AVS Forum banner

6021 - 6040 of 6056 Posts

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
Did you have a go at trying to resolve the convergence issue?
With the whole Corona virus I have some spare time and finally decided to try to tackle my convergence problem. I've been reading through most of the thread but found nothing that gives me hope this is an issue I can resolve myself. :(

I added some pictures I took of test patterns I found through this forum. As you can see my Red is off to below/right side, however, strangely enough I also seem to have issues with displaying green. :frown:

I suppose replacing the lamp won't solve the issue? Is there another spare item I can try to buy to replace and fix the issue? I'd really appreciate the help because I love this PJ on my CIH 2.35 screen.
I don't think your issue is R,G,B LCD panel misalignment, I think it is optical lens chromatic aberration from the lens shift feature:

The problem is greatest the farther off axis to the center of the image you project from but the zoom setting may also come into play.
I once showed images in this or a related thread which demonstrated how it varied if I projected from the left side of the room vs the right. I'll look for them in a moment.

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
I don't think your issue is R,G,B LCD panel misalignment, I think it is optical lens chromatic aberration from the lens shift feature. . .
The problem is greatest the farther off axis to the center of the image you project from but the zoom setting may also come into play.
I once showed images in this or a related thread which demonstrated how it varied if I projected from the left side of the room vs the right. I'll look for them in a moment.
Here they are:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I don't think your issue is R,G,B LCD panel misalignment, I think it is optical lens chromatic aberration from the lens shift feature:
I don't know man.... his examples are pretty bad... I think there has to be some misalignment going on...While, I don't doubt chromatic aberration can have an effect. Of course it should be easy enough to temporarily center the lens and see what he gets..

·
Registered
128 Posts

Thanks Mr. Zillch. I had read your post earlier when troubleshooting the problem, however, the misalignment is diagonal and rather big in comparison to the examples you provided. That being sead, I'll reset the lens shift to none, and give it another go.

Also, I noticed that scenes with deep blacks are no longer pitch black, but have a greenish hue. I added a picture to illustrate. Luckily it's not as bad as the picture, but still quite visible :( the PJ is at 2320hours (eco mode))

I'm really looking for a solution -if any- since I don't want to replace this otherwise great PJ

Attachments

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
Thanks Mr. Zillch. I had read your post earlier when troubleshooting the problem, however, the misalignment is diagonal and rather big in comparison to the examples you provided. That being sead, I'll reset the lens shift to none, and give it another go.
When you do please post images of the word "Focus" from the focus/zoom setting page. The advantage of that test pattern is we all own it so we all know exactly how large the color fringing disturbance you are posting is, whereas when you use other patterns not all of us may be familiar with the pattern so we don't have a sense if the letters take up half the screen height vs. 100th the screen height (or somewhere in between).

Reactions: Q8472

·
Registered
128 Posts
When you do please post images of the word "Focus" from the focus/zoom setting page. The advantage of that test pattern is we all own it so we all know exactly how large the color fringing disturbance you are posting is, whereas when you use other patterns not all of us may be familiar with the pattern so we don't have a sense if the letters take up half the screen height vs. 100th the screen height (or somewhere in between).
Well, it sure isn't chromatic aberration.
Just spent a lot of time realining the lens shift, so pictures will be for tomorrow, but there's no real difference with the lens at dead center or aligned to my screen.
What's worse the 'green hue' is really starting to bother me in dark scenes.

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
What's worse the 'green hue' is really starting to bother me in dark scenes.
You might have partial correction of the color balance error in the advanced menu controls for green brightness and contrast. Not sure.

Color fringing due to LCD panel misalignment can not be corrected. As I understand it Panasonic in recent years glues them all together as a solid block {so I have no idea why they'd drift}. When sent into service they usually just "replace the optical block". Its like replacing a car engine. A huge deal which is not easy and cheap. Sorry.:(

·
Registered
128 Posts

So as I expected, setting lensshift back to 0 did not make a big difference. There is however, a very small improvement, but nothing that makes that much of a difference.

As requested I added the 'focus' pictures with and without lensshift (LS).

Any idea what a new optical block would cost? (ballpark-wise)

Attachments

·
Registered
22 Posts
My pana is still running strong, 3371hrs on original globe, lost some brightness, but still great output on this projector.

Never had my focus that far out.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
Any idea what a new optical block would cost? (ballpark-wise)
Thanks for the image. Yes, it looks bad and nothing you can easily fix, sorry.:(

My estimate based on reading previous posts is ~$600-$750 for parts, labor, and shipping the unit back to you, with a 90-day warranty on their work done (only, not the bulb or anything else) . You pay for shipping to them. Personally I'd be thinking about buying a new pj.

Are you the original owner and did this just happen one day or did it gradually get worse and worse?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Thanks for the image. Yes, it looks bad and nothing you can easily fix, sorry.:(

My estimate based on reading previous posts is ~$600-$750 for parts, labor, and shipping the unit back to you, with a 90-day warranty on their work done (only, not the bulb or anything else) . You pay for shipping to them. Personally I'd be thinking about buying a new pj.

Are you the original owner and did this just happen one day or did it gradually get worse and worse?

