AVS Forum banner

1061 - 1080 of 1573 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello gurus and experts.

I've spent hours trying to figure this out so it's time to solicit advice.

I've had major issues getting audio playback after recording. While I can record there is no sound playing through my HDMI connected to my (Integra) A/V receiver. I spoke extensively with Panasonic, and they have no solution or advice. I'd like to think that it's a setting somewhere in the DVR but that doesn't appear to be the case.

It plays DVD/VHS via HDMI w/no problems. Is there some kind of copyright issue with recording shows? I'm on Comcast Digital Cable.

Best regards,

Frank

Baltimore, MD

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'm looking at the DMR-EZ48V (in Canada, it's known as DMREZ48K, sold at Sears for about $130 more than in the US).

My questions are:

1) Can I use it as an external ATSC (digital) TV tuner, to feed video and audio to my NTSC TV? (My tv is Sony 36" wega with RCA, S-video and component video inputs).

2) Can the DMR-EZ48VK down-convert ATSC video to NTSC signals and output them on it's S-Video output connector or component video connector (does it have a component video connector?). If the answer is no to either one, can it at least output ATSC video through it's composite (RCA) output connector?

3) I've read how it can't record off-air ATSC video to it's own VHS recorder. I assume that people have tried taking ATSC-out (via composite or S-video) and connecting it to the VHS-inputs. ???

4) Does the VHS deck have external video inputs, and if so is it composite only (RCA) or does it have S-video input as well?

5) When recording ATSC-sourced material to a DVD disk, I assume it's downconverted to a 640 x 480 NTSC signal. Does the machine impliment any copy or content-restriction mechanism that would prevent you from recording certain programs that are sourced from the ATSC tuner?

Well, that's all my questions for now. Looking forward to seeing some answers. Thankx. -SumGuy-

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy99 /forum/post/17576719

I'm looking at the DMR-EZ48V (in Canada, it's known as DMREZ48K, sold at Sears for about $130 more than in the US).

My questions are:

1) Can I use it as an external ATSC (digital) TV tuner, to feed video and audio to my NTSC TV? (My tv is Sony 36" wega with RCA, S-video and component video inputs).

2) Can the DMR-EZ48VK down-convert ATSC video to NTSC signals and output them on it's S-Video output connector or component video connector (does it have a component video connector?). If the answer is no to either one, can it at least output ATSC video through it's composite (RCA) output connector?

3) I've read how it can't record off-air ATSC video to it's own VHS recorder. I assume that people have tried taking ATSC-out (via composite or S-video) and connecting it to the VHS-inputs. ???

4) Does the VHS deck have external video inputs, and if so is it composite only (RCA) or does it have S-video input as well?

5) When recording ATSC-sourced material to a DVD disk, I assume it's downconverted to a 640 x 480 NTSC signal. Does the machine impliment any copy or content-restriction mechanism that would prevent you from recording certain programs that are sourced from the ATSC tuner?

Well, that's all my questions for now. Looking forward to seeing some answers. Thankx. -SumGuy-

Before purchasing the DMR-EZ48 model (or its variants) you should read this thread and consider others' advice as to operating characteristics and the built-in bugs and design flaws. I own five Panasonic EZ series DVD recorders so I'm familiar with bugs and design flaws. Only three of my EZ series Panasonics remain functional. (My favorite older ES series Panasonics are much better products.)

Thousands of the DMR-EZ48/485 models have been returned by the original purchasers. Some are refurbished by Panasonic and resold online by Panasonic Authorized Resellers. "Panasonic Factory Refurbished" models come with a Panasonic Refurbished Product Warranty.

In the summer and fall of 2008 one eBay seller (DealTree) listed many hundreds of customer returned DMR-EZ48/485 models (without warranties) with a starting price of $20.98, including US shipping.

