AVS Forum banner

1021 - 1040 of 1573 Posts

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I believe the EZ's are only sold in the US. The rest of the world uses a different platform other than LSI, Panasonics own I believe.

I'm not solely putting the blame on LSI, they're supposed to have one of the best encoders available, it's just Panasonic's implementation of the LSI silicon(IMO).

Thanks for the update BrucePadgett, it's always nice to hear from actual EZ-48v owners both + and -.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammitinski /forum/post/17336385

Jeez. You would think that a usually respectable company like Panasonic would be ashamed to put their name on these things.

I really do not get how they continue to sell stuff like this

And continue at the original price too. It's still $288 new, barring sales prices at a handful of online stores. After over 2 years, you'd think they'd drop under $200.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrucePadgett /forum/post/17336150

May I emphasize again that there is a real problem with the EZ48's internal digital tuner? The last 3 units I have bought and returned ALL had faulty tuners. Within a few days, the image would dim, get brighter for a few seconds, then dim again, etc.

Caveat emptor, to put it mildly. Please save yourself the hassle if you're thinking of buying this model.

Yet folks still buy these Panasonic EZ series combo recorders!

Before anyone in the Seattle/Tacoma area buys an EZ series combo recorder they should take a look at this DMR-EH75 HDD/VHS/DVD recorder that's been advertised on and off for several months now:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ele/1411237093.html

Each new listing drops the price. It's now down to $230 and the seller is still mentioning "PRICE IS NEGOTIABLE."

I'm in Portland, a three hour drive to Seattle. I would buy this myself but I already own two Philips HDD/DVD recorders, four Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders, two Magnavox VHS/DVD recorders and fifteen Panasonic DVD recorders and combo recorders.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have been advised that the EZ28 is much more reliable than the EZ48. Aren't they the same except the 48 has a VCR? Why would the tuner on the 28 be more reliable?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenT /forum/post/17340867

I have been advised that the EZ28 is much more reliable than the EZ48. Aren't they the same except the 48 has a VCR? Why would the tuner on the 28 be more reliable?

There are substantial differences to the chip-based operating systems of Panasonic combo recorders and DVD recorders. One difference is that Panasonic combo recorders may be switched between an unmodulated and modulated RF output. DVD recorders such as the DMR-EZ28 have unmodulated RF outputs.

The differences are in the details. Those differences make the DMR-EZ28 a decent DVD recorder and the DMR-EZ48V a nightmare.

The slogan for the Packard motor car in the classic era was, "Ask The Man Who Owns One."

DMR-EZ48V and DMR-EZ28V owners have spoken. Potential purchasers should listen.

·
Registered
25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/17320630

Overall I'd say it was just quirky. If you're use to a ES-30v (IMO the best combo Panasonic made(other than the HDD equipped EH-75v)) I'd say you would not be satisfied with a EZ-48v. While a ES-30v with a clean spindle is basically 100% reliable to record your event, a EZ-48v is not. If you're OK with an occasional lockup or missed event it may work for you otherwise I'd look elsewhere. If you can get by without the VCR side I'd suggest a EZ-28 which has proven more reliable. I had a couple EZ-28's for a few months and only had a couple minor issues. My uncle had 3 EZ-48's within a week, all would lock up requiring unplugging just during a channel scan edit
After his bout with the EZ-48v's I talked him into a Magnavox 2160a(with HDD) and he hasn't had a problem since.

You are correct about the HDD machines though, it's really easiest to play/record on the same machine but of course you could always make a High Speed copy of whatevers on the HDD to DVD, going to a RW disc for later use will take about 1/2 or 1/4th the time of your program(unless you program was done on a slower speed). Copying to a use once R disc is significantly faster.

One note if switching brands, only another Panasonic will play your unfinalized DVDs, the Maggy will play only finalized DVDs from your Panasonic and visa versa, you'd have to finalize DVDs in a Maggy to play in a Panasonic. Well I guess +RWs may be the exception since they don't really need to be finalized, oh and the Maggy like almost all new DVDRs won't play/Record to your RAM discs.

Lastly, the Maggy doesn't need to be OFF to start a scheduled event
It's one bug (with the current 2160A model) is you cannot finalize or format discs if you have a scheduled event programmed, the older non A models or similar Philips 3575/6 did not have this bug.

So if I get the Magnavox 2160 and need to burn from HDD to DVD to watch on my DMR-ES30V, how long will that take? Lets say I've recorded to HDD 4 one hour shows. I'd first copy to a DVD(-RW or +RW, which is better for ES30V playback?). "1/2 or 1/4th the time of your program"-Do you mean 1-2 hours? Then I need to finalize? So how long will the whole process take?

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
I've read the 2160a has a 8x burner, although if going to RW discs the disc will probably the limiting factor, I think they're usually only 4x.

