AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 1573 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson /forum/post/13530971

I've always wondered, what makes a thread "Official"?

The same thing that makes Snickers the official candy bar of the US Olympic Figure Skating Team?

·
Registered
78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/13531731

I personally kinda like the "official" title. It looks better that say something like "Target now has the EZ-48 now on sale"
or something like that. Truthfully my favorite title would be something like the regular 3575 thread or the EZ-47 thread which incorporates features of the unit. eg. QAM/ATSC etc. Either way it's nice for the EZ-48 to have a dedicated thread now. IMO

Hi, you might be referring to my thread about the new Panasonic model. If that was a sort of jab at my attempt to share information, let me explain what I was doing. I really didn't feel I was qualified or authorized to start an "official" thread when I mentioned the new models for sale at BestBuy. I just thought people looking for the new model would like to know who's got it. I figure the "official" ones can be left for the people who actually own one and thus could comment on its features. However, I really don't know the "rules" regarding such things, other than that I tried to be careful not to mention pricing.

Thanks, and hope that clears things up for you.

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
No not you in particular. I've just seen various threads in this and other forums that have become the main one for a particular model that in hind site seem kind of funny. I wasn't trying to jab you in any way. Currently their are a couple other threads referencing Walmart in the title that have also become the main thread for that model. Sorry if you took offense.
none intended.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I hope this is a simple question for the technophiles!

I'm not going the traditional TV route.

I'm connecting my DMR-EZ48VK to my Dell UltraSharp 2408WFP Monitor (1920 x 1200) via HDMI cable. Upon connecting a cable input via the coaxial input, will I be able to view the cable through the HDMI cable/monitor connection?

The operator's manual is vary vague concerning the HDMI connection. It show when connecting the HDMI cable to also connect the RCA cables (Audio R & L and Video). If the HDMI cable transfers uncompressed digital video and audio, I don't see why the RCA connections are necessary.

I plan on connecting wireless headphone to my little system. The monitor has a HDMI 2.1 Audio Out connection. Should I utilize this as my audio source? Suggestions?

Thank you in advance!

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
Some TV's do not support audio over HDMI. If yours does not you will need the separate audio cables. My TV supports audio over HDMI so I do not use the audio cables.

If you're using the HDMI cable their will be no need for the yellow video cable, not sure what thats about.

Not sure about your wireless headphones, but if your monitor has the audio out that sounds good. It should also probably be controlled by your monitor's volume control, which may or may not be desirable. If not desirable hook it up to the DVDR's audio out, which is fixed.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by KilroyWasHere /forum/post/13562421

The operator's manual is vary vague concerning the HDMI connection. It show when connecting the HDMI cable to also connect the RCA cables (Audio R & L and Video). If the HDMI cable transfers uncompressed digital video and audio, I don't see why the RCA connections are necessary.

Disclaimer: I don't have an HD monitor so I have not been able to test this, but this is based on my interpretation of the manual.

Under normal circumstances, you will be able to view both the DVD and VHS playback on the HDMI output, however, if you are trying to record to the DVD and play the VHS at the same time, the VHS playback will only appear on the DVD/VHS Common Output.

·
Registered
3 Posts
JJeff,

Thanks for the input. The monitor has a HDMI 2.1 Audio Out connection. I wasn't able to find anything about this standard. Therefore, I'm probably going to connect the wireless base to the DMR-EZ48VK via RCA connection.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rperlberg /forum/post/13562626

Disclaimer: I don't have an HD monitor so I have not been able to test this, but this is based on my interpretation of the manual.

Under normal circumstances, you will be able to view both the DVD and VHS playback on the HDMI output, however, if you are trying to record to the DVD and play the VHS at the same time, the VHS playback will only appear on the DVD/VHS Common Output.

rperlberg,

Thank you for your input. This was my understanding also. I'm not really looking to watch VHS. I'm going to dub my VHS to DVD. My major concern was if the cable signal provided by coax would port via the HDMI cable and what would happen to the audio signal.

Between jjeff's and your input, I do believe that my thought process is acurate and everything is going to work great. I'll post again after testing the finished system upon delivery of the monitor.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
Kilroy-Just keep in mind rperlberg's point about VHS output. I know what he's talking about. On my ES-30 you can get, say the VHS to come out the component outputs but not if trying to record a DVD(of something different) at the same time. It has to due with the way they get the VHS signal to the component outputs. It has to go through the DVD circuitry (and if the DVD is recording something else) that cannot be done.

I hadn't thought about that until rperlberg pointed it out. I'm sure that's why they have you hook up both HDMI and composite(and RCA audio as well).

Note it you aren't ever going to do this then you don't need the composite or RCA audio cables. It's just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
Haven't seen any side by side comparisons of the EZ-48 to the EZ-47, but dhjellen did a excellent comparison of the EZ-28 to the EZ-27. Note these are DVDR's only and do not have the VHS. I would assume the DVDR features would be similar on all of them.

Here's a link for his comparison
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1007613

maybe someone else has both of the 4 series and will post their findings to better answer your question.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have a lot of VHS tapes to copy, and I'm researching machines to do this. I want to get rid of the tapes after copying to give me more room; the tapes just take up too much space. The DMR-EZ48V is one of them. A couple of real noob questions: Can this copy protected tapes? Since the copying will be done unattended, how is the auto tape tracking on this unit? Quick and accurate? Is there some other machine by any other mfr. that might be better than this unit for what I want to do? (I really don't want to tie up my computer for days on end using it to do this job.) All replies appreciated. (i.e., What would you do?) Thanks.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
I don't think any current DVDR will copy Copy-protected tapes without an inline filter.

