AVS Forum banner

941 - 960 of 5771 Posts

·
Registered
33,528 Posts
I hear you. But the guy who posted this said that it is not a poorly photographed shot of his TV and that was exactly the way his TV looked in the photos he posted. So nobody was assuming anything when he is saying that's why his TV really looked like. And he returned it. Ken, you gotta understand somebody in my position who is about to drop all this money on a TV, then sees this. Yes, I panicked. Let me ask you, do you think LG will have some of these issues worked out on the flat version when it comes out ( EF9500) ? And if I get this model ( EG9600), do I have to engage the Tru Motion when watching action movies or is the motion handling as good as a plasma and won't need to ? One thing I hate and could not stand about regular LED TVs was that soap opera effect. All the movies looked like home videos. My plasmas never had that problem.
As I've said before, rather than use a picture (and regardless of what anyone says, it is not possible to capture what the actual TV's picture looked like from a photograph that's displayed on your computer monitor...it simply isn't possible), you need to see the display in person.

As to whether any remaining issues (LG has already addressed some issues in the current 2015 displays) are addressed, I'm not sure what issues you're referring to.

·
Vendor
29,862 Posts

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
That is a pretty in depth conspiracy theory. :)

No, I find it interesting that it may be ok to post a picture of a sets faults, but not one of it looking pretty freakin' good.
that is not true. plenty of good pic were posted both here and in the UK forum. I did NOT see one single comment to criticize them for posting good pics. Instead, lots of like.

I do think that there are those that want to not enjoy OLED and want nothing more than to point out its faults. Crazy to me with a technology that is pretty much still in its infancy for large screen home use.
There may be some people will be that extreme, but there are also people on the opposite side.

I have said it before, if there was a perfect set, we would all own one. It will never exist.
So, since it is not perfect and it costs a fortune, as a matter of fact, is the most expensive tv in the world, can we talk about its imperfection then?

Maybe it is a conspiracy that 90% of the reviews say "Best TV" or "Best Picture Ever".

I have learned that everyone is wrong when it comes to OLED. I would hate for people to be put off or scared to purchase it as we all do pretty much agree that it is the future of TV tech.
Don't worry. when the price come down to a reasonable point, it is a no brainer to pick the OLED other than the LCD/LED.

I have been tracking the 4k oled forum here and in UK very closely. there are few advanced/senior members have returned their sets. I honestly don't think they are LG haters. they were posting very positive comments and pictures at the beginning, they returned and replaced the sets later simply because there are issues that they don't want to live with, I don't totally agree with them, but calling them lg or oled hater, trashing oled? I think you are going to the other extreme.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
There is nothing wrong with the motion on these TVs, movies look glorious.

For sport, you may want to use a bit of tru-motion but in my experience, it isn't necessary.
I've seen someone report on here that sample and hold creates judder, that is just not true. Judder come either from the tru-motion only (and it's rare).
make comment like that as a non 4k oled owner is simply misleading.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Actually it isn't since I have spent serious time with the EC930, EG960 and EC970 and reported on 2 of them for another site.

·
Premium Member
1,069 Posts
but calling them lg or oled hater, trashing oled? I think you are going to the other extreme.
I never called them or any specific poster LG or OLED haters, you are putting words in my mouth.

My original post that seemed to set you off was in reference to the following exchange...

Here is how the fight looked on my new set.
no liltalkm, that isn't. There is no way! The image that you see can't pass through your camera and our (LCD) screens.
Sorry it's pretty trivial, but it must be pointed out, otherwise someone else may think to be able to infer on TVs picture quality based on what he sees on his PC or smartphone.

Why not? People do a great job of trashing OLED this way.

:D
Not sure what set you off as none of it was directed towards you.

If my set develops a problem, I will be sure to say so. At the same time, I refuse to be hyper critical of the tech and only manufacturer that is currently providing me with the best TV experience I have ever had.

It is not like these sets are hunks of junk.

Reactions: mo949

·
Registered
935 Posts
The motion of the EG9600 never bothered me, but this is coming from someone who has mostly used LED TVs without any kind of motion compensation in the past. The first thing I did was turning off TruMotion. For all HDMI ports.

I checked my EC9700, the band is there, but only half the size of yours. there is an additional small bands on the right side. Oh, I just remembered I had post a 5% pic a while ago. see here. there is absolutely no change of the darker sides or the banding since then, whoever states those things will get better with time best to post some before and after pics to prove it, otherwise, I'd say it is just your imagination.
Thank you. I actually checked a couple of early pages of the EC9700 thread to see if you had posted anything like that, but couldn't find it anymore. Funny thing is that it was actually me that had requested those pics from you in the past. Simply forgot about it.
As you have probably seen, the new british 65EC9700 owner over at avforums also posted pics of 5/10% and those seem to look okay.