Here are answers to DMR-EZ48 connectivity questions:

1) Yes

2) Yes

3) ATSC signals can not be recorded to VHS as there is no encoder for that purpose. NTSC and ATSC signals may be recorded to DVDs. (If you wish to record ATSC signals to videotape you may wish to browse eBay for a Zenith DTT901 Coupon Eligible Converter Box (CECB) and connect it to an input on your VCR and record from that input. The Zenith DTT901 is considered to be the best all-around inexpensive converter box. I also own the Zinwell ZAT-970A CECB that has an eight event channel change feature useful for unattended recording of different channels with a VCR or DVD recorder. Both these CECBs have the analog pass through feature for use in areas where there is digital and analog broadcasting. CECBs do not have a NTSC tuner.)

4) There are no separate inputs for the VHS section. The inputs are common between VHS and DVD. There are two sets (front and rear) of composite and S-Video inputs. There are HDMI, component and composite outputs. The RF output is ordinarily unmodulated but may be switched to a modulated condition by pressing the SCHEDULE button or pressing PLAY when a recorded DVD or videotape is present.

5) Copy protection is part of the design criteria and is triggered by your programming source, broadcast, cable or satellite as well as copy protected program content or copy protected commercials.

The DMR-EZ48 Operating Instructions (Canadian PDF versions) may be downloaded here:

http://www.panasonic.ca/english/cust...ions/query.asp

The best current DVD recorder is the Hard Disk Drive/DVD recorder equipped Magnavox 2160. Refurbished versions (I've purchased three of these) are currently selling for $159.99 USD at J&R World (visit j&r.com). Walmart is selling new 2160 models for $198 USD (I purchased one of these at a higher price about a year ago) but shipping may be limited to US addresses (visit walmart.com). The Magnavox 2160 is an outstanding product. The first post in Wajo's sticky thread is the gateway to a wealth of information concerning the 2160 and the earlier Magnavox 2080 and Philips 3575/3576 models:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=940657

·
Registered
15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/17577021

Thousands of DMR-EZ48 models have been returned by the original purchasers.

Can anyone explain why DVD recorders (or perhaps only VHS/DVD combo units?) are particularly troublesome from a performance or reliability point of view? Unlike most other classes of consumer entertainment equipment?

Quote:

Here are answers to DMR-EZ48 connectivity questions:

1) Yes

2) Yes

Well, on which of the output(s) will the DMR-EZ48 output broadcast ATSC signals?

a) Composite (RCA)

b) S-video

c) Component

I am particularly interested in an external ATSC tuner which will output something better than a composite signal. Many small external units don't seem to have S-video outputs. The DMR-EZ48 would be MUCH more attractive to me if it did, and ATSC component output would be a blast.

Quote:

3) ATSC signals can not be recorded to VHS as there is no encoder for that purpose.

Here's what I don't understand. If the unit will decode ATSC channels and output a video signal on (at least) it's composite RCA output jack (like your average $40 set-top ATSC tuner), then that exact same signal is what could go right into it's VHS deck input connector (assuming it has one?).

I understand that it's written right in the manual that it won't record ATSC sourced material directly to it's own VHS deck. But there is fundamentally no reason for that restriction, since presumably the unit is always creating an NTSC-compatible version of the ATSC signals and outputting them on it's composite and S-video connectors.

Quote:

The Zenith DTT901 is considered to be the best all-around inexpensive converter box.

What are it's outputs? Does it have S-video and/or component output?

Quote:

These CECBs do not have a NTSC tuner.

But the DMR-EZ48 does if I'm not mistaken, and here in Canada we'll still have NTSC over-the-air broadcasting for a couple more years. So if I can change channels with the DMR-EZ48 and it goes seamlessly from NTSC to ATSC channels without me pressing a few buttons, then that would be great.

Quote:

4) There are no separate inputs for the VHS section. The inputs are common between VHS and DVD. There are two sets (front and rear) of composite and S-Video inputs.

Are the two sets of inputs addressable? As in Video-in-1 and Video-in-2?

Quote:

5) Copy protection is part of the design criteria and is triggered by your programming source, broadcast, cable or satellite as well as copy protected program content or copy protected commercials.

I'm very new to ATSC over-the-air TV, so I'm curious if indeed it is the case that people have experienced the inability to record some signals to DVD format because the content protection actually kicked in. Or is it the case that you can record *any* ATSC signal, but only when it's downconverted to DVD format (640 x 480) ?

Thanks for the additional information.

