AVS Forum banner

3421 - 3440 of 8092 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Hmmmmmm. I wonder if this is what I’ve been seeing. Can you elaborate on this a bit or give /show examples?
Random single pixels going full white for fraction of a second. It was incredibly obvious during the openings of Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II, where there’s a full black field with the BBC’s purple intro text. Then obvious again during the planet and sun sequence at the start of an episode. The best I can describe it as is snow or a sparkle or a shimmer. The quick pop of white draws the eye. My wife, who often says I’m way too picky about AV stuff, found it pretty distracting. I tried a half dozen discs and could see it on everything. Blus of the Martian, LEGO Batman, Zero Dark. 4K Blus of Planet Earth, Black Panther, Logan.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,435 Posts
Random single pixels going full white for fraction of a second. It was incredibly obvious during the openings of Planet Earth II and Blue Planet II, where there’s a full black field with the BBC’s purple intro text. Then obvious again during the planet and sun sequence at the start of an episode. The best I can describe it as is snow or a sparkle or a shimmer. The quick pop of white draws the eye. My wife, who often says I’m way too picky about AV stuff, found it pretty distracting. I tried a half dozen discs and could see it on everything. Blus of the Martian, LEGO Batman, Zero Dark. 4K Blus of Planet Earth, Black Panther, Logan.
Sounds like you may have a textbook case of "The Sparklies". These are bit drops in the HDMI video signal due the HDMI cabling not being up to handling the bandwidth of signal you are trying to send. To test, try temporarily lowering the output video Resolution to, say, 1080p and see if the problem goes away.

If so, you need to update your HDMI cables. For more info see my Blog posts here:

A Field Guide to HDMI Failures. Collect 'em All!

HDMI "Premium Certified" Cables

--Bob

·
Registered
559 Posts
Sounds like you may have a textbook case of "The Sparklies". These are bit drops in the HDMI video signal due the HDMI cabling not being up to handling the bandwidth of signal you are trying to send. To test, try temporarily lowering the output video Resolution to, say, 1080p and see if the problem goes away.

If so, you need to update your HDMI cables. For more info see my Blog posts here:

A Field Guide to HDMI Failures. Collect 'em All!

HDMI "Premium Certified" Cables

--Bob
Running MonoPrice Premium Certified cables. There’s no sparkle on full bandwidth 4K60+HDR signals from my PS4 Pro or using the same discs in the X700. Not sure how other sources can be clean on the same cable while pushing the same bandwidth.

·
Read the FAQ!
35,435 Posts
Running MonoPrice Premium Certified cables. There’s no sparkle on full bandwidth 4K60+HDR signals from my PS4 Pro or using the same discs in the X700. Not sure how other sources can be clean on the same cable while pushing the same bandwidth.
It could be mechanical fit mismatch between plug and socket. Or that the failing player is sending 12-bit video and the others are sending 8-bit or 10-bit. Specifically for 4K/60, the working players may be sending YCbCr 4:2:0, with the failing player sending 4:2:2. Basically anything that alters the bandwidth of the signal such that it is higher bandwidth from the failing player.

If there's a hardware problem in the HDMI output of the failing player, it would typically still show even after you lower the output bandwidth (as with the 1080p test I mentioned). And of course a firmware problem causing this would be reported by many posters.
--Bob

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Is anyone having the same Audio issues I am having?

When outputting bitstream to a Denon 2808, every once in a while I will get loud popping coming from random speakers. Usually happens right away or after the credits roll and the movie goes back to the top menu. Worries me about speaker damage. When using PCM, the rears are slightly delayed. I can here is during the WB or 20th Century Fox intro music. I have also heard it on actual content, mostly music centric titles like A Star is Born.

My 820 is sending audio only to the Denon 2808. The Video is separately going to an HDFURY and then my projector.

I have tried different HDMI cables. I even tried a different 820, and while I didn't use it long enough to see if the popping would happen in bitstream, I could definitely hear the same audio delay. The problem with testing for the popping is it can go months without doing it and then BAM! It happens again.

