AVS Forum banner

4401 - 4420 of 8079 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thank you very very much for that information! I’m not too familiar with Harmony. So once its set up via the remote does the myharmony app allow for basically all of the features of control or not as many?
All functions - the subtitle function in the harmony is wrong though so you need to currently fix it with a panasonic remote teaching it until Logitech fix it. And as we've recently discovered, that function isn't on the 820 remote, only the 900 and 9000 remotes.
Great, thank you again so very much!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Thank you very very much for that information! I’m not too familiar with Harmony. So once its set up via the remote does the myharmony app allow for basically all of the features of control or not as many?
The myharmony app is something you download to your computer. Then you hook up whatever Harmony remote you own (they have several different versions) to your computer via a USB cable, and then the myharmony app allows you to program the remote to work your devices. For example, using the myharmony app, you select the UB820 from their list of devices, and it downloads onto the Harmony remote all the functions of the 820 remote. And you can set up "Activities" also, like "Watch TV," "Watch A Movie," etc. You can also change the function of various buttons on the Harmony remote, etc. The Harmony remotes are pretty cool and very easy to program with the myharmony app.
Oh yeah I’ve heard about them being pretty fantastic. I was wondering, however, if the harmony app was available via iPhone to control the 820 the same as the remote after setup would?

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Oh yeah I’ve heard about them being pretty fantastic. I was wondering, however, if the harmony app was available via iPhone to control the 820 the same as the remote after setup would?
The “Harmony Hub” has iPhone control. Here is a link to their basic one, I have the Harmony Elite (hub + remote) because the remote has a screen and also iPhone control if I want it. There is even a widget for the Harmony app so you can control it from your home & lock screen...

I personally dislike iPhone control, remotes are much simpler, but the Harmony Elite is expensive...

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
The “Harmony Hub” has iPhone control. Here is a link to their basic one, I have the Harmony Elite (hub + remote) because the remote has a screen and also iPhone control if I want it. There is even a widget for the Harmony app so you can control it from your home & lock screen...

I personally dislike iPhone control, remotes are much simpler, but the Harmony Elite is expensive...
I'd agree I like the hardware remote control better, as I can use it more or less by touch, as I've got the buttons programmed as I like for all activities. I do have the smartphone and tablet apps installed, but I use them more for the editing functions.

But that Harmony hub plus smartphone app is DEFINITELY a lot more affordable way of getting that functionality.

·
Registered
505 Posts

I personally dislike iPhone control, remotes are much simpler, but the Harmony Elite is expensive...[/QUOTE

Thanks so very much, this is the exact information I was looking for!

·
Registered
974 Posts
That explains why subtitle doesn’t work when you program the 9000 into the harmony from their software....the command is incorrect. Sounds like I need to track down a 900 or 9000 as you suggested.
Contact Harmony customer support. They’ll fix the command.

Pip

·
Registered
974 Posts
I had already, and did it again yesterday. They obviously hadn't fixed it previously given the comments here, even though I advised them my account had the correct code reprogrammed.
Sorry to hear that. Have you tried posting on the AVS Harmony forum? Harmony CS seems to monitor those threads.

Hope they take care of you.

Pip

·
Registered
108 Posts
My Netflix is only playing 2 channel stereo for some reason. I don't have Atmos, but the normal stream (no 4K) is now 2.0.

Amazon Prime hasn't changed, so I don't know what the deal is.
I think that the biggest problem with Amazon prime is that they don't stream in 24p. IDK how a player at this price point, designed for this type of user, does not have 24p support for all streaming. It is beyond stupid.

Alas, I still have a Sony X800 which streams Netflix and Amazon Prime flawlessly. Unfortunately it is just about useless as a disc player (constant lockups). So, yes, I have the X800 solely for streaming as the UB820 is straight trash for it...

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I'm confused. The UB820 remote does not have subtitle button to learn.

In the Harmony software you went into buttons, selected the UB820, selected fix command, selected subtitle, connected your harmony elite remote to the PC and then it asks you to point the panasonic remote at the harmony remote and press the subtitle button....what button are you selecting on the panasonic UB820 remote since there isn't a subtitle button?

thanks!
Doesn't it? Damn. I've had a 900 and a 9000 and they both did, and I expect the command is the same. I wonder if there is some other way to program it without getting a 900 or 9000 remote. Or borrow one.

