AVS Forum banner

7741 - 7760 of 8090 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ours is running very quiet; as quiet or quieter than our Sony X800.
But we're still on fence as to whether or not to keep and/or if kept, add an extended warranty, which we weren't gonna do.
. . . Wobbling :~\

·
Registered
5,879 Posts
820 arrived yesterday, first player I've had since an old Oppo I bought in 2006 that did HD upsampling lol. In any event, connected everything, made a couple of adjustments, and fired up Bladerunner with no problems. PQ is great on my OLED, but think I'm even more impressed by the audio. Could be the placebo effect, but swear I can hear more detail compared to streaming content. Assuming this is because of compression, or am I a moron?

But glad I now have a dedicated player vs. using XBox, which sounds like a blender when playing discs. The Panny is so much quieter.

Anyway, thanks so much for the help/suggestions! Guess it's time to browse the Blu-Ray reviews sub-forum and decide what title to buy next. 2001: Space Odyssey, maybe? Hmmmm....
Get the UHD BD of Blade Runner 2049 if you'd like to exercise your subwoofer(s). Small subs can't handle it.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have owned a UB820 for well over a year now. I've recently run into a bug that I am wondering if anyone else has experienced. When resuming playback after pausing a disc, I completely lose the sound, and the only way I can get the audio back is by ejecting the disc and reloading it. I tried selecting a different audio track, going back to the menu, etc. It's only happened 2-3 times, most recently when playing the 2012 BD release of To Catch a Thief.

The player is connected to a Denon X3300W receiver using the proper certified Monoprice HDMI cables, and this is the only playback issue I have ever experienced. It has happened now with both a BD and UHD disc. Most of the time when I pause and resume playback, the issue does not occur -- just the 2-3 times I mentioned in the first paragraph. I am running the latest firmware.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have owned a UB820 for well over a year now. I've recently run into a bug that I am wondering if anyone else has experienced. When resuming playback after pausing a disc, I completely lose the sound, and the only way I can get the audio back is by ejecting the disc and reloading it. I tried selecting a different audio track, going back to the menu, etc. It's only happened 2-3 times, most recently when playing the 2012 BD release of To Catch a Thief.

The player is connected to a Denon X3300W receiver using the proper certified Monoprice HDMI cables, and this is the only playback issue I have ever experienced. It has happened now with both a BD and UHD disc. Most of the time when I pause and resume playback, the issue does not occur -- just the 2-3 times I mentioned in the first paragraph. I am running the latest firmware.

I have had an issue with the sound not working but only on a few 4K discs after starting a movie or after a pause. Never anything with a lower resolution (so far). I have restored the sound by using fast forward or fast reverse and then hit play, not by ejecting the disc. Not sure what the problem could be although it is very sporadic and I haven't experienced the issue in about 6 months (I have some posts in this thread on the problem.)

·
Registered
559 Posts
I have had an issue with the sound not working but only on a few 4K discs after starting a movie or after a pause. Never anything with a lower resolution (so far). I have restored the sound by using fast forward or fast reverse and then hit play, not by ejecting the disc. Not sure what the problem could be although it is very sporadic and I haven't experienced the issue in about 6 months (I have some posts in this thread on the problem.)

Thanks for the response. Yes, the issue has been very sporadic for me, as well. I did try both reverse and fast forward, and neither brought the audio back in my case. There may be some other function that will restore the audio without ejecting the disc, but I have not found it yet.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Thanks for the response. Yes, the issue has been very sporadic for me, as well. I did try both reverse and fast forward, and neither brought the audio back in my case. There may be some other function that will restore the audio without ejecting the disc, but I have not found it yet.
Toggle inputs on your AVR to force handshake does it for me. Also toggle soundtrack to another track and back.

It has only ever happened with the Panasonic's though, not Sony, not oppo, etc. So a Panasonic flaw. Happened 2ith the 900 too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
UPS just delivered my UB820 which was not double boxed and was purchased from World Wide Stereo.

Kinda nervous to open it and use it...

·
Registered
62 Posts
UPS just delivered my UB820 which was not double boxed and was purchased from World Wide Stereo.
Kinda nervous to open it and use it...

Good that you took photos. Hope
nothing is damaged.

