AVS Forum banner

1001 - 1020 of 1573 Posts

·
Registered
15,143 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo /forum/post/17257369

I've read through this thread and it appears that most of the failed units were heavily used for multiple purposes. I'm looking at picking up an EZ48/485 merely to extract and transmit via HDMI the closed captions from the occasional DVD or VHS I'll be watching. I have no intention of using the recording or copying functions. Has anyone had problems using the EZ48/485 as an occasional DVD/VHS player -- like 2-3 times per week? If they don't work well in that limited capacity it appears there is no other option.

I've had zero problems with my 48 under light use. By light I mean archiving a few shows from my DVR to DVD over S-video a couple of times per week for the past year or so. I don't use any timers or the tuner at all. I have made several VHS transfers as well. I did use it very heavily the first few months to transfer several home movies from Digital8 to DVD. Maybe 100 or so discs altogether.

I didn't use it much as a player, but didn't have any issues in that regard either. It upconverts nicely and even plays Divx.

All that being said, it's a complete waste of money to buy a recorder if you don't plan on any recording. Is it's caption ability really unique? There's really not much advantage to using HDMI for VHS. You may as well use composite for the VCR and just get a cheap DVD player with HDMI. If you can live with S-video, I've got a Go Video DVD/VHS combo in excellent condition that you can have really cheap. PM me if you're interested.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After reading alot of these posts I feel like seniorguy. Does all of this mean I can't record to DVD while watching another channel?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by plmbst /forum/post/17291796

After reading alot of these posts I feel like seniorguy. Does all of this mean I can't record to DVD while watching another channel?

This depends upon a number of factors, including:

Does your TV have a digital tuner? If not, does your TV have composite inputs (yellow video and white/red audio) in addition to the threaded RF input?

How do your receive your programming? This may include digital broadcast stations received by antenna, low power analog community or translator broadcast stations received by antenna, cable service with a direct coax cable connection, cable service with a converter box (that has several output options) or Digital Transport Adapter (DTA) with only a threaded RF output, or through a satellite receiver?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdjny /forum/post/17239552

ComCast is going completely digital in our area, forcing me to use one of their digital adapters, which means scheduled recordings are going to become a nightmare.

Thanks.

maybe a nightmare, but possibly not so bad. If you can get a set top box from comcast that will accept 'record program' commands - it will remember to change channels for you. The bad (but not nightmarish) news is that you then have to set the recorder to turn on and off at the appointed time(s) so if you do a lot of recordings you may have to make a list. - it's a two-step process, but it works pretty well since the recorder is always recording the line input and the comcast channel line up seems to remember what was supposed to be happening in time to change. I haven't figured out a way to get the messages (like "changing channel in two minutes' warnings ) to not record, but otherwise, it turned out to be easier than I expected.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/17240050

Sigh..my diva done did me wrong!

... Meanwhile, my ez47, which was banished to another room when I got the 48 last December, is smirking. It's tuner still picks up those channels. It will no doubt punish me for abandoning it for the diva by acting up when I go to use it more. It's behaved itself well after the 48 moved in...I just know it's gonna stick it to me good.

Funny post! Think it's worth sending the Diva back for a tuneup or are you just ditching it? If you got it in December, it is probably still be covered under warranty -- which is not to say another of the same model will work better... maybe you can negotiate and get P to send you a nonEZ replacement?

PS for what it's worth, comcast here started changing the numbers again and what used to be 22-1, for example, just became 22-34. Hrmph. Wild guess, but I'm wondering if there may be a setting that sets the number of tuner characters on that EX48 /remote? Maybe it's pooping out at 3 digits when it needs 4 to find the channels now. Just a guess, but ... maybe worth another look. I'm getting the same stations at totally different numbers on various machines - they're all "seeing" the raw coax feed differently and assigning different numbers to the same station. If you're not sending it back to the glue factory, might be worth playing around with it a little, or attaching another dvd, vcr, etc as line in, just to retain some of the play/copy functionality (while using an external tuner).

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
^^ The ez48 was bought used off ebay, and I didn't go for the extra warranty offered by Square Trade unfortunately.

