AVS Forum banner

7841 - 7860 of 8067 Posts

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I have a strange scenario - or maybe not that strange. I have an Atmos AVR connected. When I play an Atmos disk, the disk player defaults to 5.1 sound. I always have to go into the disk menu to switch to Atmos. Any idea why this would be? Should there not be some communication with the AVR to tell the player to output best possible format?

Model of AVR? Name of title (or titles). What you are thinking about applies to video resolution and HDMI handshakes.

Generally speaking, things like languages/subtitles are typically driven by player/disc defaults. The only time I have seen similar situations is when a disc is authored to default to a certain soundtrack/config.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Model of AVR? Name of title (or titles). What you are thinking about applies to video resolution and HDMI handshakes.

Generally speaking, things like languages/subtitles are typically driven by player/disc defaults. The only time I have seen similar situations is when a disc is authored to default to a certain soundtrack/config.

Sorry, Yamaha RX-A2070. Titles mostly newer like "A star is born 4K Ultra" for example. I even have some Bond films (Craig) that are regular HD but come with Atmos tracks - always the same end result. Have to go into disk options, languages, and change from 5.1 to best sound. I would expect this with PCM uncompressed, but not with DD/DTS.

·
Registered
815 Posts
I choose Standard. Although Cinema and Fine Cinema show more detail in darker areas with not as high of apparent contrast, I don’t care for what it does to the color toning of the picture.. it seems to dull it. Also, with my OLED I like having that deeper contrast as well as inky black that only standard seems to represent. I never found a direct answer to which is closest to reference. However, I believe Cinema is most likely closest to reference... then again, the way it throws of the color and contrast has me wondering if standard actually is closest to reference.
My calibrator always leaves my player in Standard mode. To put it in any other mode, it would be altering the picture sent to the calibrated tv. This would mean if the player is in any other mode other than standard, you’re throwing off the calibrated image. This is ok though, if your happy with what you’re seeing.

·
Premium Member
3,786 Posts
Sorry, Yamaha RX-A2070. Titles mostly newer like "A star is born 4K Ultra" for example. I even have some Bond films (Craig) that are regular HD but come with Atmos tracks - always the same end result. Have to go into disk options, languages, and change from 5.1 to best sound. I would expect this with PCM uncompressed, but not with DD/DTS.
If you set the audio output to 5.1 that is all you will get. Never Atmos.

If you set the audio to best available, 5.1 will be output as multi-channel PCM. If you have Atmos enabled you will get Atmos as Dolby MAT 2.0 via the multi-channel PCM output.

I can't understand the reasoning to prefer to see the DD 5.1 label light up on the AVR when you can get just as good or better audio with multi-channel PCM instead. The only reason might be that the AVR model does not allow up-mixing PCM while it does for 5.1. I would invest in a new AVR in that case.

·
Registered
219 Posts
If you set the audio output to 5.1 that is all you will get. Never Atmos.

If you set the audio to best available, 5.1 will be output as multi-channel PCM. If you have Atmos enabled you will get Atmos as Dolby MAT 2.0 via the multi-channel PCM output.

I can't understand the reasoning to prefer to see the DD 5.1 label light up on the AVR when you can get just as good or better audio with multi-channel PCM instead. The only reason might be that the AVR model does not allow up-mixing PCM while it does for 5.1. I would invest in a new AVR in that case.
Appreciate your answer, but the real problem is not one of PCM vs 5.1 - it is that the disk always defaults to 5.1 rather than Atmos/DTSx. I always have to go into the menu and change it from 5.1 to Atmos/DTSx.

Reactions: Bruce Watson

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
Appreciate your answer, but the real problem is not one of PCM vs 5.1 - it is that the disk always defaults to 5.1 rather than Atmos/DTSx. I always have to go into the menu and change it from 5.1 to Atmos/DTSx.
The author of the disc gets to decide the default soundtrack, not the player manufacturer or the customer, unfortunately.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I have a strange scenario - or maybe not that strange. I have an Atmos AVR connected. When I play an Atmos disk, the disk player defaults to 5.1 sound. I always have to go into the disk menu to switch to Atmos. Any idea why this would be? Should there not be some communication with the AVR to tell the player to output best possible format?
Might be the title. Warner for example often defaults the audio track to lossy? Even as recently as the Matrix UHD releases.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
How can I get the UB820 to Playback Home Network/Network Media Playback 4K Dolby Atmos Backup Files from my NAS with Dolby Atmos Sound through my Denon AVR?

It will play the files, but only in Dolby Surround.

Also, it Fails to Play DTS files at all - no sound.

Further on some NAS located Backup Files, I get no sound whatsoever, and the OSD reads Soundtrack = 1 and Audio Channel = -, with no drop down choices.

Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
How can I get the UB820 to Playback Home Network/Network Media Playback 4K Dolby Atmos Backup Files from my NAS with Dolby Atmos Sound through my Denon AVR?

It will play the files, but only in Dolby Surround.

