AVS Forum banner

21 - 40 of 4880 Posts

·
Registered
2,995 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stef2 /forum/post/14969077

So how does the zooming trick for 2.35:1 look? Do pixels become more visible in 2.35:1, does the brightness change a lot, is the light overspill easily visible??? If that PJ performs well with 2.35:1, I want one

I am also interested in amount of light spillage.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
DISCLAIMER: I'm not sure I get the whole 2.35 setting on this thing... If it's just a zoom and ability to set memory for the zoom, then I think I get it. This is what I jsut did:

Ok, zoomed it way out for 2.35, and I think it still looks really good. With light control, I think a person could get away with whatever this this would be. It looks like it's running about a foot off either side, so... 111 + 24 = 135" wide, and I could pull that off if my screen was wider. It appears that the top stays stationary when zooming, FWIW.

Light spill appears to be minimal to negligible. I'm not seeing anything that I would identify as light spillage, but I'm not an experienced critic.

ETA: If I walk up to the screen, I can make small shadow puppets in the "black bars", but it's nothing significant. If I hold the instruction manual up, there is not enough light spill to read it. No better than sitting on the couch.

ETAA: The dark cave scenes in Iron Man look good. I'm watching in "Cinema2" mode.

ETAAA: Now I think I like Cinema3 better. Is seems just titch brighter. I should read the manual and see what the differences are supposed to be.

·
Registered
10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Pedaso /forum/post/14969596

DISCLAIMER: I'm not sure I get the whole 2.35 setting on this thing... If it's just a zoom and ability to set memory for the zoom, then I think I get it. This is what I jsut did:

Ok, zoomed it way out for 2.35, and I think it still looks really good. With light control, I think a person could get away with whatever this this would be. It looks like it's running about a foot off either side, so... 111 + 24 = 135" wide, and I could pull that off if my screen was wider. It appears that the top stays stationary when zooming, FWIW.

Light spill appears to be minimal to negligible. I'm not seeing anything that I would identify as light spillage, but I'm not an experienced critic.

ETA: If I walk up to the screen, I can make small shadow puppets in the "black bars", but it's nothing significant. If I hold the instruction manual up, there is not enough light spill to read it. No better than sitting on the couch.

ETAA: The dark cave scenes in Iron Man look good. I'm watching in "Cinema2" mode.

ETAAA: Now I think I like Cinema3 better. Is seems just titch brighter. I should read the manual and see what the differences are supposed to be.

How far back from the screen is your Projector Stu? Thx for doing that test for me. I am pretty excited about this projector but the lumens issue is giving me some doubts. 2.35 with a 60''x141'' screen in a color accurate mode (cinema mode) would be awesome.

I just hope the bulb on this doesnt lose too much lumens with age.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I am beginning to think this projector doesnt actually exist yet, where in the world are the screen shots?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syfulheim /forum/post/14973287

How far back from the screen is your Projector Stu? Thx for doing that test for me. I am pretty excited about this projector but the lumens issue is giving me some doubts. 2.35 with a 60''x141'' screen in a color accurate mode (cinema mode) would be awesome.

I just hope the bulb on this doesnt lose too much lumens with age.

Ran downstairs with a tape, and it looks like the front of the lens is ~15'8" or so. Between 15 1/2 and 16.

We'll see how the lumens fare over time.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits /forum/post/14973680

I am beginning to think this projector doesnt actually exist yet, where in the world are the screen shots?

I can't find my tripod, but I will try to use the couch or something tonight. I just don't want to take crappy pics that aren't indicative of how nice the picture looks. I also have some rack updates for my build thread.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Here we go!!!

Picked mine up today. This machine is a work of art!!!

Pics:

Opening Box:

Whats Inside:

Back View:

AE3000 VS AX200:

·
Registered
127 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smakovits /forum/post/14973680

screen shots? That only shows you that they've got a decent camera and can edit a picture. I've never understood people's fascination with something so incredibly variable. It's bad enough that 10 pj's will look slightly different, now you've got what screen, what camera, what exposure, and how much did the person edit the photo?

[/rant off i guess]

I certainly don't mind pictures of the actual unit though.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Finally got mine! Still playing around with it. I'll post some updates later.

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Thanks, Looks like no 120Hz input. 87 max on RGB. 120Hz would be awesome for shutterglasses 3D. Guess I will have to get a second AE2000.

Warren.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Got my tracking number.....I will become a proud owner tomorrow morning!

My Marantz SR8002 arrived today......sweet.....

·
Registered
11,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquafire /forum/post/14974192

Here we go!!!

Picked mine up today. This machine is a work of art!!!

Whats Inside:

Back View:

NICE pix, aqua!

That thing looks beautiful but MAN, it's gonna dwarf my old hc3000!

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
I, too, got mine today, replacing my ae1000u with approx. 750 hours on it. Due to daughters waking up from their nap earlier than I'd hoped, I didn't get a lot of time with it, and was only able to dial in basic picture settings for Color 1, Cinema 1, Cinema 3, and Normal with my blu-ray DVE disc. Picture looks very good with brief looks at DirecTV SD and HD, BD, and even streamed DivX files through PS3. Definitely brighter and much better black levels than my ae1000u (which is obviously to be expected), and on par with an Epson 1080ub I was looking at recently. I mostly got the 3000u for higher lumens and better black level over my 1000u, and the poor-man's CIH option was the clincher. Unfortunately I won't be able to play with that option until I get my new Carada 136" 2.35:1 Criterion screen (1.4 gain) up after my basement renovation is completed and I can move the 52" DLP out of my theater.

I'll try to get some pics tonight after the kids are asleep. Any requests for movie material, and/or picture mode (I usually use Cinema 1, but use Color 1 and Normal occasionally depending on the material and ambient light)?

21 - 40 of 4880 Posts