AVS Forum banner

7321 - 7340 of 8059 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
I definitely obtain better results using the HDR2020 setting, with for example better colour space conversion. The Epson’s HDR1 setting is set-up to tone map 1000 nits.
I haven't got the S&M disc to check but I've been using SDR2020 on my Epson projector with the panny and the color using digital cinema mode looks really good. With lifting the DR converter I can get the image to pop a lot more. Would be keen to see your HDR settings based on the test patterns!

·
Registered
232 Posts
UB820 vs. UB824

What's the difference in the UB820 and UB824, just a regional/distribution difference?

No other player tops HDR optimization right now?

Nothing new coming up that you guys know?

Will use this player with an Epson 6050UB.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I haven't got the S&M disc to check but I've been using SDR2020 on my Epson projector with the panny and the color using digital cinema mode looks really good. With lifting the DR converter I can get the image to pop a lot more. Would be keen to see your HDR settings based on the test patterns!
I’m using an Epson 4040 so my settings are not going to directly correspond to a 5040’s. Suffice to say, what I settled on is not much different than the default settings. There are many patterns intended for calibrators available on the disc but in the absence of equipment and better expertise, for the average end user; there are only a few things to evaluate; brightness, colour space, sharpness, etc. Minimal changes to colour and tint and typically no change to contrast are recommended.

All this being said, I still have other HDR settings Adapted from others’ that I’ve kept and use from time-to-time, including a slightly modified Harpervision.

The S&M disc is good with the 820, but it’s frustrating to have so many unusable patterns on it. I could obviously pay for a calibration but I expect to change my projector within a couple of years.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
What's the difference in the UB820 and UB824, just a regional/distribution difference?
Please see >>THIS POST<<. HTH
Edit: the NL website has been updated since - so I've updated that post too :)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Wow, what an utter mess!

Thank you very much!

The 824 is $100 more expensive here in Sweden.

Makes the 820 a no-brainer.
Just be mindful of region restrictions. Won't matter much for UHD blu-rays but will for regular blu-rays and DVD's. The 820 and 824 have different region coding.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi there i was wondering if someone could assist me trying to stream Netflix with atmos through my Panasonic player I can’t get it to work I own a Yamaha 3060 strange because I had a UB900 and that streamed 4K atmos no problem
I feel like I have gone backwards in the audio dept sadly any advice would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Hi there i was wondering if someone could assist me trying to stream Netflix with atmos through my Panasonic player I can’t get it to work I own a Yamaha 3060 strange because I had a UB900 and that streamed 4K atmos no problem
I feel like I have gone backwards in the audio dept sadly any advice would be greatly appreciated

I might be wrong but when I first got my ub9000 I had the same issue. Go Into settings and make sure you have Dolby Vision on I believe that is what solved the issue for me. It was over a year ago.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes, essentially.

When you send SDR2020, you're sending the same information except without the HDR metadata that tells the projector it's HDR. So you're still getting all the information, but your projector won't go into a mode that was an issue for some projector gamma curve functions.

With SDR2020, the 820 can TONE MAP the image so that you're still benefiting from the improvement for bright and dark detail like HDR is supposed to do, and you're getting the 2020 color file along with it. That's what the "HDR" thing is for us as consumers.

There is a very noticeable improvement in depth, color, and highlights as a result. Even though your projector can only project around 350 nits, not enough for true HDR, you still get the benefits. Then you can push the slider up a few notches to get it brighter if you want (I've settle on 2.)

The PQ is stunning. Not sure of your projector, but set it up for BT2020 color profile, D6500 color temp, and a 2.4 gamma. Then set the 820 to SDR2020, turn the optimizer on, adjust the dynamic range slider to your liking, and see what you think.
Does this require an HDFury device paired with an Epson 6050UB?

Would the Epson handle the SDR2020 signal correctly, being able to put the P3 filter in place, without adding any HDR curves?

I assume that you might need an HDFury device for this to work properly, hence my question.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Yes, essentially.

When you send SDR2020, you're sending the same information except without the HDR metadata that tells the projector it's HDR. So you're still getting all the information, but your projector won't go into a mode that was an issue for some projector gamma curve functions.

With SDR2020, the 820 can TONE MAP the image so that you're still benefiting from the improvement for bright and dark detail like HDR is supposed to do, and you're getting the 2020 color file along with it. That's what the "HDR" thing is for us as consumers.

There is a very noticeable improvement in depth, color, and highlights as a result. Even though your projector can only project around 350 nits, not enough for true HDR, you still get the benefits. Then you can push the slider up a few notches to get it brighter if you want (I've settle on 2.)

The PQ is stunning. Not sure of your projector, but set it up for BT2020 color profile, D6500 color temp, and a 2.4 gamma. Then set the 820 to SDR2020, turn the optimizer on, adjust the dynamic range slider to your liking, and see what you think.
Does this require an HDFury device paired with an Epson 6050UB?

