AVS Forum banner

4221 - 4240 of 6049 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
I actually have almost the exact same screen setup as you which I am sure has nothing to do with the fact that I have a slight pink tint at the top right corner and lower left. Much less than 1/4 of the height and quite slight especially with my settings the way I like them. I am not thrilled over this fact but I wont send the pj back over this. As for 3D over HDMI, I see no reason to think it matters but I am using HDMI 1 on mine. I have a 30' redmere cable and I am not fully sure about it yet. It seems fine from an HTPC and from a Sony BD player (what I use for 3D) but it may or may not go black with my Kdlinks HD720 while showing a menu every once in a while. It may also be normal on the KD since I have never hooked it up anywhere else.
Sorry to not be more help.

BTW: the 3D control emitters even set at the lowest power setting almost kill the IR from my other remotes. The one for the pj and for the players and my LED lighting all need to be aimed very well to get over that blast of IR from the pj. If I was going to be serious about 3D I would use an external emitter placed in front of the viewers.

Andy
Thanks for your response. As of this point, I'm not sending the pj back either. The only times I seem to really notice the pinkish hue, is when watching a hockey game, or a movie with a snow scene. I noticed you said you are using Monoprices Redmere HDMI cables. Have you noticed any difference from that to a standard high quality HDMI cable? I have always wondered if they really work, or not. As for the IR emitters; I am using a Xantech external receiver with repeater with emitters, since all my equipment is located within a cabinet. I'm hoping that will still work when I do start to use the 3D capabilities of the 8000.

·
Registered
106 Posts
The pinkish hue sounds like color shift. This can happen when the white level is set to high.Try backing down on the contrast setting
while looking at a white picture, or get a decent set up disk and set all the video levels.

·
Registered
213 Posts
The pinkish hue sounds like color shift. This can happen when the white level is set to high.Try backing down on the contrast setting
while looking at a white picture, or get a decent set up disk and set all the video levels.
All this is after I've calibrated the display. If I can remember correctly, for my Cinema 1 settings, the contrast has been reduced by approx. 5 notches in order to achieve the correct white level. I think the brightness is set to a +2 gain. I use the Spears & Munsil calibration disc.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I think that panasonic uses a pink lens filter on cinema 1 mode.Did you try rec 709 mode? I was just looking at the Panasonic factory
video's on projector peoples website in which the panasonic rep mentioned the pink filter.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Thanks for your response. As of this point, I'm not sending the pj back either. The only times I seem to really notice the pinkish hue, is when watching a hockey game, or a movie with a snow scene. I noticed you said you are using Monoprices Redmere HDMI cables. Have you noticed any difference from that to a standard high quality HDMI cable? I have always wondered if they really work, or not. As for the IR emitters; I am using a Xantech external receiver with repeater with emitters, since all my equipment is located within a cabinet. I'm hoping that will still work when I do start to use the 3D capabilities of the 8000.
Gotta love all that bright white watching hockey! As for other cables, I never had a long HDMI cable except this one so I can't comment.

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
No, that refers to the black level setting coming in... either Expand 0-255, or the normal setting of 16-235...

Refer to this....

http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-calibration/hdmi-black-levels-xvycc-rgb

Which says:
"xvYCC - a Marketing Gimmick? Mostly.

With xvYCC, the range is again extended to 0-255 as is expected, since digital TVs have no under- or over-shoot as did analogue television signals. This will effectively override (in theory) any RGB or YCbCr settings on your source, AV receiver, or display. The idea is that the xvYCC color gamut is only effective when all components in a chain support it. While several AV receivers and displays support xvYCC color space, currently only the PlayStation3 provides xvYCC as a source. Here's where it gets dicey: The Blu-ray specification for movies (BD-ROM) does not support Deep Color or the new xvYCC color space."