Auch... I am the original owner. It gradually got worse and worse :(

About a new PJ, I bought this one because of the lens shift and lens memory (16/9 - scope), since it's installed in dedicated HT with CIH scope screen... So any replacement should also have this :/

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
Auch... I am the original owner. It gradually got worse and worse :(

About a new PJ, I bought this one because of the lens shift and lens memory (16/9 - scope), since it's installed in dedicated HT with CIH scope screen... So any replacement should also have this :/
I don't know anything about what else is out there, sorry.
---

There are other "green tint issue" posts, BTW. Example: https://www.avsforum.com/forum/24-d...6000e-european-version-1178.html#post57405644

·
Registered
1,348 Posts

Also, I noticed that scenes with deep blacks are no longer pitch black, but have a greenish hue. I added a picture to illustrate. Luckily it's not as bad as the picture, but still quite visible :( the PJ is at 2320hours (eco mode))

I'm really looking for a solution -if any- since I don't want to replace this otherwise great PJ

This is likely caused not by any kind of lcd panel misaligned ( because they usually don’t move), but because of a degradation (burning) of the color filters that sit behind each LCD panel and the convergence prism.

I know this is a good projector, but lately I’ve seen used JVC X500 going for about 600$ or 700$. It’s much better than fixing this one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
The main color filter is physically removed from the light path with a motor (and if you listen carefully you can hear it in action) when selecting the picture modes:Cinema 2, Game, Normal, and Dynamic.

You can hear the filter being reinserted into the light path for :Cinema 1, REC709, D-Cinema, and Cinema 1

If the color fringing is related to that part you'd see it switching between those two groups.
---

Seeing if the color fringing changes direction based on focus and zoom setting may help determine if the problem is in the lens optics.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The main color filter is physically removed from the light path with a motor (and if you listen carefully you can hear it in action) when selecting the picture modes:Cinema 2, Game, Normal, and Dynamic.

You can hear the filter being reinserted into the light path for :Cinema 1, REC709, D-Cinema, and Cinema 1

If the color fringing is related to that part you'd see it switching between those two groups.
---

Seeing if the color fringing changes direction based on focus and zoom setting may help determine if the problem is in the lens optics.

No, that’s not the filter I’m talking about. The filter you’re referring to is the same they call “cinema filter” in Epson projectors, and it’s basically a UV/IR filter, which is too far from the LCD panels to cause the kind of problem we’re discussing. The filters I am referring to are 3 polarizer filters that sit between the LCD panels and the convergence prism (the last element before the front lens); also not the same polarizer filters that sit before the LCD panels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
No, that’s not the filter I’m talking about. The filter you’re referring to is the same they call “cinema filter” in Epson projectors, and it’s basically a UV/IR filter,
The color filter I was discussing is seen here at 1m22s

https://youtu.be/Msju4hOmxMI?t=82

I'd agree it is not likely the color fringing problem culprit.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
The color filter I was discussing is seen here at 1m22s

https://youtu.be/Msju4hOmxMI?t=82

I'd agree it is not likely the color fringing problem culprit.
I believe the OP's issue is this one:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-d...me-cinema-8100-color-convergence-problem.html

Not because of the convergence problem, but because of the green hue all over the image. In my view, the convergence issue is a secondary effect of this problem, and most times visible by a separation of the green color (which causes green + magenta separation), except in the OP's case the 3 colors became separated.

Unless the OP is very skilled and somewhat lucky, this isn't worth repairing.

·
Registered
128 Posts
This is likely caused not by any kind of lcd panel misaligned ( because they usually don’t move), but because of a degradation (burning) of the color filters that sit behind each LCD panel and the convergence prism.

I know this is a good projector, but lately I’ve seen used JVC X500 going for about 600$ or 700$. It’s much better than fixing this one.

Thanks, unfortunately the X500 seems to be laggy and I game on it about 50-60% of the time :/

I believe the OP's issue is this one:

https://www.avsforum.com/forum/68-d...me-cinema-8100-color-convergence-problem.html

Not because of the convergence problem, but because of the green hue all over the image. In my view, the convergence issue is a secondary effect of this problem, and most times visible by a separation of the green color (which causes green + magenta separation), except in the OP's case the 3 colors became separated.

Unless the OP is very skilled and somewhat lucky, this isn't worth repairing.

Great link and massive respect for this guy's solution!
Although I considder myself to be handy enough, I lack the courage to undertake this quest as I fear too many things can go south on me and I'd probably end up worse than I started.

Guess I'll better start saving up :(

·
Registered
909 Posts
So last night I was playing Ghost of Tsushima for like 3 hours and all was fine on my projector.

Today my son was playing Mario Odyssey and I went down there and it looked fine. Then I went down like 20 minutes later and there was a yellow line across the entire screen. I switched inputs and it was still showing on the other inputs, so it wasn't the Switch. I then took out the HDMI cable and I could still see the yellow line as the screen flashed and showed the inputs. I could see it in the non-black part of the screen where the yellow line was going through, so it wasn't the HDMI cable.

I also tried the different picture modes as this was in gaming mode, and all modes had it on there.

I then shut it off for like 3 hours and turned it back on and it was still there. But then like a minute later, the yellow line was gone. I played Ghost of Tsushima for like 15 minutes and then I saw the line show up again for like 2 seconds, then it was gone again. I played for like 2 more hours and didn't see it again.

Anyone have any clue what this issue could be? Here is a picture of it when it was there the whole time my son was playing Mario Odyssey.

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
I don't recommend home repairs on pjs because none of us own clean rooms and any dust getting inside can be a disaster..

That said, I'd suspect a ribbon wire connection to one of the LCD panels is loose, or has dirt on one of the pins, etc., and needs to be cleaned/re-seated.

I'm no technician though.

6021 - 6040 of 6056 Posts