Again, my primary concern or interest is how I can use the DMR-EZ48 as the new tuner or front-end for my existing TV. So how it handles and outputs both NTSC and ATSC channels is key in this regard. The ease for me to add or remove channels, see their signal strength, etc.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumguy99 /forum/post/17577465

Can anyone explain why DVD recorders (or perhaps only VHS/DVD combo units?) are particularly troublesome from a performance or reliability point of view? Unlike most other classes of consumer entertainment equipment?

Well, on which of the output(s) will the DMR-EZ48 output broadcast ATSC signals?

a) Composite (RCA)

b) S-video

c) Component

I am particularly interested in an external ATSC tuner which will output something better than a composite signal. Many small external units don't seem to have S-video outputs. The DMR-EZ48 would be MUCH more attractive to me if it did, and ATSC component output would be a blast.

Here's what I don't understand. If the unit will decode ATSC channels and output a video signal on (at least) it's composite RCA output jack (like your average $40 set-top ATSC tuner), then that exact same signal is what could go right into it's VHS deck input connector (assuming it has one?).

I understand that it's written right in the manual that it won't record ATSC sourced material directly to it's own VHS deck. But there is fundamentally no reason for that restriction, since presumably the unit is always creating an NTSC-compatible version of the ATSC signals and outputting them on it's composite and S-video connectors.

What are it's outputs? Does it have S-video and/or component output?

But the DMR-EZ48 does if I'm not mistaken, and here in Canada we'll still have NTSC over-the-air broadcasting for a couple more years. So if I can change channels with the DMR-EZ48 and it goes seamlessly from NTSC to ATSC channels without me pressing a few buttons, then that would be great.

I'm very new to ATSC over-the-air TV, so I'm curious if indeed it is the case that people have experienced the inability to record some signals to DVD format because the content protection actually kicked in. Or is it the case that you can record *any* ATSC signal, but only when it's downconverted to DVD format (640 x 480) ?

Thanks for the additional information.

Again, my primary concern or interest is how I can use the DMR-EZ48 as the new tuner or front-end for my existing TV. So how it handles and outputs both NTSC and ATSC channels is key in this regard. The ease for me to add or remove channels, see their signal strength, etc.

From what I've read the problems with the EZ series recorders came from "porting over" the operating system from two problematic 2005 models (DMR-ES20 and DMR-ES40) to the LSI chip (2007 model year), later rebranded as a Magnum chip (for the 2008/2009 model years). (I own one of those dreadful DMR-ES40 models.) The smooth performing operating system on a Panasonic chip (found in other 2005 and 2006 models) could not be modified to support the EZ series "digital" tuner so the (more nearly compatible) older operating system found on the LSI chip was used. (I own eleven other fully functional--and outstanding--2005 and 2006 ES series recorders.)

In the EZ series the "digital" signals are downconverted and output as "analog" signals through the composite and S-Video outputs. Digital signals are output through the HDMI and component outputs.

Again, there is no input dedicated to the VHS section. The inputs are shared in common between the VHS and DVD sections. The input source may be selected between the two sets of line inputs as well as the DVI and SD Card. Since VHS is regarded as obsolete technology there is no encoder to enable recording of actual "digital" signals to videotape. "Digital" signals would need to be downconverted by an external device (such as a US CECB or other "converter"). There are no component or HDMI inputs so recording digital signals is limited to the digital tuner fed from the RF ATSC or clear QAM source. Perhaps others may comment on jumpering the "common" composite output back into a composite input with the EZ48--I have no experience with this procedure.

US CECB models are limited by law to RF, composite and S-Video outputs. Only a very few have the S-Video output. Perhaps Canada will have more full-featured ATSC converter boxes as the NTSC shutdown approaches.

As to recording copy protected programs/commercials, some DVD recorder brands are more sensitive to "false" copy protection signals than others. Panasonic is deemed to be less often affected by "false" copy protection than some others, especially Sony and JVC. In this regard there is an advantage with the Philips/Magnavox NTSC/ATSC/clear QAM hard drive models in that it seems that "everything" may be recorded to the hard drive. So far the copy protection schemes are usually restrictive "copy once" rather than prohibitive "copy never." Copy protection may become a problem when an attempt is made to dub hard drive material to DVD. (I own seven Philips and Magnavox HDD/DVD models but I've yet to encounter any dubbing restriction or prohibition.) So far, it seems that others have mentioned that other DVD recorder brands' most common recording prohibition is with commercials. I don't remember reading of any copy protection problems with Philips and Magnavox hard drive models. But that day may come in the future.

