AVS Forum banner

4161 - 4180 of 6049 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
For people who upgraded from AE2000, how are you liking the AE8000?
Is it a big difference in PQ or brightness? Happy with the switch?
I'm only talking 2d quality here.
I'm up for a new bulb and wondering if I should just put the $350 toward a new AE8000.
I received the AE8000 earlier in the week, and did some preliminary calibrations starting with Cinema1 mode. I am projecting onto a 92" screen approx. 14' away and ceiling mounted. The room can be light controlled, to a certain degree. I have the pj lamp setting set to Eco-Mode. Out of the box the pj was set to the Normal lamp mode, and I noticed it to be quite loud. But since I never ran the AE2000 in Normal mode, I can't say that the AE8000 is any louder or not.

So far I am very pleased with this upgrade. The black level is much deeper, yet still with distinction. The colors are beautiful, and look natural. I have "Detail Clarity" boosted 1 notch, and have increased the horizontal and vertical sharpness by 2 notches, although I'm not sure that's where those settings will finally end up. I'm still playing with the "Frame Creation" mode, and trying to find out what looks more acceptable for what I 'm viewing at that time. My main viewing content is BD, but occasionally I'll stream a show from Netflix or a hockey game, reserving judgement on picture quality of the latter two sources. My wife, who is not really into any of this hobby of mine, actually commented on the picture quality, and we were watching a streamed BBC program from Netflix! Quite a surprise to me.

I have not upgraded my OPPO 83se yet, so I don't have any capability to try out the 3D, although I did purchase a couple of pairs of PS3 glasses when I bought the pj. After reading a post earlier about getting the same glasses from Amazon, for roughly half the price, when the time comes that's where I'll go for any additional glasses we need.

So, so far so good! I for one am happy with the upgrade, and will now try to sell the AE2000. We'll see how that goes.

·
Registered
11,842 Posts
Here are my issues with my Panasonic PT-AE8000U projector
Slideshow of my focus issue and reddish issue on grayscale calibration images
http://s1191.photobucket.com/user/jvonengeln/library/Panasonic%20PT-AE8000U%20Projector%20Issues

Video of focus issue

I've not had any success in getting warranty service yet, but hopefully armed with these pictures and video I can make it happen. I've called several times and been told it is likely my mounting job (using extreme angles or focus adjustment), or that I have a wall that isn't plum. The reddish tint on grayscale images isn't as bad in person as it shows up on that photo, but my friend who is a THX certified video calibrator said that the red was completely ruining any calibration attempt he could make on the device and I needed to send it back - Panasonic support said that was within tolerance when I sent them the pictures and that I should choose a video mode that didn't show the red so bad. I wasn't that concerened with that because you can't see the reddish on real world content because how often do you have an all gray screen or shades of gray? But the focus issue increasingly annoys me and I'm ready to have it fixed. It's one of those things that once you see it - it bugs you. When I'm watching movies it is unnoticeable, but for games, or PC use, or even some TV (which scores, or tickers, or anything in the bottom right corner - it's not ideal.

I bought mine new from B&H photo back in April of 2014. It should be under warranty for two years, but I've not had even a modicum of success trying to convince Panasonic I have a subpar unit. After multiple calls they always are suggesting something else to try. I did try their last suggestion and determined a shelf mount with the projector right side up would work, because it doesn't use the portion of the lens that seems to have a uniformity issue, but I don't want to use a shelf mount. I bought an expensive ceiling mount and prefer to use my ceiling mount to keep it out of the way. I also know my back wall will vibrate way more than my ceiling because of the bass output by my eight 18" subwoofers. I know this because when bass is playing if I touch the ceiling mount where the projector has been it barely moves, while the back wall is vibrating pretty fiercely. I have no convergence issues with this projector and my convergence tests are 100% true --- so I fear to play the refurb game and get a projector with convergence issues ---- but what I have isn't right --- so I hope Panasonic will make it right. FWIW, Epson had way better customer support than Panasonic so far when I've had to deal with Epson in the past.

·
Registered
436 Posts
FWIW, Epson had way better customer support than Panasonic so far when I've had to deal with Epson in the past.
It would be hard to beat the Epson support. After owning a refurbished 5010 for a year, my bulb burned out at 550 hrs even though it had only been used on Eco mode for a movie no more than 2-3 times a week, in a cool basement with no pets or smoking in the house, and with the filter being cleaned on a regular basis. Even though the lamp was technically only warrantied for 90-days (since it was a refurb projector), the Epson support rep immediately offered to either send a new lamp, or a replacement projector, shipped 2-day air. I was probably only talking to the tech for about one minute before she offered to send a replacement.

I just replaced my 5010 with the 8000 since I'm using a scope screen, so I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed that my Panasonic doesn't need any service support! (I was actually planning to go to a JVC, but the wife doesn't want me to spend that much right now.)