Sorry to see you waiting this set for so long only to return it. No sure a replacement is worth it or not, I think most likely you will get a different pattern of banding. However, I have to say the I am not bothered by the banding like the others, barely notice them with real content even if I look really hard. The darker sides are quite annoying at times though, like watching through a binocular as some members in the UK forum stated.
The banding annoyed me more, but who knows how much the dark edges would get on my nerves if the banding wasn't there.

I was gonna go to BB after work to look at the 55" EG9600 when I saw this thread and no one responded. I wanted to get one this weekend for the fight. Now I'm thankful I didn't. Why does his PQ look so terrible for the fight ? I watched it on my parents' F8500 plasma and it looked way better than this ! What happened here in this photo ? So confused. Am I buying an Oled? Am I not ?
The only purpose of that blurry photo taken with an iPhone 6 was to show the obvious difference in black performance between the EG9600 4K OLED on the left and my old Sony Full HD LED TV on the right. Nothing more. Watching that Klitschko fight on the 4K OLED was a joy.

For somebody like myself who likes to watch a lot of boxing, the photo on the right is what my Oled would look like ? The LED on the left looks way better. There's no way to fix that ? Yapped couldn't , so he returned it. I would be spending too much money for my set to look like that when I want to watch a boxing match. Can any professional calibrators comment on this ?
LOL, really surprised how anyone could seriously think that the right TV is the OLED. :D
I returned the TV due to the near black issues, mainly the banding. But you couldn't see those when watching the fight. Basically no gray/near blacks where those could have shown up.So I'll say it again: this photo is good for showing the impressive blacks of the OLED in comparison to a LED TV (with VA panel, but no Local Dimming function), nothing else.
I consider a photo useful if it succesfully captures and shows what the person taking it wants us to see.

I have been tracking the 4k oled forum here and in UK very closely. there are few advanced/senior members have returned their sets. I honestly don't think they are LG haters. they were posting very positive comments and pictures at the beginning, they returned and replaced the sets later simply because there are issues that they don't want to live with, I don't totally agree with them, but calling them lg or oled hater, trashing oled? I think you are going to the other extreme.
That hater claim is soo stupid.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Actually it isn't since I have spent serious time with the EC930, EG960 and EC970 and reported on 2 of them for another site.
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with motion either, but I do need to set custom truemotion to reduce juddering, which match what the uk hdtvtest review said. " all OLED TVs manufactured to date use a sample-and-hold driving method, making their motion more akin to LCDs than CRTs and plasmas. LG’s EG9600 is no different ... In general viewing, we spotted some stuttering from time to time "
So, when you said nothing wrong with motion, do you mean nothing wrong as oled, but not as good as plasma or CRT? it may not be relevant because of the demise of CRTs or plasmas, but don't you think people want to know if it is ture?

·
Registered
187 Posts
I own a VT65 plasma and I would choose the OLED for motion every time.
The plasmas use multiscan in Europe so you get multiple edges on motion which comes across as a form of judder.
You will also see it on the VT60/5 with p24 content where the set splits the subfields up into 4 groups.
It drives me crazy and along with DFC is the reason I'm planning to buy a flat OLED.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I own a VT65 plasma and I would choose the OLED for motion every time.
The plasmas use multiscan in Europe so you get multiple edges on motion which comes across as a form of judder.
You will also see it on the VT60/5 with p24 content where the set splits the subfields up into 4 groups.
It drives me crazy and along with DFC is the reason I'm planning to buy a flat OLED.
Here you get your flat tv on 3-8 days :D
https://www.hembiobutiken.se/produkter/tv-apparater/65-tum/218250-lg-65ef980v/

·
Registered
85 Posts
Good news, the banding on the latest April batch of 55EG960's is much better:
https://www.avforums.com/index.php?posts/22091189
His one looks really good but I honestly don't believe that manufacturing date alone is a sign of better uniformity.

I'm sure you could unbox 10 different panels and they'd all have variances in dark level uniformity.

It's good that he got a better one, I'm still tempted to exchange mine, although what puts me off is knowing my luck the next one will be even worse. I've been through the exchange lottery and often I'll go through 3 or 4 and then wish I had kept the original one.:D

·
Banned
425 Posts
What have you done to test the rising black level?
The black bars in some Blu Rays go from true black to gray (dim, mind you, but any change from 0.0 fL to > 0 fL is noticeable) when the APL drops. These aren't the letterbox bars that you'd get from your Blu Ray player if you try to display something at a different aspect ratio, but actual bars in the video content itself. Those are black 16, but if you set the brightness control to a level that doesn't crush 17 with the factory set gamma they become gray in certain very dark scenes :-\

It does suck, and I think it's part of the reason people (myself included) complain about black crushing when they first get this TV. Luckily, I have found that if I do a thorough 2-point white balance and keep track of video level 16, then everything falls into place. Once gamma is fine tuned in the 20-point adjustment, black crushing is eliminated and so are the variable black level issues that used to annoy the hell out of me.

