AVS Forum banner

6461 - 6480 of 8090 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
My TV (LG 55SM8600PUA) supports both HDR10 (but not 10+) and Dolby Vision.
Sure, I answered to a member with a legacy HD display, in which case the HDR settings are ignored, including display type, also when paying an UHD/HDR disc.
At least it is here on my projector, but perhaps there is something I've missed?

By the way, what was your issue? I forgot😊

·
Registered
4,790 Posts
Sure, I answered to a member with a legacy HD display, in which case the HDR settings are ignored, including display type, also when paying an UHD/HDR disc.
At least it is here on my projector, but perhaps there is something I've missed?

By the way, what was your issue? I forgot😊
Oh. The post you quoted was in reference to my earlier posts about the issue I was having so I assumed yours was also.

My problem was bands of hazy light around bright objects with dark backgrounds going really black. Turned out to be the LED Local Dimming does not perform very well so I leave it turned off. I found and referenced a review of the tv in an earlier post that talks about the issue.

·
Registered
710 Posts
I've read so many threads on variations of this question my eyes have glazed over. :eek: Access to my equipment is a real hassle so testing multiple wiring configs is a PIA!

My confusion is in regards to the UB820 and its two HDMI connections (Audio Out or Video/Audio Out). Here’s the deal:
I have a UB820.
My 4K TV is an older 2016 LG OLED.
My AVR is a newer Yamaha RZ-A2080 which supports 4K/60p is HDCP2.2 compliant, Dolby Vision, Atmos, dtsX, 4K UHD pass-through etc.

Question: Would I be better off letting the UB820 handle the video processing by connecting the UB820 video out directly to my OLED (disabling any TV processing) and only connect Audio Out to my AVR… or would I be better off using a single cable connecting the UB820 Video/Audio out straight to my AVR?

Adding to my confusion: "if" I would be better off running two HDMI cables … how do I interpret the the following statement in the setup menu of the 820 which makes a two cable connection sound like a bad idea:

Video+Audio
Video are Audio are output from HDMI(AUDIO OUT) 4K video and High Dynamic Range video cannot be output when both HDMI(VIDEO OUT) and (AUDIO OUT) are connected at the same time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
I've read so many threads on variations of this question my eyes have glazed over. :eek: Access to my equipment is a real hassle so testing multiple wiring configs is a PIA!

My confusion is in regards to the UB820 and its two HDMI connections (Audio Out or Video/Audio Out). Here’s the deal:
I have a UB820.
My 4K TV is an older 2016 LG OLED.
My AVR is a newer Yamaha RZ-A2080 which supports 4K/60p is HDCP2.2 compliant, Dolby Vision, Atmos, dtsX, 4K UHD pass-through etc.

Question: Would I be better off letting the UB820 handle the video processing by connecting the UB820 video out directly to my OLED (disabling any TV processing) and only connect Audio Out to my AVR… or would I be better off using a single cable connecting the UB820 Video/Audio out straight to my AVR?

Adding to my confusion: "if" I would be better off running two HDMI cables … how do I interpret the the following statement in the setup menu of the 820 which makes a two cable connection sound like a bad idea:

Video+Audio
Video are Audio are output from HDMI(AUDIO OUT) 4K video and High Dynamic Range video cannot be output when both HDMI(VIDEO OUT) and (AUDIO OUT) are connected at the same time.
Looks to me that you are better off just running one cable from the 820 to you AVR out of the video/audio port.. Set your AVR to pass through for the video and you should be all set..
Gerry

·
Registered
710 Posts
Looks to me that you are better off just running one cable from the 820 to you AVR out of the video/audio port.. Set your AVR to pass through for the video and you should be all set..
Gerry
Yep...thanks! While contemplating a reply... I found the following in a different version of the 820 Owners Manual... different from the 820 Owners Manual I received with my unit.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm seeing some bad lip sync issues on my Netflix app that isn't present on discs. Anyone else had this issue? This is playing 1080p HDR content FYI.

·
Registered
4,018 Posts
ATV will not permit you to see or order a rental or purchase on VUDU, but once you make the rental or purchase on an alternate device (Roku), it becomes avaiable in the MY section of the VUDU app and ATV will then play it.

I'd note, the ATV movie rental option does have the bonus of NOT up charging for the higher quality playback options, so we have begun ordering our movie rentals thru the ATV option instead of VUDU.

