AVS Forum banner

3441 - 3460 of 8090 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
There are several "go to" settings posted in the thread. Perform a search for Harpervision as it was one of the first to tackle the HDR projector nits limitation. There are several others and they have their own take. I use a modified version of Harpervision myself with my 820.
Great, I'll check Harpervision out. Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
My understanding is that the Epson is not an e-shifter, just plain vanilla 1080p panels and limited to SDR Rec709. Why not just play the HD BR discs, output at native resolution? Do you feel that there's an advantage in playing the UHD disc and "down scaling" it to 1080p? Are you simply purchasing UHD source material for the future when you purchase a native 4K display?
Correct, it's not an e-shifter, docrog. I'm putting out at highest resolution, but I just wondered if there were menu tweaks that others recommended, both on the Panny and the Epson for UHD playback. One of the members has sent me a PM and is going to forward some settings he used with a JVC. Thanks for replying.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I watched Valerian and X-Men Apocalypse on the 820 with my Optoma UHD60 and they both looked really good, the best I've seen them look in terms of black levels, color and brightness,etc. on my setup. Very happy with the swap out from the 900 to the 820 running SDR.2020 with 2.4 gamma using cinema mode, color 19, optimizer on, dynamic range adjust slider set to 6 with brilliant color set to 2 on the Optoma and dynamic black enabled.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Why not try the 820 on the 850 while you have it. Set the TV type for (I’m guessing) mid luminance LCD. Pick a few titles of 4k movies you’re familiar with and try it with optimizer on and off. That should give you a good idea.
Now I think the 820 will give a very slight better overall picture and the obvious advantage of having two players you’re familiar with in operation and remotes will also favor the 820.
End of the day, you must decide if it’s worth the added cost.
I was planning on doing this. I was just hoping to get some opinions from people that were using the UB820 on a LCD flat panel. I don't mind spending the additional. money but I'm always reading about the benefits of tone mapping with a front projector and not so much with a flat panel.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Correct, it's not an e-shifter, docrog. I'm putting out at highest resolution, but I just wondered if there were menu tweaks that others recommended, both on the Panny and the Epson for UHD playback. One of the members has sent me a PM and is going to forward some settings he used with a JVC. Thanks for replying.
Sorry, but I can't help you with settings suggestions, as they will vary depending on the screen size/type for your display. I think that specific settings in the UB820 may not be necessary for Rec709 if you properly calibrate your PJ. I love the HDR synergy between my UB820 and my new NX7, but this is currently irrelevant for your needs.

Reactions: musicalfox

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
These responses by Kris Deering (in RED) just appeared on the thread for the new JVC native 4K PJ:

Originally Posted by malba2366 View Post
Any word if the UB820 is getting those picture modes that work with JVC?
The 820 already has one of the two. I will have more info on this in my NX9 review.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattztt View Post
Will that review be out before the UB9000 event? I'm trying to decide on whether to pull the trigger on getting on their wait list for the next batch.
No. But I will talk about the features at the event itself I imagine. I'm just not at liberty to discuss these features before the review in a forum. I will ask JVC/Panasonic if it is okay to discuss at the event.

The event that Kris is referring to is: "JVC and Panasonic are doing an event at Value Electronics at the end of this month. They are going to demonstrate the synergy of the UB9000 with the new picture modes on the projector (which haven't been released yet). I will be at the event to talk and also to do the calibration on the setup itself. If you're in the area and want to see or ask questions, I encourage you to attend! It is open to the public!"

More to come..............

Reactions: namirkhan

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
I don't mind spending the additional. money but I'm always reading about the benefits of tone mapping with a front projector and not so much with a flat panel.
If I understand correctly, that is because the benefits of tone mapping diminish the greater the display's inherent ability to produce high brightness levels. So a high luminance LCD would not benefit from tone mapping nearly as much as a projector. At least, that's the impression I got from the Vincent Teogh video that I posted earlier in the thread.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Does the 820 support 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 chroma? I recently upgraded my cables and now have the bandwidth but am not sure if the 820 supports this? I don’t see it in the options menu.

Also, a firmware update failed for me mid update a couple days ago. The player rebooted itself and all is well but I want to update again to ensure a good, up to date firmware. How do I grab the FW update?