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
Well, I just finished setting up my "refurb" ae8000 and absolutely could not be happier. I put "refurb" in the parentheses because I have seen new projectors that don't look as nice as this one does. $1150 was a STEAL for this piece. Not only that, the convergence is UNREAL. Sharp as a tack, only needed to adjust one foot to get the picture square on my 158" scope screen. did a quick and dirty calibration with two lens memories for 2.35 and 16x9. LOVE that feature. Ordered a crapload of 3d glasses from Amazon so those should be here Wednesday. Looking forward to trying 3D out.

Did I mention I also have an Epson 5030UB in the same room? I am soooooo torn as to which one I want to keep.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Well, I just finished setting up my "refurb" ae8000 and absolutely could not be happier. I put "refurb" in the parentheses because I have seen new projectors that don't look as nice as this one does. $1150 was a STEAL for this piece. Not only that, the convergence is UNREAL. Sharp as a tack, only needed to adjust one foot to get the picture square on my 158" scope screen. did a quick and dirty calibration with two lens memories for 2.35 and 16x9. LOVE that feature. Ordered a crapload of 3d glasses from Amazon so those should be here Wednesday. Looking forward to trying 3D out.

Did I mention I also have an Epson 5030UB in the same room? I am soooooo torn as to which one I want to keep.
Wait.........no pics? C'mon man!

LOL...........just pulling your leg. But, if you have a chance.......yeah, share some pics with the folks here for reference on how your unit is performing.

·
Registered
399 Posts

$1150!?!? Where the heck did you find a refurb for that cheap? That's amazing.

I'm super curious to head details about the difference between those two projectors if you have time to do an in-depth comparison.

·
Banned
1,041 Posts
$1150!?!? Where the heck did you find a refurb for that cheap? That's amazing.

I'm super curious to head details about the difference between those two projectors if you have time to do an in-depth comparison.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/122-great-found-deals/1880793-panasonic-pt-ae8000u-3d-projector-refurb-1150-90-day-panasonic-factory-warranty.html

Will shoot a pic of my current "ghetto set up" of dual projectors when i get a chance... Still waiting on my custom table that will house my projector from the Amish...the one that I should have had by xmas....rrrggggghhhh.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Well I set my PT-AE8000U up in a bigger room where I could place the projector about 13' away from a wall. The blooming issue is still very visible. This does not seem to be a common problem so I don't know how I could have possibly ended up with this problem on two different units. I have already ordered the Sony HW55ES but I have this unit that is still under warranty and I'm not sure what I want to do. The idea of calling Panasonic again makes me sick to even think about. I'm almost to the point of wanting to void the warranty to open the thing up to just try cleaning everything I can. I don't think it's the panels because all of the colors are blooming. This is definitely the most frustrating experience I've had as a projector owner.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My AE-8000 arrived today. Being that it's winter, I unboxed it and let it sit for 8 hours to warm up to room temperature, and let any humidity inside evaporate.

Hooked it up, turned on, let it warm up for 45 minutes with various material while I did the initial setup configuration. Then started to eval and dial it in. At first, thought I was seeing problems. 2 primary ones, (1) I set the focus using the built-in lens test pattern, and center looked in focus, but bottom not. And (2) thought I was seeing white bloom. Looked like there might be small haze inside the lens front, like condensation. Kept it turned on to let the heat work.

At the 4 hour mark, I was still testing and calibrating and not sure whether there were problems or not. Had to decide whether to go for a return, but I had to give it a chance for calibration, so I kept going. As I worked and the PJ warmed up with time, the image got even better. I'm upgrading from a PT-AE2000 that I've had for the last 7+ years. The 2000 had come out of the box and needed zero calibration--checked multiple times, and it was right on the money. The new 8000, though... wow, it was way off. Used the Spears & Munsil HD calibration disc. Now I have contrast -11, brightness +1, Color -8, Tint +2, color temp +2, Sharpness +2. I think the wrong contrast had contributed to the white bloom.

Now I've got 8 hours on it, and it's looking real good. Here's my initial impressions:
1. Upgrading from the AE2000, this was absolutely worth it and a no-brainer for the $1499 sale price of last couple weeks.
2. Much brighter than the AE-2000
3. Yes, why go back to a shift-adjustment stick? Cheap, and a step backwards, even from my AE-2000
4. Lamp fan was MUCH louder than my AE-2000. But then I put it in Eco mode, and now it's MUCH quieter than the 2000. Fantastic.
5. For some reason, when switching source inputs, the fan kicks into high gear. Really loud. Then drops back into silent Eco mode with new source. Same thing when the 8000 stays on the same HDMI input, but my A/V receiver switches sources it's sending to it.
6. I still occasionally get the sense there is a bit of white bloom, but not quite sure
7. Occasionally, vivid blues and reds also seem to bloom, but not greens. Like on Sports Center, some shots of Kentucky's blue uniforms had bloom.
8. Yes, I had red-push on my gray scale too, which was odd. Putting the color temp at +2 looks right.
9. Oddly, I'm occasionally seeing some tiny motion judder, like there's a 120Hz motion processor trying to smooth out motion. I didn't think the 8000 was 120Hz.
10. 3D looks good. PS3 glasses worked great in the 5 minute demo I did, especially for the $7.50 Amazon price I paid. They're definitely highly rear-reflective, though. In my pitch black enclosed theater, they were still reflecting ambient light from the rear of the room.

