bumtious, and it's terrific to see that a full white screen has jumped up from between 70 and 90 cd/m2 on a 930 to an amazing 141cd/m2 with the 960 - with plasmas at about 41-51 cd/m2.

Given this, I can't imagine ABL being an issue on these sets at all, and the brightness bodes well for HDR compatibility being added later this year.

Also great to read that the faint vertical lines some have noticed on grey screens appear to be disappearing over time as the TV settles in.

And it's really interesting that the clue to solving the supposed 'black crush' is to turn the HDMI black level response setting to 'High' instead of 'Low'. Seems almost counter-intuitive, which is probably why it's been largely missed.

Anyway, congratulations for a fantastic write-up on what appears to be a brilliant TV. Frankly, I can't wait to get my hands on a flat version, hopefully by September.

Desk

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
Could you please direct me to Zoyd's post?

One way around the OLED dimming problem would be to have the ability to pause the LUT calibration, play some actual content for a short period of time, and then resume the LUT calibration. But I don't think that is possible with any of the current software calibration packages.
It starts with zoyd's post dated March 22nd and continues at different points after that. http://www.spectracal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=5664

Might be a wild goose chase but then if it does help with the dimming on the LG OLED, we might have a work around.

·
Registered
100 Posts
It starts with zoyd's post dated March 22nd and continues at different points after that. http://www.spectracal.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=94&t=5664

Might be a wild goose chase but then if it does help with the dimming on the LG OLED, we might have a work around.

I've had absolutely no issues doing calibrations on this tv.

I do have a quick meter and so is my laptop. Can't stress it enough, having the black level setting set correctly changes completely changes the behaviour of the set.

Sadly that means that the built in apps and tuners are a problem cuz the black level setting is fixed to low.

Not an issue with the 960 as the abl is much less aggressive.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't have an LG, but it's my understanding that 'low' generally implies a video level of 16-235, which is correct for non-computer, normal TV source applications.

It's the other way round Ken. Panasonics setting is normal and full. Low = full high = normal ie 16-235

You only have to look at the response of the brightness control when high it works as it should. You also loose the "ruddy" look of earthly colors but most importantly it changes the way abl works.

Everyone has got this wrong including LG. It's pioneer over again. Things seem to have got lost in translation. It may also be just trying to create more punch in a showroom but then it has store mode.

I assure you it should be set to high.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Bumtious, as a 960v owner am I correct in saying that I should set the black level to high? Also do you recommend tweaking any other settings to elicit maximum performance barring a full calibration?

241 - 260 of 5771 Posts