AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 1569 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'm thinking of replacing a Sony X1000ES with the Panny 9000. Aside from the 9000 playing DV formats, I'm primarily interested in how the upscaling from standard definition DVDs compares.

If anyone has comments on this difference, I'd like to hear them!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
USB Input?

Can not view my files when connecting my hard drive.
Is an update needed?

·
Registered
292 Posts
Got my player today. Nice looking and heavy . After hooking everything up I turned it on, display came on and I updated the firmware(maybe I should have left it alone). I now get a picture but no audio. I think I tried all the HDMI audio settings possible.

I use a separate hdmi audio and video cable. Seemed pretty straightforward but when it didn't work I checked the manual(tiny with small print) and I can't see that I've done anything wrong. I took the cables out and plugged them back into my Sony X800 and video and audio work perfect. There is also an advanced menu where you set the display type that I can't access. When I click on advanced the menu comes up but when I scroll down the menu it flips back to the previous page before I can access any settings. I tried resetting to original factory settings but still no change. I also tried rebooting but it didn't help. Guess I will call VE tomorrow.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Got my player today. Nice looking and heavy . After hooking everything up I turned it on, display came on and I updated the firmware(maybe I should have left it alone). I now get a picture but no audio. I think I tried all the HDMI audio settings possible.

I use a separate hdmi audio and video cable. Seemed pretty straightforward but when it didn't work I checked the manual(tiny with small print) and I can't see that I've done anything wrong. I took the cables out and plugged them back into my Sony X800 and video and audio work perfect. There is also an advanced menu where you set the display type that I can't access. When I click on advanced the menu comes up but when I scroll down the menu it flips back to the previous page before I can access any settings. I tried resetting to original factory settings but still no change. I also tried rebooting but it didn't help. Guess I will call VE tomorrow.
Do you have a scope screen by chance?

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
interesting developement, see post below from @PurpleX who is in japan, any one with some experience of this. The 820 doesnt have the options mentioned below,

JVC Japan has just updated the marketing blurb for the new projectors to include a new section on Auto-tone mapping in conjunction with the new Panasonic DP-UB 9000 UHD player. This player is basically a 820 in an oppo like case.

Essentially the Japanese text says that there are two new settings on the Panasonic player, High bright Projector (emphasizes highlights) and basic bright Projector (emphasizes color reproduction) that are designed to specifically work in conjunction with JVC auto tone mapping.

Decoding what this means I would guess than the Panasonic player sends meta data to the JVC when these modes are on which results in correct settings in the JVC so it doesn't screw things up..

Edit:
The title implies this, but it is unclear in the blurb if it means that that the Auto tone mapping in the JVC was developed in conjunction with Panasonic (ie same algorithm when dealing with HDR10) or the settings in the Panasonic was developed to work with the JVC (I'm guessing the later) it is possible I guess that the Panasonic can use HDR10+ and maybe DV metadata to further improve the tone mapping)

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Yes I do, but I don't see what that would have to do with the audio.
I was having trouble on my 820 bringing up certain menu adjustments and some screens looked like they were reverting back to the previous when I hit enter. The problem was that the Panasonic settings menu puts selection boxes on the very bottom of the image, and with my scope screen and PJ in the scope zoom setting it was putting selection boxes below my screen where I couldn't see them.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
note I have updated the important info updates post above to include google translated note from panasonic on their tone mapping especially where developed in cooperation with JVC for projectors,

https://translate.google.com/transl...anasonic.jp/bdplayer/products/ub9000/hdr.html

Developed exclusively for projector in cooperation with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd.
The UB 9000 can select "Projector-specific setting (high brightness projector, basic brightness projector)" as the HDR display type for automatic HDR tone map.
By choosing this setting, the UB 9000 optimizes the video according to the projector, so the reproducibility of the color and gradation of the high-brightness part of the HDR video, which was difficult to express with the projector, will be improved * 1 .
This setting was realized by cooperating with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd. to carry out efforts to optimize HDR video. Combined with the company's projectors "DLA - V9R", "DLA - V7" and "DLA - V5", you can enjoy more rich colors and gradations of HDR image work on a large screen.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Thinking of pulling the trigger, curious about Dolby Vision with Sony A1E. Would like anyone who specifically knows if the Dolby Vision for the A1E is supported and is working.

If any can recall, OPPO had Dolby Vision and a Sony A1E finally came out with the DV update, however OPPO had to do another update because Song is difficult. Just curious if I were to pull the trigger I get the same experience on an OPPO in regards to DV.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'm thinking of replacing a Sony X1000ES with the Panny 9000. Aside from the 9000 playing DV formats, I'm primarily interested in how the upscaling from standard definition DVDs compares.