There is some feedback, the ATV sourced movie rentals and purchases are better quality than VUDU, but I have not confirmed this yet.

Happy Holiday Movie Days
That would be very interesting if someone has the comparisons of the 2. I would be interested for sure, as I have been on the fence about getting an 4K ATV.

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
I'm seeing some bad lip sync issues on my Netflix app that isn't present on discs. Anyone else had this issue? This is playing 1080p HDR content FYI.
A number of us have seen this as well, and I don't recall any 'fix' as such, unfortunately.

I am now using my Roku for Netflix at this point, so am avoiding the issue, rather than resolving it.

·
Registered
710 Posts
A number of us have seen this as well, and I don't recall any 'fix' as such, unfortunately.

I am now using my Roku for Netflix at this point, so am avoiding the issue, rather than resolving it.
Same here. Tested it after reading a couple comments but is not an issue for me because I also use a Roku. I would consider the lip sync issue to be pretty minimal...however, its just enough that it would make me crazy.

FYI: Before getting the 820 I read in a review somewhere that the 820 was considered to be the Best-Bang-for-the-Buck disc player... but all of its strong points were associated with its ability to play discs and not for its streaming capabilities. The author suggested buying it as a disc player and consider getting a streaming device like Roku, AppleTV, Firestick etc. I picked up a Roku Ultra last during BF last year and have never looked back. You can now find them new sealed box on eBay for as low as $26! NET: My AVR, TV, Tivo and 820 all have streaming capabilities ... but... none of them are as easy to navigate or as problem free as the Roku.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Double check your AVR settings...Ensure you don’t have audio lip sync on...I found that to cause an issue with Netflix audio on the 820. After that you could also try adjusting the audio delay.
If your using both hdmi out on the 820 (audio out / video out)... a dealer advised me....audio sync is a known issue.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
If your display is standard HD (like my projector) then the player will output HD/SDR/REC.709 and all HDR settings, like display type, will be ignored.
At least that's what I see here.
Yes, and I don't use the OLED setting because OLED sets are capable of playing brighter than my plasma.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Would a Panasonic UB820 provide a noticeable improvement in picture quality( using ultra blu ray discs) over my Sony UBPx800? The video signal is being fed directly via HDMI to my Sony VW350es projector, which of course is not HDR capable. I'm wondering if the tone mapping feature of the Panny would be worth it in my setup.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Would a Panasonic UB820 provide a noticeable improvement in picture quality( using ultra blu ray discs) over my Sony UBPx800? The video signal is being fed directly via HDMI to my Sony VW350es projector, which of course is not HDR capable. I'm wondering if the tone mapping feature of the Panny would be worth it in my setup.
For projectors, it makes a very noticeable difference.

The SDR2020 conversion and the dynamic slider are ideal.

Reactions: Bytehoven

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I previously posted a guide very similar to this aimed at JVC projector owners, details on that here.

Panasonic UB420 / UB820 & SDR2020 (aka, the projector solution)

The Panasonic UB420 & UB820 are the answer for physical 4K media. With the built-in SDR2020 Tone Mapping, 4K discs behave exactly like HD discs and you never have to deal with HDR shenanigans or titles looking 'dark'. The UB420/UB820 will make you think you bought a new projector. Configured with the settings below, your projector will not see a ‘HDR’ signal so it will not probably not switch to whatever Gamma curve your projector uses. The UB820 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending a ‘full range’ signal to the projector so you are not leaving any color or brightness 'on the table'. You get beautiful high resolution and wide color gamut images without the hassle. :cool:

The UB420 or UB820 is worth every single penny and your only regret will be waiting this long to get it.

For projectors the UB420 & UB820 are functionally identical (420 doesn’t support Dolby Vision but neither do projectors). I even tested disc load times and streaming times. The UB420 & UB820 are identical. The only difference I could find was the UB820 has DV support and Optical Down Sampling goes to 192kHz on the UB820 and only 96kHz on the UB420. I only use HDMI so that doesn't matter either.

