AVS Forum banner

1461 - 1480 of 1498 Posts

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
From someone at Blu Ray.com via GeoffR at Whirlpool for 1.66 external subtle support. I posted on the 820 thread how to download the firmware from panasonic

"Thanks to Mierzwiak over on the blu-ray forums, I now have an answer to this. You need to put create a folder on the usb called 'sub', rename the srt file to 'sub.srt' and put it in that folder. Must be all lower case. Then when you go to the subtitles menu from the option button, there are additional items in the menu, and you can load the external subs. I tried it and it worked like a charm"

·
Registered
842 Posts

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,470

·
Registered
25 Posts
I just got a UB9000 player and I am having an issue with HDR10 movies where when I start the disc, the video does not appear unless i switch inputs on my Denon receiver and then switch back to get video. I dont have the problem with Dolby Vision discs.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,508 Posts
Dolby Vision over HDMI actually uses less bandwidth than the typical format used to send HDR10. Sounds like your HDMI cabling is not quite up to the task of handling that during the HDMI handshake. But it is CLOSE since you are able to make it work by forcing a 2nd handshake.

Typically this means checking your HDMI cables. You may need to replace them. Look for cables labeled “Premium Certified” — complete with the fancy hologram logo. These need not be expensive. For example see Monoprice.com.

But before replacing the cables try the simple step of unplugging and replugging each HDMI plug from end to end in the signal path. HDMI is only friction fit, and it just takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up.
—Bob

·
Registered
25 Posts
Dolby Vision over HDMI actually uses less bandwidth than the typical format used to send HDR10. Sounds like your HDMI cabling is not quite up to the task of handling that during the HDMI handshake. But it is CLOSE since you are able to make it work by forcing a 2nd handshake.

Typically this means checking your HDMI cables. You may need to replace them. Look for cables labeled “Premium Certified” — complete with the fancy hologram logo. These need not be expensive. For example see Monoprice.com.

But before replacing the cables try the simple step of unplugging and replugging each HDMI plug from end to end in the signal path. HDMI is only friction fit, and it just takes a small shift of plug in socket to screw things up.
—Bob

Thanks, I have premium certified cabling with the logo. HDR10 works flawlessly on my LG UBK90 and all my othe devices so I will check the hdmi connections on my 9000.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
I am noticing a difference between DV on my OPPO 203 and DV on the Panny 9000. The first picture is the OPPO 203. The 2nd picture is from the panny. The 3rd is from the Panny with DV turned off. The Panny is definitely more saturated with skins tones in DV compared to the OPPO 203. The colors are not as orange as the pictures show with DV, but there is a big difference. There is something really off on the 9000 as all skin tones look sun burnt with DV compared to the 203. When I turn off DV in the Panny, the colors look a lot closer to what the OPPO 203 does with DV. I don't think the 9000 is doing DV correctly from what I am seeing. For DV, tv is set to Warm 2, and color gamut is greyed out to Wide. For HDR10, Color gamut Normal and set to Warm 2. Just weird that 2 different UHD players are processing DV differently. BTW, the tv I own is the LG 65E6 OLED.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have got my hdmi handshake issue sorted but I had one more thing I am looking for suggestions with lip sync issues on blu rays. I know the tv, receiver and the player all have functions but I am wondering if enabling one over another works best or if i should enable them all.

·
Registered
10,025 Posts
Ok I think I figured it out with my photos above. The StudioCanal version of the Fifth Element is pushing red way too much with it's DV encode. The HDR10 base layer is just fine. If I play the Sony version of that disc, and force it to output as DV on the OPPO 203 the skin tones look normal. The SC disc is the first disc that I noticed that DV was messed up with color.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I have got my hdmi handshake issue sorted but I had one more thing I am looking for suggestions with lip sync issues on blu rays. I know the tv, receiver and the player all have functions but I am wondering if enabling one over another works best or if i should enable them all.
What was the problem, if I may ask? I am seeing a similar issue (with having to force a second handshake) occasionally. A "Premuim Certified" cable is not an option in my case, since my AVR --> display run is about 45'. I started with a Monoprice DynamicView cable (it worked falwlessly for 1080p - I know, I know...), and then replaced it with a Ruipro optical. Performance is identical (indicating to me that the problem is not the cable), and I am at a loss. A minor inconvenience, to be sure, since toggling AVR inputs resolves the issue), but one I would like to put to bed, so to speak. Thanks!

·
Registered
3 Posts
From someone at Blu Ray.com via GeoffR at Whirlpool for 1.66 external subtle support. I posted on the 820 thread how to download the firmware from panasonic

"Thanks to Mierzwiak over on the blu-ray forums, I now have an answer to this. You need to put create a folder on the usb called 'sub', rename the srt file to 'sub.srt' and put it in that folder. Must be all lower case. Then when you go to the subtitles menu from the option button, there are additional items in the menu, and you can load the external subs. I tried it and it worked like a charm"
That person is not running factory firmware.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
That person is not running factory firmware.
Ah, that explains it. Sigh. Darn. I thought I had heard the Chinese factory models had it too. I was thinking the 1.66 must have had it.

I haven't been able to get it to work though. I tried contacting the chap at Whirlpool in case the instructions were wrong, but didn't hear back

1461 - 1480 of 1498 Posts