AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I didn't see a thread for the Panasonic 2011 TC-PxxX3 series, so I thought I'd start one!

I got my TC-P46X3 a few weeks ago, and I really enjoy it. Coming from LCD, there is a huge difference in quality with regards to picture detail.

Figured I'd christen this thread with my findings so far, and some pictures of my TV, and let others post any questions they may have for me (from a user experience standpoint) or share their own experiences!

See my post later on in this thread for my current calibration settings.

I'm just astounded by the minute picture detail that I'm seeing on content I've watched so many times before. Also, I'm a huge hockey fan, and watching NHL games on this TV is so much better than what I was seeing on LCD (I thought it looked pretty good on LCD until I watched a game on this set!)

Pictures will be coming in my next post.

Let's get this thread going!

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
As promised, here are some photos of the set in action (each photo has the television's bezel included for reference). The camera was set up about 1.5 feet closer to the television than the normal viewing distance, and it was zoomed in to fill the image with the screen.

The first 4 are from the Disney WOW set (first 3 are paused, 4th is of the video playing). The last 2 are from Avatar (first 1 is of the video playing, 2nd is paused).

Obviously this is the best quality that my camera can show (in combination with your computer monitor), I do feel that the quality in person is better than these pictures represent:

Just a quick edit note - the lines visible in the paused images are NOT visible when viewing the set, apparently my camera did that when taking the photos.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The screen is fairly reflective, so it depends on what content you are watching during the day.

The pictures above are from my livingroom in the late afternoon. I do not have any direct sunlight on the screen from windows, and I would consider the environment used for these pictures to be low-light (not no-light).

In full daylight, dark areas are affected only. Bright areas in the picture do not show any reflection that I can discern while normally watching the set. For example, if you were to have the type of picture shown in the first 4 images, there would be little to no discernible reflection during the day. For the 5th picture, there might or might not depending on how bright the room is. For the last picture especially, there would be reflection in the black areas.

I have no problems watching daytime\\children's television on this set during the day, however watching darker movies might be an issue during the day without any ambient light control.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Quote:
Also, I'm a huge hockey fan, and watching NHL games on this TV is so much better than what I was seeing on LCD

Dude when I read this I instantly had to login and reply here. I too am a HUGE hockey fan. The playoffs this year have been outstanding. I will tell you, if you don't have a good set to watch hockey, it can kind of be difficult to keep track of where the puck is (especially when you have a white background with mostly dark colored jerseys and such). Hockey + plasma goodness = awesometown

I too have the TC-P46X3(currently mounted in the master bedroom). It's a perfect size for our room. My impressions so far : .... amazing. Black levels are great, colors are great. I have zero complaints about this plasma.

Also, thanks to tornadobox for posting your calibration settings. I have been searching the internet for someone who has done some kind of calibration for this set.

·
Registered
1 Posts
X30 is supposed to be the same as X3 right?

I own the 50X30 and satisfied with it.

Cheap, no buzz (I can't hear it from zero feet away on the front of TV lol), great color, good black level. I only wish it has better calibration menu and AR filter.

In the store, with heavy lightning as usual, I compared it to Samsung 51D450.

The D450 has better black but uglier color especially white. I'm pretty sure that was overly saturated color which gonna be tiring my eyes. I'm surprised the shopkeeper keep telling me those set has more natural color. And even though the black is good, many details in dark scene are lost. The white in D450 is not in uniform and looks dirty. X30 in comparison has grayish black but more natural color and clean white. Details in dark scene are preserved as well.

Since I'm watching it in low to no light environment the grayish black I'm seeing in store is gone and the black is acceptable.

Don't have many time to calibrate, my setting for PC display currently:

Viewing Mode: Cinema

Contrast: 65

Brightness: 0 (default)

Colour: 55

Sharpness: 50

Tint: 0

Colour Balance: Cool

Vivid Colour: Off

Oh, for information I'm a noob in calibration

I choose "Cool" because I only managed to get white in that colour balance. Normal and warm gave me a goldish white.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hey holy_reds,

I'm not sure, I've not heard of the X30...maybe it's an overseas version (since the default brightness of the X3 is 50, not 0 like yours)?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Great thread. Glad to see there are some people with some great input on this plasma. I just purchased the 50x3 picking it up on Saturday. Does anyone have any input with this model? or pretty much the same as the 46x3? Sorry if its a newb question.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogspea /forum/post/20413344

Great thread. Glad to see there are some people with some great input on this plasma. I just purchased the 50x3 picking it up on Saturday. Does anyone have any input with this model? or pretty much the same as the 46x3? Sorry if its a newb question.

