AVS Forum banner
2581 - 2600 of 3413 Posts

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
^ The optical drives are variable speed. Typically they'll run at highest speed when doing bulk loads off the disc -- such as when reading in menus.
--Bob
As always, thanks Bob!

So this "whirring" sound as the player is executing certain behaviors -- menu transitions, etc. -- is definitely normal? Even on high end decks like this?

·
Read the FAQ!
37,262 Posts
^ Yes. Typically you won't hear the high speed during actual feature or music playback -- assuming no problems reading the disc. But there are some unusual disc formats such as AVCHD which may always spin at high speed during playback. For commercial Blu-ray and UHD discs, the disc load time behavior will vary by disc, as menu complexity varies between discs. In addition, some studios have gone to extremes to implement bizarrely complicated playlists in a futile attempt to block disc copying, and those have to be read in. And read in. And read in....
--Bob

·
Registered
6,910 Posts
well I don’t use eBay and not going to replace my player. Thanks.
Keeping in mind implementation of the DAC is just important as the DAC itself... If you mean the new UB9000 ESS DAC model, from my extensive experience with DACs, the AKM chip in the original DP-UB9000 generally produces more pleasing output than the ESS chips in most implementations. In fact I would pay extra to get the old AKM version if that's the only difference and analog audio output mattered to me. Most ESS chip implementations I've heard (including Oppo's) for whatever reason seem to run hot in the highs and have thin mids. AKM implementations are very balanced though the new velvet sound chips are a bit thick sounding compared to the previous gen. Overall for Delta sigma I generally like the sound of the old Burr Brown/TI PCM 1792A or 1795 implementations the best, but those are hard to find these days because their marketing spec sheets aren't impressive for their cost to the manufacturer regardless of how good they sound

On the other hand, if Panasonic made other changes thats a different story but my understanding is that dac is the only difference, and based on past experience if that is the case I would not expect the difference to be for the better

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
^ Yes. Typically you won't hear the high speed during actual feature or music playback -- assuming no problems reading the disc. But there are some unusual disc formats such as AVCHD which may always spin at high speed during playback. For commercial Blu-ray and UHD discs, the disc load time behavior will vary by disc, as menu complexity varies between discs. In addition, some studios have gone to extremes to implement bizarrely complicated playlists in a futile attempt to block disc copying, and those have to be read in. And read in. And read in....
--Bob
Thank you, Bob.

·
Registered
License to Chill
22,252 Posts
Blow me down and call me shorty. Panasonic has issued a new firmware update. I literally stared at it for a few seconds thinking the Panny engineers were playing an April fools joke on me. Lol. New version 1.69

·
Registered
109 Posts
Blow me down and call me shorty. Panasonic has issued a new firmware update. I literally stared at it for a few seconds thinking the Panny engineers were playing an April fools joke on me. Lol. New version 1.69
I just saw this too!!
I'm trying to find some kind of release notes. Anyone know what's in this update?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
I was able to update over Network on both my 9000 and 820 to v1.69 from the “China” v1.66.

I tried Midway on my 9000 and the scenes around the 35-40 min mark that previously froze played without issue.

Knives Out played without issue for me on v1.66 so don’t plan on testing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
I've installed it, but can't see anything obviously different when scrolling through menus.
Do wish that it would not limit peak brightness to 1000 nits when a TV is capable of more.
I've read that it fixed the freezes that occurred on some movies at certain timestamps. They wouldn't have changed menus or anything.

It doesn't limit nits to 1000 unless you enabled HDR Optimizer and set it to 1000. Check your settings.

Reactions: PaperLion

·
Registered
166 Posts
I've installed it, but can't see anything obviously different when scrolling through menus.
Do wish that it would not limit peak brightness to 1000 nits when a TV is capable of more.
HDR Optimizer just basically remaps the EOTF curve to a peak level that matches common display types' avg peak brightness. If you have a display capable of higher peak brightness, you might play with turning HDR Optimizer off. This feature is most useful for displays that give out much less than 1000nits (like many projectors). Most displays that give off more light output than 1000nits are capable of mapping 4000nit content (pretty rare anyway) to a level that matches the display. You may find you like the player doing the mapping or you may not--most likely you will not notice any difference unless you take photos to compare.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I just heard about the firmware update, too -- couldn't believe my own eyes. Never thought we'd get one.

Did anyone happen to have this auto-update for them if you're connected wirelessly? I have to see what happens when I turn the player on later, as we're connected to WiFi...

I wish this update would address some of the things many of us have been complaining about -- the auto-off feature, aspect ratio control, et. al. -- but one miracle at a time, right guys? :rolleyes::eek:

·
Registered
123 Posts
I just got my UB9000. Build quality is amazing. So nice to have a dedicated player, m,ajor upgrade from the XBox Series X / One X. Are there any settings guides, HDR Optimizer, etc?

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I just got my UB9000. Build quality is amazing. So nice to have a dedicated player, m,ajor upgrade from the XBox Series X / One X. Are there any settings guides, HDR Optimizer, etc?
For the most part, like the Oppos, this is a plug-and-play affair with most settings able to be left on Automatic. If you're running an OLED, I suppose you should select "OLED" in HDR TV Type in the advanced setup menu (which pertains to how the HDR Optimizer will work on your display)...

·
Registered
123 Posts
For the most part, like the Oppos, this is a plug-and-play affair with most settings able to be left on Automatic. If you're running an OLED, I suppose you should select "OLED" in HDR TV Type in the advanced setup menu (which pertains to how the HDR Optimizer will work on your display)...
Thanks, I did select "OLED". I wanted an OPPO 203...that was then!

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
You also need to start a movie and enable HDR Optimizer manually thru the options button and a roll down to video pop up menu. The setting within the main menus doesn't enable it, it's just the target.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
I just heard about the firmware update, too -- couldn't believe my own eyes. Never thought we'd get one.

Did anyone happen to have this auto-update for them if you're connected wirelessly? I have to see what happens when I turn the player on later, as we're connected to WiFi...

I wish this update would address some of the things many of us have been complaining about -- the auto-off feature, aspect ratio control, et. al. -- but one miracle at a time, right guys? :rolleyes::eek:
Same here. Couldn’t believe my 👀’s. Updated with no issues.

·
Registered
453 Posts
It’s good to see Panasonic is still supporting these players with updates.

Reactions: Tsender

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
I too wanted a 203 -- was my absolute FIRST choice for a UHD BD player. Unfortunately, by the time we were ready to buy, they had stopped production and we weren't going to pay the prices for what used ones were going for. We got the next best thing at the time, the Cambridge Audio CXUHD (which was a clone of the 203 without the analog outputs), but this unit developed a weird "ticking" noise around the disc drive/tray area ONLY when playing DVDs, and the repair center was never able to fix it even after sending it back three times.

We put the Cambridge into storage as a backup player and ordered the only premium, well-built player that was available on the market, the UB9000.

*You should turn on the HDR Optimizer, as PBZ said, when a 4K disc is playing -- forgot to mention that.

2581 - 2600 of 3413 Posts