AVS Forum banner

6001 - 6020 of 6056 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I will look into this as well.

It's just odd behavior as between my friend and I we have 20+ years of electronics retail experience and have never seen a projector just "turn off" for a few seconds. In those stores a projector will run 12 hours a day 7 days a week. It is puzzling. Didn't happen to us at all last night while watching a movie and playing some video games.
I can't seem to reply to a PM from @st2006 regarding this issue I'd been experiencing as the page just hangs and dies so I''m posting my reply here and hope it doesn't get lost.

Wow, I had forgotten about that issue. Off the top of my head I don't recall doing anything that corrected it. I think it just went away and we didn't really notice because there was no longer a problem. I'll check with my buddy tonight if he recalls.

What is your source connection to your ProJo? We were running an Onkyo receiver with an Intel graphics based HTPC and a XBox One all through HDMI.

Now typing out this reply and re-checking the date of my last post on this it was in Nov 2017 and in late Dec 2017 the Onkyo was upgraded to a Yamaha Atmos receiver and since then we've never had the drop-out issue. It might have been the Onkyo intermittently dropping signal through the active 50' HDMI cable to the projector. Honestly just spit balling but the timing lines up. I'll talk to my buddy tonight and let you know what he remembers but I'd look into your connection as a possible issue.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't seem to reply to a PM from @st2006 regarding this issue I'd been experiencing as the page just hangs and dies so I''m posting my reply here and hope it doesn't get lost.

Wow, I had forgotten about that issue. Off the top of my head I don't recall doing anything that corrected it. I think it just went away and we didn't really notice because there was no longer a problem. I'll check with my buddy tonight if he recalls.

What is your source connection to your ProJo? We were running an Onkyo receiver with an Intel graphics based HTPC and a XBox One all through HDMI.

Now typing out this reply and re-checking the date of my last post on this it was in Nov 2017 and in late Dec 2017 the Onkyo was upgraded to a Yamaha Atmos receiver and since then we've never had the drop-out issue. It might have been the Onkyo intermittently dropping signal through the active 50' HDMI cable to the projector. Honestly just spit balling but the timing lines up. I'll talk to my buddy tonight and let you know what he remembers but I'd look into your connection as a possible issue.
Thank you for checking. I did receive a PM from you but it was blank :)

My setup is a Denon x4200 with a 25 ft HDMI cable. Only the video drops and not audio and it happens roughly every 30 mins. As you know there is a lot of investigation to be done to narrow down the failing component so I was wondering if you have any pointers. Will wait until you talk to your buddy. Appreciate your time.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Thank you for checking. I did receive a PM from you but it was blank :)

My setup is a Denon x4200 with a 25 ft HDMI cable. Only the video drops and not audio and it happens roughly every 30 mins. As you know there is a lot of investigation to be done to narrow down the failing component so I was wondering if you have any pointers. Will wait until you talk to your buddy. Appreciate your time.
Going back to what was jogged in my memory writing my previous reply I think it really was the switch to the Yamaha receiver. If you aren't currently using an active HDMI cable I would try that first. The issue here was the same, just video drop-out. It was with the active cable as well but going by the dates it all falls in line with changing the receiver.

That's 2 years ago now and I can't recall the last time we had a video drop-out to the point I'd even forgotten it had been an issue.

Maybe try a different receiver if it's currently doing this every 30 minutes or so. See which retailer has a good return policy!

I'll still talk to my buddy later and see if he can remember anything different. Hope you are able to figure it out.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello.

Yesterday i opened my pt-at6000e to remove dust in general and on fans and LCD`s by following a guide I found in another thread (can`t link right now).

It worked flawlessly! Its more silent than before after cleaning the fans and one of the TEMP sensors (there are 3 but only 1 could be localized easy). And the dust on the LCD`s are completely gone and now it seems like the picture is a great deal brighter - perfect.

But.. I have other issues now.

The LENS SHIFT won`t lock anymore - it simply wont lock the picture. Something must have gone loose I think?

- Since the lens shift in normal operation is a bit tight moving around I was able to position it the right place without locking it. But it would be nice to get it to work again.