As far as units to research, click on my signature for the Philips DVDR3575H/37, which has a 160GB HDD and NTSC/ATSC/QAM tuners, so editing will be easier and you'll be able to tune digital channels, so a sort of "future-proofing." No VHS player but you've prob. already got one or more of those?

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
Also a advantage to separates is it will be easier to use a external filter for your CP'd tapes. You can use a filter with this Panasonic combo(unlike most all other brands) but it's not very convenient.

·
Registered
28 Posts
wajo - Thanks for the info. A lot of reading you've provided.... I'll have to study it later. Your suggestion seems to be a very practical one. Do you think the 3575 refurbished model is an OK way to go? Will any copy protection encoded on the VHS tapes present a problem recording to the HDD? Does it prevent subsequent recording to DVD?

jjeff - sounds like a need an external filter.... Any sources?

·
Registered
11,517 Posts
If the tapes are CP'd you will need a filter recording to either the 3575(both HDD or DVD) or Panasonic, or any DVDR. Here's a link to a thread talking about various filters.
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=990948

If you have lots of editing the HDD would probably be the way to go. If you're trying to go cheap something like a Panasonic ES-15 would also work well(2 year old model). It can sometimes be had NIB for ~$100. It only has a analog tuner though, if that matters to you. It's a simple unit that makes great recordings. I have 2

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtop /forum/post/13574124

wajo - Thanks for the info. A lot of reading you've provided.... I'll have to study it later. Your suggestion seems to be a very practical one. Do you think the 3575 refurbished model is an OK way to go? Will any copy protection encoded on the VHS tapes present a problem recording to the HDD? Does it prevent subsequent recording to DVD?

The only real problem the 3575 has had is with holding digital channel tuning when used in an analog cable system, and Comcast seems to be the worst. ~38-40 of people in an analog cable system had some sort of tuning loss... one of mine loses it if I surf madly, 50-60 round trips, thru the digital channels, but I can always get it back by toggling the DTV/analog button. Actually, I have ZERO problems in my TW analog system cuz I NORMALLY use it like a NORMAL person.

The refurbs seem to be a great buy with most people happy with them, only the last two got the tuning problem with their analog cable systems. If you go that route, suggest you call the Philips Outlet store at the tel. # on 1st page of my link... they seem to have intermittent problems keeping their web page up. They cost $199 with free shipping.

If you're OTA or Sat, or even digital cable, you should be fine and the 3575 should serve you quite well!

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtop /forum/post/13573865

Since the copying will be done unattended, how is the auto tape tracking on this unit? Quick and accurate?

It depends on the tape. It usually takes the machine about 10-15 seconds to lock in the tracking, depending on how far out of sync the original recorder was. If it doesn't lock in, you can force it by holding the channel up and down buttons simultaneously. This can actually be done from the remote, which I have not seen on any other machine. Once it's locked in, it tracks pretty well, even if the tracking on the tape fluctuates. In situations where the tracking fluctuates too much, you can usually find a manual tracking setting that keeps most of the noise off the screen. I would recommend that you view the tape first to check the tracking, then roll it back and start the copy.

The real problem is when you have a tape that was recorded on multiple machines with differing adjustment. Although the machine will lock in at the beginning of the tape, when it gets to a point where a recording starts that requires a different tracking adjustment, it often fails to detect this and just keeps using the adjustment for the previous segment. In other words, you get a screen-full of completely worthless noise for the whole segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxtop /forum/post/13573865

What would you do?

Since you asked, :), I would find a way to keep your original tapes. Depending on just how important this material is to you, I would never trust a copy of any kind. The way things are going these days, there's bound to be some other format coming down the pike in 10-20 years, or even less, and, if possible, you're going to want to copy your tapes to that format without introducing another generation of distortion. I still have my parents' wedding on 8mm film (yes, that's FILM) even though I copied it to VHS years ago.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Purchased my EZ48VK tonight & cannot figure out how to use the tuner to get picture in picture.

i bought the display & unfortunately it didn't come with the manual.

Can you get picture in picture (pip)?

And how do you get the clock on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedT2008 /forum/post/13584519

Purchased my EZ48VK tonight & cannot figure out how to use the tuner to get picture in picture.

i bought the display & unfortunately it didn't come with the manual.

Can you get picture in picture (pip)?

And how do you get the clock on?

Thanks in advance for any help.

'PiP' occurs when using the Time Slip feature, on recordings made on RAM discs. When recording to RAM, you can wait several minutes after recording starts, and then press the TimeSlip button and the program starts playing and the 'pip' window is displayed in the corner.

Use the arrow buttons to set increments of time, to move forward or back thru the program, or entire disc. Example-you come in 30 mins into a recording, and you don't want to start at the beginning, you press the 'down arrow' repeatedly, to set the number of minutes to go backwards, pressing the ENTER button to initiate. During non recording playback of shows on the disc, you can set minutes with the 'up arrow' to move forward thru the disc.

You can also change the channels in the pip window-just use the ch up/down button, or key in the ch number and press ENTER.

TimeSlip does not work on finalized discs, or commercial store bought dvds, or on the vcr side.

Setting the clock must be done thruogh the Functions menu. You must set the recorder to the DVD side, then press the FUNCTIONS button, to look for Set Up.

21 - 40 of 1573 Posts