Ours was also del by UPS without the shipper double-boxing. On top of that the UPS del person just left it on our front porch without even ringing the doorbell.
Our box wasn't smashed all over like your box, but it did show signs of rough handling w/one smashed corner, and one clear-thru puncture the size of a quarter.
Oddest thing of all though, was that our box was taped with [only] a light gray colored 'Security Tape' with no sign or remnant of any typ clear tape on the box-- like from the end of the manuf process.
Inside, ours looked like brand new, except that the baggie the remote was in...was not taped, just folded over; and the foam around the player looked perfectly brand new (not prev un-wrapped) but also wasn't taped.
Nonetheless everything appeared brand new and all works perfectly.

I'd be interested to hear if your remote baggie & foam wrap around the player were taped or not. Were they?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
I'd be interested to hear if your remote baggie & foam wrap around the player were taped or not. Were they?
Delivered by Amazon just like the pictures, except that there was no significant damage to the outside box, that showed some wear and tear from shipping. And there was no baggie for the remote but a clear plastic opened ended envelope that incased the remote.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Delivered by Amazon just like the pictures, except that there was no significant damage to the outside box, that showed some wear and tear from shipping. And there was no baggie for the remote but a clear plastic opened ended envelope that incased the remote.
Thanks for that feedback.
That's what I meant; I shouldn't have said 'baggie, but rather a clear plastic open-ended bag/envelope. Without any tape on the folded-over part. So yours was that way too huh? And our foam around the player looked factory wrapped, and not previously unwrapped, but also wasn't taped. Those two things plus the 'Security Tape' on our box (instead of any typ factory/manuf. clear tape) had me wondering if ours was a return sold as 'new.' As mentioned though, ours looks & operates perfectly.
We have until 6 June to return ours and/or order a replacement, but it'd be just my luck to get a 'new' replacement-- that would be worse or have problems. :(

·
Registered
353 Posts
I'll find out later this evening when I have a chance to remove everything from the box and hookup the UB820. Hopefully it's all good. Still surprised that they didn't double box a $500 blu-ray player...

·
Registered
2,233 Posts

Are you running two HDMI outputs (one for video and one for audio to your AVR)?
That seems to be prone to these quirks but as people has mentioned; switching audio tracks or inputs on your AVR to initiate a new HDMI handshake usually should kick it into action again.
Try a factory reset, it can help sometimes.
If it doesn't work, run one HDMI to the AVR and then one from AVR to display.

·
Registered
559 Posts
Toggle inputs on your AVR to force handshake does it for me. Also toggle soundtrack to another track and back.

It has only ever happened with the Panasonic's though, not Sony, not oppo, etc. So a Panasonic flaw. Happened 2ith the 900 too.

I have tried switching soundtracks without any success. Next time it happens, I will try either powering the AVR off/on, or switching inputs back and forth.

Are you running two HDMI outputs (one for video and one for audio to your AVR)?
That seems to be prone to these quirks but as people has mentioned; switching audio tracks or inputs on your AVR to initiate a new HDMI handshake usually should kick it into action again.
Try a factory reset, it can help sometimes.
If it doesn't work, run one HDMI to the AVR and then one from AVR to display.

As mentioned above, switching audio tracks does not restore the audio. Also, I have just a single HDMI cable from the UB820 to the Denon AVR transmitting both audio and video. I have numerous other playback devices attached to the AVR in the same manner without any issues -- Sony X800 UHD disc player, Oppo 980H DVD player, Apple TV 4K, Roku Ultra and Xfinity X1 cable convertor.

As I mentioned, the issue is very sporadic. Last night I watched a movie on BD, pausing 2-3 times for various reasons, and did not encounter the issue at all.

·
Registered
172 Posts

It might be a CEC issue. Try this. Go into your Denon's Set-Up menu and find the HDMI control and turn off the ARC. Also turn off HDMI Control, too. Check your 820 menu and turn off Viera link if it's on. Maybe that'll help. My handshake issues seemed to have resolved by doing so. Good luck.

·
Registered
559 Posts
It might be a CEC issue. Try this. Go into your Denon's Set-Up menu and find the HDMI control and turn off the ARC. Also turn off HDMI Control, too. Check your 820 menu and turn off Viera link if it's on. Maybe that'll help. My handshake issues seemed to have resolved by doing so. Good luck.

Both HDMI control and ARC are turned off with all my equipment -- CEC plays havoc with Harmony universal remote controls, which I use.

7741 - 7760 of 8090 Posts