AVS Forum banner

5961 - 5980 of 6101 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I ordered a Projector Lamp Experts Platinum bulb with housing for 270.00. Two week wait and they charge my CC when they ship. I will report back.
Vince

·
Registered
14 Posts
I ordered a Projector Lamp Experts Platinum bulb with housing for 270.00. Two week wait and they charge my CC when they ship. I will report back.
Vince
Hello-

My Panasonic AE8000U recently started acting funny with regard to input switching. A few years ago I programmed up a Philips Pronto remote to control the projector and my A/V components, and everything has been working fine until suddenly the projector doesn't seem to be powering up the same way as before. Previously I could rely on it to power up and stay on the HDMI 1 input. Now when it powers up I get a black screen and fan noise, not even the Panasonic logo. The fan seems to run louder than usual, too. But if I simply press the Input button on the factory remote, the fan goes low and the HDMI 1 input goes active so I can see the image, and then it works fine. Any ideas what might be going on? The bulb is only about 50% through a normal life, and I don't think there's a dust accumulation issue.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hello-

My Panasonic AE8000U recently started acting funny with regard to input switching. A few years ago I programmed up a Philips Pronto remote to control the projector and my A/V components, and everything has been working fine until suddenly the projector doesn't seem to be powering up the same way as before. Previously I could rely on it to power up and stay on the HDMI 1 input. Now when it powers up I get a black screen and fan noise, not even the Panasonic logo. The fan seems to run louder than usual, too. But if I simply press the Input button on the factory remote, the fan goes low and the HDMI 1 input goes active so I can see the image, and then it works fine. Any ideas what might be going on? The bulb is only about 50% through a normal life, and I don't think there's a dust accumulation issue.
And I just resolved my problem. :)

My main projector source is a Sony PS3, and I had recently enabled a PS3 option called "Control for HDMI", which allows HDMI devices to control each other. This could automatically turn off the PS3 when the projector turns off, for example. However, it seemed to be messing up projector power-up sequence in some way. Disabling the PS3 option fixed my issue, and now the projector fires up as expected.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Projector Lamp Experts Platinum bulb installed and working great. Colors look so much better than the OEM bulb with over 11000 hours on it.
The original was five years old but took a 3000 hour break when I saw the inventory of 2kAE8000U for 2k dwindling and bought another.
Nothing odd to report. Will add more later.
Vince

·
Registered
23 Posts
Projector Lamp Experts Platinum bulb installed and working great. Colors look so much better than the OEM bulb with over 11000 hours on it.

The original was five years old but took a 3000 hour break when I saw the inventory of 2kAE8000U for 2k dwindling and bought another.

Vince
Hi Vince,

I love the Panasonic, i think its still one of the best 1080p units out there today.

I would like to hear more, is this still a red lamp type like the original globe?

Also I've recently adjusted the focus, and struggled to get it right again, any tricks?

Mines 5 yrs, and the lamps on around 3200hrs since new. Would i benefit much changing? I stll think my brightness is great...

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
609 Posts
Hi Vince,

I love the Panasonic, i think its still one of the best 1080p units out there today.

I would like to hear more, is this still a red lamp type like the original globe?

Also I've recently adjusted the focus, and struggled to get it right again, any tricks?

Mines 5 yrs, and the lamps on around 3200hrs since new. Would i benefit much changing? I stll think my brightness is great...

Hi Gianni
If you want to keep your PJ for several years, IMHO, I would buy a new lamp (the original at B&H or the one that is recommended here). As the lamp comes with a 3 month warranty, I would put the new lamp and keep the old one as spare.
Fernando

·
Registered
23 Posts
Would it be normal to be experiencing difficulty in focusing. I don't know if the age of the lamp affects focus. Unsure if its my eyes, but just can't seem to get accurate focus.

Are there any specific test images for focus avaiable online? Or will any movie do?

·
Registered
139 Posts
I focus mine by counting clicks. First I get it where I think it's best, then count button presses until I see it first getting blurry. Then go the other way and set it midway.
Vince

·
Registered
16,188 Posts
The supplied focus screen central area is actually pretty good.

It is best to walk up to the screen so the display is just a foot or two from you eyes. Get it reasonably in focus and the by tapping the buttons, rather than holding them ,you can move in nice small increments. Tap, tap, tap. There are four squares of line pairs. Two sets of horizontal stripes and two of vertical. Try to focus so all four are sharp and crisp.

Reactions: compaddict

·
Oh ya I'm a Member
185 Posts
You might check out Projector Lamp Experts Platinum bulb. I've used a couple of them and had over 3,000 hours on the current one and it's still going strong.

Vince

I just picked one up... 394 Canadian pesos though
11000 hours has me intrigued

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was wondering about the various picture modes, I've been using cinema 2 for quite a while i find generally ok, I have a lumagen mini the picture has been calibrated.

What's the popular choice amongst the users here?

I have to wonder if I should really be using rec709 as I mainly use this pj for bluray movies only?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I was wondering about the various picture modes, I've been using cinema 2 for quite a while i find generally ok, I have a lumagen mini the picture has been calibrated.

What's the popular choice amongst the users here?

I have to wonder if I should really be using rec709 as I mainly use this pj for bluray movies only?
I use rec709 with settings I got from a projector review on sound and vision (I think) and I like how it looks. I am 11' back on a 117" Seymour UF screen.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My unit has always had a convergence issue, but I neglected to send it back under warranty. It got slightly worse with time and I would like to take it apart to see if it's user adjustable, I found the service manual but it doesn't mention the option. Has anyone tried adjusting the convergence himself?

As a extra, has anyone managed to make their unit quieter?

·
Registered
16,188 Posts
My unit has always had a convergence issue, but I neglected to send it back under warranty. It got slightly worse with time and I would like to take it apart to see if it's user adjustable, I found the service manual but it doesn't mention the option. Has anyone tried adjusting the convergence himself?
As I understand it the R, G, and B panels are effectively "glued" together and hence are not individually adjustable, unlike on some pjs, even by a top level technician. All they can do is replace the entire optical block.

Note: There's an optical lens error called "chromatic aberration" which closely resembles panel mis-convergence to the user.

I photographed it once for one of my Pannies, posted it in this forum, and I discovered it varied greatly based on the amount of horizontal and vertical lens shift used. [The more shift the more error.]

·
Registered
3 Posts
That's a bummer, I would rather spend money on a new projector than replacing the optical block. Here is what mine looks like with zero lens shift:

I might open it up still just to have some fun with it.

·
Registered
16,188 Posts
That's a bummer, I would rather spend money on a new projector than replacing the optical block. Here is what mine looks like with zero lens shift

I might open it up still just to have some fun with it.
Yes, that looks bad. Sorry. :(

Not sure but the amount of zoom used might come into play if it is optically based.

Good luck.

·
Registered
16,188 Posts
Your error does seem to be panel alignment though. I think chromatic aberration error is always in a straight line whereas your error is a zig zag.

5961 - 5980 of 6101 Posts