And the channel loss may not be her fault after all. My 19' Phillips LCD with QAM tuner and the 47 have also lost those same 3 channels this week. Why it took longer than the 48 is a mystery. Maybe it's tuner isn't as sensitive as the diva's. So it looks like a signal strength issue with ConCrap...which means headache inducing phone calls to them Monday.

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/17292944

^^ The ez48 was bought used off ebay, and I didn't go for the extra warranty offered by Square Trade unfortunately.

And the channel loss may not be her fault after all. My 19' Phillips LCD with QAM tuner and the 47 have also lost those same 3 channels this week. Why it took longer than the 48 is a mystery. Maybe it's tuner isn't as sensitive as the diva's. So it looks like a signal strength issue with ConCrap...which means headache inducing phone calls to them Monday.

You can easily test for a digital signal that's too strong, which can send channel(s) over the "digital cliff," with a "hang-by-a-thread" test, as described here .

·
Registered
4 Posts
Wow! Thanks for the quick reply.

My DMR-EZ485V is about 18 months old. Purchased to avoid buying a converter box before the digital revolution. I had been using it with an older analog set and it functioned like a VCR (although I was recording on the DVD side with DVD-RW discs), i.e. I could record while watching another channel or set up a timer recording session. I now have a Sony Bravia LCD set . No doubt about it, the picture is better, but the learning curve is steep. I rarely use the VCR side.

I do not have cable or satellite and get acceptable reception from an attic mounted antennae with a Radio Shack rotator.

All this was due to the kids thinking Dad has to loose those VCR tapes. Well, I didn't need too many tapes because I just taped over the previous shows (hence the -RW discs).

Thanks again.

My antennae enters the DVD recorder first, and then goes to TV. I also have an HDMI cable between the recorder and TV, would adding yhe R Y & W cables be of any added value?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/17292944

. Maybe it's tuner isn't as sensitive as the diva's. So it looks like a signal strength issue with ConCrap...which means headache inducing phone calls to them Monday.

Another possible explanation is they just shuffled the line up - I lost a lot of Com stations that were been coming in great - some blipped off and I found them at other 'addresses" but a few disappeared entirely - even a full channel scan shows they are nowhere to be found (or are scrambled now). Might be the same issue that's plaguing yours - might not be the fault of the equipment!

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/17293026

You can easily test for a digital signal that's too strong, which can send channel(s) over the "digital cliff," with a "hang-by-a-thread" test, as described here .

Gave that a try, and no show. The trio-all sub channels of local broadcast affiliates are still MIA. One of the stations has a second sub ch that still comes in fine. And I did rescan on the 48 when I noticed they were blank. So I'm thinking it's something going on at the utility pole. Cable reception today has shown periodic interference most of the afternoon. And my brother mentioned he's seen it go grainy during the daytime during the week. I haven't recorded anything during the day to have noticed problems.

So, a call to ConCrap is definitely in order.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/17294468

And my brother mentioned he's seen it go grainy during the daytime during the week. I haven't recorded anything during the day to have noticed problems.

So, a call to ConCrap is definitely in order.

I noticed that some stations here seem to only send HD out in the evening around here -- it flips over from SD to super sharp and small to big (480 to 1080i) around prime time news on some stations. Not sure if it's a local station issue or a cc cable "policy", but it's silly....

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
^^Most daytime shows-as well as reruns, aren't in widescreen, so the stations send out 4:3 imagines. Only the soap Young and the Restless is produced in widescreen.

And I was referring to analog basic channels having the periods of grainy interference, not just the hi def locals.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePadgett /forum/post/17301362

General Hospital is also widescreen.

Ah...so it is. Home today and checked to see. So these 2 soaps and Oprah are about all I've noticed that are in widescreen.

As for the other matter I've been having, I must offer up mea culpas to the diva, my EZ48.

The loss of 3 local station digitals turned out not to be her fault after all. It was a faulty 'tap' at the utility pole-the 3rd such time in at least 4 years it's had to be replaced. The absent digis are back after a channel rescan, and ConCrap service has returned to normal-meaning often grainy and over compressed analog picture quality. Yep, like I said, normal!

