AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 8610 Posts

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
I'm on the fence, but leaning very close to ordering this to see how it plays with the Epson 5040. I'm pretty happy with HarperVision but I'm wondering if I can ditch all the complexities and run a basic non-gamma altered HDR picture mode again. I'm just worried the optimizer is being marketed up as a silver bullet for projectors and that the actual results might disappoint.
From what I hear the results on really bright tv's like the Z9D are less impressive than dim displays under 1000nits or lower like projectors.

The OLED and Super Bright settings on the optimizer are for 1000nit and 1500nit roll off. If your display gets brighter than that or right there, you're not going to see the difference, but for something like an OLED maxing at around 800 nits or a projector which we all know is ungodly dim in comparison to panels, you will see a noticeable uptick in quality due to the metadata roll off occurring at the source and a stable hdr signal being sent to your less than optimal HDR display.

Some in the UK and elsewhere are already reporting great noticeable results for OLED's and projectors. I can't wait! Wish someone would throw up a bunch of screen shots.

·
Registered
94 Posts
From what I hear the results on really bright tv's like the Z9D are less impressive than dim displays under 1000nits or lower like projectors.

The OLED and Super Bright settings on the optimizer are for 1000nit and 1500nit roll off. If your display gets brighter than that or right there, you're not going to see the difference, but for something like an OLED maxing at around 800 nits or a projector which we all know is ungodly dim in comparison to panels, you will see a noticeable uptick in quality due to the metadata roll off occurring at the source and a stable hdr signal being sent to your less than optimal HDR display.

Some in the UK and elsewhere are already reporting great noticeable results for OLED's and projectors. I can't wait! Wish someone would throw up a bunch of screen shots.
Yeah, I've been trying to keep up with informative threads about this player and have read much of the same. Also, with a projector I would hope the optimizer makes it easy to have a single definitive HDR calibration that can be used as reference for all media. I've seen people doing separate calibrations depending on how the media was mastered (ie 1000, 5000, 10000 nits).

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
Yeah, I've been trying to keep up with informative threads about this player and have read much of the same. Also, with a projector I would hope the optimizer makes it easy to have a single definitive HDR calibration that can be used as reference for all media. I've seen people doing separate calibrations depending on how the media was mastered (ie 1000, 5000, 10000 nits).
Yea. Took me a year of non professional fiddling until I found a good bright HDR setting for all content that was acceptable. Partly because of all the firmware updates changing things on us.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'll be updating with screen shots right after Robert at valueelectronics sends me the goods. Should be shipping out from NY to LA on July 27 according to Robert. They have a great price on it too.

I guess they cab’t ship it on the 23rd like they have stated on the website?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
I debated saving the $100 and getting the 900 as well, but in the end thought the 820 might be worth it. If I already owned a 900 I'm not sure it would be worth the upgrade price.
The (HDR) conversion in the 900 is static whereas the Tone Mapping in the 820 is Dynamic so, theoretically at least, the 820 should be superior in that regard---and therefor worth the $100 difference. Can't wait for Zombie to get his hands on one for testing.

·
Banned
517 Posts
I debated saving the $100 and getting the 900 as well, but in the end thought the 820 might be worth it. If I already owned a 900 I'm not sure it would be worth the upgrade price.
The (HDR) conversion in the 900 is static whereas the Tone Mapping in the 820 is Dynamic so, theoretically at least, the 820 should be superior in that regard---and therefor worth the $100 difference. Can't wait for Zombie to get his hands on one for testing.
Wait !what does that mean,? so if I pop in a 4k hdr movie on a 4k player on the 820 or 900 wouldn't the pq be the same or close enough

·
Registered
11,489 Posts
Wait !what does that mean,? so if I pop in a 4k hdr movie on a 4k player on the 820 or 900 wouldn't the pq be the same or close enough
He is saying that for HDR the 820, on paper, has the advantage. For non-HDR movies I would suspect the PQ would be very close. If you already own a 900 I would wait and see real world results. If you need a player and HDR matters to you the extra $100 to buy the 820 is likely worth it.

