AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 5994 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Figured I would start it since nobody else did. Anyway, I have the 42px75u and figured this would be a good place for people with these models to come and share settings/comments/suggestions etc.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Anybody know what the colored buttons on the remote do besides SD card display functions? They seem pretty prominent on the remote and have almost zero functional use.

I'm pleased that the aspect ratio control on the 75U is smart (compared to the 6U) in that it internally detects SD vs. HD signals and changes from FULL to 4:3 (pillarbox) automatically. Keeps me from cycling through the aspect ratio iterations manually so often. The response time in changing aspect ratio is also very fast.

Is the 3D Y/C filter grayed out on the 42-PX75U settings display because it doesn't exist on this model? It's mentioned in the manual but the manual also applies to the 50".

I think this generation of Panasonic's plasmas do more signal processing than last year's models. I'm going to have to do more observation and research before I can determine what my brain tells me that I'm seeing (scaling seems to be a bit "off" but only visible with on-screen fonts like news broadcasts). So far the purple snake issue is nonexistent on my set. I know because my last set was cursed with them. My first impression was that the PQ wasn't as crisp as my old 6U and the heavier signal processing was implemented in part to fix the snakes, reminiscent of the warnings of PQ decreases on the 6-series "heavy duty" D-board replacement.

Overall pleased with the 75U and waiting to see what the communitiy learns about the product, what issues (and fixes) arise in the near future, and what the heck these colored buttons can do

·
Registered
35 Posts
Is anyone having problems with audio (cutting in and out) via HDMI? I only have the Dish box hooked up to it for now (bedroom TV).

I was just wondering before I start disconnecting equipment from my other TV to hook up to this one so I can see if it's the set or the box.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Coloured buttons are for the EZsync functionality with other Panasonic EZsync products such as their HTIBs, DVD players, etc, etc. Lets you do it all with one remote.

When you press the EZsync button and you have another EZsync product you will see menus appear on the TV screen to give you control over that device. The coloured buttons give you different controls and they vary based on the product connected.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome8283 /forum/post/0

The PE is "Enhanced Def" not "High Def"

The PE is not Enhanced Def; it's HD (768p) just like the PX75U and PX77U. It has a completely different cabinet than the other models EDIT - It's since been determined that the PE77 Cabinet is not like in the early pictures - it shares the cabinet with the PX77U but has a matte black bezel, not shiny like the PX77U. And the PE has a variation of the older duck-foot table stand. There's not much information right now, but it appears that this might be a special model for the big-box stores like Costco etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Have any of you calibrated this set yet? Do you need to break this set in? Is Image retention an issue? I am probably getting this set in a month or two and am very interested in your reviews.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Guys, please post your current TV settings. Here are my settings for the TH50PX77U:

I like this as of now:

Picture Mode: Standard (Changed defaults)

Picture: +20

Sharpness +15

everything else 0

Color Temp: Normal

Color Management: Off

Video NR: Off

3D Y/C filter: On

MPEG NR: Off

firefox1, no I haven't done any calibration. Waiting to get an Avia dvd. Not planning on doing anything special for break-in. Will be care about logos, aspect ratios etc but nothing else..

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:

Information is available if you call Panny directly which I did and was told that the PE model is "Enhanced Def".

That may be, but the manual posted here http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../TH42PE77U.PDF seems to indicate it's an HDTV. This could be an example of the fairly common practice of one hand not knowing what the other is doing.

·
Premium Member
18,322 Posts

Quote:

Information is available if you call Panny directly which I did and was told that the PE model is "Enhanced Def".

Panasonic's telephone CSRs are morons and have no idea about anything related to Panasonic products. They are the LAST place i would ever go for information.

The owners manual for this set says it High Definition and the spec sheet lists the resolution as 1024 x 768p like i said before. Download it and see for yourself

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

The PE is not Enhanced Def; it's HD (768p) just like the PX75U and PX77U. It has a completely different cabinet than the other models, and has a variation of the older duck-foot table stand. There's not much information right now, but it appears that this might be a special model for the big-box stores like Costco etc.

This is correct.

IE:

PE700 = PZ700 with perhaps fewer features and different cosmetics.

PE77 = PX77 with perhaps fewer features and different cosmetics.

PE75 = PX75 with perhaps fewer features and different cosmetics.

Panels remain identical.

And Randy, Panasonic USA CSRs might be morons, I take pride in knowing my stuff

·
Registered
495 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters /forum/post/0

Panasonic's telephone CSRs are morons and have no idea about anything related to Panasonic products. They are the LAST place i would ever go for information.

The owners manual for this set says it High Definition and the spec sheet lists the resolution as 1024 x 768p like i said before. Download it and see for yourself

OK, I stand corrected I will stay away from the morons.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefox1 /forum/post/0

Have any of you calibrated this set yet? Do you need to break this set in? Is Image retention an issue? I am probably getting this set in a month or two and am very interested in your reviews.

My set was calibrated by ChaseRiver Calibrations. All inputs (DVD, OTA HD, HTPC) look great. I really like this set except for its sound. There is a noticeable volume difference between OTA content and commercials.

·
Registered
63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pklake /forum/post/0

I really like this set except for its sound. There is a noticeable volume difference between OTA content and commercials.

I noticed the same thing...but I pipe audio right from my STB to my reciever, so in my case it can't be the TV's sound. I think I've seen other threads that complain about sound differentials between HD stations and regular stations, and between content and commercials.

·
Registered
495 Posts
This problem has existed for a while. It has nothing to do with the TV. It has much to do with audio level variation in programming, SD vs HD vs commercials.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Yea, I know. My TV does t he same thing and its a 27" CRT tv. (I havent bought my plasma yet) It will be quiet as a mouse on one station, then I turn the channel and BAM, it sounds twice as loud. I think it is the signal and not the TV.

1 - 20 of 5994 Posts