I have no idea what else to try or if anyone else has had similar issues. The audio delay is slight and only the rears are affected. I have the audio reformatting setting off on the 820. I also run PCM to my 2808 from the Oppo 103D with no such delay.

I think the cause might have to do with the way the 820 processes 5.1 when outputting PCM. With either BluRay or UHD, if the title is in 5.1, the player is automatically sending 7.1 PCM. The audio conversion setting is off on the player. If you set bitstream, you get 5.1 as intended.

I am thinking there is some double processing going on for the surround back channels where it is also taking a 7.1 channel source and processing it the same way as 5.1, adding some kind of weird delay to the back rear speakers. Again, this doesn't happen with bitstream. It seems the 820 will output 7.1 when set to PCM no matter what. Why would Panasonic do that?

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
According to this ...
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/149-blu-ray-players/2990966-official-panasonic-dp-ub820-824-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-64.html#post57007008
... the answer to your question is no. I don't have a "UHD-friendly" drive. But, for the heck of it, I made a full folder backup of a regular blu-ray with true hd atmos, ran BDMV Modifer 2.0 on it, and put it on a thumbdrive. The 820 just saw it as a bunch of folders. It played the ts movie file from the stream folder but only allowed lossy audio. So, unlike the Oppo 203, the 820 won't play full folder backups like physical discs. And the 820 treats ts files the same as it does mkv files vis-a-vis audio tracks.

I know it's not an appropriate discussion for this thread. But I'm curious if Sony's X700 and X800 models can play BDMV folders as discs and if they allow lossless audio on ts and mkv files from connected or networked drives.
That is a bit different than building a compliant AVCHD folder structure though. Eg it has to be x:\PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV etc. So for example on a PS3 and other players, it will then recognize the drive as an AVCHD and basically treat it like a blu-ray. I used to use this for my subtitle remuxes for some blu rays that were missing subs. I must admit I've never tried it for Atmos as I've only ever done it for 3D, and AVCHD doesn't support frame packed 3d, so I went iso.

·
Registered
33 Posts
That is a bit different than building a compliant AVCHD folder structure though. Eg it has to be x:\PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV etc. So for example on a PS3 and other players, it will then recognize the drive as an AVCHD and basically treat it like a blu-ray. I used to use this for my subtitle remuxes for some blu rays that were missing subs. I must admit I've never tried it for Atmos as I've only ever done it for 3D, and AVCHD doesn't support frame packed 3d, so I went iso.
Not sure if this is exactly what you were suggesting but, per your message, I created an AVCHD folder on the thumb drive and put the modified BDMV folder inside it, which resulted in the following path...
N:\GRAVITY_SPECIAL_EDITION\AVCHD\BDMV
The 820 wouldn't open/play the AVCHD folder or the BDMV folder. It still just saw it as files within folders.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts

I see a “shimmer” or type of noise from time to time. I’m wondering if that’s what you see. Have you A/B’d it with another player?

·
Registered
2,384 Posts

I’m going to test another player at some point as well, and see what I see.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Not sure if this is exactly what you were suggesting but, per your message, I created an AVCHD folder on the thumb drive and put the modified BDMV folder inside it, which resulted in the following path...
N:\GRAVITY_SPECIAL_EDITION\AVCHD\BDMV
The 820 wouldn't open/play the AVCHD folder or the BDMV folder. It still just saw it as files within folders.
Most anything AVCHD compliant wouldn't recognise that folder structure. They are meant to work with whatever a camera will produce on a memory card. So having N:\GRAVITY_SPECIAL_EDITION\AVCHD\BDMV is not AVCHD format. I believe if you made it N:\PRIVATE\AVCHD\BDMV it would, and I'm pretty sure a say PS3 would then show it under video as AVCHD you can just play (even handles menus). I'd have to check my ones at home. Or you can get that utility AVCHDme and put it in the root folder of the USB store, and run that and use it, and it will put it in the correct form.