If anyone has comments on this difference, I'd like to hear them!
About DVD upscaling... I can't compare with the X1000ES, but I can compare with the x800 I own...

The Sony is pretty good, but the UB9000 is nothing short of amazing... I watch a lot of TV Series on DVD...

Reactions: erudolph

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
note I have updated the important info updates post above to include google translated note from panasonic on their tone mapping especially where developed in cooperation with JVC for projectors,

https://translate.google.com/transl...anasonic.jp/bdplayer/products/ub9000/hdr.html

The UB 9000 can select "Projector-specific setting (high brightness projector, basic brightness projector)" as the HDR display type for automatic HDR tone map.
By choosing this setting, the UB 9000 optimizes the video according to the projector, so the reproducibility of the color and gradation of the high-brightness part of the HDR video, which was difficult to express with the projector, will be improved * 1 .
This setting was realized by cooperating with JVC Kenwood Co., Ltd. to carry out efforts to optimize HDR video. Combined with the company's projectors "DLA - V9R", "DLA - V7" and "DLA - V5", you can enjoy more rich colors and gradations of HDR image work on a large screen.
Just curious, which of the JVC projectors do they consider high brightness and which are basic brightness or is it a choice depending on whether you wish to optimize saturation in color or optimize for brightest highlights? It’s a little confusing to me.

Reactions: Rengozu

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Just curious, which of the JVC projectors do they consider high brightness and which are basic brightness or is it a choice depending on whether you wish to optimize saturation in color or optimize for brightest highlights? It’s a little confusing to me.
I suspect its related to whether you can achieve something akin to output levels to enjoy benefits of HDR or not ? so in case of where have the luxury of output then can go with optimising for brightest highlights. where lacking a tad in output you then optimise for colours :) of course when brightness you achieve is dependant on projector you use but also the conditions ie throw and screen size. I run a relatively smaller screen with output up sleeve.... ie watch HDR on low lamp, iris clamped :) so in my case I would try the optimise for high brightness on low and high lamp, or I can also try the basic setting in low lamp and see what result I get :)

Besides, without approximate peak nits as an input value it is essentially worthless.
Art
essentially worthless is a bit of a call ! what we have here is a first I would suggest with maker and player maker collaborating for optimising HDR with projectors ... it makes the 9000 HOT property I would suggest. I certainly would love to try it with a jvc n7 :cool:

·
Registered
95 Posts

Is the HDR optimiser turned on along with the above settings?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hello All,

I am trying to view my Masciola Test Patterns via th USB input with no luck when I first connect the drive the Panasonic recognizes it but when I open it there is no file to choose.

Has anyone tried the usb Input yet?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,191 Posts

Why would this only apply to those projectors? Do you really want both the 9000 and JVC tone-mapping at the same time? And those projectors aren't any "brighter" than the previous versions on the spec sheet. In fact, they're dimmer.

I wonder if this high brightness setting would apply to any of the recent JVC projectors.

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Why would this only apply to those projectors? Do you really want both the 9000 and JVC tone-mapping at the same time? And those projectors aren't any "brighter" than the previous versions on the spec sheet. In fact, they're dimmer.

I wonder if this high brightness setting would apply to any of the recent JVC projectors.
because projectors dont have the output capability of flat panels, they already had flat panel specific settings. these are just there for the projectors. consider it preparing the tone mapping for projector to finish off. I think there is a note considering the setting gets output signal so projector can handle it best. the new jvc projectors have tone mapping on board. the above links provided indicate panasonic and jvc worked together on this. and there is an element in the disc player and an element in the projector. all we will know in time. I have the previous gen jvc x7000 it is rated at 1800 ansi lumen. ofcourse ! brightness is related to screen and throw.... what I achieve will be VERY different to someone else with a much smaller/larger screen, shorter/longer throw. the new jvc n7 is rated slightly higher at 1900 ansi lumen.

a LOT of questions, I wouldnt suggest we have all-any of the answers. i expect we will know more when people have actually tried both systems in isolation and conjunction. at present panasonic tone mapping is considered the best using meta data. at present jvc new projector is great in that it uses the meta data to tone map and has had great feedback to date. great both player and projector makers have collaborated on this and look forward to reading how much better it is in conjunction with both working together :)

high as i explained brightness relates to what you can achieve... on screen. its likely independent of projector itself

·
Registered
5,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
Hello All,

I am trying to view my Masciola Test Patterns via th USB input with no luck when I first connect the drive the Panasonic recognizes it but when I open it there is no file to choose.

Has anyone tried the usb Input yet?

Thanks
havent yet, hopefully someone can answer...

I have used usb with the masciola patterns on a ub900 so suspect / hope no different with the 9000 :)

41 - 60 of 1569 Posts