I wish harmony had straight export import facilities
That explains why subtitle doesn’t work when you program the 9000 into the harmony from their software....the command is incorrect. Sounds like I need to track down a 900 or 9000 as you suggested.
All functions - the subtitle function in the harmony is wrong though so you need to currently fix it with a panasonic remote teaching it until Logitech fix it. And as we've recently discovered, that function isn't on the 820 remote, only the 900 and 9000 remotes.
I've got the UB-820, and it has a button labeled "CC" for close caption, but brings up the Subtitle Menu.

I have a Harmony Remote and Hub, and was able to program one of the buttons to call up the Subtitle Menu without any difficulty.

This should therefore be possible for anyone, unless there are possibly some country based variations.

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
I've got the UB-820, and it has a button labeled "CC" for close caption, but brings up the Subtitle Menu.

I have a Harmony Remote and Hub, and was able to program one of the buttons to call up the Subtitle Menu without any difficulty.

This should therefore be possible for anyone, unless there are possibly some country based variations.
Ah great, so the 820 CC button does the same as the subtitle button. Saves needing to track down a 900 or 9000 remote.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Ah great, so the 820 CC button does the same as the subtitle button. Saves needing to track down a 900 or 9000 remote.
Tracked down the Hex code for the subtitle function and Logitech added it to my device in probably 2 hours. Ridiculously fast. Really pleased with their CS.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Anyone else have freezes playing black hawk down? Mine would freeze everything 15 minutes or so. I ordered a replacement disc, but I saw on other forums people having freezing with that disc and the 820.

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
My black Hawk Down played flawlessly on my 820, the theatrical cut not the extended.

Reactions: bigzee3

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone else have freezes playing black hawk down? Mine would freeze everything 15 minutes or so. I ordered a replacement disc, but I saw on other forums people having freezing with that disc and the 820.
I watched the Extended Cut and had no freezes but did notice some very subtle lag at certain parts, which I presume is due to the seamless branching. The most noticeable was during the firefight where the soldier had to pick up an arm.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I watched the Extended Cut and had no freezes but did notice some very subtle lag at certain parts, which I presume is due to the seamless branching. The most noticeable was during the firefight where the soldier had to pick up an arm.
I'm guessing it is that as well. Mine would freeze for about 2 seconds and then continue. The first scene was when the are in the helicopter talking about how the water is warm and full of sharks. The freeze happens when it cuts to the next scene....whether it is the extended or standard cut.

Is there a good way to get this kind of information to Panasonic?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
I ordered the 9000 remote from Mandis in Spain. Already shipped last week guessing about 2 weeks or so before it arrives.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts

Mine freezes in the same places unless I select the DTS Master 5.1.

The presence of both seamless branching and Atmos plus the use of the dual HDMI outputs might be creating the problem in my set-up. Fortunately, I can work around it. The other title that causes the same problem is The Professional, which doesn't have an alternate hi-res soundtrack. I can default the 820 to send lower res and I can view without a problem.

I think that I'll have to troubleshoot by taking the dual-HDMI out of the equation. I suppose my Prepro could be the culprit even though I'm not even sending video to it.

I own nearly 150 UHDs. This is thankfully very, very uncommon!

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
Mine freezes in the same places unless I select the DTS Master 5.1.

The presence of both seamless branching and Atmos plus the use of the dual HDMI outputs might be creating the problem in my set-up. Fortunately, I can work around it. The other title that causes the same problem is The Professional, which doesn't have an alternate hi-res soundtrack. I can default the 820 to send lower res and I can view without a problem.

I think that I'll have to troubleshoot by taking the dual-HDMI out of the equation. I suppose my Prepro could be the culprit even though I'm not even sending video to it.

I own nearly 150 UHDs. This is thankfully very, very uncommon!

Interesting. I didn't try the DTSMA 5.1 track. I will try that and see what happens. This is the first disc I've ever had an issue with. I am running dual HDMI outs as well for split audio/video.

4401 - 4420 of 8079 Posts