AVS Forum banner

1041 - 1060 of 1573 Posts

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
Agreed, can I assume the newer international Panasonics don't have this limitation? I would think so, but you'd probably know for sure.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I bought mine about 1/09. I used it to replace the VCR I had and for its ATSC tuner for my analog TV. Aside from its quirks, I have been very happy with it.

I read thru this thread and noticed some comments that it is best suited for the DVD-RW format rather than the DVD+RW format. Even that the +RW formats may decrease the life of the DVD recorder heads.

Can someone address this. Should I replace my DVD+RW discs with DVD-RW discs for the future.

Thanks for any help on this.

·
Registered
15,136 Posts
How do you view the DVD+RW recordings you make? If you only play them back on the 48 (or a PC), DVD-RAM is actually much better than RW in terms of reliability and write cycles. In any case, I've never heard of any difference in the life of the laser based on disc format. That doesn't make any sense to me.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
I don't believe their should be any more wear and tear on the laser depending on what format disc you use. It has been speculated that 16x R discs require more laser current than 8x but with most RW discs being 4x or under that shouldn't be a problem.

The only reason I wouldn't suggest +RW discs is their odd search speeds on Panasonic DVDRs. Others like +RWs because they don't need to be finalized to be played in players or computers, unless you want a top menu.

As mdavej said RAMs are the best although they cost more and are harder to find and if playing on a player you've got to make sure it will support the RAM format(not very common).

I'd continue to use your +RW discs and if you've been having luck with them you can't do better than that.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg4 /forum/post/17413246

I bought mine about 1/09. I used it to replace the VCR I had and for its ATSC tuner for my analog TV. Aside from its quirks, I have been very happy with it.

I read thru this thread and noticed some comments that it is best suited for the DVD-RW format rather than the DVD+RW format. Even that the +RW formats may decrease the life of the DVD recorder heads.

Can someone address this. Should I replace my DVD+RW discs with DVD-RW discs for the future.

Experience has demonstrated that Panasonics are "friendlier" toward the "-" formats than the "+" formats.

Strictly speaking there are no "recorder heads" in DVD recorders. With DVD Recorders the longevity issue is for the laser assembly. Longevity is (potentially) reduced when using 16x media and extended when using 8x media.

Wajo summarizes information related to laser assembly longevity in the Disc Speed and Effect on DVD and Burner Longevity section of this post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post12298494

In that post Wajo also provides a link to more detailed information.

I own twenty Panasonic DVD recorders. Fifteen were functional at last use. Five of my Panasonics are no longer functional. The non-functional Panasonics have DVD Drives with failed laser assemblies. The models with failed laser assemblies were all used with 16x media.

I no longer use 16x media in any of my functional recorders, the fifteen Panasonics, two Philips and six Magnavox models. The primary media in use in these recorders is Taiyo Yuden Premium Line 8x DVD-R, purchased here:

http://www.supermediastore.com/produ...fset=0&filter=

·
Registered
2 Posts
When I pause the caption disappears. I'd appreciate it if anybody can tell me if there is any way to keep the caption showing during pause.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liang1a /forum/post/17414634

When I pause the caption disappears. I'd appreciate it if anybody can tell me if there is any way to keep the caption showing during pause.

Pausing playback, also pauses the data that's included within the program, so there's no way for the tv to display captions because no cc data is being read by the television.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Quote:
Westly-C wrote:

Pausing playback, also pauses the data that's included within the program, so there's no way for the tv to display captions because no cc data is being read by the television.

I have an old panasonic recorder that can show the caption during pauses. In fact all my older recorders continue to show the caption during pauses. I was hoping that there is some kind of setting I can make to show the caption during pauses. Anyway, thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcatwo /forum/post/17257369

I've read through this thread and it appears that most of the failed units were heavily used for multiple purposes. I'm looking at picking up an EZ48/485 merely to extract and transmit via HDMI the closed captions from the occasional DVD or VHS I'll be watching. I have no intention of using the recording or copying functions. Has anyone had problems using the EZ48/485 as an occasional DVD/VHS player -- like 2-3 times per week? If they don't work well in that limited capacity it appears there is no other option.