Panasonic UB420 / UB820 Optimal Settings for Projectors (SDR2020):

On the UB420 / UB820:
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>SDR/BT.2020
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>HDR TV Type>Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
Settings>Audio>Settings for High Clarity Sound>Front Panel Display>Off (UB820 preference)

On the UB420 / UB820 During 4K Disc Playback:
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>HDR Optimizer>On (preference)
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment>+4 to +8 (preference)

Regarding HDR Optimizer, you lose some brightness but gain detail in explosions and similar. I started with this off but now have it on. Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment will depend a lot on your screen size, bigger screens will want more. I have left the other settings at defaults (so far).

On the Projector (JVC specific settings here):
Color Profile>BT.2020
Gamma>2.4

·
Registered
164 Posts
I previously posted a guide very similar to this aimed at JVC projector owners, details on that here.

Panasonic UB420 / UB820 & SDR2020 (aka, the projector solution)

The Panasonic UB420 & UB820 are the answer for physical 4K media. With the built-in SDR2020 Tone Mapping, 4K discs behave exactly like HD discs and you never have to deal with HDR shenanigans or titles looking 'dark'. The UB420/UB820 will make you think you bought a new projector. Configured with the settings below, your projector will not see a ‘HDR’ signal so it will not probably not switch to whatever Gamma curve your projector uses. The UB820 is still interpreting the HDR data off the disc and sending a ‘full range’ signal to the projector so you are not leaving any color or brightness 'on the table'. You get beautiful high resolution and wide color gamut images without the hassle. :cool:

The UB420 or UB820 is worth every single penny and your only regret will be waiting this long to get it.

For projectors the UB420 & UB820 are functionally identical (420 doesn’t support Dolby Vision but neither do projectors). I even tested disc load times and streaming times. The UB420 & UB820 are identical. The only difference I could find was the UB820 has DV support and Optical Down Sampling goes to 192kHz on the UB820 and only 96kHz on the UB420. I only use HDMI so that doesn't matter either.

Panasonic UB420 / UB820 Optimal Settings for Projectors (SDR2020):

On the UB420 / UB820:
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>SDR/BT.2020
Settings>HDMI>Advanced>HDR/Color Gamut Output>HDR TV Type>Basic Luminance LCD and Projector
Settings>Audio>Settings for High Clarity Sound>Front Panel Display>Off (UB820 preference)

On the UB420 / UB820 During 4K Disc Playback:
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>HDR Optimizer>On (preference)
Options (remote button)>Video Settings>Optimum HDR Adjustment>Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment>+4 to +8 (preference)

Regarding HDR Optimizer, you lose some brightness but gain detail in explosions and similar. I started with this off but now have it on. Dynamic Range Conversion Adjustment will depend a lot on your screen size, bigger screens will want more. I have left the other settings at defaults (so far).

On the Projector (JVC specific settings here):
Color Profile>BT.2020
Gamma>2.4
Thanks! Gonna try this out on my Epson 5040UB. I'm currently using Harpervision (sending HDR from UB820 & then setting projector to SDR colour profile). I'm thinking this could be even better.

·
Registered
139 Posts
you heard right. Panasonic intentionally disabled high resolution audio unless it is coming from a spinning disc. the picture quality easily bests my oppo 203 nevertheless I use the oppo for 4k playback from movies on hdd saved to .mkv format. i kept the Panasonic for the phenomenal upscaling of blu-ray discs

So... I bought a UB420, thinking that when streaming material (from my NAS) with hi-res audio tracks, I'd be able to select the non hi-res soundtracks in the same way I do on my Oppo 203. However, when I stream movies using the Panny I am completely unable to choose ANY soundtracks - the machine seems to select a soundtrack for me and gives me no option to change it. Which in itself is a bummer, but when the soundtrack the machine chooses is the high res one, and I'm completely powerless to change it, the movie is essentially unwatchable - fine if one happens to be deaf and use subtitles. The PQ is great, but personally I do like to have sound. Before I put this machine on Ebay I'd like to know if there's a setting I may have missed that will enable me to select the soundtracks I wish to play when streaming - which I do 99.9% of the time.

·
Registered
9,208 Posts
According to a Panasonic dealer on another forum, there will be no replacement for the 820 or 9000 next year.
Woah, I really hope that turns out to be wrong. We'll know at CES in a few week's time either way.

·
Registered
49 Posts
What would it be replaced with? There is no major missing feature that it needs. Hdmi 2.1 would do nothing for it. They won't replace it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

6461 - 6480 of 8090 Posts