AVS Forum banner

2221 - 2240 of 2354 Posts

·
Registered
433 Posts
Just got one of these after my LX500 was deemed non repairable. Lucky the LX500 was still under warranty and my dealer supplied the UB9000 to me. Played a few CDs, Blu Rays and 4ks, very impressed so far. Still getting used to the remote which is a little different to the LX 500 - george

Reactions: alebonau and Lesmor

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I haven't really seen an answer to this unless I missed it. How do I get this player to resume play once I stop a disc and turn off the player? I see the instructions tell you to hit "Stop" first, which is fine, but that seems to only work as long as I don't turn the player off. I can only get discs to resume if they have been authored with a resume menu like many of the Universal or Lionsgate discs. For me, if I hit "Stop" and power this unit off and then back on with the Panny remote it will resume, but shutting off with my Harmony Elite at all results in resume not working, even if I "Stop" before shutting off. Any ideas or suggestions?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I haven't really seen an answer to this unless I missed it. How do I get this player to resume play once I stop a disc and turn off the player? I see the instructions tell you to hit "Stop" first, which is fine, but that seems to only work as long as I don't turn the player off. I can only get discs to resume if they have been authored with a resume menu like many of the Universal or Lionsgate discs. For me, if I hit "Stop" and power this unit off and then back on with the Panny remote it will resume, but shutting off with my Harmony Elite at all results in resume not working, even if I "Stop" before shutting off. Any ideas or suggestions?
It will not resume playback of ANY discs -- unless, as you said, Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays have been authored with the "Resume: Yes/No" prompt -- once one is stopped and ejected from the unit. With DVDs, you CAN resume playback once you hit stop once -- but if the disc is ejected, it cannot be resumed.

I absolutely HATE this limitation of this player's processor, but that's part of a laundry list of complaints I have about its quirky, questionable operational behavior/feature set.

In comparison, the Oppos were SO much more user-friendly and catered to the needs of many who desired features like resume playback, aspect ratio control, zooming ability via the remote, source direct output, et al.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Just got one of these after my LX500 was deemed non repairable. Lucky the LX500 was still under warranty and my dealer supplied the UB9000 to me. Played a few CDs, Blu Rays and 4ks, very impressed so far. Still getting used to the remote which is a little different to the LX 500 - george
Hey George,

Good to see you here from the last time we spoke on AVForums; I was sorry to hear about your LX500 needing to be replaced...

·
Registered
433 Posts
Hey George,

Good to see you here from the last time we spoke on AVForums; I was sorry to hear about your LX500 needing to be replaced...
Yes it was a little sad but the LX500 was struggling with some 4K discs one of them being the LOTR 4K set. I just finished Fellowship on the UB9000 which played no problems and the picture from the UB9000 was awesome - george

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
It will not resume playback of ANY discs -- unless, as you said, Blu-rays and 4K Blu-rays have been authored with the "Resume: Yes/No" prompt -- once one is stopped and ejected from the unit. With DVDs, you CAN resume playback once you hit stop once -- but if the disc is ejected, it cannot be resumed.

I absolutely HATE this limitation of this player's processor, but that's part of a laundry list of complaints I have about its quirky, questionable operational behavior/feature set.

In comparison, the Oppos were SO much more user-friendly and catered to the needs of many who desired features like resume playback, aspect ratio control, zooming ability via the remote, source direct output, et al.
Well, that absolutely sucks. Yeah, the Oppos were definitely more user-friendly. Even mi Pio LX500 with its janky UI is more user-friendly. This Panny just wins on PQ. It doesn't even make sense that it has a beast of an analogue section and left out SACD & DVD-A playback. I mean, seriously? Anyway, thanks for the reply. I had a feeling this player was just a no-go on resume play. SMH.