I have had some problems using the HDMI to view captions on recorded TV programs. I can't confirm where the problem lies, either recorder or broadcast, but if you're not interested in recording, maybe another machine will be better for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westly-C /forum/post/17302545

Ah...so it is. Home today and checked to see. So these 2 soaps and Oprah are about all I've noticed that are in widescreen.

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the days of our dvd recordin' lives...

Ellen is also available in widescreen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/17320630

Overall I'd say it was just quirky. If you're use to a ES-30v (IMO the best combo Panasonic made(other than the HDD equipped EH-75v)) I'd say you would not be satisfied with a EZ-48v. While a ES-30v with a clean spindle is basically 100% reliable to record your event, a EZ-48v is not. If you're OK with an occasional lockup or missed event it may work for you otherwise I'd look elsewhere. If you can get by without the VCR side I'd suggest a EZ-28 which has proven more reliable. I had a couple EZ-28's for a few months and only had a couple minor issues. My uncle had 3 EZ-48's within a week, all would lock up requiring unplugging just during a channel scan edit
After his bout with the EZ-48v's I talked him into a Magnavox 2160a(with HDD) and he hasn't had a problem since.

You are correct about the HDD machines though, it's really easiest to play/record on the same machine but of course you could always make a High Speed copy of whatevers on the HDD to DVD, going to a RW disc for later use will take about 1/2 or 1/4th the time of your program(unless you program was done on a slower speed). Copying to a use once R disc is significantly faster.

One note if switching brands, only another Panasonic will play your unfinalized DVDs, the Maggy will play only finalized DVDs from your Panasonic and visa versa, you'd have to finalize DVDs in a Maggy to play in a Panasonic. Well I guess +RWs may be the exception since they don't really need to be finalized, oh and the Maggy like almost all new DVDRs won't play/Record to your RAM discs.

Lastly, the Maggy doesn't need to be OFF to start a scheduled event
It's one bug (with the current 2160A model) is you cannot finalize or format discs if you have a scheduled event programmed, the older non A models or similar Philips 3575/6 did not have this bug.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jg4 /forum/post/17413246

I use +RW discs with pretty good success. I have had some go bad after using them for recording TV for about 2.5 years. I started using them first on a different machine. They will either freeze up, or start pixelating the images. At that point just throw them out, no good for any usage. I tried salvaging for computer usage, but no dice. I use them because they will play on my PS3, hooked up to my big screen.

I have had much worse luck with -RW. Even in my first DVD recorder, they were horrible. They do not hold up to multiple recordings well at all. Those discs started freezing up on me after a few recordings, and they wouldn't play on other equipment. I haven't done much with them on this machine.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/17382288

As said the EA-18 does support DL and 16x discs. The only ES DVDRs to record to DL discs were the last year of the ES machines, '06 and they also supported 16x discs...The problem with the '06 ES series and DL support was you need to close the first layer before recording to the second, this is not very handy for one continuous title. The EH series w/hdd didn't/don't have this limitation. If you're wiling to spend a fair amount of money a international Panasonic is a nice option, check my Sig for more info.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church AV Guy /forum/post/17382627

Interestingly enough. The Panasonic HDD equipped EH series could copy one large file onto a DL disk, it cannot record directly to a DL disk. You are limited to recording to the hard disk, and then dub to the DL disk. Strange...
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff /forum/post/17382680

Agreed, can I assume the newer international Panasonics don't have this limitation? I would think so, but you'd probably know for sure.

According to both the EH68 manual, and the EH49/59/69 manual, the issue still exists:
Quote:
You cannot directly record to a DVD-R DL and +R DL

disc on this unit.

Record to the HDD and then copy to the disc.

DL support appears to be a work in progress, or else it is such a small market, they don't care about developing it further.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
I guess it's not a big deal, at least for me. Direct recording to DVD is prone to more problems than HS from a HDD and considering the cost of DL discs it's probably best to take the extra step of first recording to HDD then HS to DVD.