Also, it Fails to Play DTS files at all - no sound.

Further on some NAS located Backup Files, I get no sound whatsoever, and the OSD reads Soundtrack = 1 and Audio Channel = -, with no drop down choices.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Check the manual. It lists what audio and video codecs it supports

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Check the manual. It lists what audio and video codecs it supports
The UB820 supports ALL Dolby and DTS Codecs (except DTS-HD:pro) and they all work on the Bluray side of the player.

However, when using the UB820 as a Home Media Network Player, which is a Function integrated into the UB820 by design, it fails to operate either correcly, or at all.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
The UB820 supports ALL Dolby and DTS Codecs (except DTS-HD:pro) and they all work on the Bluray side of the player.

However, when using the UB820 as a Home Media Network Player, which is a Function integrated into the UB820 by design, it fails to operate either correcly, or at all.
Hmm, it seems to say in my manual for external files and network contents it only supports audio AAC Dolby Digital, PCM, Vorbis, FLAC. You won't get Atmos

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Hmm, it seems to say in my manual for external files and network contents it only supports audio AAC Dolby Digital, PCM, Vorbis, FLAC. You won't get Atmos
Thanks for the lookup.

If it only supports audio AAC Dolby Digital, PCM, Vorbis, FLAC, those are Audio/Music Codecs, which makes no sense because External Video files are fully supported for Hi-Res Video Codecs.

Dumb, crippled.

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
Thanks for the lookup.

If it only supports audio AAC Dolby Digital, PCM, Vorbis, FLAC, those are Audio/Music Codecs, which makes no sense because External Video files are fully supported for Hi-Res Video Codecs.

Dumb, crippled.
Definitely crippled. Honestly disc players are best for playing discs. You really need to use other specialized devices that do other things better, streaming, digital media. I'm not sure what the best option is for network files and USB files.I know you can with an oppo, but there are limitations. Maybe a nvidia Shield or Zidoo? Sometimes it depends what media - so if you are wanting proper frame packed 3D you have even less options. I only revert to digital media for stuff I remux or add subtitles to.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Definitely crippled. Honestly disc players are best for playing discs. You really need to use other specialized devices that do other things better, streaming, digital media. I'm not sure what the best option is for network files and USB files.I know you can with an oppo, but there are limitations. Maybe a nvidia Shield or Zidoo? Sometimes it depends what media - so if you are wanting proper frame packed 3D you have even less options. I only revert to digital media for stuff I remux or add subtitles to.
Yep, a Nvidia Shield Pro can handle all of this.

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
3D too? Hmm I might need look into one. Especially if it can do Youtube / Google Play Movies with 4k HDR (I don't have anything that can do decent Google at the moment).
The Nvidia Shield Pro is basically a Premier Android TV Box with a few propietary chips and tricks.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I choose Standard. Although Cinema and Fine Cinema show more detail in darker areas with not as high of apparent contrast, I don’️t care for what it does to the color toning of the picture.. it seems to dull it. Also, with my OLED I like having that deeper contrast as well as inky black that only standard seems to represent. I never found a direct answer to which is closest to reference. However, I believe Cinema is most likely closest to reference... then again, the way it throws of the color and contrast has me wondering if standard actually is closest to reference.
My calibrator always leaves my player in Standard mode. To put it in any other mode, it would be altering the picture sent to the calibrated tv. This would mean if the player is in any other mode other than standard, you’️re throwing off the calibrated image. This is ok though, if your happy with what you’️re seeing.
Yep, this sounds exactly right to me. Thanks so much for chiming in with your official calibrator experience on this. 🙂

·
Registered
219 Posts
The author of the disc gets to decide the default soundtrack, not the player manufacturer or the customer, unfortunately.
MMnn, those darn authors. Can't imagine why they would do this, perhaps not everybody has Atmos compatible equipment so they dumb it down a little to make sure it plays on everything?

Might be the title. Warner for example often defaults the audio track to lossy? Even as recently as the Matrix UHD releases.
I've noticed this on several titles also, which is strange because I think all AVRs have to be able to output lossless PCM but those disks still default to DD. Maybe DD has paid-off studios? LOL.

·
Registered
9,148 Posts
MMnn, those darn authors. Can't imagine why they would do this, perhaps not everybody has Atmos compatible equipment so they dumb it down a little to make sure it plays on everything?
Not at all. If you can't play Atmos, the Atmos track can't be selected anyway.

I was only posting to help anyone who thought they had done something wrong, if the Atmos track is not the default. You've done nothing wrong if the Atmos track isn't the default. That default is not under your control.

This is why, sadly, each and every time you play a disc, you must go into the soundtracks menu and select the best available soundtrack. Do not rely on defaults.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Wait the bluray Daniel Craig bond movies come with an atmos track? I've seen that a few times with some of my 3d movies (tmnt, for example)... That's really strange because the 4k bond set that was recently released (Craig) didn't include an atmos track... I have them in bluray and will have to check that out!

7841 - 7860 of 8067 Posts