From what I understand, the 42", 46", and 50" are all identical aside from size.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What do you all have your external devices set at for output? The set accepts up to 1080p for input, but I've ended up setting all my devices to 720p. While I think the picture is a little sharper from 1080 sources, I feel like 720p gives motion a slightly smoother look in specific circumstances (like hockey for instance), but the difference really is minimal, and I'm wondering if it's just in my head.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadobox /forum/post/20429485

What do you all have your external devices set at for output? The set accepts up to 1080p for input, but I've ended up setting all my devices to 720p. While I think the picture is a little sharper from 1080 sources, I feel like 720p gives motion a slightly smoother look in specific circumstances (like hockey for instance), but the difference really is minimal, and I'm wondering if it's just in my head.

When I owned a 720P DLP RPTV, I converted all channels to 720P in the cable box. I never bothered to look for small differences.

There was no Blu-ray at that time. Your Blu-ray player may do a better job of converting 1080p to 720p than your TV. That would explain what you are seeing.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by htwaits /forum/post/20430022

When I owned a 720P DLP RPTV, I converted all channels to 720P in the cable box. I never bothered to look for small differences.

There was no Blu-ray at that time. Your Blu-ray player may do a better job of converting 1080p to 720p than your TV. That would explain what you are seeing.

I was thinking more along the lines of maybe 60fps vs 30fps on 720p potentially looking smoother than 1080i from my cable box...I haven't really done any testing with my PS3 and Blu-rays at 1080p (movies generally don't pan fast enough to see what I'm seeing when watching hockey).

Maybe that's just it, that the 60fps from the 720 signal is just a little more visually appealing to me for faster motion than the de-interlaced 1080 30fps. But then I'm not sure where that 600hz subfield drive comes in to play with how it handles the different framerates.

Again, maybe it's all in my head (for all I know, the signal from Versus is being sent at 1080i and converting it to 720p at the cable box isn't really doing much of anything).

In any case, either setting 720p or 1080i from the cable box for hockey is WAY better than how it is on my LCD's

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So, after a bunch of digging, apparently Versus broadcasts in 1080i...so maybe it is all just in my head after all

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadobox /forum/post/20430815

So, after a bunch of digging, apparently Versus broadcasts in 1080i...so maybe it is all just in my head after all

Back in 2004, when I got my DLP, there was a common belief that 720p was best for fast sports action. Which, according to the theory, was why ABC and Fox went with 720p. There was a third 720p channel, but I haven't thought about differences between 720p and 1080i in so long that I can't remember which one it was. Maybe it was ESPN.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've got all my stuff set to 1080 for output now (xbox/ps3 on 1080p and cable box on 1080i). Watched the Bruins pathetic outing last night and there was no difference between 1080i and 720p (probably due to the broadcast being at 1080i).

I suppose since all the sports that I care about are either on VS, NBC, or NESN (all broadcast at 1080i), there's really no reason for me to use 720p on the cable box.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tornadobox /forum/post/20438958

I suppose since all the sports that I care about are either on VS, NBC, or NESN (all broadcast at 1080i), there's really no reason for me to use 720p on the cable box.

That sounds right to me.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, now let's talk about judder.

I'm noticing this a lot in video games, and a google search indicated turning off IFC (intelligent frame creation).

I don't seem to have this option on my set, is this something Panasonic removed for 2011, or just for the X3 line?

·
Registered
306 Posts
Anyone else have any settings for this set? Post-calibration settings would be fantastic. I haven't had any luck finding any other threads for it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Could someone please post detailed calibration settings for the P46X3? Specifically for watching DVD's and Bluerays. This would be greatly appreciated!

1 - 20 of 176 Posts