I’m just getting my feet wet with this unit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
Does the 820 support 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 chroma? I recently upgraded my cables and now have the bandwidth but am not sure if the 820 supports this? I don’t see it in the options menu.

Also, a firmware update failed for me mid update a couple days ago. The player rebooted itself and all is well but I want to update again to ensure a good, up to date firmware. How do I grab the FW update?

I’m just getting my feet wet with this unit. Thanks in advance for any help.

Manual: https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwiYqePXpP7gAhVth-AKHQweCWIQFjABegQICRAB&url=ftp%3A%2F%2Fftp.panasonic.com%2Fbluray%2Fom%2Fdp-ub820_en_om.pdf&usg=AOvVaw0oK444J3eeAoxfi5PUrKKY

I believe that it supports 4:4:4 and 4:2:2. (4:4:4 at 60 fps must be 8 bit, due to HDMI limitations.)

Firmware: https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/bd/download/ub420/ub420_us.html

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Page 29 of the owner's manual (the one you can download online) says that if you go to the Player Settings menu, and you select 4k/60p output, and you select 4k/60p(4:4:4), then it will support both.

Did you check the Panasonic website under support? I'm not sure if it is there, but that's where I would look. If it was me, I'd just give it a second shot with the firmware update on the player.

·
Registered
67 Posts
hi,

quick question:
when i play non 4k files from USB, i get a very strange but quite noticable flicker. this is completely absent when playing the same file through my lg c8 oled tv.

i tried changing all available picture settings, but it couldn't be changed. see https://ufile.io/5lppg where I uploaded a 5s video showing what I mean. none of the flickering throughout the clip or the weird posterization seen on the building at the end should be there.

could it be related to the fact that the player is always outputting 24p content (1080p or lower) as 60p?

if i cannot get rid of this, then the player goes back. thanks in advance for anything clarifying this problem.

regards,
oledmod

Just to add to my earlier post, these problems do not happen with other versions (different resolution/encoding) of this episode - so it is obviously that the player can't handle that specific encoding and/or low resolution well.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
Has anyone experienced intermittent video judder ("stuttering") when using the UB820 for UHD HDR content on Amazon Video? It's hard for me to believe that it's a buffering issue, because Netflix doesn't demonstrate this issue with the UB820 and Amazon Video plays flawlessly on my ATV4K & Roku Ultra. BTW, I am able to reduce the apparent judder by adding a degree of frame interpolation, but the problem still isn't entirely fixed.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi, I have 2 questions.

I have the DP-UB820 set to auto for resolution. When I play a 1080p blu-ray it says on the panasonic player info button it is 1080p resolution. Is this upconverting? I don't want the tv itself's upconversion as I don't like it as good. Is there a way to get the player to upconvert to 4k and look great?

Also when playing 4k blu-rays it says it is playing 7.1 TrueHD audio on the panasonic's info. I have a 5.1 only surround setup that my denon says it is doing TrueHD on the display. I just want to know when playing 7.1 TrueHD on 5.1 speakers I don't lose any audio?

Thank you!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Bob, as usual, you're ahead of the curve on the inner workings of these devices so I was wondering if you know of a place that gives a bit better detail about all of the sub menu items and what they do. The manual documentation seems lacking a bit in some areas.

For instance, if you have a 2017 LG OLED like I do, and I know it's only a 10 bit panel, and I have a Denon x4400h in between my UB820, is it really a good idea to run 4:4:4 12 bit, even with premium certified cables? Is it possible the Denon would not do a pure pass thru and introduce banding, sparklies or other problems?

I notice terrible banding on the Amazon prime video load screen, but not necessarily in content. However, the content I stream from the panny APV app will stutter horribly after about ten minutes, and then a pause and play corrects it for another 10 or so minutes. Fairly certain my network is up to snuff, I'm usually showing a consistent 106mb down and 11-12mb up speeds. Trying to determine if it's me or the source content.
I don't have any useful info on the menus in this player.