The ES-30v does NOT play +RW discs, you'll need to use -RW discs. I'll let a current owner of a 2160a give you the exact times for what you're asking.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColleenT /forum/post/17342610

So if I get the Magnavox 2160 and need to burn from HDD to DVD to watch on my DMR-ES30V, how long will that take? Lets say I've recorded to HDD 4 one hour shows. I'd first copy to a DVD(-RW or +RW, which is better for ES30V playback?). "1/2 or 1/4th the time of your program"-Do you mean 1-2 hours? Then I need to finalize? So how long will the whole process take?

Do not attempt to use a DVD+RW disc on any 2005 model year Panasonic models. By mistake I placed a DVD+RW disc in my first DMR-ES30V back in late September 2005. When I attempted to record on that disc there was such a screeching that I thought the machine was going to explode. That was a brutal exercise for the DMR-ES30V laser assembly. Disc utilization advice is found on page 6 of the DMR-ES30V Operating Instructions.

With my Magnavox 2160 models high-speed dubbing of a full or nearly full disc normally takes around twenty minutes including around three minutes for finalization. Discs dubbed on a Magnavox must be finalized before they may be played on a Panasonic.

For best laser assembly longevity it's better to play DVDs on DVD players, not on DVD recorders.

·
Registered
8 Posts
this forums rules and log in requirments to ask questions arre really gettting on my nerves, i am on many audio forums and this is one seems to be very

annoying, hopefully they will lax on the unneeded red tape!

\\

·
Registered
8 Posts
anyone know if panasonics blu ray rcorders freeze up like their stupid dvd recorders,,,, and i fthey (panny) have a dvdr that dosent freeze up please let me know cuz PQ i sgood,,, but not worth pulling yhour hair out,,,, i hear sony gx360 and the gx 260(ithink) suck asswell,,,,,for dvd recording ,,, i also hear toshiba pq isnt as good as panny,,, what about magnavox?

i totally loved my boyhood magnavox vcr, lasted almosst 15 year so i tthnk ill give their dvdr a shot,, unless someone has a warning thankyou

·
Registered
8 Posts
and for sony blurays;;; worth the price,,,,, ??their hybrid first model didnt play store bought blurays, bu they then had an update that fixed problem unfortunatley i hear it was an arduous one

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcurly /forum/post/17375519

i hear sony gx360 and the gx 260(ithink) suck asswell,,,,,for dvd recording ,,, i also hear toshiba pq isnt as good as panny,,, what about magnavox?

i totally loved my boyhood magnavox vcr, lasted almosst 15 year so i tthnk ill give their dvdr a shot,, unless someone has a warning thankyou

Sony recorders probably suck in the disc tray as well as any other brand. As to performance beyond opening and closing the disc tray the Sony recorders have serious problems with "copy protection." If you want a recorder that actually records, it's best to avoid the Sony models.

In recent years Toshiba and Magnavox recorders, as with several other brands, have been manufactured by Funai.

Currently, the best product in the US market is the Magnavox 2160 HDD/DVD recorder.

Start your inquiry with the first post in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

·
Registered
11,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder696969 /forum/post/17370186

Your wish is half-fulfilled. DMP-BD60 for $125 at Amazon.com right now: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...5736880&sr=1-1

I don't know much about BR players but if Kelson was interested in this model it's probably pretty good and you can't beat the price. For more BR recommendations I'd check the BR forum here on AVS.

The above quote was from the Media Deals This Week thread.

·
Registered
8 Posts
WOW! after having the ez-485vk 4 bout a year i said enough, after throwing out all my vhs tapes(400 tapes) i actually feel relieved, i am know getting rid of the 485k,,,siimpy se of the U99 Error,

-------PQ is great , taasook great, coped dvd's great even whs to dvd great,,HOWEVER,,,,,, when switching between hdmi from direct tv dvr and pannasonic ez 485vk, it freezes with the u99 error,(actually it sound and appears to be working fine except controls arre all locked and youo cant see progress so you must restart.power on off,,,,, now i wpould get u999 from time to time with other tasks but really not that much,,,,,but when you switch between HDMI channels on you lcd tv, youll get the u99 like clockwork,, and alot of times you wont get it and then youll get repeatedly,, ..it varies and is so annoying and awful icant believe im takin time to write this and relieve the horrid experience,,,,,,,,,,

--------------this may help u-----------------------------

the only way to succesfully avoid this u99 error was simple, you must not switch between hdmi channels to and from while copying a dvd,,,,, this requires you to watch your DVR and not your dvdr while recording,or vice versa, do not switch while recording and u wont get u99 i found!!!!!

----------but yes it so annoying because you have to know and time exactly what your recording and if your doing VHS-------> DVD, then you almost have to and are stuck with watching the tape thru to be 100% safe, missing out on live tv.......

