AVS Forum banner

7401 - 7420 of 8090 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Hi guys, well BB finally got some more stock in, so I ordered a UB820 about a week ago, just showed up on my doorstep (UB820PCK). Is there any special settings I should use w my A8F? Thanks! :)
Not too many settings needed. Put the TV type as OLED and play with turning the HDR optimizer on and off. (hold down the HDR setting button) I liked standard the best. I ended up turning off the HDR optimizer since the Benq HT5550 has really good tone mapping and it appeared to do a better job for me. I do like the added sharpness over the Oppo 203 that it is replacing. Also if you can turn up the sharpness edge control to 1 that helps to reduce ringing.

Mine arrived on Friday of last week also from BB. I don't plan to use any of the onboard streaming apps. I have other devices for that purpose.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Oled E8 owner Technicolor HDR warm2 latest firmware. Also latest 1.60 firmware on UB820. With HDR optimizer turned "On"

Ive been noticing weird a "Pink ringing" artifact around light colored cloud like backgrounds almost has a marcoblocking effect.

Noticed it in Interstellar "Mann's Planet" when they enter the frozen clouds scene.

I turn off HDR optimizer and the issue goes away. real odd.

If anyone has any ideas thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,279 Posts
Does the 820 now have the 500 & 350 nit option just like the UB9000 I was told it does now.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sonos and DP-UB820

Hi, I have the Sonos Beam and the DP-UB820. Does this player convert DTS to Dolby Digital so I can receive 5.1 audio through my beam and rears? Is there a way around this or not?

·
Registered
89 Posts
E8 oled. Any opinions on whether to use dynamic tone mapping "on" along with HDR optimizer "on"
With HDR UHD?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
93 Posts
Not too many settings needed. Put the TV type as OLED and play with turning the HDR optimizer on and off. (hold down the HDR setting button) I liked standard the best. I ended up turning off the HDR optimizer since the Benq HT5550 has really good tone mapping and it appeared to do a better job for me. I do like the added sharpness over the Oppo 203 that it is replacing. Also if you can turn up the sharpness edge control to 1 that helps to reduce ringing.

Mine arrived on Friday of last week also from BB. I don't plan to use any of the onboard streaming apps. I have other devices for that purpose.
Nice, seems like an awesome player so far. PQ is great and I will be playing more w the optimizer. :)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
E8 oled. Any opinions on whether to use dynamic tone mapping "on" along with HDR optimizer "on"
With HDR UHD?

Had my C9 calibrated by Vincent Teoh dynamic tone mapping off HDR optimizer on.
I would trust Vincent's settings. I'm sure you could shoot him an email and ask him. He's very knowledgeable on both the player and the TV and when you get an answer back would you please post it back here. I'm sure many here would be interested in the response.

·
Registered
42 Posts
820 update

Hi guys:

Got my 820 today. found several issues:
1. It often lost audio after fast forward. Sometimes it come back after few seconds, mostly never come back. I have to restart the movies to get audio back. The disks I played are 4K 1917 and 4K joker, etc. It seems this happens less often when playing older 4K disk?

2. Noise level is significantly higher than my older Samsung. But the image is also brighter so I guess I can deal with this.

Any insight about lost audio problem?

Thanks.
This is an update about my new 820 player.
I found several more problems of this 820 player: it had difficulty to read several 4K disks correctly: the colors of planet earth II (4K), Mad Max fury road 4K, etc. were so washed out that they were almost look like shot in sepia tone, along with that lost of sound issue previously described.
Of course it went back to vendor and they replaced it with another player. The second 820 player performance much better than the first one:
1. Lost of audio problem almost entirely goes away, so far it only happened once and I was able to get the audio back by simply fast backward once.
2. This new player can read most 4K disk correctly. Planet earth II (4K), Mad Max fury road 4K all show fantastic vivid and rich colors and I was very happy with this second 820 I have. The only problem I have with this new one is it still have problem to read one specific 4K disk (Arrival, Army Adams). The color of this disk still very much washed out.

