AVS Forum banner

1261 - 1280 of 1437 Posts

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Nope, just sharing my actual experiences. Forums tend to focus or exaggerate the bad experiences :)
Sometimes, but most related posts I find at AVS Forum seem genuine with the amount of detail and follow-up afforded. Short product blasts we can usually disregard.

Generally IMO customer service needs to up their game. Not only in the electronics industry. The most pathetic are companies who farm out their customer service, and giving those contracts little authority to satisfy the product complaints.

Cheers. Stay safe.

Reactions: william06

·
Registered
739 Posts
I was watching the Rise of Skywalker 4k disk yesterday and about halfway through the picture got really pixelated. Turned it off and back on and it was still there. Then after about a minute it cleared up. The movie never froze up or anything. I had watched 2 of the other disks from the set and they were fine. Im going to try it in my oppo and see if the same thing happens. Anyone else try this one out and have any issues in the 9000?

Reactions: SimpleTheater

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I was watching the Rise of Skywalker 4k disk yesterday and about halfway through the picture got really pixelated. Turned it off and back on and it was still there. Then after about a minute it cleared up. The movie never froze up or anything. I had watched 2 of the other disks from the set and they were fine. Im going to try it in my oppo and see if the same thing happens. Anyone else try this one out and have any issues in the 9000?
Watched it last night on our 820, and it was fine all the way through. You may have a defective disc if it does it in the same spot again.

Reactions: Fargus777

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I have had sporadic issues like this with my 820 over the last few weeks. A thorough cleaning does not consistently resolve it. Sometimes the same disc will have issues, the next time it won't.

I'm inclined to think the player has intermittent problems reading discs, especially UHD ones. Whether this is a 'dirty' lens, some physical alignment problem, or whatever, I really don't know.

As one example, Color Out of Space, UHD, played poorly on my 820 (and in fact, I did an exchange, with the new one being better, though not perfect). The same disc, even the original one, played flawlessly on my Sony X800.

I have a month before my warranty is up, and may pursue this as a repair if the problem persists or worsens.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Try cleaning it. Might just be residue. I had the same with Rogue One, cleaned it and ok then.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I've found that 99% of the time it's from a dirty disc. This player is very sensitive. A finger print can cause the image to pixelate. One thing that has helped me is to gently pat the disc with a micro fiber cloth before playing. Have few problems with this ritual. Can't explain why. Could be a static electricity thing or just a final removal of any smudges or dust.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Soon to be new owner of the ub9000 tomorrow. One quick question- does the remote have the -10 second and +60 second buttons?
Some manuals pdf.s show them, some don't.
Thanks,
Tom

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
So has Panasonic abandoned this player? No new updates for quite a longtime. For such a premium expensive player updates should be more frequent.
What kind of updates are you looking for?

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The ability to remember Subtitle position and luminance from one session to another. As it is, you start from scratch each time.

The ability to disable the auto turn-off where it shuts down completely after 15-20 minutes or so of inactivity.

Improved playability, where some discs seem to give it trouble reading.

Others may add more, but those improvements would be nice.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Soon to be new owner of the ub9000 tomorrow. One quick question- does the remote have the -10 second and +60 second buttons?
Some manuals pdf.s show them, some don't.
Thanks,
Tom
There are no such buttons on the UB9000 remote.... (Not on the US version, at any rate, if there is a difference.)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Looks like there is a newer firmware shipping with new 2020 made 820s, they just stupidly haven't released it online. Someone on the 820 thread posted a response from Panasonic on this.

Ticks me off to be honest.

They released a new firmware to China on March 4th but haven’t yet to make it available elsewhere.

I believe this was the first time they didn’t release a firmware to all and limited it to one region

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts
The ability to remember Subtitle position and luminance from one session to another. As it is, you start from scratch each time.

The ability to disable the auto turn-off where it shuts down completely after 15-20 minutes or so of inactivity.

Improved playability, where some discs seem to give it trouble reading.

Others may add more, but those improvements would be nice.
I agree! Very annoying. I mentioned this about a 1,5 years ago, but don't have any contacts with Panasonic.

·
Super Moderator
15,968 Posts
Thread clean-up

Reactions: JFR0317

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I'm trying to understand 'High Clarity sound' settings.
The manual isn't clear to me exactly what it does, or doesn't do.
One thing it does do is turn off the front panel display, which is great for me since I watch in a dark HT. I want the front panel off. It would be better if the 'off' option was available in the 'front panel display' settings, but I can only set to 'dim' there.
So, am I negatively affecting the audio in any way by turning the 'High Clarity Sound' to 'on' and the 'front panel display' to 'off' ??
I use both HDMI outs on the 9000 since my processor does not handle 4K, but my display does 4K UHD/DV.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I'm trying to understand 'High Clarity sound' settings.
The manual isn't clear to me exactly what it does, or doesn't do.
One thing it does do is turn off the front panel display, which is great for me since I watch in a dark HT. I want the front panel off. It would be better if the 'off' option was available in the 'front panel display' settings, but I can only set to 'dim' there.
So, am I negatively affecting the audio in any way by turning the 'High Clarity Sound' to 'on' and the 'front panel display' to 'off' ??
I use both HDMI outs on the 9000 since my processor does not handle 4K, but my display does 4K UHD/DV.
That's how I have it set, but High Clarity has no impact when watching movies...

Reactions: tngiloy

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't recall from the manual if it does slow motion-at least with DVDs. But I know that it has no basic zoom control like my Oppo 95 does, much less the Pioneer LX500's zoomed image positioning. My lowly JVC XVNA70bk DVD player from 2004 has it all. Really thoughtless of Oppo and Panasonic for players at those price points.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
I don't recall from the manual if it does slow motion-at least with DVDs. But I know that it has no basic zoom control like my Oppo 95 does, much less the Pioneer LX500's zoomed image positioning. My lowly JVC XVNA70bk DVD player from 2004 has it all. Really thoughtless of Oppo and Panasonic for players at those price points.
That just isn't a widely used feature by the target audience. I get it, there will always be some feature that somebody wants...but it's just not meant to accommodate every little thing. It's like complaining Corvette has too small of a trunk.

1261 - 1280 of 1437 Posts