AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 416 Posts

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
 http://panasonic.net/avc/lumix/syste...gh2/index.html

I was going to post this elsewhere but I figured it's best I post it in a thread just for the GH2.

Besides having twice as fact auto focusing especially in the photo mode, improving the banding issues of the GH1 and giving it a higher bit rate and native 24p mode with B frames, there's one thing that makes this camera not only unique against the GH1 but also DSLR's is the HD crop mode that a lot of people are raving about.

It essentially reads off a smaller portion of the chip for video which can give you a 3.9x extension in 720p and a 2.6x extension in 1080 24p and 60i. This should in theory fix the moire problems that these cameras typically have. Not only that but a lot of people was already trying to use C-Mount lenses but if you don't research a lot, you may end up wasting money on a lens that vignettes. This opens up the door to a whole lot more lenses you can put on it. Another benefit is that it significantly increases the zoom range so a lens that can go to 300mm such as the new optically stabilized 100-300 lens, will give you enormous range.

Here are examples of the clarity:

The native file will convert to the streaming version very soon so it's best to download the file before it's too late.

This guy has a pro account so the file will continue to stay native so you don't have to download right away.

Here's an example of the extended range you'll get if you were using 1080 24p or 60i.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXrH2LkzS0E

Unfortunately the file got converted to 720p and you cannot download it.

It's too bad I don't have the camera yet since Panasonic is taking their time releasing it to the US since I would have been posting some of my own examples. The expected date for the US is in the middle of December although in Canada some people have already gotten theirs early, lucky bastards! Still it's been out previously in places like Japan but in order to prevent units from leaving the country Panasonic decided to do the exact same thing they did last year with the GH1, and that's to only provide a Japanese menu.

It's not easy to keep the excitement all to myself.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's a low light video shot with the Nokton lens.

You really have to download it to see the quality.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That's actually the same lens Philip Bloom is raving about. I would really love to own that lens because it's really remarkable but at the same time, I'd be paying a little more than a TM700! It's bad enough that I'm trying to upgrade my GH1 to the GH2 and get the TM700 at the same time.

Maybe in the future I'll be able to buy it but definitely not now.

·
Registered
11,880 Posts
I hear ya. It looks amazing. I have the Lumix pancake one which for me now is great + the big kit lens. I also got 3 extra canon lenses the seller on Ebay through in with the adaptors. I think I will sell my hacked gh1 as well. I love it but even unhacked the gh2 looks better to me.

Good Luck, man!

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the 20mm as well that I bought over a year ago when it was still hard to find. At least when comparing the 24p, it'll be easier with the GH2 because to get fully reliable results with a hacked GH1 you have to still shoot in 24p with pull down and if you were to choose native 24p, people are saying it's a bit defective. There's also B frames in the 24p codec of the GH2 so it's not just a case of the bit rate being higher. The 60p on the other hand, I'd say the GH1 wins hand down when there's a lot of lighting but that wont matter to me at all once I get the TM700.

On the topic of buying more stuff, all I can say is sometimes luck comes.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Here's a comparison between a hacked GH1 and GH2.
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread...13-perspective )

It seamed like Panasonic had to make the camera not only compete with smiler Canon offerings but their own GH1 since they are fully, fully aware of the hack.

On top of all that, you have a third party lens that seamed to have filled the void for people who want's an ultra fast lens but without the vignetting that you'd get on a C-Mount lens(If their not using the crop mode) and without the telephoto that you get out of a 50mm lens. It's $900.

Here's a review of that lens:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...3_nocton.shtml

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
I wonder if there will be a GH2 hack or firmware upgrade for it to output in 1080p60 mode since it records in that mode already. I ordered the GH2 body from Panasonic Direct on Dec 1st and I should get it next week along with a Pentax K mount adapter. The 25mm F0.95 is on my wish list for sure.

·
Registered
33,772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/19552384

It's too bad I don't have the camera yet since Panasonic is taking their time releasing it to the US since I would have been posting some of my own examples. The expected date for the US is in the middle of December although in Canada some people have already gotten theirs early, lucky bastards! Still it's been out previously in places like Japan but in order to prevent units from leaving the country Panasonic decided to do the exact same thing they did last year with the GH1, and that's to only provide a Japanese menu.