·
Registered
44 Posts
UB9000 is available again.
Any news about sound quality from "new sound processor" as has been announced?
Review comparing old and new one would be interesting.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Well, that absolutely sucks. Yeah, the Oppos were definitely more user-friendly. Even mi Pio LX500 with its janky UI is more user-friendly. This Panny just wins on PQ. It doesn't even make sense that it has a beast of an analogue section and left out SACD & DVD-A playback. I mean, seriously? Anyway, thanks for the reply. I had a feeling this player was just a no-go on resume play. SMH.
No worries; yeah, this unit is built like a brick ****house, that's for sure -- hands down the most premium disc spinner I've ever owned. But the whole thing just falls short in so many areas (especially for what this thing costs), from the lack of resume playback and aspect ratio controls to the undefeatable automatic power-off function after 20 minutes, a stripped-down front panel display that only offers elapsed disc time, unnecessarily complicated menus and setup parameters, no power button LED of any kind and no source direct video output option.

When I bring this up on other forums in the dedicated 9000 threads, I am berated and beat down to the point they want to put my head on the chopping block because I still actually watch DVDs and need certain functions to enjoy non-anamorphic discs...and I'm not even kidding about the level of hatred they have for owners like me who wish this player had these features. They even make fun of me for desiring the resume playback function, which, as evidenced here by our discussion, human beings other than me value.

You're right about the stupid, nonsensical analog section decision with regard to no SACD and DVD-A support; I don't have a need, personally, for a player to support those formats, but I understand many were offput by the fact that Panasonic didn't include it in the specs at this price point. And the fact that they beefed up the analog section without this support makes zero sense IMO, too.

I wanted the LX500 but couldn't get one once the pandemic hit; I know the Pioneer shares the MediaTek processor platform with the Oppo 203/205 and Cambridge Audio CXUHD, and as such includes the myriad of picture controls I was looking for (zooming on the remote, aspect ratio control for 4:3 stretched playback, resume playback, etc.), and it's built more in the likeness of the Oppo 205...but once we needed to move beyond our Cambridge CXUHD because it developed a noisy disc tray area when playing DVDs (and the repair center couldn't fix it), the UB9000 was the ONLY premium option on the market. It was definitely not my first choice, and now we're stuck having to replace many DVDs in our extensive collection with Blu-rays where available because the Panasonic won't play them back the way I prefer (stretched 4:3 discs, properly-adjusted non-anamorphic titles).

Ironically, my 9000 has also developed a noisy disc tray/drive issue wherein as the drawer closes -- with or without a disc in it -- it is making a strange "shudder/bump" sound as if something is caught in the gears. It didn't happen when we first got the player, but now it happens pretty much every time I close the drawer. It doesn't happen when the drawer OPENS -- that remains smooth as silk -- but only when it CLOSES. It's audible from 12 feet away, our seating distance, and clearly audible when you're on top of it.

Nice for $1000, huh?

·
Registered
651 Posts
Is there a subtitle size setting for closed captions placed on blu-ray discs, or does this setting only affect external SRT files, if the setting exists at all?
I've seen reports on this one website (lol) that the UB9000 has a size setting for subtitles, where the UB820 falls short.

Friend looking to purchase the UB9000, he can't be arsed watching movies without subtitles, a shame, really, is what it is.
I also understand whatever settings made to subtitles/closed captions are not saved on power-off, true/false?

25/Jul/2019, Ver 1.60, closing in on two years without any firmware update, this machine really seem need some user-friendly fixes.
Perhaps Panasonic haven't managed to sell enough UB9000 units to warrant firmware updates?
Beyond me, really, any decent manufacturer would stalk about on these forums, looking for complaints, you guys ever wrote them directly?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Is there a subtitle size setting for closed captions placed on blu-ray discs, or does this setting only affect external SRT files, if the setting exists at all?
I've seen reports on this one website (lol) that the UB9000 has a size setting for subtitles, where the UB820 falls short.

Friend looking to purchase the UB9000, he can't be arsed watching movies without subtitles, a shame, really, is what it is.
I also understand whatever settings made to subtitles/closed captions are not saved on power-off, true/false?

