AVS Forum banner

401 - 420 of 1640 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Does Panasonic make a 32-40" plasma tv that's 1080p? I'm moving to a small apartment an downsizing from my 55" Panasonic S2. Would a plasma this size be the best option for a htpc setup that will play many video games and be the main tv to watch movies and stuff?

·
Registered
1,495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdsnapBryan /forum/post/21749075

Does Panasonic make a 32-40" plasma tv that's 1080p? I'm moving to a small apartment an downsizing from my 55" Panasonic S2. Would a plasma this size be the best option for a htpc setup that will play many video games and be the main tv to watch movies and stuff?

The smallest plasma displays made by Panasonic are 42".

·
Registered
618 Posts
Ur best option will be the 42" UT50 or the 42" ST30 if you can still snag one. If you watch in the day a lot and the room is well lit, get the ST30.

·
Registered
17,811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 /forum/post/21748985

And how am I supposed to achieve a gamma 2.4 response? (Is there a gamma 3.0 preset? LOL)

Not possible with this display. Only the VT50 will be capable of doing this.

Quote:
I can only hope the GT50 will be better in this (but I guess it won't be).

99% sure it won't be.

·
Oppo Beta Group
11,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/21749673

I saw and measured this with test patterns. I have yet to watch content. That will be done on Sunday.... hopefully.

There has been some talk of eliminated or reduced line bleed.

Have you observed an improvement?

- Rich

·
Registered
14,464 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/21749463

If you meant to say ST50, yes.

So, do you think the ST50 is a worthwhile upgrade from the ST30, or is it more of an incremental improvement?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
I have seen several spec sheets on the VT50 having only two progressive options. 48hz and 96hz... It would appear to seem that 60jz is now removed from this years VT50.. Can someone please verify this.

·
Registered
5,678 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sound & Vision /forum/post/21749754

I have seen several spec sheets on the VT50 having only two progressive options. 48hz and 96hz... It would appear to seem that 60jz is now removed from this years VT50.. Can someone please verify this.

48/96 is for 24P playback only. 60 Hz will be the default for non 24P material.

·
Registered
3,672 Posts
Had a chance to play around with a 50" ST50 at Fry's today. Here are some impressions:

* Single largest improvement from previous models is motion handling. There is much less noise and posterization during fast motion. Motion resolution is also better with less blur. Once you engage the motion interpolation (which now has more settings) the difference is even bigger.

* Line bleed is still there - same as previous years model. Tested with the green ratings screen.

* Very agressive screen filter. This can be good and bad. It was great at reducing glare from store lights but had a negative effect on viewing angle. Things got dim very quickly off angle.

* Didn't notice any significant increase in brightness. But it's hard to judge this without an ST30 standing next to it.

* Watched some hockey. Didn't notice anything unusual. Ice was kind of dull/dim but no sudden jumps in brightness like you see on 2011 Samsung plasmas.

* Rainbows/Trails/Phosphor-lag: no improvement from last year. Samsung is much better in this regard.

* Built-in Media Player: huge improvment from last year. It now plays majority of my .ts/.m2ts and many more MKV formats.

* Didn't see any discoloration/blobs on full screen color slides.

-Mark

·
Registered
3,645 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by janos666 /forum/post/21748985

And how am I supposed to achieve a gamma 2.4 response? (Is there a gamma 3.0 preset? LOL)
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Nice /forum/post/21749460

Not possible with this display. Only the VT50 will be capable of doing this.

Can't you 'gang' RGB with the white balance control to lower/raise gamma? There is a white balance control in Custom mode isn't there?

Not disputing you... you have much more experience calibrating than I do. Just a question.

·
Registered
218 Posts
D Nice: Question for you....

I have a Panny S30, which replaced a faulty Insignia (Samsung panel) plasma. Both sets experience Fbr, which drives me nuts. Panasonic has told me that it is due to the energy star software and cannot be fixed. Can you tell me whether this quirk is something inherent to plasmas in general or is it just certain models? I have owned DLP's and LED's in the past and have not had fbr with them. I am just wondering if I need to switch to a different technology to get rid of the fbr?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizziwig /forum/post/21749976

Had a chance to play around with a 50" ST50 at Fry's today. Here are some impressions:

* Single largest improvement from previous models is motion handling. There is much less noise and posterization during fast motion. Motion resolution is also better with less blur. Once you engage the motion interpolation (which now has more settings) the difference is even bigger.

* Line bleed is still there - same as previous years model. Tested with the green ratings screen.

* Very agressive screen filter. This can be good and bad. It was great at reducing glare from store lights but had a negative effect on viewing angle. Things got dim very quickly off angle.

* Didn't notice any significant increase in brightness. But it's hard to judge this without an ST30 standing next to it.

* Watched some hockey. Didn't notice anything unusual. Ice was kind of dull/dim but no sudden jumps in brightness like you see on 2011 Samsung plasmas.

* Rainbows/Trails/Phosphor-lag: no improvement from last year. Samsung is much better in this regard.

* Built-in Media Player: huge improvment from last year. It now plays majority of my .ts/.m2ts and many more MKV formats.

* Didn't see any discoloration/blobs on full screen color slides.

-Mark

Interesting on the line bleed since one of the members tested the green movie rating screen on a UT50 and saw none.

So now there's horizontal dimming, haha, well, maybe they got rid of vertical.

Did you get to play with any settings? How bright was the tv section of the Fry's? Bestbuy sometimes dims their overhead flourescents in the tv section.

Are you sensitive to phosphor trailing? I was wondering if there was a different look to the image since they changed so much around. Samsung always has a crisper more CRT-like image in a way.

·
Registered
484 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtbreen76 /forum/post/21750550

D Nice: Question for you....

I have a Panny S30, which replaced a faulty Insignia (Samsung panel) plasma. Both sets experience Fbr, which drives me nuts. Panasonic has told me that it is due to the energy star software and cannot be fixed. Can you tell me whether this quirk is something inherent to plasmas in general or is it just certain models? I have owned DLP's and LED's in the past and have not had fbr with them. I am just wondering if I need to switch to a different technology to get rid of the fbr?

You may want to try and upgrade to an st30 (with the a-board replaced). I can't remember how LG plasmas fare with this issue.

On my GT30, ST30 and my brother's VT30, since the fix, FBr isn't really a problem anymore (although it's technically still there).

If you find yourself highly prone to seeing it, then yes, you may want to consider a different technology.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Thanks Mr. Vizio, i appreciate your honesty. I did consider upgrading, but saw that those lines also exhibited fbr. You describe that the fbr is still technically there, but no longer an issue, so I presume the fix greatly reduced the issue for you? If I bought a brand new ST, wouldn't the A-board already be the upgraded version? On the other models, the "fix" I presume was a firmware upgrade? I know they did a firmware upgrade for this issue on the S30, but it was for standard mode. i watch on Cinema, which is what Panasonic recommends for this issue, but it is still there. I really like the colors and motion capability of the plasma, despite the gamma errors in the S30, so I hesitate to go back to LED. I trolled the forums on an LG plasma that compares to the S30 and didn't see fbr come up as an issue, but I think that most videophiles looking for a plasma generally wind up with Panasonics.

The other fly in the soup that I see in my tv is horizontal banding in graduated solid colors. Is this also prevalent in the ST, GT or VT lines as well?

Thanks again, I appreciate your time and input.

401 - 420 of 1640 Posts