Would the Epson handle the SDR2020 signal correctly, being able to put the P3 filter in place, without adding any HDR curves?

I assume that you might need an HDFury device for this to work properly, hence my question.

Thank you.
Removing HDR metadata with an HDfury device is not the same has having the UB820 tone map in SDR/BT2020 output mode.

Removing HDR metadata still requires that the display device apply an HDR gamma and tone map. If you put your display into a non-HDR mode with a Gamma 2.4, the colors would be way off.

Sending SDR/BT2020 output requires a Gamma 2.4 (some use 2.2). If you put your display into its HDR mode, the colors would be way off.

And no, you don't need an HDfury device for SDR/BT2020 output instead of HDR with the UB820. Just choose the SDR/BT2020 option in the UB820. The earlier generation UB900 required an HDfury device since it did not include such an option.

I don't have an Epson so I can't answer whether it would automatically engage its P3 filter and a 2.4 gamma.

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
Just be mindful of region restrictions. Won't matter much for UHD blu-rays but will for regular blu-rays and DVD's. The 820 and 824 have different region coding.
Yes and no, that's not quite right, sorry because there's more than one "820" :). I'm in the UK and if I buy a DP-UB820 from them Panasonic UK, I would get a DP-UB820EB, which is the UK model with a UK plug, it would be Region 2 for DVD and Region B for Blu-ray. But it's still very much an 820! :). The PDF manual says "Model number suffix “EB” denotes UK model."

There's also a DP-UB820EG model but the PDF manual for that doesn't give any clues other than a big "EG" in a box on the cover! Same situation with the PDF manual for the DP-UB824EG model.

If you buy a DP-UB820 in USA you'll get an American model with American plug, it would be Region 1 for DVD and Region A for Blu-Ray.

So if @Vitus4K did want to get an 820, then be super-careful it's an 820EB. But no benefit for him. I would be suspicious the extra cost is for importing an American model which, as you say, would be the wrong region coding. Or it could be pure profiteering, and he'd get a UK 820 identical in every way to his cheaper Euro 824!

Summary:
  • DP-UB820 USA model = Region 1 DVD / Region A Blu-Ray
  • DP-UB820EB UK model = Region 2 DVD / Region B Blu-Ray
  • DP-UB820EG Euro model = Region 2 DVD / Region B Blu-Ray
  • DP-UB824EG Euro model = Region 2 DVD / Region B Blu-Ray
HTH! :)

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
That's not quite right, sorry. I'm in the UK and if I buy a DP-UB820 from them Panasonic UK, I would get a DP-UB820EB, which is the UK model with a UK plug, it would be Region 2 for DVD and Region B for Blu-ray. But it's still very much an 820! :). The PDF manual says "Model number suffix “EB” denotes UK model."

There's also a DP-UB820EG model but the PDF manual for that doesn't give any clues other than a big "EG" in a box on the cover! Same situation with the PDF manual for the DP-UB824EG model.

If you buy a DP-UB820 in USA you'll get an American model with American plug, it would be Region 1 for DVD and Region A for Blu-Ray.

So if @Vitus4K did want to get an 820, then be super-careful it's an 820EB. But no benefit for him. I would be suspicious the extra cost is for importing an American model which, as you say, would be the wrong region coding.

Summary:
I believe the USA model is actually the Canadian model sold in the USA.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
9,131 Posts
I believe the USA model is actually the Canadian model sold in the USA.
Ta. Complicated. Makes me nervous when there is no suffix at all!

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Yes and no, that's not quite right, sorry because there's more than one "820" :). I'm in the UK and if I buy a DP-UB820 from them Panasonic UK, I would get a DP-UB820EB, which is the UK model with a UK plug, it would be Region 2 for DVD and Region B for Blu-ray. But it's still very much an 820! :). The PDF manual says "Model number suffix “EB” denotes UK model."

So if @Vitus4K did want to get an 820, then be super-careful it's an 820EB. But no benefit for him. I would be suspicious the extra cost is for importing an American model which, as you say, would be the wrong region coding. Or it could be pure profiteering, and he'd get a UK 820 identical in every way to his cheaper Euro 824!

Summary:
Thanks for the clarification.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
287 Posts

Earlier in the thread, some found getting Atmos depended on which receiver you had. Denon/Marantz were found to be supporting Atmos but not Yamaha. Unsure if this has subsequently been addressed. Unless the list has been updated, officially the 820 did not show as supporting Atmos with Netflix.

·
Registered
232 Posts
What's a DP-UB820EGK then?

Importing a US-model seems pointless as it's most likely made for 120VAC.

The UK model has a different power plug than the Euro models, so it's useless for me as I live in the Euro region.

The EG seems like the way to go, but I wonder what the added 'K' might be at the end?

7321 - 7340 of 8059 Posts