I have also noticed strange noise artifacts near black on a static gray scale pattern when brightness is set wrong and weirdest of all, if I let said pattern blink, part of the pattern lags behind the rest. So while the rest of the pattern is off, there's 2 or 3 gray blocks still on screen. (This is with every possible image processing feature turned off). There are a lot of quirky things this TV does when brightness is set wrong, but unfortunately brightness is the only setting most people have to control black detail.

·
Registered
66 Posts
His one looks really good but I honestly don't believe that manufacturing date alone is a sign of better uniformity.

I'm sure you could unbox 10 different panels and they'd all have variances in dark level uniformity.

It's good that he got a better one, I'm still tempted to exchange mine, although what puts me off is knowing my luck the next one will be even worse. I've been through the exchange lottery and often I'll go through 3 or 4 and then wish I had kept the original one.:D
I'd wait a few more weeks if possible to see if there is any consistency in the good quality of the more recent sets. If there is consistency then return yours and chalk it down to lessons learned being a test pilot.

·
Banned
425 Posts
I don't think there is anything "wrong" with motion either, but I do need to set custom truemotion to reduce juddering, which match what the uk hdtvtest review said. " all OLED TVs manufactured to date use a sample-and-hold driving method, making their motion more akin to LCDs than CRTs and plasmas. LG’s EG9600 is no different ... In general viewing, we spotted some stuttering from time to time "
So, when you said nothing wrong with motion, do you mean nothing wrong as oled, but not as good as plasma or CRT? it may not be relevant because of the demise of CRTs or plasmas, but don't you think people want to know if it is ture?
Personally, when I got this TV I hated the motion quality. I'd been using CRT and later plasma exclusively for the past 30 years, so LCD-like motion performance was a real kick in the face for me. I've learned to live with the soap opera effect, but I'd still much prefer a screen that flickered. The TV will never be watchable for me without at least 1-3 de-judder in user TruMotion settings, but I've come to terms with that and I'm alright with it. By the time I replace this TV, they'll have OLEDs out that don't need motion interpolation.

I know I'm in the minority, but people who complain about to motion on this TV are probably all in a similar position.

·
Registered
4,956 Posts
Kaldaien, I too enjoy the double-shutter like flicker. I just wish it didn't have to come with all the other cons of plasma motion. I also look forward to best of both worlds on that particular front. There's just something 'filmic' about getting that theater flicker ---- although funny enough the cinema side of things views that flicker as a necessary evil that they've tried to mitigate.

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
Personally, when I got this TV I hated the motion quality. I'd been using CRT and later plasma exclusively for the past 30 years, so LCD-like motion performance was a real kick in the face for me. I've learned to live with the soap opera effect, but I'd still much prefer a screen that flickered. The TV will never be watchable for me without at least 1-3 de-judder in user TruMotion settings, but I've come to terms with that and I'm alright with it. By the time I replace this TV, they'll have OLEDs out that don't need motion interpolation.

I know I'm in the minority, but people who complain about to motion on this TV are probably all in a similar position.
I set my de-judder at 0 and de-blur at 7, based on Spears & Munsil's motion pattern. works well for me to remove stuttering.

·
Registered
4 Posts
PLEASE HELP 65EG9600 or 65EC9700? Please...

If this is the wrong thread I do apologize - obviously trying to respect the rules.

I am trying to decide between the EC9700 and the EG9600.

Which TV is superior in your opinion - please - I've called LG of course to no avail (they read me what was on the web site). Man I'm desperate for advice.

It seems the EG is newer, but when I go to the LG site it seems like the EC has way more video, audio, and application features. I have sen an EG in person but not an EC.

I do understand the EG has web 2.0 and maybe a faster processor?

Please - anyone who know which one gives the premiere picture, etc or ay other information - please lend a brother a hand ;)

TIA,

Nick

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
The EG is a 2015 model, the EC is a 2014 model.
The EG is said to have a 10% brighter picture and a more uniformed display.
The EG has a $3000 lower MSRP.
The EC has a little better built in speaker system.

imo its a no brainier, EG is the way to go.

If you want read the last 10 pages in both the EC and EG threads.

ss

Reactions: vaktmestern

·
Premium Member
376 Posts
The EG is said to have a 10% brighter picture and a more uniformed display.
Ok, what do you mean by "is said to"?
who said? some users? official reports?
Could you point me a reliable source to back up what you claim? thanks

Edit
all others appear to be correct. The ec9700 indeed is dual core and the EG9600 is quad core, per LG official website.
The ec9700 has one more HDMI input.

941 - 960 of 5771 Posts