;;;;;;;;;all in all i decide to get rid of it and now i will try the EA-18k,,, cant believe im giving panasonic another chance to win me over, but ive read and read and read that the Errors and freeze ups are mainly with the EZ models and not with the ES models,,,,but what the hell is the EA model????????????????????????someone help

also, i def. will try the ES series if EA no good, but someone please let me know if any of the ES seris models can do dual or double layer discs DL???????????????????and do the ES do 8x discs???????????????????

oh and of course will the EA-18k do 8x discs and DL disc recordings???????????

i read someone say the ea-18 k will not do 8x discs, but i think it may do these, only it will do minus DL and not positve DL,,,,,,(and screw that whole stupid industry for being so damn confusing with their names.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedcurly /forum/post/17379336

WOW! after having the ez-485vk 4 bout a year i said enough i am know getting rid of the 485k,,,siimpy se of the U99 Error,

-------PQ is great , taasook great, coped dvd's great even whs to dvd great,,HOWEVER,,,,,, when switching between hdmi from direct tv dvr and pannasonic ez 485vk, it freezes with the u99 error,(actually it sound and appears to be working fine except controls arre all locked and youo cant see progress so you must restart.power on off,,,,, now i wpould get u999 from time to time with other tasks but really not that much,,,,,but when you switch between HDMI channels on you lcd tv, youll get the u99 like clockwork,, and alot of times you wont get it and then youll get repeatedly,, ..it varies and is so annoying and awful icant believe im takin time to write this and relieve the horrid experience,,,,,,,,,,

--------------this may help u-----------------------------

the only way to succesfully avoid this u99 error was simple, you must not switch between hdmi channels to and from while copying a dvd,,,,, this requires you to watch your DVR and not your dvdr while recording,or vice versa, do not switch while recording and u wont get u99 i found!!!!!

----------but yes it so annoying because you have to know and time exactly what your recording and if your doing VHS-------> DVD, then you almost have to and are stuck with watching the tape thru to be 100% safe, missing out on live tv.......

;;;;;;;;;all in all i decide to get rid of it and now i will try the EA-18k,,, cant believe im giving panasonic another chance to win me over, but ive read and read and read that the Errors and freeze ups are mainly with the EZ models and not with the ES models,,,,but what the hell is the EA model????????????????????????someone help

also, i def. will try the ES series if EA no good, but someone please let me know if any of the ES seris models can do dual or double layer discs DL???????????????????and do the ES do 8x discs???????????????????

oh and of course will the EA-18k do 8x discs and DL disc recordings???????????

i read someone say the ea-18 k will not do 8x discs, but i think it may do these, only it will do minus DL and not positve DL,,,,,,(and screw that whole stupid industry for being so damn confusing with their names.

I've added emphasis to some portions of your post that describe HDMI "handshake" issues.

Many earlier posts have described "handshake" issues when using HDMI. You've mentioned the regularity of your DMR-EZ485V model's U99 error when "switching" from one device to another or while copying a DVD. "Switching" confounds the HDMI handshake protocol and is the most likely cause of your DMR-EZ485 model's U99 "communication" error.

The U99 error, plus the U88 and U61 errors, along with some initial remedial measures when device handshake issues are not present, are briefly mentioned in this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...7#post17163187

Whenever HDMI connectivity is utilized "handshake" issues must be carefully considered and understood by the user. Since I do not use HDMI connectivity I have not closely followed the "handshake" discussions.

The Panasonic EA series recorders are tunerless versions of EZ series recorders. According to owners of EA series recorders these models are not so bug-laden as EZ series recorders. Since the tunerless EA series recorders are of limited interest to casual users (and are "overpriced" when compared to similar recorders found in the retail market) they are usually found at online stores specializing in "niche products."

Panasonic ES and EH series recorders were last produced for the USA market in 2006. The outstanding ES combo recorder models were the 2005 DMR-ES30V and the 2006 DMR-ES35V, DMR-ES45V and DMR-ES46V models.

All Panasonics produced in recent years support DL discs. Wajo in his sticky thread, linked below, has provided information that 8x discs place fewer demands on laser assemblies, perhaps (even) promoting greater laser longevity.

Currently, the best recorder found in the US market is the Magnavox 2160 HDD/DVD model. The first post in Wajo's sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning the 2160 and earlier Philips and Magnavox hard drive/DVD recorders:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
As said the EA-18 does support DL and 16x discs. The only ES DVDRs to record to DL discs were the last year of the ES machines, '06 and they also supported 16x discs.

As you said the Panasonics are capable of very good picture quality but the EZ line can be quite trying, of the new line I'd try the EA-18. The problem with the '06 ES series and DL support was you need to close the first layer before recording to the second, this is not very handy for one continuous title. The EH series w/hdd didn't/don't have this limitation. If you're wiling to spend a fair amount of money a international Panasonic is a nice option, check my Sig for more info.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Interestingly enough. The Panasonic HDD equipped EH series could copy one large file onto a DL disk, it cannot record directly to a DL disk. You are limited to recording to the hard disk, and then dub to the DL disk. Strange...

1021 - 1040 of 1573 Posts