I encourage you to read this EZ48 thread and Wajo's Philips/Magnavox sticky thread where your questions and concerns may be addressed in more detail.

·
Registered
11,504 Posts

Quote:

Current DVDR combos including the EZ-48v seem to have a much higher degree of problems compaired to just DVDRs(which also have a percentage of problems, but nothing like the combos).

Quote:

a) Composite (RCA)

b) S-video

c) Component

The EZ-48v will output ATSC on all outputs, including HDMI although all will be internally downconverted if received from a HD broadcast. In the case of HDMI or I believe component they may then be upconverted if desired. IMO you're not going to get much of a better picture going out of the component vs say S-video since again it's basically SD within the machine. A good quality converter box(with at least S-video output) will probably equal the EZ-48v, but probably not be better. When I had a EZ-28 I noticed the SD tuner output was about as good as SD got, which can be quite good. Notice I said at least S-video, IMO composite is a noticeable drop for even SD, which is one reason I never really recorded from my Zenith CECB or my CM-7000 via composite. The Zenith is a great box but not quite as sharp as a good box with S-video output.

Quote:

No reason asking why they did such a stupid thing, just realize they did and live with it. One could say the same thing about why since the tuner can tune HD signals and the unit has a HD output why couldn't they have passed the HD though, probably cost saving measures

Quote:

In theory it should work, but read this thread to see how many actual users are having problems with this unit. It's a nice idea but not very well implemented.

Quote:

Yes

Quote:

It's very rare you'd get a CP signal OTA (I never have) but some DVDRs particularly Sony and Toshiba report false CP errors which inhibit copying. Cable including pay channels like HBO or PPV events are more likely to be intentionally CP'd. IMO Panasonic DVDRs are probably the least likely of any DVDRs to report a false CP, if it reports one it's probably real.

Quote:

Again in theory(and until you start having problems due to flaky design) this unit will do most everything you ask and will probably do it quite well. The problem is, once the problems start

If you're really interested in this unit you should really start from the beginning of this thread and read posts from real world users, if you do I think you'll think twice about spending your money.

The EZ-28 with a external VHS recorder would be a far more reliable and flexible way to go, cheaper too.

Good luck on whatever you decided to do, unfortunately luck seems to have a lot to do with being able to receive the digital signals or use digital devices with minimal problems.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If anyone is thinking about buying this dvd recorder please think twice ...three times.... four times. This thing is frustrating not only to deal with the bugs but having to decipher what everyone says are the solutions. Think about it you cant even change the channels without the thing freezing up. Thats like having a toilet to use but you cant flush it which is exactly what I would do with this machine if I ran panasonic I would flush it.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am at a loss as to why I cannot record wide screen (16:9) footage from my Sony camcorder through the DV input. I just bought DVD-RAM discs to try, knowing from what I've read on the forums, that only they will enable the wide screen flag. I still get 4:3 results.

BTW, if I use the analog input on the EZ48 form the camcorder, then I can record in 16:9 with either RAM or +R discs.

What am I doing wrong, or is there a setting on either the Panny or my Sony that is incorrect?

My Sony allows you to choose what type of TV I am outputting to (4:3 or 16:9), and I've tried both setttings, with no luck.

·
Registered
123 Posts
If anyone is still interested in the DMR-EZ485VK, Costco has it in the clubs for $70 off the regular price of $259.99 (instant coupon through 12/13/09).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi,Im new here,hope this is posted correctly.