·
Premium Member
6,500 Posts
I guess they cab’t ship it on the 23rd like they have stated on the website?
While I share your disappointment VE initially said the UB820 was shipping the week of the 23rd - not on the 23rd. Now as pointed out by Evan201 the website specifically states that shipment begins Friday, July 27th.

·
Premium Member
12,500 Posts
Ordered mine:

Description Unit price Qty Amount
Panasonic UB820 4K HDR BD player
Item# UB820 XXX USD 1 XXX USD
Subtotal XXX USD
Total XXX USD
Payment sent to [email protected]*********************

Reactions: WOLVERNOLE

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
Can't wait to see a post on how the pair together. I have a 5040 as well and I'm dying to pull the trigger... if this will make the most of the projector's limitations.

Robert from value electronics tested the disable 60hz function with the epson 5040. works fine for 4k 24hz 12 Bit BT2020 4:2:2 which is the maximum the epson can handle. Having him see if H.265 test patterns can play through the USB ports. The rear USB is 3.0 and the front USB on the 820 is USB 2.0 just an FYI. I'm curious about the USB H.265 playback because I have R. Masciola HDR patterns I'd like to run through for new calibration with the HDR optimizer and sliders.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Robert from value electronics tested the disable 60hz function with the epson 5040. works fine for 4k 24hz 12 Bit BT2020 4:2:2 which is the maximum the epson can handle. Having him see if H.265 test patterns can play through the USB ports. The rear USB is 3.0 and the front USB on the 820 is USB 2.0 just an FYI. I'm curious about the USB H.265 playback because I have R. Masciola HDR patterns I'd like to run through for new calibration with the HDR optimizer and sliders.
If possible, should also try and confirm if Netflix HDR (and any other streaming apps available) work correctly at 4k 24hz 12-bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
12,500 Posts
I'd be curious, up to this point Netflix and Amazon have been 60hz output on Panny players...

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts
If possible, should also try and confirm if Netflix HDR (and any other streaming apps available) work correctly at 4k 24hz 12-bit.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If I'm not mistaken, I believe Netflix HDR is delivering 60hz refresh rate. Vudu and Amazon HDR are 24hz. At least on my shield it seems this way.

On my Nvidia Shield with Epson I can get HDR from all of them, but for Netflix I have to set 1080p 60hz 12 Bit BT2020 4:2:2 to get it. I'm fine with that since there is really no difference on my 105" screen between the 4k resolution and 1080p with pixel shift.

·
Premium Member
12,500 Posts
This is device specific, let's not get it confused.

Netflix and Amazon can vary from 24hz, 50, 60hz depending on the content. If you have a device (Like the shield) that only outputs Netflix at 60hz, its the device flaw, now how Netflix is set.

Reactions: old corps

·
Registered
8,293 Posts
Anyone have any comments about the interface? I need a second UHD player, but I'm not a huge fan of the interface on my current UB400.

Netflix and Amazon can vary from 24hz, 50, 60hz depending on the content. If you have a device (Like the shield) that only outputs Netflix at 60hz, its the device flaw, now how Netflix is set.
Indeed. I was running the test videos on Netflix and when I tried one video there were all sorts of weird artifacts for the 4K video. It turns out it was because I was playing back the 50 Hz video on a 60 Hz. TV. Once I switched to the 60 Hz version, all was good.

·
ISF III Calibrator
519 Posts

Ah thanks. That would explain getting some HDR stuff but not all HDR stuff when set to 1080p 60hz on shield. I think the Luke Cage worked and some others offered in HDR weren't working. Annoying, but whatever.

·
Premium Member
12,500 Posts
Ah thanks. That would explain getting some HDR stuff but not all HDR stuff when set to 1080p 60hz on shield. I think the Luke Cage worked and some others offered in HDR weren't working. Annoying, but whatever.
Yeah, it is a PITA apps dont work consistently.

Sony players output Netflix and Amazon in 24hz or 60hz
The ATV has show me 24, 50 and 60hz
Panny players that I have used for streaming Amazon and Netflix lately only output 60hz
I also have the new Dune Pro 4K, it only outputs Netflix as 60hz as well

They should all act like the ATV4K and output the framerate and dynamic range of the source, not what they feel like.

41 - 60 of 8610 Posts