Last thing.. the picture is not completely “square” anymore - it does not fit the screen in other words. Now what could cause this?

Regards René

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Hello.

Yesterday i opened my pt-at6000e to remove dust in general and on fans and LCD`s by following a guide I found in another thread (can`t link right now).

It worked flawlessly! Its more silent than before after cleaning the fans and one of the TEMP sensors (there are 3 but only 1 could be localized easy). And the dust on the LCD`s are completely gone and now it seems like the picture is a great deal brighter - perfect.

But.. I have other issues now.

The LENS SHIFT won`t lock anymore - it simply wont lock the picture. Something must have gone loose I think?

- Since the lens shift in normal operation is a bit tight moving around I was able to position it the right place without locking it. But it would be nice to get it to work again.

Last thing.. the picture is not completely “square” anymore - it does not fit the screen in other words. Now what could cause this?

Regards René
I assume by "Lens Shift wont lock anymore".. that you are referring to the simple threaded end of the Lens positioning joystick? If you tighten it too hard, I believe you could strip what I assume to be the plastic threads of the simple locking mechanism... is that what you are referring too? Can you not tighten it in place after adjusting your joystick anymore? And obviously after cleaning your projector, it most likely is just not perfectly "square" to your screen now... skewed and not parallel ...and it may not be level .. both in left/ right axis and up and down axis. And make sure that there any menu setting of keystone is at the default.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I assume by "Lens Shift wont lock anymore".. that you are referring to the simple threaded end of the Lens positioning joystick? If you tighten it too hard, I believe you could strip what I assume to be the plastic threads of the simple locking mechanism... is that what you are referring too? Can you not tighten it in place after adjusting your joystick anymore? And obviously after cleaning your projector, it most likely is just not perfectly "square" to your screen now... skewed and not parallel ...and it may not be level .. both in left/ right axis and up and down axis. And make sure that there any menu setting of keystone is at the default.
Yes the joystick won`t lock when turning it clockwise. It can`t tighted it, exactly. Skewed and not parallel, yes.

Maybe it should have been loosen before working on the PJ?

I do have a theory on the “skewed and not parallel picture”:

- I might have been holding the PJ so that the physical lens touched the working table with a little pressure, and that got it skewed.... is that possible?

I have the service manual, but disassembling the PCB board, to get down to the back of the joystick, is way over my head. And I don`t know how to get it lined up correctly anyway.

I don`t use keystone.

The picture ALMOST fit the screen, but is skewed ... i need to turn the PJ on today (it`s morning in Denmark right now) to get a good look at it again.

It would be nice to get some clues how to correct this, if possible, without opening the PJ.

Regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Can anyone tell me why every time I turn the volume up or down the aspect ratio changes from 2:35 1 to 16:9 and stays there for about 15 sec then goes back to 2:35 1. It just started doing it. Had the projector 5 yrs and it’s never done that until now.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The projector decides to zoom to 2:35:1 when it sees solid (near) black bars at the top and bottom of the image. It switches back when it no longer sees those black-ish bars.

When you change volume, your AVR (probably) is displaying the current volume on-screen, probably at the bottom. That means that you no longer have the solid noir-bars, so it switches back to 16x9. When the volume display disappears, the projector again realizes you are watching a scope presentation and zooms in again.

Did you recently change AVRs (or whatever is displaying the volume on screen)? Or change a setting, like where the volume OSD is placed?

Mike

·
Registered
3 Posts
My Panasonic AE8000U projector goes into power down mode on its own. It has happened anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. There are no indicators before it starts shutting down. No issues with the bulb, has less than a 1,000 hours.

Once cooled off I can turn it back on. Anyone experience a similar problem with your projector turning off on its own with no indicators?

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
My Panasonic AE8000U projector goes into power down mode on its own. It has happened anywhere from 30 minutes to 3 hours. There are no indicators before it starts shutting down. No issues with the bulb, has less than a 1,000 hours.

