AVS Forum banner

381 - 400 of 1640 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnblowcls /forum/post/21745729

....But even achieving this level could compete with Samsung or Lg OLED?

At this point it doesn't matter - they're not competing products. Optimistically those OLED sets might be available by the end of this year, only in 55", at a minimum price of $8,000. It's entirely possible we won't see them this year in any real numbers and that the price will be even higher. The 55" ST50 is already available at street prices under $1,500. Dunno about the VT but figure it can't possibly be more than $2,500.

jeff

·
Registered
112 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenjp /forum/post/21745793

At this point it doesn't matter - they're not competing products. Optimistically those OLED sets might be available by the end of this year, only in 55", at a minimum price of $8,000. It's entirely possible we won't see them this year in any real numbers and that the price will be even higher. The 55" ST50 is already available at street prices under $1,500. Dunno about the VT but figure it can't possibly be more than $2,500.

jeff

Exactly, well said.

·
Registered
484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindGoldfish /forum/post/21747186

I think all of the info found in that .pdf is on Panasonic's product page...

Pretty much. But it's still a nice link for someone to get a summary of what's in store. At least what Panny says is in store

·
Registered
1,535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnblowcls /forum/post/21745729

Let's say that VT50 could match the Kuro blacks,combined with no floating blacks/brightness,excelent color accuracy,very good motion with no artifacts,a bright image and many other aspects of the picture at a excellent level.But even achieving this level could compete with Samsung or Lg OLED?

OLED sure sounds promising but still has drawbacks. One of the biggest drawbacks currently is the lifespan of the product. According to one estimate, the product will last only 5 years. OLED screens can be difficult to view in bright light and has a problem with the reproducing the color blue from what I've read: "The OLED material used to produce blue light degrades significantly more rapidly than the materials that produce other colors, which means that blue light output will decrease relative to the other colors of light. This variation in the differential color output will change the color balance of the display and is much more noticeable than a decrease in overall luminance." That being said, the VT50 design sure looks quite stunning compared to the 2011 models. May have to take a long, hard look at it.

·
Registered
484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 /forum/post/21747308

OLED sure sounds promising but still has drawbacks. One of the biggest drawbacks currently is the lifespan of the product. According to one estimate, the product will last only 5 years. OLED screens can be difficult to view in bright light and has a problem with the reproducing the color blue from what I've read: "The OLED material used to produce blue light degrades significantly more rapidly than the materials that produce other colors, which means that blue light output will decrease relative to the other colors of light. This variation in the differential color output will change the color balance of the display and is much more noticeable than a decrease in overall luminance." That being said, the VT50 design sure looks quite stunning compared to the 2011 models. May have to take a long, hard look at it.

Interesting.

Sure does.

·
Registered
17,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM /forum/post/21742837

Where will D-Nice be posting his review?

Most of the stuff will be on HDJ, but I'll share a few items here....
  • MLL: 0.0049fL
  • Max light output in Custom mode (Contrast of 100) before calibration with standard windowed patterns measured 60fL.
  • Gamma is 2.2 with a setting of 2.6 in Custom. Flat except for bump at 90% stimuli (nothing major).
  • Grayscale tracking is improved compared to last year.
  • Grayscale does shift when using the smaller (THX classed) windowed patterns (goes green).
  • Gamma between smaller and standard windows is relatively the same. Much imporved compared to last year's models.
  • Light output also increases with the smaller pattern like they did last year but the difference is significantly less.
  • Light output between smaller windowed patterns and standard patterns equates to Panasonic's 20% brighter claims (post cal standard windowed patterns reference light output measured 40fL while smaller windowed pattern measured 48.5fL) .
  • FBr fluctuations are still there on the lower end of the grayscale (25% stimuli and below). Similar to 2011 panels post FBr update.
  • Color decoding improved compared to last year.

More later this week or early next week on HDJ.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/21748142

• Max light output in Custom mode (Contrast of 100) before calibration with standard windowed patterns measured 60fL.
  • Gamma is 2.2 with a setting of 2.6 in Custom. Flat except for bump at 90% stimuli (nothing major).
  • Grayscale does shift when using the smaller (THX classed) windowed patterns (goes green).
  • Gamma between smaller and standard windows is relatively the same. Much imporved compared to last year's models.
  • Light output also increases with the smaller pattern like they did last year but the difference is significantly less.
  • Light output between smaller windowed patterns and standard patterns equates to Panasonic's 20% brighter claims (post cal standard windowed patterns reference light output measured 40fL while smaller windowed pattern measured 48.5fL) .
  • FBr fluctuations are still there on the lower end of the grayscale (25% stimuli and below). Similar to 2011 panels post FBr update.

Thanks. I don't know what an HDJ is though.

Wait, ack, FBr, still? That's the first confirmation of it we've had.

(I'm hoping your review has some summary of the tech stuff for those of us not that conversant with all the really geeky aspects.)

·
Registered
963 Posts
Did the PND8000's have FBr? At this point I've narrowed my (expected) choices down to the PNE8000 and the VT50...

·
Registered
32,172 Posts

Quote:

So in other words, for the money, this is a fantastic value. And regardless of price, a fairly outstanding performer.

·
Registered
17 Posts

Quote:
Wait, ack, FBr, still? That's the first confirmation of it we've had.

He said post fbr update. It should be minimal and very reasonable.

Hardly a deal breaker, at the very least.

·
Banned
992 Posts
OLED screens will last longer then CRT's, they have double the half life already.

They should last 10 years easily.

Blue output will degrade faster on a materials bassis, but just like Plasma, they can build in adjustments over time to overcome this.

People forget that in torch mode CRTs dimmed very very quickly.

OLED will be better then CRTs from the get go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subavision212 /forum/post/21747308

·
Registered
963 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B /forum/post/21748773

OLED screens will last longer then CRT's, they have double the half life already.

They should last 10 years easily.

Blue output will degrade faster on a materials bassis, but just like Plasma, they can build in adjustments over time to overcome this.

People forget that in torch mode CRTs dimmed very very quickly.

OLED will be better then CRTs from the get go.

I wouldn't hold my breath:

(From the OLED Tech Advancements Thread):

And that's on a tiny screen. Imagine the defect rate on a television.

I'm sure the kinks in OLED will be worked out, especially once it hits mass production... but "OLED will be better then CRTs from the get go"? I think that might be a stretch.

·
Registered
814 Posts

Quote:

[*]Grayscale tracking is improved compared to last year.

[*]Gamma between smaller and standard windows is relatively the same. Much imporved compared to last year's models.

[*]Color decoding improved compared to last year.

Good to hear.

Quote:

[*]Gamma is 2.2 with a setting of 2.6 in Custom. Flat except for bump at 90% stimuli (nothing major).

And how am I supposed to achieve a gamma 2.4 response? (Is there a gamma 3.0 preset? LOL)

Quote:

[*]Grayscale does shift when using the smaller (THX classed) windowed patterns (goes green).

[*]FBr fluctuations are still there on the lower end of the grayscale (25% stimuli and below). Similar to 2011 panels post FBr update.

I can only hope the GT50 will be better in this (but I guess it won't be).

381 - 400 of 1640 Posts