It is a bit trickier with that depending on files, but say the PS3 needs files in 8.3 naming, fat32 etc. I would do my subtitle remuxes with MultiAVCHD. I will give it a go with an atmos on the weekend, see what I find. I don't have any non 3D atmos ones though so would have to do something 2d

EDIT: Moot point anyhow. I checked the manual and they don't support lossless for AVCHD either...

·
Registered
67 Posts
It could be mechanical fit mismatch between plug and socket. Or that the failing player is sending 12-bit video and the others are sending 8-bit or 10-bit. Specifically for 4K/60, the working players may be sending YCbCr 4:2:0, with the failing player sending 4:2:2. Basically anything that alters the bandwidth of the signal such that it is higher bandwidth from the failing player.

If there's a hardware problem in the HDMI output of the failing player, it would typically still show even after you lower the output bandwidth (as with the 1080p test I mentioned). And of course a firmware problem causing this would be reported by many posters.
--Bob
Bob, as usual, you're ahead of the curve on the inner workings of these devices so I was wondering if you know of a place that gives a bit better detail about all of the sub menu items and what they do. The manual documentation seems lacking a bit in some areas.

For instance, if you have a 2017 LG OLED like I do, and I know it's only a 10 bit panel, and I have a Denon x4400h in between my UB820, is it really a good idea to run 4:4:4 12 bit, even with premium certified cables? Is it possible the Denon would not do a pure pass thru and introduce banding, sparklies or other problems?

I notice terrible banding on the Amazon prime video load screen, but not necessarily in content. However, the content I stream from the panny APV app will stutter horribly after about ten minutes, and then a pause and play corrects it for another 10 or so minutes. Fairly certain my network is up to snuff, I'm usually showing a consistent 106mb down and 11-12mb up speeds. Trying to determine if it's me or the source content.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm sure this has been thrashed out a thousand times already on this forum, but I'm finding it a challenge to locate the answers I need.

I wondered if someone might be kind enough to help me locate the correct part of the forum to answer my question? I recently bought a DP-UB820, but am still using my Epson 6030UB until I find a price/performance 4K projector that suits my needs. Can anyone tell me what the optimum menu settings are on the 820 for watching UHD BDs, i.e. with HDR-SDR conversion?

I'm assuming my former settings of Super Resolution +3 for 1080p BDs etc should be returned to 0, for example? Any help for best picture tips would be much appreciated.
I put this question out a couple of weeks ago, but realised it might not have been clear. Is anyone else using an Epson 6030UB with their 820? I would really appreciate any advice on 820 and Epson optimal image settings if so i.e. to get the best out of a UHD Blu-ray with 1080p output. (My preamp is Marantz AV7703.)

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I put this question out a couple of weeks ago, but realised it might not have been clear. Is anyone else using an Epson 6030UB with their 820? I would really appreciate any advice on 820 and Epson optimal image settings if so i.e. to get the best out of a UHD Blu-ray with 1080p output. (My preamp is Marantz AV7703.)
My understanding is that the Epson is not an e-shifter, just plain vanilla 1080p panels and limited to SDR Rec709. Why not just play the HD BR discs, output at native resolution? Do you feel that there's an advantage in playing the UHD disc and "down scaling" it to 1080p? Are you simply purchasing UHD source material for the future when you purchase a native 4K display?

Reactions: musicalfox

·
Registered
515 Posts
I bought a UB820 to use with my new JVC RS2000 projector when it arrives. I ended up also buying a Sony 85" XBR850 flat panel for my family room. The deal was too good to pass up. :)

My question is will it still benefit me to buy another UB820 for the Sony so that I have the tone mapping ability? Or will the Sony X700 work just as well? Do the flat panels benefit from the tone mapping like the projectors do? I'm not even sure if the 85" Sony has internal tone mapping like my RS2000 will have.