Once cooled off I can turn it back on. Anyone experience a similar problem with your projector turning off on its own with no indicators?
The LEDs have different colors and their particular flash pattern can be used as a diagnostic, plus when you can successfully get an image out of it there are ways to get to the service menu, discussed in this thread but I can't remember how off the top of my head, to check on things like the internal cooling fans' status and temperature checks.

Are you cleaning the filters regularly as the manual states is necessary?

Good luck.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The LEDs have different colors and their particular flash pattern can be used as a diagnostic, plus when you can successfully get an image out of it there are ways to get to the service menu, discussed in this thread but I can't remember how off the top of my head, to check on things like the internal cooling fans' status and temperature checks.

Are you cleaning the filters regularly as the manual states is necessary?

Good luck.
Ty for the reply. Yes, cleaning regularly. Pretty OCD about that.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I believe you can get your service manual here:

and get into service mode (Extend mode is what Panasonic calls it) and hopefully see what is at fault.

Ty. I think I figured it out. The service menu was showing everything ok. However, there was a similar thread regarding turning Viera link off as the projector may be interpreting some other voltage or signal as a power off event. Since I made the change, no random shut offs. Only been 1.5 days but promising so far.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve been told with mine few posts back up it could be the lcd assembly that needs replacing. The question is do I pay to get it fixed or upgrade to something else?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I’ve had this projector since 2015 and it’s always had this. I’ve never noticed it unless it’s on the blue screen when no source output is detected.

It’s predominantly on the left of the screen but a tiny bit on the right hand corner as wel

This issue has gotten a lot worse now and I’ve been told it could be the lcd assembly that needs replacing as worst case scenario.

To be sure it will still cost a few hundered dollars.

The question is do I pay to get it fixed or upgrade to something else?

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
You could pay a good chunk of money for a non-refundable diagnostic estimate (although it is often applied to the repair price should you elect to proceed), or take mine right now for free: it will need the optical block replaced and that will cost a bare minimum ~$600-$750 plus your time and expense to ship the unit to them. Once the work is done you will have a 90 day warranty for the work that was done only, not the lamp nor any other aspect of the pj gets this 90 day protection.

Worth it? Hmm, I'd tend to say no since prices on pjs like this have come down substantially since you bought yours, aren't that far off in price now from the probable repair cost, plus you get the latest technologies, a new lamp, and a new warranty if you buy a new one.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I’m ready to sell mine with a brand new OEM lamp and several pairs of OEM Panasonic 3D glasses 6 or 8 pair...need to check.

Any idea what it’s worth?

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
The new lamp is worth about $350 to $400 US. The glasses are probably worth almost nothing (home 3D seems to have died, yet again). If the projector is in good shape, it could save someone having to pay for a service call, so I would suggest the whole package is worth between $750 and $800 US, depending on condition, number of hours, etc.

Mike

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I’m ready to sell mine with a brand new OEM lamp and several pairs of OEM Panasonic 3D glasses 6 or 8 pair...need to check.

Any idea what it’s worth?
Is the lamp a spare or already installed? If you can show a photo of the OEM lamp box to prove that it is legit, then that definitely helps your projector's value..... at least for me it would. As there are lots of sellers "saying" they have an OEM lamp just recently installed, but actually don't. Good luck with your sale, these are great projectors yet!

·
Registered
128 Posts
Also having convergence problems, has a solution been found yet?

My unit has always had a convergence issue, but I neglected to send it back under warranty. It got slightly worse with time and I would like to take it apart to see if it's user adjustable, I found the service manual but it doesn't mention the option. Has anyone tried adjusting the convergence himself?

Did you have a go at trying to resolve the convergence issue?
With the whole Corona virus I have some spare time and finally decided to try to tackle my convergence problem. I've been reading through most of the thread but found nothing that gives me hope this is an issue I can resolve myself. :(

I added some pictures I took of test patterns I found through this forum. As you can see my Red is off to below/right side, however, strangely enough I also seem to have issues with displaying green. :frown:

I suppose replacing the lamp won't solve the issue? Is there another spare item I can try to buy to replace and fix the issue? I'd really appreciate the help because I love this PJ on my CIH 2.35 screen.

Attachments

6001 - 6020 of 6056 Posts