Overall, I like 820 a lot, especially for any standard blu ray disks and 4K disks with DV. Its performance on regular HDR 10 disks is OK but not great. Panasonic seems have a quality control issue with this model and get a good copy is quite important. I think I will keep this replacement player.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Hi, I have the Sonos Beam and the DP-UB820. Does this player convert DTS to Dolby Digital so I can receive 5.1 audio through my beam and rears? Is there a way around this or not?
Sorry, I don't have a full answer for your question...someone else might be able to ring in. I don't know about it converting DTS to Dolby Digital, but it might down-mix that audio to two channels, then (possibly) through a Dolby Surround Decoder, a receiver might be able to convert the audio signal to mimic closely (in Dolby Surround) what the DTS signal originally has.

Another thing, many Blu-ray discs (and Ultra HD Blu-ray) already have optional audio tracks to choose from. Just pick the one that's listed as Dolby Digital (unless of course it's in a different language.)

Also, I just thought of this. In checking, the player does have an optical out. Usually (I think) multichannel audio is automatically outputted as a Dolby Digital signal. If your setup has a optical input that might be all you will need if this is the case.

In all these cases, check the player's Audio choices in the menu settings to see what the options are.

·
Registered
219 Posts
This is an update about my new 820 player.
I found several more problems of this 820 player: it had difficulty to read several 4K disks correctly: the colors of planet earth II (4K), Mad Max fury road 4K, etc. were so washed out that they were almost look like shot in sepia tone, along with that lost of sound issue previously described.
Of course it went back to vendor and they replaced it with another player. The second 820 player performance much better than the first one:
1. Lost of audio problem almost entirely goes away, so far it only happened once and I was able to get the audio back by simply fast backward once.
2. This new player can read most 4K disk correctly. Planet earth II (4K), Mad Max fury road 4K all show fantastic vivid and rich colors and I was very happy with this second 820 I have. The only problem I have with this new one is it still have problem to read one specific 4K disk (Arrival, Army Adams). The color of this disk still very much washed out.

Overall, I like 820 a lot, especially for any standard blu ray disks and 4K disks with DV. Its performance on regular HDR 10 disks is OK but not great. Panasonic seems have a quality control issue with this model and get a good copy is quite important. I think I will keep this replacement player.
Sounds to me like you have a problem with your some other component or compatibility, I cannot account for why they didn't perform identical but there must be an explanation. Planet Earth seems to be a huge problem with these units, I do not own the movie but I'm thinking F/W may help it. To have problems with sound on 2 units in a row when not many people comment on it does not sound much like the player. To add, although I have lost a lot of faith in Panasonic these days I believe their issues are more of requiring firmware than hardware. Having said this, a vendor told me they stopped pushing Panasonic because of reliability/playibility issues and prefer Sony now. I agree that there seems to be a lot of noise, I too have noticed this. I had the mad max fury HD bluray and felt the color was dead also. I traded in the movie though because I thought it was dumb compared to the original so that cured that issue.

Reactions: musicalfox

·
Registered
2,702 Posts
The first thing I did when I set up these units was updating firmware.
I don't know if HDMI cable can make a difference but I will give a more expensive brand cable a shot.
Cost doesn't automatically equal ability to transmit the full 18gbps of data. You don't have to spend a lot to get cables that do the job.

You don't indicate what length you need, but Monoprice "Premium Certified" Cables are guaranteed to, and are very cost effective, in lengths up to 25' or so as I recall. If you need longer than that, it's best to go with Fiberoptic Cable (Ruipro is a popular brand). A bit more pricey, but necessary for lengths like that.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
219 Posts
I don't know if HDMI cable can make a difference but I will give a more expensive brand cable a shot.
There apparently is an upcoming F/W, don't know when it will be released, this may or may not address a lot of issues - time will tell. As far as cables, I don't think price is everything. Perhaps you have a dud or simply a brand that doesn't work well by chance. I have princess auto no-names (a 6' between the bluray and AVR and a 35' between the AVR and projector) and I have no issues, at least with the limited band-width of my projector. Ratings are vaugue at best, but mine were rated on the package only as 4K/3D compatible and no further details. A lot of people argue certified cables are best, but I think it's really sort of a crap shoot.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I don't know if the cable is your problem, but expensive isn't necessarily better.
You will want to find one that is labeled 'premium certified'. Link is for a certified cable from Monoprice- I use these cables and have never had a problem. Notice the 'premium certified' symbol. That should be on any cable you buy.
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15427

7401 - 7420 of 8090 Posts