AVS Forum banner

6041 - 6056 of 6056 Posts

·
Registered
909 Posts
Yeah my googling seemed to result in a lot of different projectors having issues similar and it sounds like some ribbon cables were cleaned and repositioned. But it seems like that fixed I'd say like 75% of the ones I was reading about versus all of them. I like to tinker and have put together arcade games and recapped CRT monitors but none of those are nearly as expensive as a projector nor as tightly put together. I have replaced screens and batteries on iPhones though so I am familiar with smaller/tighter put together electronics.

Is there a good teardown article or video of this projector?

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
It's strange because it's happening very randomly. I had it on for hours yesterday and no yellow line at all.
Loose connections act that way. Perfect performance one day and sketchy the next.

Reactions: purbeast

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
Okay I will have to see if there is a teardown video of this before I decide to take it apart.
My reservation against doing it myself would be that when you open it up you defeat its "filtered air only may intrude" system and you could get stubborn, hard to correct dust particles settling on important surfaces. This causes visible "dust blobs": faint, blurry, color blotches appearing on all black images such as end credits in movies.

·
Registered
909 Posts
My reservation against doing it myself would be that when you open it up you defeat its "filtered air only may intrude" system and you could get stubborn, hard to correct dust particles settling on important surfaces. This causes visible "dust blobs": faint, blurry, color blotches appearing on all black images such as end credits in movies.
Yeah I didn't even think about that or know that was a thing.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yeah I didn't even think about that or know that was a thing.
If you're talking about opening the projector just to disconnect and reconnect the LCD ribbon cables, there is nearly no risk of getting dust on the LCD panels, because for this operation you don't need to remove the main board, which means the LCD panels (or the optical engine) will not be exposed.

·
Registered
909 Posts
If you're talking about opening the projector just to disconnect and reconnect the LCD ribbon cables, there is nearly no risk of getting dust on the LCD panels, because for this operation you don't need to remove the main board, which means the LCD panels (or the optical engine) will not be exposed.
Yeah that is all I was looking to do just based off of what people have said here and through google searches, that reseating the ribbon cables could fix this problem.

I still haven't searched on a teardown video yet but will do so if I attempt this. I just haven't had any time and haven't been using the projector too much since our son was born so it's kind of hit the back burner.

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
Yeah that is all I was looking to do just based off of what people have said here and through google searches, that reseating the ribbon cables could fix this problem.

I still haven't searched on a teardown video yet but will do so if I attempt this. I just haven't had any time and haven't been using the projector too much since our son was born so it's kind of hit the back burner.
Here’s the service manual, including disassembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
What is the closest throw distance for 138 inch 2.39:1 screen. The calculator is confusing to my total noob to projectors self.
The optimal spot for the projector in my room is 13 feet from the screen. If I’m reading correctly 94 inch screen would be the biggest I could put in the room if that’s the case.
I’m hoping this is just Panasonic giving some sort of optimum viewing distance guidelines. Are my dreams about to to go up in smoke?
The next spot in the room would be after I-beam and ductwork and would have to hang down significantly into the room.
thanks!

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
What is the closest throw distance for 138 inch 2.39:1 screen. The calculator is confusing to my total noob to projectors self.
The optimal spot for the projector in my room is 13 feet from the screen. If I’m reading correctly 94 inch screen would be the biggest I could put in the room if that’s the case.
I’m hoping this is just Panasonic giving some sort of optimum viewing distance guidelines. Are my dreams about to to go up in smoke?
The next spot in the room would be after I-beam and ductwork and would have to hang down significantly into the room.
thanks!
I had to punch a hole through a wall that was 15 feet away to get enough distance for my 136" 2.35:1 screen. Do what it takes to get enough distance. Big screen > Easy installation.

Do you already have this projector? There are much better options in 2020 for projectors, even used. I'd strongly suggest a JVC RS400/420/440/500/520/540/600/620/640 (the first one will probably be cheapest, stick to the x20's or better if the price difference is small). The image will be significantly better and support 4K.

In 2013 I compared a Panasonic AE8000 to a JVC RS46, and I chose JVC...and that was 7 years ago.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I had to punch a hole through a wall that was 15 feet away to get enough distance for my 136" 2.35:1 screen. Do what it takes to get enough distance. Big screen > Easy installation.

Do you already have this projector? There are much better options in 2020 for projectors, even used. I'd strongly suggest a JVC RS400/420/440/500/520/540/600/620/640 (the first one will probably be cheapest, stick to the x20's or better if the price difference is small). The image will be significantly better and support 4K.

In 2013 I compared a Panasonic AE8000 to a JVC RS46, and I chose JVC...and that was 7 years ago.
Yes, I’ve had it almost three years and never taken it out of the box. I had just purchased it and got diagnosed with some health problems and it went to the back burner. Feeling much better now and hate for it to just go to waste so I would like to at least use it for a year or two. I’ve only ever had a TV, currently have a Mitsubishi 73 inch DLP so this will be a big step up. When I do upgrade to 4K is the throw distance better? Because I thought of an idea that I could put it like 22 feet away from the screen in the meantime.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Yes, I’ve had it almost three years and never taken it out of the box. I had just purchased it and got diagnosed with some health problems and it went to the back burner. Feeling much better now and hate for it to just go to waste so I would like to at least use it for a year or two. I’ve only ever had a TV, currently have a Mitsubishi 73 inch DLP so this will be a big step up. When I do upgrade to 4K is the throw distance better? Because I thought of an idea that I could put it like 22 feet away from the screen in the meantime.
I am glad you are feeling better. If it is still sealed in the box, I might explore the idea of selling it. Since it really is brand new and they sink make them anymore you might get a premium for it. More than you will used, for sure. Then using those funds to purchase a good used 4K projector from the classifieds on here.

The throw distance really depends on the projector itself. You kind of want to be somewhere in the middle of the range if you can, closer is better than further (brighter) but you don’t want be so close that it rules out other brands because you’re too close for them.

The front of my projector is a smidge about 15 feet away and it is the fourth one I was able to use in that spot.

Use the projection throw calculator to calculate out the distance for other projectors, like a JVC RS400 or JVC NX5, for example.

I don’t know if those calculators will understand the 2.35:1 screens so you probably need to pretend it’s same width a 1.78:1/16x9 screen for measurements. If I recall correctly, I used 144” 16x9 because that has the same screen width as my 136” 2.35:1.

Please don’t just throw away my suggestions at looking at other projector options. Before you open up the box and take the projector out, I would at least look into it, it’ll save you money in the long run if you can get a price premium for your current projector and can find a good deal on a 4K one.

The AE8000 is a good projector, it just has no future, 4K is 4 years old now.

·
Registered
15,958 Posts
1080p is still alive and well in my house too. I think it covers, what, maybe 99% (?) of available content I'd guess.

6041 - 6056 of 6056 Posts