AVS Forum banner

1781 - 1800 of 8090 Posts

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Running into an issue and wanted to see if anyone else is experiencing the same. I have this player hooked up to a Denon 7200WA and then to a Sony 75XBR940E. I am getting a flashing screen with either the home menu and also Netflix. It was dropping out the entire time I was entering my user name and password. I bought another "certified" 6' HDMI cable and tried that without success. If I pop in a 4K movie like the Avengers, it plays fine. I am going to try hooking directly to the Sony and eliminating the Denon. I was pleased to see the DV came up on the series Quantico from Netflix. I don't get that using the 4K Firestick. That appears to be a plus.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Here are some eye candies for you guys, this is a Epson LS10500 (i love this PJ) with Panny ub820 experimenting HDR/SDR comparison

These samples i put not exactly the same frames but you got the idea

Another

This one is easy! Leave it at HDR BT2020. Even when looked at on a PC display you can see the difference on pictures 1 and 2.
Check the waves on the lower portion of the pics (towards the beach). On pic #1 (HDR) it looks like water, there's transparency, on pic #2
it's just a soft wavy thing.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Here are some eye candies for you guys, this is a Epson LS10500 (i love this PJ) with Panny ub820 experimenting HDR/SDR comparison

These samples i put not exactly the same frames but you got the idea

Call me crazy but in all but the first set, I prefer the SDR picture. Even on the first set, the sky looks purple on the HDR version but that could just be the camera not properly reproducing the color.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Call me crazy but in all but the first set, I prefer the SDR picture. Even on the first set, the sky looks purple on the HDR version but that could just be the camera not properly reproducing the color.
You are not crazy. SDR 2020 even with these pics looks miles better and I can confrim the same w/ my pj using this players SDR 2020 conversions.

·
Registered
80 Posts
You are not crazy. SDR 2020 even with these pics looks miles better and I can confrim the same w/ my pj using this players SDR 2020 conversions.
You have a projector which might need the SDR conversion, and I have to admit the sky is kind of purplish on the first pic BUT which one has water that looks like water? Check the waves on the HDR pic (close to the 3 little "islands" at the bottom) and the ones on the SDR. The ones on the HDR pic look like they are water, you can see the shiny parts where light reflects on the surface. The SDR looks soft, no depth to the water. Also, on the SDR, the hightlights on the vegetation are kind of oversaturated, don't know if it is the corect term, but they look "blown out".
Regarding those 2 pics, they are not the same. the SDR is missing the little "islands" at the bottom of the frame which are shown on the HDR pic.

·
Registered
637 Posts
You have a projector which might need the SDR conversion, and I have to admit the sky is kind of purplish on the first pic BUT which one has water that looks like water? Check the waves on the HDR pic (close to the 3 little "islands" at the bottom) and the ones on the SDR. The ones on the HDR pic look like they are water, you can see the shiny parts where light reflects on the surface. The SDR looks soft, no depth to the water. Also, on the SDR, the hightlights on the vegetation are kind of oversaturated, don't know if it is the corect term, but they look "blown out".
Regarding those 2 pics, they are not the same. the SDR is missing the little "islands" at the bottom of the frame which are shown on the HDR pic.
Yes I have the JVC RS4500 which is a 3000 lumen laser projector and all I can tell you is having used a Pannasonic UB900 for almost a year watching HDR w/out the SDR conversion and tone mapping that the UB820 offers that overall, there is no comparison. The image thrown w/ the SDR 2020 conversion and tone mapping is markedly better.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Yes I have the JVC RS4500 which is a 3000 lumen laser projector and all I can tell you is having used a Pannasonic UB900 for almost a year watching HDR w/out the SDR conversion and tone mapping that the UB820 offers that overall, there is no comparison. The image thrown w/ the SDR 2020 conversion and tone mapping is markedly better.

I just think it all depends how good your projector is tone mapped for HDR. The 709 conversion is way easier for sure but I still prefer my custom calibrated tone map any day on my 5040. But since everyone keeps telling me I’m wrong I will do a digital cinema calibration to SDR BT2020 2.4 gamma one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
489 Posts
Yes I have the JVC RS4500 which is a 3000 lumen laser projector and all I can tell you is having used a Panasonic UB900 for almost a year watching HDR w/out the SDR conversion and tone mapping that the UB820 offers that overall, there is no comparison. The image thrown w/ the SDR 2020 conversion and tone mapping is markedly better.

I just got the 820 and am still playing with the settings. I've never been a fan of the HDR images I have seen but am really looking forward to the HDR to SDR conversion of the 820 using BT2020 color mapping. My Projector doesn't have HDR capability and also doesn't fully support the BT2020 standard but it does have DCI/P3 which, as I understand it, supports a subset of BT2020. I have the HDFury Integral 2 device on order and I should be able to use that to "trick" the 820 into thinking that I have full BT2020 capability.

