AVS Forum banner

41 - 60 of 4880 Posts

·
Registered
1,260 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo1 /forum/post/14974367

screen shots? That only shows you that they've got a decent camera and can edit a picture. I've never understood people's fascination with something so incredibly variable. It's bad enough that 10 pj's will look slightly different, now you've got what screen, what camera, what exposure, and how much did the person edit the photo?

[/rant off i guess]

I certainly don't mind pictures of the actual unit though.

Screen shots do need to be taken with a grain of salt, but they are fun to look at, and can give you an idea of how the image feels. Screen shots are what I used to sell the wife on a FP. "You mean they can look that good?" "Yeah." If you took a screen shot of a VHS movie on a 25" standard def Sony TV, it's gonna look like ass.

I used to make jokes like "You got ripped off. Your 720x1280 projector is only displaying 300x500," (or whatever the posted image resolution was). Another one from back when LCD's had like negative 10 billion to 1 contrast was "Are you sure that's DLP? It looks like an LCD." Of course, my laptop monitor was LCD. Turn your monitor tint all the way red and then critique their image.

I don't get editing, that should be blatantly wrong/cheating/ridiculous. As long as the projector is the limiting factor in the equation, you can get an idea of how they look. That said, I think it's got to be tough to get an accurate picture.

·
Registered
565 Posts
i already posted this message over in the other AE3000 forum but figured it wouldnt hurt to get the owners opinions as well.

okay last question before i possibly pull the trigger on this unit...actually 2 questions...anyone know how loud the unit is? i cant find a db rating anywhere...and lastly i play PS3, xflop 360 and pc games and use the PS3 for blu ray...say i dont want to ever switch between 16:9 and 2:35 to 1...i can just buy a 2:35 to 1 screen and mount and leave the projector in one spot and just use 2:35 to 1 with all material correct? basically im asking if the source material isnt 2:35 to 1 native its not going to distort it correct? i dont see how it could distort since all movies arent filmed in 2:35 to 1 and as far as video games go???? (im new to 2:35 to 1 in case u cant tell) haha

·
Registered
6,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaveyD4vey /forum/post/14976601

.i can just buy a 2:35 to 1 screen and mount and leave the projector in one spot and just use 2:35 to 1 with all material correct?

No, I don't believe you can do that. If you did, everything in 16:9 would have part of the picture off the screen. When using 2.35:1, you still have a 16:9 image, but the top and bottom black bars are off the screen. If something is 16:9, that would be actual image.

Anyway, there's no reason not to switch between 16:9 and 2.35:1 with this projector. You don't have to move the projector, you just hit a few buttons on the remote and it automatically zooms/unzooms

·
Banned
2,156 Posts
If you leave it zoomed out to 235:1 then you will need to set the projector to zoom back for 16:9 widescreen otherwise you will have a 16:9 image overlapping your 235:1 screen...Basically, when set up right, you will have bars on the sides for 16:9 material and no bars for 235:1...Savvy?

Forgot to mention, this is one of the quietest projectors out there. I just sold my 2000U which is basically the same projector...Could not here it from 3 feet away, right behind my head while viewing movie.

·
Premium Member
2,135 Posts
Most definitely one of the quietest projectors on the market. Heck, my 1000u that this is replacing was quiet, and this was even less noticeable (or I just wasn't paying attention as I was enjoying the picture).

·
Registered
155 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eskimo1 /forum/post/14974367

screen shots? That only shows you that they've got a decent camera and can edit a picture. I've never understood people's fascination with something so incredibly variable. It's bad enough that 10 pj's will look slightly different, now you've got what screen, what camera, what exposure, and how much did the person edit the photo?

[/rant off i guess]

A very good point.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
So what picture mode are you guys using for HDTV? I just finished watching survivor out of the box on NORMAL. Even my wife said wow what a difference. (from AX-200)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bachusTheOld /forum/post/14976726

A very good point.

Not really.

That same sentence has been typed in every screen shot thread since AVS was founded. True, screen shots don't tell the whole story, but they do tell a part of it and they're fun to look at.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine shipped today and will be here early next week.

I am setting up the dedicated theater for the first time. I have a short throw to a smaller screen 100 inch. I am a big gamer and cant handle anything any bigger than that.

Anyways I am using the onkyo 876 receiver and the Carada 100'' 1.0 Gain screen. I will be at 22FL with my short throw and around 17 FL in economy mode.

I will post pics as soon as its all setup.

·
Banned
753 Posts
Which projector do u guys think will be better the Epson 1080ub or this PT-AE 3000U?

·
Registered
85 Posts
UPS said mine will be there monday!
I was wanting it this week, gives me some time to work on the rack and putting up the new screen! Wish me luck...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Well nerverfaithful, if we thought that the Epson would be better we would not be posting on this page... (all in good fun...)

·
Registered
2,367 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly4christ78 /forum/post/14977383

Well nerverfaithful, if we thought that the Epson would be better we would not be posting on this page... (all in good fun...)

lol!

Yeah, this is the new owners thread after all.

·
Registered
700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverfaithful /forum/post/14977376

Which projector do u guys think will be better the Epson 1080ub or this PT-AE 3000U?

I'll take AE3000 for 500, Alex.

Now if you asked Epson 6500UB/7500UB vs the AE3000 I'm going to go with the Epson.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put on 2 hrs and here is my initial criticism in order of importance:

--The black level floor is good, but not as impressive as I expected

--Brightness is borderline in Cinema1,2,3

--Slight color uniformity issue, more red on the left half of screen (hope it improves after ceiling mounting upside down)

--Sharpness is just adequate for 1080p

--Hard to tell for sure, but convergence appears only minor

PS3 BD>HDMI>AE3000 (15ft throw)>110" wide 2.35 Carada BW

FYI-I'm comparing to my Mits HD1000U 720p DLP w/800hrs

·
Registered
414 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oraclation /forum/post/14977690

I put on 2 hrs and here is my initial criticism in order of importance:

--The black level floor is good, but not as impressive as I expected

--Brightness is borderline in Cinema1,2,3

--Slight color uniformity issue, more red on the left half of screen (hope it improves after ceiling mounting upside down)

--Sharpness is just adequate for 1080p

--Hard to tell for sure, but convergence appears only minor

PS3 BD>HDMI>AE3000 (15ft throw)>110" wide 2.35 Carada BW

FYI-I'm comparing to my Mits HD1000U 720p DLP w/800hrs

Wow that soungs pretty negative...I guess I will see tomorrow

·
Registered
101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by logain2000 /forum/post/14977705

Wow that soungs pretty negative...I guess I will see tomorrow

You are better off taking your cues from the pro reviewers out there, and yeah, seeing for yourself.

·
Registered
700 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ][udson /forum/post/14977867

You are better off taking your cues from the pro reviewers out there, and yeah, seeing for yourself.

Now that the AE3000 is out, hopefully well get some Pro reviews soon.

41 - 60 of 4880 Posts