AVS Forum banner

7541 - 7560 of 8059 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hi, I am looking into buying this blu ray player and am wondering if I would still need to invest in a streaming device. Does anyone use the UB820 as their sole streaming platform?

I'm particularly wondering if I am able to take advantage of 4k, HDR, and ATMOS from all major streaming apps. Or if I should just invest in Apple TV 4K or NVIDIA Shield as well.

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Hi, I am looking into buying this blu ray player and am wondering if I would still need to invest in a streaming device. Does anyone use the UB820 as their sole streaming platform?

I'm particularly wondering if I am able to take advantage of 4k, HDR, and ATMOS from all major streaming apps. Or if I should just invest in Apple TV 4K or NVIDIA Shield as well.

Thanks.
Get another device.

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
Thanks. So I could just point the Ub900 remote at the UB820 and it will turn on?
All Panasonic blu-ray remotes will work with the UB820- minus the HDR button. In fact, even some Panny DVD player remotes will work.
One of the good things about having a Panny. :)

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts

Thanks.
Streaming from Panny 820 is limited to Amazon Prime, Netflix, and YouTube.

I just pulled the trigger on the 2019 Nvidia Shield TV...

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Reactions: Greg McNichol

·
Premium Member
2,592 Posts

Thanks.
Greg,

You might want to think about acquiring the ROKU ULTRA for All-Streaming mine works great and this is the 2nd one I have had.

Terry

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation guys! I will definitely be grabbing a dedicating streaming device.

Still debating whether or not I should invest in the UB820. Just how good is it vs. ripping your discs to a local network and playing through Plex?

I'm particularly curious about the HDR optimizer and the upscaling of regular blu rays. I'm assuming these features are limited to a dedicated disc player. But just wondering if they're worth having a blu ray player vs. only using Plex.

Appreciate any input.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Greg,

You might want to think about acquiring the ROKU ULTRA for All-Streaming mine works great and this is the 2nd one I have had.

Terry
You might want to remove that sale ad with price before you get a warning from an administrator.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hello, I have a question about an issue I have been having with my Panasonic DP-UB820 that I was hoping some of you may have had and may know what the problem is and how to fix it.

I recently purchased a Blu-ray miniseries of Les Miserables for my wife as a birthday gift from Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N3XBQKP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

For some reason when I go to play the first disc and click chapter one, it plays chapter two instead. It also plays chapter 2 when I click play for chapter two as would be expected, but it again plays chapter two when i select chapter three.

I have noticed this strangely only happens on the first disc and not with the last three episodes of the series on the second disc. At first I thought it was a defective disc and so I had the bluray replaced, but when I got the new copy it did exactly the same thing.

It was then that I thought I needed to check the disc on another bluray player. When I go to play the first disc in my PS4, it works perfectly, playing the first episode when I go to play chapter one as you would expect.

Is there a setting that needs adjusted on my Panasonic? It seems odd that my PS4 would play this bluray better than a far superior bluray player like the Panasonic. The disc is the correct U.S. format for my player too, so that is not an issue.

Also as a side note I do have the very latest firmware installed.

I have never had any other issues like this on my Panasonic, so why would it be doing this?

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Does anyone have a preference with using a cable box Comcast etc, connecting it into tv/tvarc/ into soundbar, or reverse box into soundbar and through arc into tv. Especially with consistancy and quality of audio.

·
Premium Member
3,782 Posts
Does anyone have a preference with using a cable box Comcast etc, connecting it into tv/tvarc/ into soundbar, or reverse box into soundbar and through arc into tv. Especially with consistancy and quality of audio.
Did you post in the wrong thread by accident? That's a question that could completely derail this thread off topic.

Reactions: mrtickleuk

·
Premium Member
3,358 Posts
Did you post in the wrong thread by accident? That's a question that could completely derail this thread off topic.
Whops sorry I did

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hello, I have a question about an issue I have been having with my Panasonic DP-UB820 that I was hoping some of you may have had and may know what the problem is and how to fix it.

I recently purchased a Blu-ray miniseries of Les Miserables for my wife as a birthday gift from Amazon (https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07N3XBQKP/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

For some reason when I go to play the first disc and click chapter one, it plays chapter two instead. It also plays chapter 2 when I click play for chapter two as would be expected, but it again plays chapter two when i select chapter three.

I have noticed this strangely only happens on the first disc and not with the last three episodes of the series on the second disc. At first I thought it was a defective disc and so I had the bluray replaced, but when I got the new copy it did exactly the same thing.

It was then that I thought I needed to check the disc on another bluray player. When I go to play the first disc in my PS4, it works perfectly, playing the first episode when I go to play chapter one as you would expect.