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I think that panasonic uses a pink lens filter on cinema 1 mode.Did you try rec 709 mode? I was just looking at the Panasonic factory
video's on projector peoples website in which the panasonic rep mentioned the pink filter.
Me? I tried all modes. It is always there at those 2 corners and very bearable using sensible brightness settings. As you can imagine with a 92 inch screen you can generate an amazing amount of light with this thing and at those levels it becomes noticeable but those are settings like a TV in a TV store.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Gotta love all that bright white watching hockey! As for other cables, I never had a long HDMI cable except this one so I can't comment.
Thanks anyway. I just received an HDMI repeater/booster. I'll give that a whirl. I'll post my results, when they happen.

Reactions: netman

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have tried all modes, and they all exhibit the same pink hue, although with different intensities.

Me? I tried all modes. It is always there at those 2 corners and very bearable using sensible brightness settings. As you can imagine with a 92 inch screen you can generate an amazing amount of light with this thing and at those levels it becomes noticeable but those are settings like a TV in a TV store.
Agreed. This pj puts out some light! I'm sure it will be required for 3D viewing, but for 2D I've only needed to use Eco-Mode so far.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Also currently a 7000 owner, looking into the 8K.
You mention the brightness difference between the 7K and 8K is considerable.
that's great.
Hows the 3D?
Is the ghosting any improved from the 7K.
Cause' the 7K was pretty bad!
I moved from the 7k to the 8k 2.5 years ago now when they first came out primarily for the better brightness and the better 3d.

Sadly I was very disappointed.

Sure the 3d is brighter on the 8k, a lot brighter, but it comes at the cost of A LOT more crosstalk / ghosting.

I actually just replaced it yesterday with a new JVC x500 and the differences are staggering. But I digress, I am not here to tote the JVC vs the Panny.

The brightness though was the biggest difference overall, it is eye burningly bright in normal 2d use. :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
I keep it in Eco mode 100% of the time. With the brightness loss in 3D, I turned the 3D brightness setting to "bright", which works well.

It's getting old, though, every time I switch a source, or the source changes from 2D to 3D or something, and the projector blacks out for 3-4 seconds, with the fan howling in standard mode. When it syncs back up, the fan goes back into Eco mode and goes silent, and the picture comes back. I don't know why the fan has to howl out of Eco mode every time this happens.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I have tried all modes, and they all exhibit the same pink hue, although with different intensities.

Agreed. This pj puts out some light! I'm sure it will be required for 3D viewing, but for 2D I've only needed to use Eco-Mode so far.
Too bad the eco setting cannot be remembered in a memory save. That would be the most irritating feature for me. I have a memory for 3D but I still need to go to the eco setting and put it to normal.

·
Registered
15,742 Posts
If no matter what you do this pinkish hue remains, is it possible you are simply watching the exact same reference material each time, namely the hockey game you have recorded IIRC, and that it itself has a slightly pinkish hue due to the original camera's poorly set white balance? Just askin'. :) Have you looked at gray scale test patterns, which are truly neutral, and tried playing around with the pj's color temperature? [Sorry if this has already been covered. I'm new here, but have owned Panny pjs for over a decade.]

·
Registered
213 Posts
Too bad the eco setting cannot be remembered in a memory save. That would be the most irritating feature for me. I have a memory for 3D but I still need to go to the eco setting and put it to normal.
I didn't realize that. I was hoping to just save all the 3D settings, and that would be that.

I keep it in Eco mode 100% of the time. With the brightness loss in 3D, I turned the 3D brightness setting to "bright", which works well.
I will give that setting a go, once I get up and running on 3D. That may be a good work around, regarding the memory save not saving every setting.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Yeah, I personally don't see a need to have multiple settings. I have the standard reference calibration that I use, with 3D brightness enabled so that when it goes into 3D mode, it automatically increases brightness. "Set it, and forget it".

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you're talking about "3D eyewear brightness" setting in the 3D menu, that doesn't change the image brightness of what's projected. It alters the amount of time the glasses' shutters block light. It controls the trade off between ghosting and image darkness when viewed through the glasses.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Personally, I have a picture setting for 3D which is a SUPER bright setting that I calibrated with Video Essentials while using the 2D to 3D conversion function.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hello,

Does anyone know if my current mount for my pt ae4000u will work with the 8000? I've tried looking up pics of the bottom of the 8000 but can't find anything.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

4221 - 4240 of 6049 Posts