Westly-C:
Gulp, erm...I'm sorry, gurl.

EZ48:
Toldja it wasn't me fool!

EZ47:
Darn, he's gonna dump me for her again?! Why couldn't it have been her fault?

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our dvd recordin' lives...

·
Registered
25 Posts
This thread is so huge I can't get an idea of how the pros vs cons compare. Is the EZ48 really that bad?

I record shows on three different units in different rooms of my house and also watch them later in different rooms(both VHS and DVD-RAM). I've read that many prefer the Magnavox H2160, but I'm not sure how I would use the hard drive if I'm changing my location. I currently own two ES30V and a VCR. My ES30V's have been having issues so I was looking for a replacement to get rid of the VCR and move one ES30V to the room used the least. After reading the forums, I've cleaned one hub/spindle and things hopefully will improve.

I know the unit has to be turned off for timer recordings(yuk!)

VHS to DVD can no longer be done the same as the ES30V.

Can someone list out the other problems with EZ48?

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Overall I'd say it was just quirky. If you're use to a ES-30v (IMO the best combo Panasonic made(other than the HDD equipped EH-75v)) I'd say you would not be satisfied with a EZ-48v. While a ES-30v with a clean spindle is basically 100% reliable to record your event, a EZ-48v is not. If you're OK with an occasional lockup or missed event it may work for you otherwise I'd look elsewhere. If you can get by without the VCR side I'd suggest a EZ-28 which has proven more reliable. I had a couple EZ-28's for a few months and only had a couple minor issues. My uncle had 3 EZ-48's within a week, all would lock up requiring unplugging just during a channel scan edit
After his bout with the EZ-48v's I talked him into a Magnavox 2160a(with HDD) and he hasn't had a problem since.

You are correct about the HDD machines though, it's really easiest to play/record on the same machine but of course you could always make a High Speed copy of whatevers on the HDD to DVD, going to a RW disc for later use will take about 1/2 or 1/4th the time of your program(unless you program was done on a slower speed). Copying to a use once R disc is significantly faster.

One note if switching brands, only another Panasonic will play your unfinalized DVDs, the Maggy will play only finalized DVDs from your Panasonic and visa versa, you'd have to finalize DVDs in a Maggy to play in a Panasonic. Well I guess +RWs may be the exception since they don't really need to be finalized, oh and the Maggy like almost all new DVDRs won't play/Record to your RAM discs.

Lastly, the Maggy doesn't need to be OFF to start a scheduled event
It's one bug (with the current 2160A model) is you cannot finalize or format discs if you have a scheduled event programmed, the older non A models or similar Philips 3575/6 did not have this bug.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenT /forum/post/17319279

I currently own two ES30V and a VCR. My ES30V's have been having issues so I was looking for a replacement to get rid of the VCR and move one ES30V to the room used the least.

If the spindle cleaning didn't do the trick, it might be worth sending one of these ES30Vs back to panasonic to let them refurb it for you -- cheaper than getting a new (worse) model.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwire /forum/post/17321113

If the spindle cleaning didn't do the trick, it might be worth sending one of these ES30Vs back to panasonic to let them refurb it for you -- cheaper than getting a new (worse) model.

Information concerning the Panasonic $130 flat-rate repair is found here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1056657

·
Registered
45 Posts
May I emphasize again that there is a real problem with the EZ48's internal digital tuner? The last 3 units I have bought and returned ALL had faulty tuners. Within a few days, the image would dim, get brighter for a few seconds, then dim again, etc.

Caveat emptor, to put it mildly. Please save yourself the hassle if you're thinking of buying this model.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts
Jeez. You would think that a usually respectable company like Panasonic would be ashamed to put their name on these things.

I really do not get how they continue to sell stuff like this if such a high percentage of them is going to get returned. Sure, they re-package them right up and sell them cheaper, but can they still be making money on these? Is it even worth it at all?

I guess if they're still making and selling them, they must be - although I imagine many people that return one don't even want to bother with another one of that brand ever again. They're probably taking into account the whole global sales (although I have to wonder if all of them everywhere else are as badly-made now, too).

1001 - 1020 of 1573 Posts