I have a new Panasonic Ez485vk.As i have read its basically the same as the Ez48vk.I have read allot in this thread.But havent seen anything like what i am experiancing.My dvd makes a weird loud buzzing noise when spinning when playing a disc,and even when i stopped the disc from playing it continued to buzz for a couple minutes until it finally stops.That happens when playing discs i dubbed from my old dvd vcr recorder.When i put in Movies i buy from the store,the buzzing is completely gone.But there is a weird clicking noise when the

movie is playing.Only stopping after i hit stop,and finally stops clicking a couple minutes later.Now the fan in the back has been coming on and off all day long,the player has been off all day.It doesnt seem hot or even warm to the touch.Its kind of annoying.My old combo recorder was quiet and the fan only came on when i turned the player on.It seems to record nicely from vhs to dvd.And using the hdmi cable is giving me a good picture.Im thinking about getting a refund for it.Just wondering what you guys have expeirenced any of this.

thanks

·
Registered
11,504 Posts
Just guessing but it sounds like maybe something like a Post-it note got stuck inside the drive? From your description it sounds like the noise is happening only when the disc is actually spinning, which again leads me to believe something is rubbing against the spinning disc. You could eject the tray and try and look inside with a flashlight, if you want to physically move the tray in and out you must unplug the machine after you've ejected the tray. Otherwise if it's still under warranty I'd exchange it.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts
Jeff's observations have merit.

In the event the foreign object cannot be extracted with Jeff's advice it may be necessary to remove the Panasonic's case lid and the DVD Drive lid to gain access to the open area around the lens assembly. The lens assembly may be manually moved along the guide rods to gain better access to the open area.

When the DVD Drive lid is to be removed take care that the disc tray is NOT EXTENDED when the DVD Drive lid is removed. The first photo shows a Panasonic EZ series DVD Drive with the lid removed. The roller/slider at the rear of the disc tray MUST be positioned to the far left, as seen in the first photo, before the DVD Drive lid is secured. The DVD Drive lid screws are positioned toward the corners of the DVD Drive lid, as seen in the second photo, not in the centrally located holes.

Removal of the DVD Drive lid provides an opportunity to gently clean the lens and remove dust, debris and oily residue from the rubber hub/spindle area.

See this post for lens and hub/spindle cleaning information and advice:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...8#post14479898

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks guys.I took the cover off and there was nothing visable in the drive that would be making contact to make that noise.Moved the lens assembly also,everything looks good.Everything is pretty clean since its new.

Rick

·
Registered
18 Posts
I've been an EZ48 owner for about 6 months now, and for the most part I'm very satisfied with it. I'm really quite fascinated with this machine, and this forum has been just what I've been looking for. There's a lot of very knowledgable people on here, plus a lot of people with questions. Been reading through the posts here, already answered several questions I had.

I fall into that category of user who has a pile of old VHS to convert to DVD. For this the EZ48 was purchased, and has performed quite well at this task. This EZ48 replaced an RCA unit, which burned up and died after about 3 months. The EZ48 has a fan and runs cool. I like cool.

Used to think I used this machine a lot, but nothing compared to you, DigaDo. With the number of Pannys you have and how you use them, I'm presuming you are a professional in the video field?

As for me, I got introduced to some fellows named Ohm and Voltaire and Ampiere, back in the mid 70's. Late 70s's I was doing consumer electronics, building and fixing TVs, etc. Got an associates as an electronics tech in '80, and been bouncing around various industrial electronics industries these past 30 years.

So hi and greetings to everyone here. I'll keep reading the rest of the posts here, and hopefully make some more replies later.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesGarfield /forum/post/17745743

Used to think I used this machine a lot, but nothing compared to you, DigaDo. With the number of Pannys you have and how you use them, I'm presuming you are a professional in the video field?

Beginning in 1986 I've been home-recording and archiving my favorite early talkie through film noir era movies.

I have no video or technology background, other than as an end-user.

After a career in federal service (in the field and office) I've now been retired for several years. I survived the government's chaos.

Let's see, what shall I watch next? I know, what about Robert Taylor thwarting Conrad Veidt in Escape (1940)? Norma Shearer fell for the wrong guy in that movie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've had the dmr-ez48 for about a year now with no problems other than the quirks others have mentioned in this thread. I originally bought it for the VCR/DVD capability and ATSC tuner for my old NTSC TV. It all worked great. I recently bought a Sony 32 Bravia and connected the cable from my antenna to the ez48 and on to the TV RF. I also connected the HDMI cable from the ez48 to the TV. Again, no problems.