Of course the other big advantage of going to the HDD first is if your DL burn fails you lose nothing(other than your disc), you only need to put in another DL disc and burn. If the burn fails recording direct to disc the disc and program are lost.

·
Registered
4,747 Posts
Certainly all true, but it does show that Panasonic has not seen fit to continue or improve their DL suport. And I don't mean just +R DL support, -R DL support is limiited also. When I DO burn DL disks, using the Verbatim +R DL disks I have, they have always turned out very good though.

My CD/DVD duplicator copies the DL disks without complaint, but since the ones I have are only 2.4x or something like that, the copies are pretty slow. I use DL disks rarely, only when it is really necessary.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We bought an EZ48V to copy VHS home movies to DVD. Trouble is, every time the camera was stopped, it sees it as a chapter/title break, and skips part of the movie with blank spaces left on the DVD. Is there any way around this?

·
Registered
3,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo51 /forum/post/17457111

We bought an EZ48V to copy VHS home movies to DVD. Trouble is, every time the camera was stopped, it sees it as a chapter/title break, and skips part of the movie with blank spaces left on the DVD. Is there any way around this?

You'll need to connect your old vcr to the 48, and record on the 48's line inputs to avoid those stop/start pausing, while dubbing to disc.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Do you still have the camcorder? Connect that to the 48 and play back to record.

If you can't borrow one from a friend or relative, try looking at your local pawn or consignment shops. Cheap vcrs in good working condition can be found.

·
Registered
11,503 Posts
One other possibility that I've been told the EZ-48v can do(like the older ES series did) but since I've never owned a EZ-48v I can't guarantee it is the following:

What you want to do is route the composite (common) output and audio output to the Composite input and audio, you'll need a total of 3 RCA type cables.

Then for the DVD input you want to select the input you've hooked the common output to(I'd use the rear input 1 for ease). Push PLAY on the VCR side and REC on the DVD side. This is also how you'd copy a commercial VHS tape if you had a external filter except in that case you'd have the filter in series with the video out/video in.

In this case you DON'T use the front panel(or remote) dubbing button which is what causes your unwanted stops/starts.

This method isn't as easy as a external VCR since you've got to keep switching your EZ-48v's remote from controlling the VCR to controlling the DVDR part and since the EZ-48v only has one display(unlike my favorite ES-30v
) you can't see the advancement of both the VCR and DVDR part without switching back and forth with the remote, but all in all it should allow you to do what you want without another VCR and no unwanted starts/stops.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi. i have the Panasonic DMR-EZ48V. i am not tech savvy at all, so please bear with me.

a friend of mine had to come over to see if we could get my surround sound to work for my stereo and TV....it is all setup thru the above DVD player. well it works, i can finally hear my TV in stereo, and i can listen to a CD finally. but the problem is, it only lasts 15 seconds, and then my DMR-EZ48V says GoodBye and turns off

any ideas? i pressed the reset button when it was off and reset it once that way - the same problem happens still :-\\

thanks in advance for any advice, ideas or help! --- art.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,

Can someone please help me with a quick answer.

I bought a DMR-EZ48V and have been trying to get it to work with a Weemote Snr learning remote control.

But it just doesn't want to know about it?

What's the deal with these Panas?

I cycled through each of the three channels (1,2+3) for the remote, but got absolutely no response?

Thanks,

Rev

·
Registered
3,691 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by artaqaf /forum/post/17459381

hi. i have the Panasonic DMR-EZ48V. i am not tech savvy at all, so please bear with me.

a friend of mine had to come over to see if we could get my surround sound to work for my stereo and TV....it is all setup thru the above DVD player. well it works, i can finally hear my TV in stereo, and i can listen to a CD finally. but the problem is, it only lasts 15 seconds, and then my DMR-EZ48V says GoodBye and turns off

any ideas? i pressed the reset button when it was off and reset it once that way - the same problem happens still :-\\

thanks in advance for any advice, ideas or help! --- art.

What's happening with it now, still cutting off after 15 sec? I'm guessing you've tried leaving it unplugged for a few hours too?

Press the reset button under the flap when the unit is on and not off this time, and see what happens.

1041 - 1060 of 1573 Posts