AVS Forum banner

661 - 680 of 8605 Posts

·
Banned
142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlot /forum/post/20223912

Does anyone know how the 210 compares to the Toshiba BDX2700? I'm picking one of these up today. Thanks!

Ive not seen very good comments on the Toshiba line, but Im not sure about that model.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUPPPP /forum/post/20222815

One thing I have noticed on my BDT110...

On quite a few of the DVDs I have played, I am not able to skip the previews and whatnot to get to the main menu. I press the "top menu" button, and it keeps saying something to the effect of "this option is not available". I have to physically fast forward through the preview, then the FF will stop when the next preview comes up, and I'll have to FF again. I'll have to repeat this till I get to the main menu. Does this happen to anyone else? Its quite annoying and if anyone knows of a way around this, I'd be very appreciative.

This firmware will allow you to skip those areas on any DVD or BD.
http://www.firmwareinfo.com/viewforum.php?f=49

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour /forum/post/20224270

This firmware will allow you to skip those areas on any DVD or BD.
http://www.firmwareinfo.com/viewforum.php?f=49

This is not always true !

The effect of UOP/PUO deactivation depends on the disc structure.

If a DVD does not contain navigational commands at the end of a cell (e.g if playpack is controlled by script commands), this cannot be "solved" by deactivating UOPs. Even with deactivated UOPs you will not be able to skip trailers on DVDs which have been authored that way.

The situation is similar with Blu-ray discs.

PUO deactivation for Blu-ray discs will only affect operations which normally result in a prohibition error message like "This operation is prohibited by this disc" !

If you get a message like "This operation is not available" when trying to skip something this will not change with deactivated PUOs !

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceOfCake /forum/post/20224510

This is not always true !

The effect of UOP/PUO deactivation depends on the disc structure.

If a DVD does not contain navigational commands at the end of a cell (e.g if playpack is controlled by script commands), this cannot be "solved" by deactivating UOPs. Even with deactivated UOPs you will not be able to skip trailers on DVDs which have been authored that way.

The situation is similar with Blu-ray discs.

PUO deactivation for Blu-ray discs will only affect operations which normally result in a prohibition error message like "This operation is prohibited by this disc" !

If you get a message like "This operation is not available" when trying to skip something this will not change with deactivated PUOs !

True, I should have worded it differently but it does give the OP more control than he did have. I personally have not had many instances where I couldn't skip, just not with my 210. I personally wouldn't buy the firmware with so little added features.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour /forum/post/20224642

True, I should have worded it differently but it does give the OP more control than he did have. I personally have not had many instances where I couldn't skip, just not with my 210. I personally wouldn't buy the firmware with so little added features.

I really don't care about what you do

I'm just trying to avoid confusion because I'm using the enhanced firmware for quiet some time now and I know how it works.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Deactivate Netflix-Hard Factory Reset

Found out there is no way to deactivate\\change Netflix user on my 210. (Doing it from Netflix site does not prevent it from coming back automatically and soft factory reset does not work either) So if you are going to return item, you need to do this.

From Panasonic Tech:

In order to deactivate Netflix you will be required to reset the unit to its factory settings.

Please reset this unit to its default setting as follows:

1. While the unit is off, press and hold [OK], and [Y] on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds. -

?00 RET? is displayed on the unit's display.

2. Repeatedly press (right) on the remote control or [POWER on the unit until ?08 FIN? is displayed on the unit's display. 3. Press and hold [OK] on the remote control or [OPEN/CLOSE] on the unit for at least 3 seconds.

3. Turn the unit on and go through the setup once again.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 /forum/post/20226642

My avatar 3D promotional blu-ray arrived today

That's great. When did you mail it and what was the date on your receipt?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just received a BDT210 today and noticed there are no remote codes for non-Panasonic TVs. (Power, Volume, Source) Last year's BDT85 had them and they worked on the Hitachi TV I've got. The 210 manual refers only to Panasonic TVs so it looks like that operability does not include other brands anymore.

Anyone succeed in reprogramming the BDT210 TV remote buttons? I found it a useful feature on the BDT85.

First post here, very helpful thread

·
Registered
1,816 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PieceOfCake /forum/post/20224747

I really don't care about what you do

I didn't ask for you to care, I don't care that you don't care and I'm the last one on this forum to care about anyone..

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMaxell /forum/post/20227019

Deactivate Netflix-Hard Factory Reset

Found out there is no way to deactivate\\change Netflix user on my 210. (Doing it from Netflix site does not prevent it from coming back automatically and soft factory reset does not work either) So if you are going to return item, you need to do this.

From Panasonic Tech:

In order to deactivate Netflix you will be required to reset the unit to its factory settings.

Please reset this unit to its default setting as follows:

1. While the unit is off, press and hold [OK], and [Y] on the remote control at the same time for more than 5 seconds. -

?00 RET? is displayed on the unit's display.

2. Repeatedly press (right) on the remote control or [POWER on the unit until ?08 FIN? is displayed on the unit's display. 3. Press and hold [OK] on the remote control or [OPEN/CLOSE] on the unit for at least 3 seconds.