My preference is to send YCbCr 4:2:2 to my 2016 LG. The reason is that 4:4:4 can only be sent as 8-bit when sending 4K/60 content, but 4:2:2 can be sent as 12-bit for both 4K/24 and 4K/60. (This is a bandwidth limitation in the HDMI specifications.) My choice here is independent of the video path capabilities inside the TV; it's just a matter of trying to have things change as little as possible when switching between different types of content so that you only have to check your video calibration is correct for one format going to the TV.

So I set YCbCr 4:2:2 12-bit output in my OPPO and then check carefully for problems in the TV image. In my case, I found none, so I'm all set. I.e., no need to futz with 4:4:4.

Banding or other anomalies in streaming services are almost always due to corners cut in the actual content being streamed. You are at the mercy of the streaming services as to what they decide to send you (even if you have a high speed internet connection). This will vary by title, by time of day, and even by the server farm you happen to be connected to at the moment and the load on that server. I call it the WYGIWYD design philosophy: What You Get Is What You Deserve.

Simply put, the streaming services -- ALL of them -- deliberately reduce the bit-rate of the video stream they are sending you as much as they think they can get away with. The better your video display setup, the more likely it is you will see the flaws inherent in that approach.
--Bob
Thanks for the information, Bob. I'm going to futz around with this a bit more, and see what a fixed 4:2:2 does for me.

It does seem like there are some issues with the Amazon prime video app on this player as the roku, and Apple 4k seem to handle the content much better and I don't get the annoying video stutter on those services as I do on the Panny. It's a shame, as I was excited to use the tone mapping on the UB820 for Amazon prime viewing.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Page 29 of the owner's manual (the one you can download online) says that if you go to the Player Settings menu, and you select 4k/60p output, and you select 4k/60p(4:4:4), then it will support both.

Did you check the Panasonic website under support? I'm not sure if it is there, but that's where I would look. If it was me, I'd just give it a second shot with the firmware update on the player.

Thanks! You as well @bobknavs!

I don’t even know what 4:4:4 is but I recently upgraded cables and can now support it. My display is 140” dia 2.35 with JVC PJ RS640.

Will I even see a difference enabling 4:4:4?

Off to do some research...

·
Registered
19 Posts
Ok so I've just gotten my Panny and super excited to put it to use. I've looked through a bunch of pages to see if anyone has used it with the Optoma UHD65 and seen nothing. I know and am going to try m0j0 settings from his UHD60 but the 65 has a better color wheel and better black levels so hoping others out there may also help. Also m0j0 settings are awesome from before I got the 820. So if anyone has seen a post on it in use with the UHD65 and can direct me to it I'd be most appreciative. Also thanks to all you that have posted on the correct usage of the optimizer. I of course set it up wrong before looking here.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Ok so I've just gotten my Panny and super excited to put it to use. I've looked through a bunch of pages to see if anyone has used it with the Optoma UHD65 and seen nothing. I know and am going to try m0j0 settings from his UHD60 but the 65 has a better color wheel and better black levels so hoping others out there may also help. Also m0j0 settings are awesome from before I got the 820. So if anyone has seen a post on it in use with the UHD65 and can direct me to it I'd be most appreciative. Also thanks to all you that have posted on the correct usage of the optimizer. I of course set it up wrong before looking here.
Good luck Jim! Maybe reach out to @Redskin, I think he has a UHD65 and 820 (if I recall correctly).

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm not sure that any source material is in 4:4:4. I think that shiny disks are all 4:2:0. (My understanding of exactly what that means is limited.)

See the attached for a table of data rates.

Maybe I wasted $ on the new hdmi cable? I set Apple TV 4K to 4:2:2, again not sure what I’ll be able to see.

I also play video games on xb1x in 4K . With all of my different sources I decided to get a cable that could handle it all so no regrets.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Optimizer Question

I have got two of these players coming. One to use with a 2018 Vizio M series and one to use with a Sony X950G that is on order. The Vizio can do between 700-800 nits and the Sony around 1100 to 1200 I believe. What optimizer setting should I use for each? The setting above or below their capabilities? For the Vizio, basic or middle lcd? For the Sony, middle or high end lcd? Also, for 4k bluray is it better to use ycbcr 4:2:2 or 4:4:4? Seems 4:2:2 has less compatibility issues. Thanks.

3441 - 3460 of 8090 Posts