Is there a setting that needs adjusted on my Panasonic? It seems odd that my PS4 would play this bluray better than a far superior bluray player like the Panasonic. The disc is the correct U.S. format for my player too, so that is not an issue.

Also as a side note I do have the very latest firmware installed.

I have never had any other issues like this on my Panasonic, so why would it be doing this?
Have the same problem with Les Mis. Obviously there is some incompatibility between the player and the media since I don't often have problems otherwise. Panasonic is pretty bad these days at customer service - and like LG seem to have no interest in pumping out F/W updates. I figure it may take a long time (if ever) for Panasonic to do anything about these glitches - and there is a bunch of them.

Reactions: tngiloy

·
Registered
637 Posts
I hope someone can help me on an issue I'm currently having.

After a couple of hours of watching movies, some crackling sound suddenly can be heard and it eventually becomes a garbled mess. Unplugging the player for a few seconds seems resolves the issue.

This occured on Blade Runner, Mad Max and Star Wars a New Hope so far although I doubt it's related to a particular disk/scene and is most likely random. Mad Max also had crazy pixelisations on screen before this occured. But then again, I tried mad max today and it didn't happen again.

My setup is the following:

UB820-->x950G (3rd HDMI input. It's the ARC one, but I'm NOT using ARC).
x950G-->Harman Kardon Receiver (via optical out)

THe Harman Kardon is a pretty old machine that has no Atmos support (just 5.1)

The UB820 is set as bitstream.

I'm on the last firmware update.

I tried disabling that 7.1 Conversion setting thing and the Secondary Audio is also disabled.

I never had any problems with the exact same setup on my sony x800.

Next time it occurs I will use the TV Speaker to see if the issue is from the player or the receiver.

Any ideas?

I have a similar issue. my ub820, it will not play the new 4K UHD disc of Force Awakens, i tried and returned 4 different copies; the movie would freeze, garbled glitchy video, audio/in/out/ audio dead, etc.

I put the same disc in my xbox one x, played just fine. Normally it is a bad disc from the factory; but this looks like an issue with certain movies on the ub820.

If you can get another 4k movie player, try the disc and see if it works for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have a similar issue. my ub820, it will not play the new 4K UHD disc of Force Awakens, i tried and returned 4 different copies; the movie would freeze, garbled glitchy video, audio/in/out/ audio dead, etc.

I put the same disc in my xbox one x, played just fine. Normally it is a bad disc from the factory; but this looks like an issue with certain movies on the ub820.

If you can get another 4k movie player, try the disc and see if it works for you.
I ended up returning my panasonic for another one and the issues have stopped, so I guess I had a bad player. I did have a minor audio drop off during one scene on Joker yesterday, but it was a split second and nowhere as bad as with the other one.

·
Registered
977 Posts

I bought Force Awakens a few weeks ago. I have not officially watched it yet, but I did play the audio commentary and the film played on my 820 without any trouble.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: am2model3

·
Premium Member
3,237 Posts
All Panasonic blu-ray remotes will work with the UB820- minus the HDR button. In fact, even some Panny DVD player remotes will work.
One of the good things about having a Panny. :)
Good to know - what is the consensus on the nicest remote available?

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
Good to know - what is the consensus on the nicest remote available?
I'd say the UB-9000 followed closely by the UB900. Both are larger and better laid out than the UB820 remote. The 900 remote does not have the HDR button where as the 9000 remote does. The button layout on the 820 remote is bad for me. Great if you like to watch Netflix :rolleyes:

·
Registered
637 Posts
that's weird; my ub820 has worked fine like clockwork for almost all my 4K UHD movie discs; it just for some reason does not like SW7 Force Awakens 4KUHD.

so funny; just one movie disc; it says no play. but says yes to play all my other discs. lol

if it gets worse with more movies; then i will look at replacing my player. thanks!

·
Registered
3,280 Posts
I'd say the UB-9000 followed closely by the UB900. Both are larger and better laid out than the UB820 remote. The 900 remote does not have the HDR button where as the 9000 remote does. The button layout on the 820 remote is bad for me. Great if you like to watch Netflix :rolleyes:
I’d like to add this to Clark’s post.

The N2QAYA000130 and 131 are both listed as a UB900 replacements. The 130 has manual skip and rewind buttons that the 131 lacks. On the 131, they are CC and DLNA buttons which are less useful for me, but YMMV.

They are both really cheap, while a real UB9000 remote usually costs a lot more. If you're looking for a UB9000 remote, check the pictures carefully. A real 9000 remote will have a HDR button. It is located in place of the sound effect button on the other remotes.

7541 - 7560 of 8059 Posts