AVS Forum banner

4141 - 4160 of 6049 Posts

·
Banned
8,184 Posts
I purchased my 8000 from Amazon on release and when I found out that Amazon wasn't on the "approved" dealers list, I contacted Amazon about warranty coverage from Panasonic and they assured me Panasonic would honor the warranty. I needed warranty service and had zero problems dealing with Panasonic and their national support center located in Kansas.
great info! wish I had known this I would have used my amazon account to buy one...oh well..

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
I don't think that is the issue. The fabric I got from JoAnn's was some sort of blackout cloth. I bought it after recommendations from this forum way back then. Behind the screen is just the wall which is painted a dark gray/blue color. I fired up my old project (Panasonic PT-L500U) and you can see from these images using the same source material I think it is definitely the projector and not the screen. Contacted Projector People and they are going to review my pics.
If the diffraction isn't caused by the screen (which blackout material should be fine), then you may have some haze somewhere in the optical path. Perhaps sending it in for a professional cleaning would help.

Chris

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
I purchased my 8000 from Amazon on release and when I found out that Amazon wasn't on the "approved" dealers list, I contacted Amazon about warranty coverage from Panasonic and they assured me Panasonic would honor the warranty. I needed warranty service and had zero problems dealing with Panasonic and their national support center located in Kansas.
I bought an AVR from a large chain retailer, but bought it through Amazon. I decided I did not want the AVR and called to get my money back and they said I could not return it. Then she realized I bought it through Amazon and she then said I would be able to do a full cash refund as I bought it through Amazon? Amazon is big!!

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Yep. Unfortunately that is what I had it in most of the time. Tried changed it to Normal mode, tried resetting the projector a couple of times. Nothing seems to fix it. Guess I will be contacting Projector People tomorrow. I have had it a week though so I am passed their 10 hour mark. So I take it that means they won't do the exchange and will have to go through Panasonic??
Talked w/ Projector People today and they said 30 days and four hours.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Hmmm... better do all your calibration and testing quick. 4 hours goes by fast.

I don't get my 8000 delivered until Monday, but the 8 pairs of PS3 3D glasses I got from Amazon showed up today. For less than $7.50 a pair, I'm really impressed with the construction. It took a little digging for me to figure out that to charge them up, you have to turn their power ON. Hopefully, they take the charge and perform just as well. I have a massive head, and can see what people are talking about with the tightness on the temples. I'll just try the boiling water method to loosen a pair or two up for me.

I have had zero problems with my PT-AE2000 for the last 7 years, so people having problems with their 8000's makes me a bit nervous. Hope I get a good set. (got mine from Projector People too)

·
Registered
627 Posts
For people who upgraded from AE2000, how are you liking the AE8000?
Is it a big difference in PQ or brightness? Happy with the switch?
I'm only talking 2d quality here.
I'm up for a new bulb and wondering if I should just put the $350 toward a new AE8000.

·
Registered
399 Posts
For people who upgraded from AE2000, how are you liking the AE8000?
Is it a big difference in PQ or brightness? Happy with the switch?
I'm only talking 2d quality here.
I'm up for a new bulb and wondering if I should just put the $350 toward a new AE8000.
At first, with some high def broadcasts, I was a bit concerned, but after watching Thursday night football I think it was just the cable source material on the earlier shows. I've watched an entire 3D movie and the football game and am very pleased with the overall performance. This thing is a light cannon, and I have it on ECO not for lamp conservation or fan noise, but because of the brightness. I haven't tried the various display options yet, and just have it on "normal" for now. I haven't seen any pulsating brightness or other anomalies. I'm used to the AE2000, so that's my point of reference.
That was the exact upgrade I made. The AE2000 was a great machine, and I ran it through three lamps (over 12000 hours), but it was time to upgrade. My biggest surprise is the quality of the 3D This is my first experience with home 3D, and I'm amazed at how deep and crisp it looks. I know there are a lot of folks that don't appreciate it, but I'm guessing on a small screen (less than 60"), the effect may not be that great.
There's a lot of people talking about that upgrade in the first few pages of this thread. Seems like it's a pretty huge upgrade from everything I read.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine seems out of level like the lens needs to be rotated a few degrees, I am a total newb, is there a simple way to adjust the rotation besides using the feet at different heights?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
Mine seems out of level like the lens needs to be rotated a few degrees, I am a total newb, is there a simple way to adjust the rotation?
Have you adjusted the feet? They are screw-adjustable. Adjust one or the other to level the PJ if on a table/shelf.

