AVS Forum banner

6041 - 6049 of 6049 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Yeah my googling seemed to result in a lot of different projectors having issues similar and it sounds like some ribbon cables were cleaned and repositioned. But it seems like that fixed I'd say like 75% of the ones I was reading about versus all of them. I like to tinker and have put together arcade games and recapped CRT monitors but none of those are nearly as expensive as a projector nor as tightly put together. I have replaced screens and batteries on iPhones though so I am familiar with smaller/tighter put together electronics.

Is there a good teardown article or video of this projector?

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
It's strange because it's happening very randomly. I had it on for hours yesterday and no yellow line at all.
Loose connections act that way. Perfect performance one day and sketchy the next.

Reactions: purbeast

·
Registered
15,936 Posts
Okay I will have to see if there is a teardown video of this before I decide to take it apart.
My reservation against doing it myself would be that when you open it up you defeat its "filtered air only may intrude" system and you could get stubborn, hard to correct dust particles settling on important surfaces. This causes visible "dust blobs": faint, blurry, color blotches appearing on all black images such as end credits in movies.

·
Registered
905 Posts
My reservation against doing it myself would be that when you open it up you defeat its "filtered air only may intrude" system and you could get stubborn, hard to correct dust particles settling on important surfaces. This causes visible "dust blobs": faint, blurry, color blotches appearing on all black images such as end credits in movies.
Yeah I didn't even think about that or know that was a thing.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yeah I didn't even think about that or know that was a thing.
If you're talking about opening the projector just to disconnect and reconnect the LCD ribbon cables, there is nearly no risk of getting dust on the LCD panels, because for this operation you don't need to remove the main board, which means the LCD panels (or the optical engine) will not be exposed.

·
Registered
905 Posts
If you're talking about opening the projector just to disconnect and reconnect the LCD ribbon cables, there is nearly no risk of getting dust on the LCD panels, because for this operation you don't need to remove the main board, which means the LCD panels (or the optical engine) will not be exposed.
Yeah that is all I was looking to do just based off of what people have said here and through google searches, that reseating the ribbon cables could fix this problem.

I still haven't searched on a teardown video yet but will do so if I attempt this. I just haven't had any time and haven't been using the projector too much since our son was born so it's kind of hit the back burner.

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Yeah that is all I was looking to do just based off of what people have said here and through google searches, that reseating the ribbon cables could fix this problem.

I still haven't searched on a teardown video yet but will do so if I attempt this. I just haven't had any time and haven't been using the projector too much since our son was born so it's kind of hit the back burner.
Here’s the service manual, including disassembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6041 - 6049 of 6049 Posts