It's not easy to keep the excitement all to myself.

Paulo, I'm planning on selling my GH1 and getting the GH2 when it's released. I was concerned about a couple of the low light videos that were posted and what I thought was mud. But then I saw those were not encoded in HD and merely embedded SD.

On further inspection of some of the videos, I do see some mud in the 1080p mode, but I'm assuming it's the compression on Vimeo...at least I hope it is.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's what I mentioned long ago because it does look like the advanced conponents of the GH2 might be easily able to handle 1080 60p but it always seam like companies don't want their products to be that good so they can keep on selling the new version. For sure, Panasonic would be extremely stupid if the GH3 doesn't get it with the way technology is heading at the moment.

I actually hope I'm getting the camera before you. I've been wanting it for a while and you just recently went on board. I pre-ordered mine last month since I kept thinking about rather or not I want to upgrade but the twice as fast auto focusing, allegedly better low light capabilities and the crop mode that I was praying the GH1 get ended up tempting me too much for my health. Still, getting the GH2 and possibly the TM700 will definitely help me out with some of the shooting I do. Panasonic better not release the TM750 to the US for $1,000 before Christmas while the TM700 gets priced to $700.

For sure if I did have the spare cash that would also allow me to purchase the Nokton lens, I think I'd rather spend that cash on the new optically stabilized 100-300mm zoom lens and then if I had money left over, I'd get the Nokton. I really do need to win the lottery at the moment. If my collage loans were to disappear, I'd also get the AF100 without thinking about it. College loans can definitely be a huge burden for a lot of people.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts

Quote:
I've been wanting it for a while and you just recently went on board.

And I was so sure I was going to get the Canon 60D I even purchased a Canon EOS-PK Pentax lens adapter but then I ordered the PK-m4/3 adapter from that same company the same day I ordered the GH2 from Panasonic.

·
Registered
33,772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/19590802

That's what I mentioned long ago because it does look like the advanced conponents of the GH2 might be easily able to handle 1080 60p but it always seam like companies don't want their products to be that good so they can keep on selling the new version. For sure, Panasonic would be extremely stupid if the GH3 doesn't get it with the way technology is heading at the moment.

Have you seen some of the mud I'm referring to in some of these videos? It seems they tend to be in some of the shadowed areas, but I can't be sure it's not just Vimeo responsible for it.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'm not so sure what videos your referring to and I always download them rather than judging from the streaming version.

From everything I've read, if there's not much motion, the GH2 is much sharper and more detailed but when you pan the camera extremely fast or are trying to shoot complicated stuff with a bunch of detail, a hacked GH1 will have slightly less mud. Still, I've head issues when using the GH13's native 24p mode which is why there's a lot of people still using 24p within 60i instead of choosing native 24p. At least I'm glad that with the GH2, their are no 24p issues. It's sort of a toss-up. As far as 720 60p goes, I do think in extreme motion, people will easily notice a bigger difference favoring the GH13 over the GH2. As for night shooting, it looks like the GH2 will be much better.

With all that said, the GH2 have already been hacked to provide English Menus in Japanese units. Will the codec be cracked is anybody's guess but if that were to ever happen, things will explode in every camera forum on the net and the GH2 will continue to be hard to find for a while if Panasonic doesn't fix their supply issue.

At one point Panasonic was selling them directly but they quickly sold out. Unlike Canon for example Panasonic is not used to having high dollar cameras selling like crazy and you'd think they'd be more prepared since the GH1 came out. We all know how hard it was to get the GH1 back then.

·
Registered
33,772 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulo Teixeira /forum/post/19591354

As far as 720 60p goes, I do think in extreme motion, people will easily notice a bigger difference favoring the GH13 over the GH2. As for night shooting, it looks like the GH2 will be much better.

I'd see myself using the 1920X1080 60i for motion smoothness and detail. Hopefully the image will be relatively mud-free in that mode.

·
Registered
3,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I don't intend on using the 1080 60i mode hardly at all but I'm also glad it has it because if I'm on a shoot with a couple of NX5 cameras for example and everything needs to be shot in 1080 60i for broadcast reasons, at least I'll be able to use the GH2 on it for certain shots.

1 - 20 of 416 Posts