3. Turn the unit on and go through the setup once again.

I lost my Netflix info with a simple reset.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Question about the enhanced firmware:

If the available version is 1.00, enhanced is 1.00A. If version 1.20 becomes available, my understanding is that is replaces 1.00A if you install it. Do you have to contact them again to get version 1.20A? Would you have to donate again to get the upgrade?

Thanks

·
Registered
544 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater /forum/post/20227146

I mailed it on 3/5. The date on my receipt was 3/1. The kids and I watched the first hour this evening on our projector (JVC RS40) and it was really good

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #673

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seawater /forum/post/20227146

I received mine today too for my 110. I bought mine w/ overnight shipping from amazon on 3/1 and mailed it in on 3/2.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Today I returned my recently purchased Samsung BD-D5500 and picked up the Panny 210. The Sammy didn't decode DTS-HD, which I need since my AVR doesn't decode it either.

I can't really provide a good comparison since I never watched a full movie on either. I can say I like the Panny interface MUCH better. It's smooth and fast compared to the Samsung. Netflix was snappier too and loaded the movie covers much faster.

I'll update my experience after I've used it for a while. I can not wait for TRON: Legacy to be released; should be a treat!

·
Registered
366 Posts
These are simple questions but I would like feedback. I'm looking at purchasing the 110 model but would like a few comments about operational speed, chapter skip, fast forward, and other basic functions.

My question is, how does the loading compare to last years models? Does anyone have any comparisons the Sony x70 series and how that feels for basic operation, loading, etc? When skipping a chapter, is it instant? Is FF and rewind responsive like the Sony?

Basically I'm looking at replacing my Sony 370 for this one, but want to make sure its at least close in just the basic operation and loading. Any help feedback would be welcome.

·
Registered
20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeltscott /forum/post/20221840

I wanted to check whether the BDT110 now has access to the 3rd HD encoding (presumably 1080p) that the PS3 does, but my supposedly-25-Mbps Cox network connection is not presently good enough--I was getting the lower rate 2.6 Mbps 720p encoding, though I might have been seeing higher rates for an instant here and there
. I'll try it later.

How are you able to determine what rate you are getting from the bdt110?

·
Registered
20,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Addict /forum/post/20227789

How are you able to determine what rate you are getting from the bdt110?

I have a venerable old Linksys WRT54G on which I'm running the public domain Tomato firmware. Tomato has a realtime bandwidth graph. I've been running experiments, streaming films from various sources (Netflix, VUDU, Zune, Amazon) to various streaming devices that I have (PS3, Xbox 360, BDT110, TiVo S3, Roku XD and this PC) while displaying that bandwidth monitor--my LAN is otherwise unused. Then I capturing screen grabs of the bandwidth monitor graphs at the same point in the stream, as precisely as I can manage by hand. I've been using some titles that have very high action sequences at the beginning . You can see some of this here , with a continuation of that series a few post down here .

You can ask for a report of current quality level from the PS3--it puts a little bit of text up in the upper left corner. For video quality it says Low/SD, Med/SD, High/SD, Med/HD, High/HD and X-High/HD. According to the Netflixhelps Twitter account, X-High/HD should indicate 1080p. though in my experience it will show up for any HD film. If you change the PS3's settings such that it's limited to 720p screen resolution, Netflix streams will never get to X-High/HD. In those graphs in the post that I linked to above, the PS3 limited to 720p averages 4.34 Mbps for that 10 minute slice of the film; with resolution set to 1080p, it hits 5.80 Mbps (a 33% increase). That 10 minute section of the same film stream to the BDT110 hits about 4.3 Mbps whether resolution is set to 720p or 1080p. (I start a stopwatch as soon as video appears after I press PLAY and do the screen capture as precisely as I can the same amount of time after that; I use the 10 minute width of the monitor window plus a bit to ensure that I've skipped differences in start-up buffering, so for those I stopped at minute 13, leaving the first couple of minutes out).

I repeated that yesterday after upgrading to 1.56 firmware and saw no difference. (I used a new title, Ong Bak 2: The Beginning, because it's a very high quality Netflix encoding with 5.1 sound and is available on VUDU, Amazon and Zune as well so I can make apples-to-apples comparisons. My old gold standard, The Good, the Bad, the Weird, was pretty much only available from Netflix. I plan to post those in their own thread). Maybe Sony has some temporary exclusive on the 1080p encodings.

·
Registered
179 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ7 /forum/post/20227617

I mailed it on 3/5. The date on my receipt was 3/1. The kids and I watched the first hour this evening on our projector (JVC RS40) and it was really good

Thanks. I bought my 210 March 1st and mailed right around the 5th. Still haven't gotten it. Hopefully soon...

·
Registered
5,454 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by port440 /forum/post/20227248

Just received a BDT210 today and noticed there are no remote codes for non-Panasonic TVs. (Power, Volume, Source) Last year's BDT85 had them and they worked on the Hitachi TV I've got. The 210 manual refers only to Panasonic TVs so it looks like that operability does not include other brands anymore.

Anyone succeed in reprogramming the BDT210 TV remote buttons? I found it a useful feature on the BDT85.

First post here, very helpful thread

I am sorry this is slightly off topic but as an owner of BD85, how do you compare the video/audio quality of it vs the 210?

661 - 680 of 8605 Posts