Some questions I have:

1. Does the RF passthru on the ez48 degrade the RF signal to the TV? Is the RF-In on the ez48 wired in parallel to the RF-Out on the ez48 or is it electronically switched with the VCR/TV button on the ez48 remote?

2. The HDMI cable made a significant improvement in the video for recorded DVDs as I expected. I don't think the VCR tapes are uploaded thru the HDMI cables as they would have to be converted to digital signals? If that is true, should I also connect the composite cables that came with the unit to the TV for better tape viewing?

Thanks for any help on this,

JG4

·
Registered
18 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigaDo /forum/post/17746228

After a career in federal service (in the field and office) I've now been retired for several years. I survived the government's chaos.

Hey, you must have worked for my uncle. You know, Sam?

Actually, you and all the other more experienced EZ users here have provided a gold mine of information. I am grateful.

A previous poster here asked if all DVDR's are this quirky. It's worth taking a step back and realizing this is really a pretty sophisticated toy here, and there's really quite a lot going on under the hood. The fact that the EZ CAN do all it does, and for this price, is actually pretty amazing. Just a few short years ago there was nothing much like this... at least not at the consumer level.

A side note on this -- when I was in tech school, much of this technology wasn't even a dream yet. When I read the posts in this thread, the questions and answers exchanged indicate a basic level of technology comphrension that was the stuff of only scientists and engineers just 2 or 3 decades ago. Now it's commonplace.

Making a product like the EZ48 available at the consumer level is itself quite an achievement. Functionality and reliability in electronic stuff depends on the intended end use, and how much one is willing to pay for it.

To elaborate a bit, consumer stuff is what we call Class 1. If the thing works when you get it home and take it out of the box, that's good. If it keeps working right on through the warranty period, that's better. If it works for 2 or 3 years, you're ahead of the game there, Pal. Class 1 means if it fails, it's just an inconvience for the user -- there's no risk of life or economics.

Class 2 stuff: High Reliablity (and high cost). The industrial machines where I work for example, that run 24x7 producing diesel engine controllers... if one of them breaks down, the company looses big money.

Class 3 stuff must be Very High Reliablity. This is for stuff like medical equipment in hospitals, where human life would be at risk if it should fail.

And yes, there's even a Class 4 -- Utra High Reliability, like for stuff going into space, or into nuclear reactors, where failure cannot be tolerated because you just can't get to it if it failed.

Which brings us back to Do. Oh, wait, wrong song. Well, unless you want to call it 'dough' as in money. As I see it, Panny could have made the EZ48 much more problem free, but they probably couldn't have brought the product in then at this price.

I've got more questions and comments for later posts. Thanks again for this forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Is it easy to hook up a VCR to the Panasonic DMR-EZ28 to dub old VHS tapes onto DVD-R discs? If so, can anyone go through the steps? My wife bought her parents the Panasonic and I want to be able to hook up the two with ease for them.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhickman151 /forum/post/17761613

Is it easy to hook up a VCR to the Panasonic DMR-EZ28 to dub old VHS tapes onto DVD-R discs? If so, can anyone go through the steps? My wife bought her parents the Panasonic and I want to be able to hook up the two with ease for them.

Thanks in advance.

Connect the VCR's composite outputs, yellow video and white/red audio, to the corresponding rear or front composite inputs on a DVD recorder. Select that input as the recording source. On the DMR-EZ28 remote control the INPUT SELECT button is used to choose between the L1 rear connections or L2 front connections. (If the VCR has a S-Video output, a round connector with several pins, that may be used instead of the yellow connection. The S-Video cable will also need to have the white/red connections to provide the audio signal. In most cases S-Video provides better picture quality than the yellow video connection.)

If the VCR has only one audio output, connect that output to the white (left) cable running between the VCR and the DVD recorder. The red cable is not used when the VCR has only a mono output.

On a DMR-EZ28 the threaded RF output provides only a pass through signal from the RF input. Another output connection must be made between the DMR-EZ28 and the TV.

1061 - 1080 of 1573 Posts