25/Jul/2019, Ver 1.60, closing in on two years without any firmware update, this machine really seem need some user-friendly fixes.
Perhaps Panasonic haven't managed to sell enough UB9000 units to warrant firmware updates?
Beyond me, really, any decent manufacturer would stalk about on these forums, looking for complaints, you guys ever wrote them directly?
You can move the subtitles up and down on the screen plus you can adjust how bright they are. Not sure what else you can do. They don't appear to be saved

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
The DP-UB420/820/9000 all share the same firmware, so I'd think there would be enough sales of all 3 combined to warrant an update. While the latest update(v1.60) for the US region players is from July 2019, there is a firmware for the China region players from March 2020(v1.66) which some owners of the 820 have loaded successfully by USB, myself included.

·
Premium Member
807 Posts
Panasonic announced they will relaunch this player in May 2021 with some sound changes. The player was listed as sold out for weeks at BB and a few open box units were for sale in a few regions. The player was just re-listed for sale at BB just a couple of days ago and the units are only available starting in May. I went to BB and no-one was able to tell me if the player that is coming in May is the 2021 Model. I was wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I can tell if it is the new model. I will have mine on May 1st when I go and pick it up.
Where
I heard about this, and from all reports, it's just going to be changes to the internals/audio components; I don't believe there's going to be a way to tell cosmetically if there were any changes made (not that the fascia needs changing anyway, the whole thing is so well-built aside from a scratchy/noisy disc tray on mine).

As for Best Buy not having a clue, that doesn't surprise me; they probably don't even know what a Ultra HD Blu-ray player is at most of these locations...

And I'm not even joking. :rolleyes:

[For the record, I purchased my UB9000 via Best Buy online.]
I've searched the internet and haven't seen any news on this "re-launch" of the DP-UB9000. Where did you two hear/read this news? If this news is true, then this would also mean updated firmwares. Which would be good news for DP-UB420/820/9000 since they all share the same firmware.

·
Registered
433 Posts
In the U.K. forum it was mentioned that the only difference is the DAC and you can tell by the unit reference. One was supplied to me a few weeks ago and it is the previous model. Not an issue as I was the co-ax output for the CD into my Lyngdorf- george

·
Registered
651 Posts
DP-UB9000/UB9004, DP-UB820/UB824, DP-UB420/UB424 Consumer Complaints

I decided to collect all the complaints about Panasonic 4K Ultra HD blu-ray players.
Stacey Spears, Spears & Munsil, will forward the following to Panasonic Corporation.
All complaints will be forwarded to the Chief Engineer of Panasonic's blu-ray player team.

I'm asking owners on this forum, please post your complaint/s in this thread.
I will read/write/update this daily until 05/31/2021, May 31st, 2021.

I have posted this on AVSforum, AVforums and Blu-ray.com.

UPDATE: DOCUMENT COMPLETED!

Attn
. Panasonic Corporation - Consumer Complaints
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1d-sAd9ozPTH5SR190PV4lhT8zsvaEEGoZqSWEkOutSI/

Last Updated: 06/01/2021

Sent to the Chief Engineer of Panasonic's blu-ray player team as of 06/05/2021, June 5th, 2021.
Updates will be posted as soon as they
are available, if they're available.

DP-UB9000 - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/of...-no-price-talk.3040552/page-112#post-60743649
DP-UB820/
824 - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/of...-no-price-talk.2990966/page-474#post-60743875
DP-UB420 - https://www.avsforum.com/threads/pa...r-now-available.3092076/page-50#post-60752005

DP-UB9000 - https://www.avforums.com/threads/pa...r-owners-thread.2152448/page-66#post-29270902
DP-UB820/420 - https://www.avforums.com/threads/pa...-owners-thread.2169164/page-153#post-29271190
DP-UB9000/820 - https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?p=18909413#post18909413

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Where

I've searched the internet and haven't seen any news on this "re-launch" of the DP-UB9000. Where did you two hear/read this news? If this news is true, then this would also mean updated firmwares. Which would be good news for DP-UB420/820/9000 since they all share the same firmware.
According to Panasonic USA chat today:
"I have checked and I am afraid we do not have such an information as far as I checked there was no update for US market."

2221 - 2240 of 2354 Posts