Also, be sure to read your entire owner's manual. Lots of insightful information for your particular PJ.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Have you adjusted the feet? They are screw-adjustable. Adjust one or the other to level the PJ if on a table/shelf.

Also, be sure to read your entire owner's manual. Lots of insightful information for your particular PJ.
Yes, but it makes the projector sit at a strange awkward angle i don't like...

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
I will when I get a chance, just imagine the left front foot being extended down an inch and the right foot all the way up, that levels the picture out
That's strange to have that much of an angle.

Check the lens cavity...when you unpacked the pj, did you get all of the packing foam out from behind the lens circular cavity? There are like 4-6 small pieces that have to be taken out or they get lodged back in and limit zoom/focus.

·
Registered
20 Posts
That's strange to have that much of an angle.

Check the lens cavity...when you unpacked the pj, did you get all of the packing foam out from behind the lens circular cavity? There are like 4-6 small pieces that have to be taken out or they get lodged back in and limit zoom/focus.
yes, i just checked again because I just unboxed it tonight. The zoom and focus work great, its just out of rotation. Maybe I just have it to the side of the screen too much (right on the right edge of a 120 inch screen. Does this PJ require you to place it pretty much dead on in the middle?

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
yes, i just checked again because I just unboxed it tonight. The zoom and focus work great, its just out of rotation. Maybe I just have it to the side of the screen too much (right on the right edge of a 120 inch screen. Does this PJ require you to place it pretty much dead on in the middle?
First, put pj feet back fully flat...and then adjust up equally to hit the screen dimensions....count the turns if you have to for each side.

If you're offset that much, you can use the lens shift to compensate. Remove the cover on front right and twist to loosen and manually adjust lens. Then lock back at desired setting.

If possible, I recommend placing the pj close as center to screen.

Your owner's manual has more details on the placement limits on how far off you can place the pj. Very useful table of measurements that many ppl overlook without realizing.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Yep. Unfortunately that is what I had it in most of the time. Tried changed it to Normal mode, tried resetting the projector a couple of times. Nothing seems to fix it. Guess I will be contacting Projector People tomorrow. I have had it a week though so I am passed their 10 hour mark. So I take it that means they won't do the exchange and will have to go through Panasonic??
I was the guy that had this issue in the 7000 thread. In my case I had the projector for a long time. I sent it to Panasonic due to a convergence issue and it came back with this problem. I then went through a series of very frustrating cycles with Panasonic. This started in September. I finally filed a complaint with the BBB and they sent me a brand new PT-AE8000U last week. Unfortunately it has the same problem! It started a few hours after I started using the projector. I remembered that with the PT-AE7000U it was alarmingly dim when I first fired it up but within a few hours it became very bright. This projector started out just about right but within a few hours it was way too bright and has this problem. So for this unit I suspect that it is just too bright for my small room. I only have an 80" screen and about 9.5' from the projector to the screen. I have the projector running in eco mode and Rec709. I tried an ND2 filter but it is still fairly bright and it still has the blooming. I tried an ND4 filter and it really killed the brightness but I still see the blooming. I DO NOT want to talk to Panasonic again. I don't have any patience left for that. In a last ditch effort I have been just running the projector constantly and checking on it to see if the situation is changing. The lamp can really shed a lot of brightness in the first couple hundred hours. I have put 150 hours on the lamp in a week. It is not as bad as it was but it is still pretty bad. I'm betting I'll feel even worse about it when I see my utility bill.

I feel your pain with this issue. My picture looks terrible! It is washed out and things like dark clothing display tons of blooming and show no detail. It is not watchable. I am considering taking it to a friends house. He has a much bigger theater room that I set up for him and I would like to see if the issue is resolved in his room. If it is I'm going to try to sell it to him and wash my hands of it. If it still has this problem I'm calling it a loss. I simply can't deal with Panasonic support again. They are terrible. On multiple occasions they called me a liar. When the projector first came back from repair with the blooming problem they told me I would have to pay to fix it if the solution required them to clean the projector. Unbelievable! Whether I can salvage some money from the unit or not I think I'm ready to move on. I'm very close to buying a Sony HW55ES from AVScience.

What is your screen size and how far is the projector from the screen? Let me know if a replacement unit fixes the problem.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Love this projector for the money!

Just picked up an i1 Display Pro and HCFR. First time doing my own calibration and will be using the beginner's guide in the HCFR thread.

Any additional tips that are projector specific for me for those that have already done this? Plan on utilizing Rec709 as the mode to start with.

Any tips are appreciated.

Regards,

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

4141 - 4160 of 6049 Posts