Hopefully everything stays in the positive direction as I get it dialed in and get usage time. But happy so far.

·
Banned
8,184 Posts
Huh?

In a pitch black theater there should be no ambient light to be reflected. This makes no sense

·
Registered
613 Posts
Light from the display (in this case, projector light reflected off the screen) creates low ambient light in any theater.

I guess if one were to watch movies with the display off, yes, it would stay pitch black. :)

·
Banned
8,184 Posts
Light from the display (in this case, projector light reflected off the screen) creates low ambient light in any theater.

I guess if one were to watch movies with the display off, yes, it would stay pitch black. :)
Ahhh I see what your saying. I don't expereince any of what your talking about (reflection in the 3d glasses from back wall light from display) so I was confused

·
Registered
11 Posts
Well I set my PT-AE8000U up in a bigger room where I could place the projector about 13' away from a wall. The blooming issue is still very visible. This does not seem to be a common problem so I don't know how I could have possibly ended up with this problem on two different units. I have already ordered the Sony HW55ES but I have this unit that is still under warranty and I'm not sure what I want to do. The idea of calling Panasonic again makes me sick to even think about. I'm almost to the point of wanting to void the warranty to open the thing up to just try cleaning everything I can. I don't think it's the panels because all of the colors are blooming. This is definitely the most frustrating experience I've had as a projector owner.
My projector is about 14.5 feet away and it's projecting onto a 105" screen so I don't that is the issue either. I am working with Projector People on getting a replacement so I guess I will see if it exhibits the same behavior.

·
Registered
399 Posts
9. Oddly, I'm occasionally seeing some tiny motion judder, like there's a 120Hz motion processor trying to smooth out motion. I didn't think the 8000 was 120Hz.

Hopefully everything stays in the positive direction as I get it dialed in and get usage time. But happy so far.
Thanks for your impression! I just wanted to point out that it comes out of the box with Frame Creation on. I was seeing that weird judder too until I turned it off. Maybe you already did that but since you didn't mention it, I thought I would.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Thanks for your impression! I just wanted to point out that it comes out of the box with Frame Creation on. I was seeing that weird judder too until I turned it off. Maybe you already did that but since you didn't mention it, I thought I would.
Thanks, buddy. I haven't gotten deep enough into the full setup yet to discover that setting, so I hadn't touched it yet. (still don't know yet what "Frame Creation" is) Just turned it off. Motion looks different now. A little funny. I'm going to have to delve in more to tweak that setting.

Day two with the PJ, another complaint I have is the projected picture SHAPE. I took extra effort to adjust my ceiling mount so that the projector LENS hangs in the centerline of the room, not the overall case. (My two previous Panny PT projectors had centerline lenses, this 8000 shifts it to the side again) Leveled it as good as I can. But needed 2 clicks of keystone. Now, the top, bottom, and left edges of the image look plumb, but the top right corner seems to stick further to the right than the bottom right corner. And, perhaps even stranger, the supposed 16:9 native image doesn't perfectly fit my 108" 16:9 Stewart Greyhawk screen. (which I've owned for 8 years) The image is just a bit too narrow, so that if I zoom it out so the image fits the whole screen horizontally, it's maybe a total of 1" too tall vertically. Arrrrrrghh.....

Overall, I'm still liking the projector tho.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Thanks, buddy. I haven't gotten deep enough into the full setup yet to discover that setting, so I hadn't touched it yet. (still don't know yet what "Frame Creation" is) Just turned it off. Motion looks different now. A little funny. I'm going to have to delve in more to tweak that setting.

Day two with the PJ, another complaint I have is the projected picture SHAPE. I took extra effort to adjust my ceiling mount so that the projector LENS hangs in the centerline of the room, not the overall case. (My two previous Panny PT projectors had centerline lenses, this 8000 shifts it to the side again) Leveled it as good as I can. But needed 2 clicks of keystone. Now, the top, bottom, and left edges of the image look plumb, but the top right corner seems to stick further to the right than the bottom right corner. And, perhaps even stranger, the supposed 16:9 native image doesn't perfectly fit my 108" 16:9 Stewart Greyhawk screen. (which I've owned for 8 years) The image is just a bit too narrow, so that if I zoom it out so the image fits the whole screen horizontally, it's maybe a total of 1" too tall vertically. Arrrrrrghh.....

Overall, I'm still liking the projector tho.
if level front to back you should never need keystone. Did you adjust the initial setting with the stupid joy stick under the cover by the IR?

4161 - 4180 of 6049 Posts