All the above is to say that I'm hoping the 820 will give me better than "standard" SDR color reproduction when I use the DCI/P3 capabilities of my non-HDR projector... I think I have stated that correctly... This all makes my head hurt :eek:

·
Registered
1,851 Posts
I just got the 820 and am still playing with the settings. I've never been a fan of the HDR images I have seen but am really looking forward to the SDR 2020 tone mapping. My Projector doesn't have HDR capability and also doesn't have BT2020 capability but it does have DCI/P3 which, as I understand, is "almost" 2020. I have the HDFury Integral 2 device on order and I should be able to use that into "fooling" the 820 into thinking that I have full BT2020 capability.

All the above is to say that I'm hoping the 820 will give me better than "standard" SDR color reproduction when I use the DCI/P3 capabilities of my non-HDR projector.
Please keep us posted of your results.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Yes SDR 2020 looks much better to my eyes too but i think because Chad calibrated the unit last year with UB900 i have and that is why we can see on HDR picture colors are little off kind of look.
I wonder if Chad calibrates this again with UB820 anything would change on HDR playing.
Either way we have a option now with UB820 tone mapping and things looks great so far.
One other thing is on HDR display i set Epson to High on laser but SDR 2020 i set as i watch Directv on medium and nothing else i have to change on Epson between switching 4K HDR or watching regular channels.

Also these pictures i'm taking with my iphone without paying much attention and like i stated HDR to SDR comparisons not exactly the same frame, just for you guys to have an idea.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I just think it all depends how good your projector is tone mapped for HDR. The 709 conversion is way easier for sure but I still prefer my custom calibrated tone map any day on my 5040. But since everyone keeps telling me I’m wrong I will do a digital cinema calibration to SDR BT2020 2.4 gamma one of these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I wouldn't say you are wrong about curves being better. In fact I still give my custom curves a very slight edge but it requires running my projector in high lamp whereas that's not the case with the 820. Probably the setup will have a lot to do with it also. I will say though that the 820 seems to be more consistent across titles, I guess because it is more dynamic.

·
Registered
538 Posts
This one is easy! Leave it at HDR BT2020. Even when looked at on a PC display you can see the difference on pictures 1 and 2.
Check the waves on the lower portion of the pics (towards the beach). On pic #1 (HDR) it looks like water, there's transparency, on pic #2
it's just a soft wavy thing.
I also agree with you SDR to HDR differences but because Chad calibrated the Epson especially for HDR probably that is causing some color differences.
I still have to play around more to see.
Either way we have great options now. :)

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
This maybe a stupid question ... up to now, I can't figure out how to turn OFF the 4K upscaling function of this player, since I prefer to let my Epson 5040 projector do it, while playing some 2K files. My old Oppo 203 has a 'Source direct' selection that let me do that. Can some users here show me how. Many thanks in advance.

Why would you want your Epson to do the 4K up-scaling instead of the new Panasonic... :confused:

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
I, for one, want 1080p to flow through the signal chain to the projector so I can run it through my (non 4k) Lumagen LUT box and (non 4k) Darbee. Yes, I still love my Darbee.

Right, but he wants to let his Epson do the 4K up-scaling instead of the Panasonic...

·
Premium Member
4,319 Posts
No. I opened an issue on the Panasonic support site but got a reply... We don't understand.

Unbelievable!

Maybe Robert Zohn at Blu-Ray.com can help? He has some contacts at Panasonic.

Or keeping within the confines of AVS Forum, maybe @Kris Deering has some insight?

Mark

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
6,711 Posts
Right, but he wants to let his Epson do the 4K up-scaling instead of the Panasonic...
Exactly. If the player (Panasonic) does the upscaling, then it is emitting a 4k signal. And most Lumagens and no Darbee processors can take a 4k signal. (Only very expensive Lumagens can do 4k.) So it has to stay 1080p through those devices. Which means the Panasonic can't do the upscaling.

·
Registered
3,315 Posts
Exactly. If the player (Panasonic) does the upscaling, then it is emitting a 4k signal. And most Lumagens and no Darbee processors can take a 4k signal. (Only very expensive Lumagens can do 4k.) So it has to stay 1080p through those devices. Which means the Panasonic can't do the upscaling.

Right, lol.

But his post says nothing about a Lumagen or a Darbe, etc. :confused:

His post says he wants to have his Epson do the 4K up-scaling instead of the Panasonic.

Or are you saying that he wants to keep the Panasonic at 2K, then send it through the Lumagen; then through the Darbe; then to the Epson to upscale it to 4K...?

Because wouldn't that just be a big mess...?

Reactions: seanbryan
1781 - 1800 of 8090 Posts