AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 9446 Posts

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
It’s the samsung m8500. I have tried my friend’s ub900 and i can tell the diff when it comes to picture quality in general. Also the audio bec m8500 has only 1 hdmi output port.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ah yes. I had the 8500 for 24 hours and returned it. At the time there were issues with color accuracy and I thought even the Xbox S had a better picture. I would expect the 820 to be as good or better than thevUB900.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
My JVC is dialed in beautifully with my ub900 by Chad B (with two gamma settings to choose from), but the tone mapping is static as such. Perhaps out of the box, the Oppo is better, but not once it's well calibrated.

The ub820 would make it dynamic by scene, which would be extra cool. I think.

I'm not going to buy it if I hear a big "meh" over the Optimizer. My ub900 throws a beautiful HDR image with my JVC rs620.

Do you even utilize the HDR slider since your PJ gamma was calibrated? I just sold my Phillips BDP7501 and pre-ordered the UB820. I'm expecting a world of difference with my Epson 5040ub due to never having had the HDR slider option before, never having and optimizer tone mapped at the source before, and never owned the premium Panasonic BD players before.

Think I will see a big difference?
Yes, I use it at +6 so I don't have to use high lamp power on my projector.

If your projector is calibrated, the dynamic range slider makes a huge difference in the ub900, but it's static for tone mapping. The 820 supposedly allows it to be scene specific, which is intriguing if executed well for projectors.

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
My JVC is dialed in beautifully with my ub900 by Chad B (with two gamma settings to choose from), but the tone mapping is static as such. Perhaps out of the box, the Oppo is better, but not once it's well calibrated.

I'm not going to buy it if I hear a big "meh" over the Optimizer. My ub900 throws a beautiful HDR image with my JVC rs620.
I love my UB900 with my JVC X570/RS420. I am really puzzled by the fact that it seems that Panasonic may not bring the new series to the USA. Have you heard any confirmation on whether it will be distributed here?

With Oppo out of the picture it's Panasonics market to take, in my opinion.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Answering to Garrett and Blafarm, no DV isn't active yet. On Netflix, DV content is recognized as normal HDR. So, it is impossible any test so far. A coming soon firmware update will introduce Dolby Vision on this player.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I have a UB820 and an Epson LS10000 (with a HP 2.8 screen) and do SDR/BT2020. I find that the middle luminance setting (1000 nits) gives me more "punch in colors" and detail than the basic lcd/projector setting (500) nits. Coming from the UB700, I can say that the improvement from the HDR Optimizer is definitely noticable.

·
Registered
13,468 Posts
I recently ordered the UB820. I currently have the UB900 and Oppo 203. My HT is a 100% blacked out velvet room, 142" 16:9 2.8HP + JVC RS600.

I have calibration equipment and one of the first to confirm the Oppo tone mapping was stuck at R709. UB900 SDR/BT2020 did not have the same issues but the single slider was limited.

I'm looking forward to comparing the more advanced features when it arrives and will post feedback in this thread.

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
I have a UB820 and an Epson LS10000 (with a HP 2.8 screen) and do SDR/BT2020. I find that the middle luminance setting (1000 nits) gives me more "punch in colors" and detail than the basic lcd/projector setting (500) nits. Coming from the UB700, I can say that the improvement from the HDR Optimizer is definitely noticable.
If you have any tools to measure, can you please measure the BT2020 color gamut while in the HDR optimizer (dynamic tone mapping) mode and confirm that it is, indeed, meeting this standard?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Sorry no measuring equipment here but my Epson was professionally calibrated to BT2020 and I could not see a difference between the UB700 SDR/BT2020 and the UB820 SDR/BT2020. On the contrary what was shown in the video with the white pixels brightening the colors without HDR Optimizer seems to be true. Colors seem to look better with Optimizer engaged.

@zombie10k I am looking forward to your results. :)

Found the video which I was referencing above:

https://youtu.be/FZs-BPzRrbM?t=6m46s

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you even utilize the HDR slider since your PJ gamma was calibrated? I just sold my Phillips BDP7501 and pre-ordered the UB820. I'm expecting a world of difference with my Epson 5040ub due to never having had the HDR slider option before, never having and optimizer tone mapped at the source before, and never owned the premium Panasonic BD players before.

Think I will see a big difference?
Can't wait to see a post on how the pair together. I have a 5040 as well and I'm dying to pull the trigger... if this will make the most of the projector's limitations.

Reactions: old corps

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I love my UB900 with my JVC X570/RS420. I am really puzzled by the fact that it seems that Panasonic may not bring the new series to the USA. Have you heard any confirmation on whether it will be distributed here?

With Oppo out of the picture it's Panasonics market to take, in my opinion.
It's my understanding that Best Buy will be offering it soon.

·
Premium Member
14,868 Posts

Oh you fancy with that ChadB cal!! I've been tempted too many times to have him come through and hook me up. I really outa get on that... after I change out screens.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts

Oh you fancy with that ChadB cal!! I've been tempted too many times to have him come through and hook me up. I really outa get on that... after I change out screens.
I highly recommend it. Game changer.

·
Banned
517 Posts
Has anyone had a chance to compare the ubd900 vs the 820..the pq shouldn't be that different..curious if the 820 pq is any better because the 900 rocks ..

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Has anyone had a chance to compare the ubd900 vs the 820..the pq shouldn't be that different..curious if the 820 pq is any better because the 900 rocks ..
I think we are at the point of diminishing returns. I am very happy with my UB900 as well.

The only thing I wonder about is whether the UB900 can support Dolby Vision and HDR 10+ with a firmware update. Does anyone know?

The UB820 will support HDR 10+ (I think I read that) and then will get a Dolby Vision firmware update.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
I suspect the picture quality will be the same. However, if your display accepts HDR10+ and Dolby Vision, the 820 is an obvious choice to purchase in my mind.

However, for us projector folks, it's more iffy. The dynamic HDR Optimizer sounds cool, but will it make a truly noticeable difference? I'm not so sure. I hope so.

Reactions: bigzee3

·
Registered
235 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the 820. I have a projector so probably could have gotten the 900 but I'm hoping the HDR options can help. If not at least it should (hopefully) be now worse than the 900. Can't wait for it to arrive! I'm surprised with the upcoming arrival there's still no page on the panasonic's US sales website.

·
Registered
11,538 Posts
I went ahead and ordered the 820. I have a projector so probably could have gotten the 900 but I'm hoping the HDR options can help. If not at least it should (hopefully) be now worse than the 900. Can't wait for it to arrive! I'm surprised with the upcoming arrival there's still no page on the panasonic's US sales website.
I debated saving the $100 and getting the 900 as well, but in the end thought the 820 might be worth it. If I already owned a 900 I'm not sure it would be worth the upgrade price.

·
ISF III Calibrator
524 Posts
Can't wait to see a post on how the pair together. I have a 5040 as well and I'm dying to pull the trigger... if this will make the most of the projector's limitations.
I'll be updating with screen shots right after Robert at valueelectronics sends me the goods. Should be shipping out from NY to LA on July 27 according to Robert. They have a great price on it too.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'll be updating with screen shots right after Robert at valueelectronics sends me the goods. Should be shipping out from NY to LA on July 27 according to Robert. They have a great price on it too.
I'm on the fence, but leaning very close to ordering this to see how it plays with the Epson 5040. I'm pretty happy with HarperVision but I'm wondering if I can ditch all the complexities and run a basic non-gamma altered HDR picture mode again. I'm just worried the optimizer is being marketed up as a silver bullet for projectors and that the actual results might disappoint.

21 - 40 of 9446 Posts