SO long story short. DO I just save the money and buy a Sony X700 4K BR player or get another UB820?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
I bought a UB820 to use with my new JVC RS2000 projector when it arrives. I ended up also buying a Sony 85" XBR850 flat panel for my family room. The deal was too good to pass up. :)

My question is will it still benefit me to buy another UB820 for the Sony so that I have the tone mapping ability? Or will the Sony X700 work just as well? Do the flat panels benefit from the tone mapping like the projectors do? I'm not even sure if the 85" Sony has internal tone mapping like my RS2000 will have.

SO long story short. DO I just save the money and buy a Sony X700 4K BR player or get another UB820?

Thanks.
Why not try the 820 on the 850 while you have it. Set the TV type for (I’m guessing) mid luminance LCD. Pick a few titles of 4k movies you’re familiar with and try it with optimizer on and off. That should give you a good idea.
Now I think the 820 will give a very slight better overall picture and the obvious advantage of having two players you’re familiar with in operation and remotes will also favor the 820.
End of the day, you must decide if it’s worth the added cost.

Reactions: Jim Cutter

·
Read the FAQ!
35,435 Posts
Bob, as usual, you're ahead of the curve on the inner workings of these devices so I was wondering if you know of a place that gives a bit better detail about all of the sub menu items and what they do. The manual documentation seems lacking a bit in some areas.

For instance, if you have a 2017 LG OLED like I do, and I know it's only a 10 bit panel, and I have a Denon x4400h in between my UB820, is it really a good idea to run 4:4:4 12 bit, even with premium certified cables? Is it possible the Denon would not do a pure pass thru and introduce banding, sparklies or other problems?

I notice terrible banding on the Amazon prime video load screen, but not necessarily in content. However, the content I stream from the panny APV app will stutter horribly after about ten minutes, and then a pause and play corrects it for another 10 or so minutes. Fairly certain my network is up to snuff, I'm usually showing a consistent 106mb down and 11-12mb up speeds. Trying to determine if it's me or the source content.
I don't have any useful info on the menus in this player.

My preference is to send YCbCr 4:2:2 to my 2016 LG. The reason is that 4:4:4 can only be sent as 8-bit when sending 4K/60 content, but 4:2:2 can be sent as 12-bit for both 4K/24 and 4K/60. (This is a bandwidth limitation in the HDMI specifications.) My choice here is independent of the video path capabilities inside the TV; it's just a matter of trying to have things change as little as possible when switching between different types of content so that you only have to check your video calibration is correct for one format going to the TV.

So I set YCbCr 4:2:2 12-bit output in my OPPO and then check carefully for problems in the TV image. In my case, I found none, so I'm all set. I.e., no need to futz with 4:4:4.

Banding or other anomalies in streaming services are almost always due to corners cut in the actual content being streamed. You are at the mercy of the streaming services as to what they decide to send you (even if you have a high speed internet connection). This will vary by title, by time of day, and even by the server farm you happen to be connected to at the moment and the load on that server. I call it the WYGIWYD design philosophy: What You Get Is What You Deserve.

Simply put, the streaming services -- ALL of them -- deliberately reduce the bit-rate of the video stream they are sending you as much as they think they can get away with. The better your video display setup, the more likely it is you will see the flaws inherent in that approach.
--Bob

·
Registered
130 Posts
There are several "go to" settings posted in the thread. Perform a search for Harpervision as it was one of the first to tackle the HDR projector nits limitation. There are several others and they have their own take. I use a modified version of Harpervision myself with my 820.

Reactions: musicalfox

·
Registered
67 Posts
hi,

quick question:
when i play non 4k files from USB, i get a very strange but quite noticable flicker. this is completely absent when playing the same file through my lg c8 oled tv.

i tried changing all available picture settings, but it couldn't be changed. see https://ufile.io/5lppg where I uploaded a 5s video showing what I mean. none of the flickering throughout the clip or the weird posterization seen on the building at the end should be there.

could it be related to the fact that the player is always outputting 24p content (1080p or lower) as 60p?

if i cannot get rid of this, then the player goes back. thanks in advance for anything clarifying this problem.

regards,
oledmod

3421 - 3440 of 8092 Posts