AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 1743 Posts

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it looks like all of the major Plasma manufacturers will have 1080p TVs by the end of next year. Panasonic will be the first to market with their 65". My guess is that this new 65" model will be the first new Onyx Model.

http://www.displaybank.com/eng2004/n...ead.php?id=627

"Top three Japanese frontrunners, Matsushita, Hitachi and Pioneer, are poised to launch a set of full HD PDP TVs from the second half of this year. Matsushita aims to introduce its 65-inch products within this year, with Hitachi and Pioneer planning to commercialize their 50-inch and over products in the second half of 2006 and in time for the 2006 Germany World Cup, respectively."

·
Registered
15,365 Posts
Drool.

I'm there!

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
n.b. : The Hitachi and Pioneer references to 50-inch and over products.

Like some of us have said for years, plasma can push 1920 x 1080 down to at least that size. Some mfrs. believe 42 inch is also quite doable.

·
Registered
4,273 Posts
I would assume that if Panasonic rolls out a 65" 1080p plasma by the end of this year, that then they would work to releasing a 1080p 50" in the fall of 2006. Ay a premium price of course but since they are in intense competition with the 1080p RP and LCD TVs, the price may not be much of a premium compared to current prices. So by late 2007 could we see a 50" 1080p Panny commercial model for under $3K? Hmm, that might work for me...

So when we will see the first 65" Panansonic plasma vs 65" Sharp Aquos vs 65" size range 1080p DLP RP vs Sony 70" SXRD shootout? Someone must already be thinking about how to do this.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
This is incredible news.

Now: does one choose the Pioneer 61" IF the blacks are better with the 1080p model, and with Pioneer's already excellent colour 'pop', OR the extra real estate of the Panny? That at least will be a nice decision to have to make!

Bish

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Good question. That real estate is a big driver for me. But, we really have to wait for three (3) things to play out:

-Cost

-Specs

-Ship date

With Panny's first 65" it took about four (4) months for it to break below the $10k mark after being initially priced at $15k (info from nextag.com)

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
The LG item sure says LG has a 1920 x 1080. The Panasonic items linked to just about say no such thing. The Financial Mirror one is gibberish and wrong.

I believe Panasonic has a 1920 x 1080 65 inch and I believe it's coming soon, but I would read little into those linked articles.

·
Registered
15,365 Posts
An 80" 1080p plasma, if it had blacks as deep enough as the Panasonic, would be essentially my perfect dream display. Unfortunately I'm assuming the Fujitsu will be outrageously expensive for the near future, and I have doubts about the black levels given Fujitsu's previous home-grown panels.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/0

An 80" 1080p plasma, if it had blacks as deep enough as the Panasonic, would be essentially my perfect dream display. Unfortunately I'm assuming the Fujitsu will be outrageously expensive for the near future, and I have doubts about the black levels given Fujitsu's previous home-grown panels.

According to the article the panel is from Samsung.

·
Oppo Beta Group
12,158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Harkness /forum/post/0

Rich,

I am very pleased with my 65. I think there is only one area that has proved problematic. The panel is very sensitive to noise in the darker areas at about 5%. I can reproduce this using Judder Test by selecting different RGB levels. With a clean signal, it is fine. Add analog or digital noise and it shows up.

Pioneers have been a bit cleaner and it will be interesting to see how well they do with the gen 6 panels. I suspect they will have to put a much greater effort into producing smooth grays scales when they are mapping them onto a 1080p Panel.

I was toying with a "Show me your gray scales" thread. What do you think?

-- Rich

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichB /forum/post/0

Pioneers have been a bit cleaner and it will be interesting to see how well they do with the gen 6 panels. I suspect they will have to put a much greater effort into producing smooth grays scales when they are mapping them onto a 1080p Panel.

-- Rich

In the past Pioneer avoided the worst noise by not producing the dark grey levels that the Panasonic did. It will be interesting to see how they compare if they are producing the same deep blacks/greys.

·
Super Moderator
21,554 Posts

Quote:

Rich,

-- Rich

Great idea

Gray scale is probably the least understood and hardest to set aspect of calibrating a display: yet it is the first and most important step to a proper calibration

Please do it!

·
Registered
15,365 Posts

Quote:

Rich,

I am very pleased with my 65. I think there is only one area that has proved problematic. The panel is very sensitive to noise in the darker areas at about 5%. I can reproduce this using Judder Test by selecting different RGB levels. With a clean signal, it is fine. Add analog or digital noise and it shows up.

-- Rich

Yes, my experience essentially agrees with yours. The Pioneers I think do have some better handling of noise in the lower areas of their gray scale (although of course they never went as deep). I'm betting the new 6gen Pioneers will have a pretty nice handling of the (even lower) gray scale/noise too.

As I said I'm quite excited by the announcement of the new 65" 1080p Panny plasma. But what worries me is this: Will they (likely) drop the current lower-res version of the 65" which has been steadily heading south towards affordability to me, and replace it with the 1080p model? And will the 1080p model command a premium price, rocketing it back up into "premium, rich-guy-only" territory. That would be a bummer, and would put a dent in my "big plasma" dream for a while.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wonder if we'll ever see a Commercial 1080p plasma or will the 720p be "good enough" for the business user.

1 - 20 of 1743 Posts